Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I turned on the radio and I learned everyone was talking about this supposed scandal now and it was a viral thing. I am feeling more defensive about this culturual trait of ours now. loving judgemental southerners.

The real reason this happens IMO is because the other kids where expected to go home and eat dinner, that's really it. If they where sleeping over or something it would be different. And dinner is a separate thing from snacks.

They discuss this in a local podcast even, literally named "äta hos kompisar":
https://arenan.yle.fi/audio/1-3071751

Exactly, depends also on what people imagine as "guests". Often it is your friend who lives close by that hangs out at your place and vice versa like every day of the week after school. Often with their own dinner times, otherwise you would end up just eating dinner at the friend you spent the most time at during most of the week. You usually check with the other kids parents before having them eat dinner at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I'm baffled at how big of a deal this poo poo has become considering that it started as a single twitter post from an account spouting pro-Russian propaganda with their sources being "a random reddit post" and "a map that I made the gently caress up".

https://twitter.com/MisterABK/status/1531594950504235009

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Falukorv posted:

Exactly, depends also on what people imagine as "guests". Often it is your friend who lives close by that hangs out at your place and vice versa like every day of the week after school. Often with their own dinner times, otherwise you would end up just eating dinner at the friend you spent the most time at during most of the week. You usually check with the other kids parents before having them eat dinner at home.
Thinking back, yeah, I would've had an actual impact on the economy of my best friend's parents growing up if they had been expected to feed me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The real controversy is Scandinavian families that are stingy with visiting kids. I remember raisin counters, watery saft and knekkebrød with nothing but butter.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Knäckebröd just butter is mmm, I still eat that!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Knäckebröd just butter is mmm, I still eat that!

Surskorpa with spread, oh yeah!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A man who somehow has never learned how to drink from a bottle.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

38% of EL voters voted to scrap the EU defense opt-out. :lmao:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

38% of EL voters voted to scrap the EU defense opt-out. :lmao:

The result kinda follows from their recent "stay in NATO until we have a better alternative" policy. The EU may not be good, but it's better than loving NATO on account of that bar being only above joining the Warsaw Pact, if not below. It's the classic argument between doing something better (EU military) or doing something good (???).

Ironically, I found myself agreeing a lot with DF when I heard then argue that opting in would be bad for NATO and our relationship with USA. I just kinda disagree about that being a bad thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

thotsky posted:

The real controversy is Scandinavian families that are stingy with visiting kids. I remember raisin counters, watery saft and knekkebrød with nothing but butter.

Dunno about the other things, but that is the correct and best way to eat knękbrųd.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lotta swedes (and finlandswedes) being oddly defensive of how not getting offered food at friend's houses was fine, akshually

Moving to sweden in the early 90s as a kid was a total culture shock when yeah i'd have to wait in my friends room for 15-20 min while their family ate, or just go home.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

We got a good byob thread out of it. Hopefully this "made up" "Russian propaganda" will lead to more Swedes taking the time to learn how to be good hosts and offer guests food. Having more food than you need is also a good way to be ready for a food supply crisis when Putin invades Sweden.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ted hitler hunter posted:

We got a good byob thread out of it. Hopefully this "made up" "Russian propaganda" will lead to more Swedes taking the time to learn how to be good hosts and offer guests food. Having more food than you need is also a good way to be ready for a food supply crisis when Putin invades Sweden.

Careful, you're gonna get slava'd.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Robot 15 best robot

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Also, has everyone forgotten grandparents? You can't visit mommo/fammo without getting food showed in your mouth. As kids in a small rural village we all where within walking distance of our grandmothers house (we where like 7 cousins living within a km of each other) and we'd visit there and she'd supply us with an endless stream of snacks and soda.

That's just grandmas everywhere, pretty much every culture. Reach a certain age and your only remaining task is to make sure everyone of the younger generations gets fed. Ooh, can't be getting too skinny now.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://twitter.com/LineGoesDown/status/1532531300338376705

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

ted hitler hunter posted:

Go gently caress yourself

Love,
A swede.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My dad needed a couple of planks to mount a new hat shelf so I went with him to the store, in the car the radio was tuned to sveriges radio P1 (because of course it is) and while it was thankfully set to zero volume I noticed the little text which informs you what program is on or what song is playing. They were playing nazi/racist band ultima thule. On P1. Can we just provoke pruttin to nuke this utterly stupid and worthless country to dust or something? :cripes:

It's election year now, isn't it? I wonder what new depths will be reached. Maybe the police will dress up in swastikas and beat up anyone who doesn't look white enough to prevent them from voting? Maybe SD gets a majority and/or storms riksdagen (like the dump supporters but somehow even more stupid and undignified)? Maybe moderaterna/sossarna will win on a platform to abolish all welfare before the end of the year? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised anymore. It's like watching a ship sail out into the harbor and everyone onboard starts competing to see who can rock it the most.

