Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if I hit the spending cap on accolades will it prevent me from upgrading gear for the rest of the week

inquiring minds wish to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Televisio Frankus posted:

I just spent like 2 hours grinding the wrong mob for drops because I can read good. Let this be a lesson.

The hours I’ve wasted in this game skimming the wiki instead of fully reading it is too many. Sometimes it can really mess you up or cost you tons of gil.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vitamean posted:

if I hit the spending cap on accolades will it prevent me from upgrading gear for the rest of the week

inquiring minds wish to know
fairly certain no, the spending cap is just a cap on spending to receive items, but not 100%

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

cool, time to make my million cause these spell scrolls are getting expensive

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Glagha posted:

2: Use Battlemod which has much better text logs but is fuckin arcane to configure and if you Google it it's basically like people asking "wait how do you set these text filters" and like stack overflow it's just a bunch of people being really lovely about "why don't you try reading the documentation"

https://pastebin.com/nsBGWwr0

Here's my filters.xml. It's not that hard it's just all in a different arrangement from the ingame filters (hierarchical).

Battlemod also makes all actions and damage pop up instantly, including skillchain text long before the animation plays. I used to have a config that emulated the default log just to have that advantage alone.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Wanted to ask with the seal drop rate /battlefield drops event coming up, is there any reason to do old BC and KS orbs, or should I just trade them up to the highest version

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Vitamean posted:

Wanted to ask with the seal drop rate /battlefield drops event coming up, is there any reason to do old BC and KS orbs, or should I just trade them up to the highest version

If you can solo Up In Arms you have an extremely EXTREMELY small chance at getting a Kraken Club for 60 Beastmen Seals. I can't think of any other uses for Kindred Seals, though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah trying for k club is the only use for those, aside from turning into the highest rank seals.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Not that I'm doing high end content but I've gotten some conflicting information on whether or not casters should ever melee things. I've seen that there are some good weaponskills available to summoners that are worth getting but I've been told that caster melee just gives mobs TP and is a bad thing to do. Is that outdated information, or does it still hold up and if you don't wanna bonk things with a stick, how are you supposed to get TP? Or is it just a "you don't unless you're solo" sort of thing? I saw black mages can apparently get TP by casting but that's like a job specific ability that I don't think anyone else gets.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If you're soloing then yeah as a caster you should melee, if only to get your trusts to do their thing. Caster weapon skills CAN deal solid damage, but will generally require you to make a gearset specifically for the weaponskill in order to get solid numbers. Generally while playing a caster meleeing won't accomplish much, but tbh you don't feed the monster THAT much TP, so who cares. If you're dtruggling with a specific fight then yeah, that extra bit of saved damage might help, but otherwise gently caress it, bonking things and doing flashy weaponskills is fun.

E: it may also be worth playing Red Mage, which is a caster that WANTS to be meleeing for its en-spells

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 8, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

CodfishCartographer posted:

If you're soloing then yeah as a caster you should melee, if only to get your trusts to do their thing. Caster weapon skills CAN deal solid damage, but will generally require you to make a gearset specifically for the weaponskill in order to get solid numbers. Generally while playing a caster meleeing won't accomplish much, but tbh you don't feed the monster THAT much TP, so who cares. If you're dtruggling with a specific fight then yeah, that extra bit of saved damage might help, but otherwise gently caress it, bonking things and doing flashy weaponskills is fun.

Well I also mean for some of the utility ones like Myrkr and some of the high end staff ones have debuffs attached. I also think there's something about the relic weaponskills but lol if i'm going to do a relic weapon any time soon.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

Well I also mean for some of the utility ones like Myrkr and some of the high end staff ones have debuffs attached. I also think there's something about the relic weaponskills but lol if i'm going to do a relic weapon any time soon.

From a cynical efficiency point of view, the only ones really worthwhile for the bonus effects are the ones that restore MP, as most of the status effect ones won't really be potent enough / last long enough to be worth it and/or can already be applied through some other spell you have.

From a fun gameplay point of view, hell yeah use those fuckers and cause cool flashy lights that lower enemy defense right before you tell ifrit to punch that goblin into next week.