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011
It was probably one of a three part series about the rise of Ultima Thule and how they influenced the top of SD and were partly backed upp by the ones that came before SD, BSS.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

My dad needed a couple of planks to mount a new hat shelf so I went with him to the store, in the car the radio was tuned to sveriges radio P1 (because of course it is) and while it was thankfully set to zero volume I noticed the little text which informs you what program is on or what song is playing. They were playing nazi/racist band ultima thule. On P1. Can we just provoke pruttin to nuke this utterly stupid and worthless country to dust or something? :cripes:

Listen to the documentary, you can even switch off the music when it starts playing so you don't get a rage-aneurysm or something between the talking bits.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm glad I'm often proven wrong. But I'm highly suspicious of why they felt it critical to include that much racist music.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 5, 2022

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

You made me Google Ultima Thule and apparently they are still active as a band.
When they were popular in the 90s, they competed with the black metal bands in being controversial and appealing to teenagers. Seems like they got more of a cult following nowadays than they had back in the days.

Btw, don’t we have a minister that have been caught hailing to Ultima Thule ( she is S so it doesn’t count) and whose boyfriend is the drummer from Raubtier.
Although that probably also applies to a large proportion of Swedes born in the late 70s and who were teenagers at the time and I can imagine a fair portion of them are now in higher public positions given they would be around 45-50.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cool country, but I guess making people prefer literal warzones to asylum centers was the intended effect.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/udland/2022-06-01-ukrainske-kvinder-foeler-sig-utrygge-paa-asylcenter-i-danmark-mere-bange-her-end-i

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Cool country, but I guess making people prefer literal warzones to asylum centers was the intended effect.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/udland/2022-06-01-ukrainske-kvinder-foeler-sig-utrygge-paa-asylcenter-i-danmark-mere-bange-her-end-i

Getting iraqi immigrants to harass your ukranian immigrants is a very wild 4d chess move by the danish government which accomplishes....errr....what exactly?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

Getting iraqi immigrants to harass your ukranian immigrants is a very wild 4d chess move by the danish government which accomplishes....errr....what exactly?

As was argued by nobody, anywhere, and I don't know where you're reading about Iraqis. Danish asylum centers are notoriously, deliberately awful and breed misery, violence and suicides, in an effort to dissuade refugees coming here. Some have even been established inside army training grounds to this effect. It was discussed at length during the last refugee crisis.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
Hah! Get f-ked Uffe.

Turns out Morgan Johansson stays.

I was ready to start hatin' on Kakabaveh but atleast she understood theres more to politics than "force the vote" tier bs.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If the government fucks over Kurds both here and abroad because they decided that NATO is more important I say burn it down. It infuriates me how the whole media sphere heckled Vänstern because they had the gall to not jump on the bandwagon, political consistency be damned.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BigglesSWE posted:

If the government fucks over Kurds both here and abroad because they decided that NATO is more important I say burn it down. It infuriates me how the whole media sphere heckled Vänstern because they had the gall to not jump on the bandwagon, political consistency be damned.

Enhedslisten just voted unanimously in favour of the NATO expansion because they were afraid they'd get bad press.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

This. Bad enough we're being shanghaied into Nato without a say, but having it come at the cost of appeasing Erdogans ego and the expense of the kurds is infuriating, if that's the cost then gently caress them all, let Turkey Veto the whole drat thing, Biden and the US can stew over how badly they fumbled the bag on this one

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

McCloud posted:

Biden and the US can stew over how badly they fumbled the bag on this one

Too bad about Finland burning their long-standing neutrality, because apparently they didn't know diplomats were allowed to lie.

The price was already measured in dead Kurds, though. Nobody's made a peep about Türkiye making further incursions into Syria already. That's how we do at the big boy table.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SplitSoul posted:

Too bad about Finland burning their long-standing neutrality, because apparently they didn't know diplomats were allowed to lie.

The price was already measured in dead Kurds, though. Nobody's made a peep about Türkiye making further incursions into Syria already. That's how we do at the big boy table.

Thank you for spelling the country name like so. D&D should make it a probation-worthy offense to call Türkiye by any other name, mods please respond!

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Turkiet i denna tråd.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am not sure Türkyie even wants to make a deal with some of these demands.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

Thank you for spelling the country name like so. D&D should make it a probation-worthy offense to call Türkiye by any other name, mods please respond!

Sūriyā

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Turkiet i denna tråd.

Kalkonen om jag får be.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Süömiye and Svėrļye

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Suomi.

سوريا

Also referring to Egypt as Masr with no explanation is pretty cool

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
it will always be vitryssland to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Tuppen erdogan och hans kalkonland kan börja dra åt helvete
https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10017478

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Tuppen erdogan och hans kalkonland kan börja dra åt helvete
https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10017478

gently caress Örd˙gaaahn