At the endgame meleeing as a caster isn't really done for a few reasons. 1) the enemies get powerful enough to where feeding them TP is a noticeable threat. 2) enemy defense / evasion increases, requiring quite a lot of gear in your engaged gearset to hit reliable for more than 0 damage, to actually build TP quickly. Gear with these stats can be hard to find as a caster, but more importantly: 3) all your refresh gear that keeps you from needing to rest to recover mp is in your idle set, and including them in your engaged set will cut into your TP gain, and vice versa. 4) enemies start using more AOE, and it starts getting more dangerous - as a squishy caster, it's better to stand back and not risk getting instagibbed.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

At least Asura is good for shank supply. Now I can leave for less congested pastures.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Ranzear posted:

At least Asura is good for shank supply. Now I can leave for less congested pastures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkdbcXYlsFw

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I got my defending ring from just trying to get a shank out of my inventory after resubscribing a few years ago. :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Can't you get it from a Unity fight now? Is it even that hard to get anymore?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Glagha posted:

Can't you get it from a Unity fight now? Is it even that hard to get anymore?
Sovereign Behemoth is still a pain in the dick in 2022 and the drop rate is way lower from it, it's a flat 5% from King Behemoth so the best way to do it really is to just buy shanks from people

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sovereign Behemoth is still a pain in the dick in 2022 and the drop rate is way lower from it, it's a flat 5% from King Behemoth so the best way to do it really is to just buy shanks from people

I think it took me 17, such a pain in the rear end because you can’t hold more than one and have to run all over the place to peoples bazaars to get them cheaply.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I don't actually know if it took me more than twenty. This was probably my seventh or eighth since coming back though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Took about 40 shanks on my main when I re-subbed, then of course my alt got it in five or six :shrug:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

50-odd here, much love to my friend who got one after FOUR

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I think I spent about 80mil on shanks to get mine back in the day. Which would have been around 60 runs.
Cost me more than Aegis :(

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
hey does anybody remember who played Truckk back during abyssea era on midgardsormr with us, were they a sponsor or did they have an SA account, plz help an old transu out tia

Aisar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 3, 2022

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I just found my old SQEX token in a box in the closet and decided to take a look at my old FFXI account. Turns out that after a decade both my and my wife's PlayOnline accounts are still active and all our old characters (and mules) are still on Quetz. We ended up leaving FFXI about halfway through Abyssea, about a year before Adoulin came out.

My wife unfortunately has an unwholesome addiction to WoW, and I've pretty much burned out on FFXIV now that Endwalker is done. So... convince me to come back to 11?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's good and much better to play and you have npc party members to help you through most non-endgame content.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
With the exception of, I think, Abyssea you can bring Trusts (NPC party members) to most content. There's a wide variety of ways to teleport through the world as well as mounts to make over world travel faster. The game respects your time more pre-99 and still has a fairly active player base on a few servers. With Rasphodies of Vanadiel you get a variety of passive bonuses as you complete it's quests that further make the game easier.

I made a fresh character a while back and other than the limit breaks, which people will help you with, I got a 99/49 character in less than two months of semi-casual play. I had a few long days of playing mixed in trying to get JP midnight unlocks done. This also includes chunky cuts of old content being unlocked, like most of CoP and ToA. All mostly solo with Trusts.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Trusts are allowed in Abyssea. The only thing that restricts trusts is level capped content, like old BCNM battlefields, and stuff like Salvage and Assaults. There may be other stuff I'm not remembering, but anything that has a level cap trusts are not allowed.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Got these in :toot:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
That's freaking awesome. I still regret not grabbing the City wallets when I had the chance.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
those rule!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

New merch up on the site (it ships from Japan so the shipping rates are ridiculous)

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/hub/merchandise filter by game, Final Fantasy XI

$180 jacket

Crab plush:

Kraken Club plush:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like that jacket a lot

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
gently caress I visited this thread to warn you guys about your physical tokens and instead just spent $200 on plushies. Also lol at $40 shipping.

Anyway check your tokens if you had them for 20 years, I just had to switch to the software authentication for this game as the internal battery was dying.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The $40 shipping is because they don't stock stuff in NA and just ship straight from Japan

They finally switched to being able to use Google Authenticator last year, so you don't have to use their terrible app.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i got this running on steamdeck :cool:

too bad i don’t play anymore :(

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ziasquinn posted:

i got this running on steamdeck :cool:

too bad i don’t play anymore :(

Last time I messed with it on the deck, the performance was very bad. Did you have any luck on that front?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
tbh i didn’t leave my mog house so idk

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ziasquinn posted:

tbh i didn’t leave my mog house so idk

Smart!

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Last time I messed with it on the deck, the performance was very bad. Did you have any luck on that front?

I had it running on Steamdeck and it played very well. Takes quite a bit of setup with their launcher but didn't have to do anything else performance wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
Heads up, don't go to north or south san d'oria because the client crashes (my experience was that it took a while to crash but after it did, it now crashes immediately on logging in so I can't play).

e: there's a workaround, you've got to copy over some dat files. https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/57098/january-2023-version-update/3/#3653150
apparently it only happens if you stand in a specific spot near either the woodworkers' or leatherworkers' guilds, lol

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 11, 2023