Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

dema posted:

Yeah, my brokerage account is making me feel poor. And I'm probably not the only one.

edit; on a more positive note, here are some photos from the other weekend:

Nice to get the car out for a proper drive in the mountains.

Sweet ride and pics. I’ll never forget flying through Guanella Pass and Independence Pass in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tried to test drive this Boxter 781:
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/details/porsche-boxster-preowned-OZEQ53

Dealer said sure, no problem, come down on Saturday.

Dealer emails me later, sorry, computer says no after looking at your license, you can't test drive it, but you can still come have a look and I can take you out in it.

I suspect it's because I only got my car license in September 2021, i.e. less than 1 year old, and their insurers balk at that. Sigh.

I might still go on Saturday. It certainly looks to be a nice car, but I think overpriced by about £10k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why would you, as a vey inexperienced driver, buy a car like that?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Steakandchips posted:

Tried to test drive this Boxter 781:
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/details/porsche-boxster-preowned-OZEQ53

Dealer said sure, no problem, come down on Saturday.

Dealer emails me later, sorry, computer says no after looking at your license, you can't test drive it, but you can still come have a look and I can take you out in it.

I suspect it's because I only got my car license in September 2021, i.e. less than 1 year old, and their insurers balk at that. Sigh.

I might still go on Saturday. It certainly looks to be a nice car, but I think overpriced by about £10k.

I had a white 981 Cayman S. I miss that car.

Went to the dealer for a service appointment. They told me to be patient and that he's hopeful I'll get some good news for next year. :ohdear:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

Nice amount of power and easy to drive car. Sure, maybe it would be overly expensive for a 17 year old that had just been driving for a year. Especially if you expect them to ding it up.

But, I suspect Steakandchips is older than that and has motorcycle road experience.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

dema posted:

Nice amount of power and easy to drive car. Sure, maybe it would be overly expensive for a 17 year old that had just been driving for a year. Especially if you expect them to ding it up.

But, I suspect Steakandchips is older than that and has motorcycle road experience.

To be fair, not that much more motorcycle experience either!

Congrats steak on whatever life circumstances thing changed a couple years ago that seems to have brought you so comfortably into the realm of nice toys!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Motronic posted:

Steakandchips just likes picking fights with dealerships :cheeky:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This conversation made me realize that I've been licensed and driving for over 25 years.

Life moves fast. Buy the Porsche.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Motronic posted:

Because porsches are super easy for literally anyone to drive, due to good engineering and electronics.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Because porsches are super easy for literally anyone to drive, due to good engineering and electronics.

So are toyotas and fords, with the benefit of costing less to repair.

I've seen and heard of too many adult new drivers with entirely too much confidence in their own driving abilities to ever consider a new or newish car to be a good idea. And it's an even worse idea for cars that are more expensive to repair.

But whatever, not my money.

Also, have fun paying the insurance bill.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Motronic posted:

So are toyotas and fords, with the benefit of costing less to repair.

I've seen and heard of too many adult new drivers with entirely too much confidence in their own driving abilities to ever consider a new or newish car to be a good idea. And it's an even worse idea for cars that are more expensive to repair.

But whatever, not my money.

Also, have fun paying the insurance bill.

He's replacing/adding to an older BMW and has several cool motorcycles with quite a bit more performance than a 718 boxster. Pretty sure Steak will be alright.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I’m 36. Didn’t need to drive when I lived in London so I had no license till I moved to a rural area.

I like bikes and cars!

I’ll go see the Porsche on Saturday.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Also thanks Russian Bear :)

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Also the UK driving test involves more than just driving around the block and parking the car once.

Get the car. It's just money.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Will deffo be heading there tomorrow for a look see!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Does any major manufacturer even build a 'difficult to drive' car anymore? I feel like you'd have to go out of your way to even find a 20 year old car that is..

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

I think it's going to be a coin flip at the end of the day. Racing Green is the frontrunner at the moment, especially since I've been looking at green cars for years now. Just don't want to make a mistake/get something that looks awful.

edit: And of course, I actually have to have my order turn in to an allocation.

I'm very late to this but imo Birch green / lichtgrun / #253, my dear sir :tipshat:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Does any major manufacturer even build a 'difficult to drive' car anymore? I feel like you'd have to go out of your way to even find a 20 year old car that is..

Think that's more the small production number companies now and mostly British examples come to mind like say Caterham or TVR. Not difficult to drive in that they're setup weird or in some strange way but more in the this car will do nothing to stop you from killing yourself and offers no driving aids. Otherwise you're likely looking at 30+, if not 40+, year old cars because 20 years ago was 2002 and all the driving aids were pretty standard by then.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

I'm very late to this but imo Birch green / lichtgrun / #253, my dear sir :tipshat:

Definitely not too late: no idea if I’m ever getting a car since I’m not in a rush to overpay for one.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Dodge Viper comes to mind. And people seem to like putting Mustangs into pedestrians/spectators.

My F150 can be a bit of a pain to park. Though, backup camera alleviates most of that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any 996/986 havers replace the factory head unit?

I'm finally toying with the idea of getting one of those Continental units with MP3/Bluetooth to replace the OEM CDR210 head unit. Probably going with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V7CM5HY?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_0CF27YC1Y7M3WQC73B42

The orange coloring and overal asthetic works and since I plan to keep the OEM CD storage under it I'm not against it including a CD player.

I have the 490 Hifi (Nokia amp in the frunk).

I plan to keep everything else stock for the time being, but I really don't care of the head unit goes through the factory amp or just directly powers the speakers since the head unit seems to have 100 watt output.

Question is this:
I want a super, easy installation with as few (if any) wire cuts/splices. I found this kit that seems to do what I want:
https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/iso-cable-porsche-996boxster-m490

It's going to be about $100 by the time I get my hands on it, which isn't the end of the world obviously, but is it needed? Are there other "plug and play" kits a person could be looking at?

Also, do we know what kind of tool is needed to remove the head unit? I think this style?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WUQUU0?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_ZXPSXN8Y8YBTH0APF3P7

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I bought the head unit and wiring harness from bergvillfx.com and was able to do it myself. They're legit.

Not sure what kind of tool I used to replace the previous aftermarket head unit, but it was something like that.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
That conti unit looks really slick. I have a Sony XAV-AX5000 double din unit but it came already installed in the car, so I can't help you there. For what it's worth, I like it enough. The carplay functions are cool and it is tied to a backup camera (that stopped working the day I got it).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I bought the Conti for my 993 (albeit the one without a CD player) because it had bluetooth and seems to be the unit of choice for people looking for an OEM look. I told myself if I was unhappy with it I'd buy the full PCCM version. I've felt 0 need to spend the $1k on the Porsche unit because I can stream 80s rock and 90s blink-182 just fine.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Will deffo be heading there tomorrow for a look see!

I was there on Saturday. The 718 white boxter had sold by Saturday morning, so I didn't sit in someone's already-sold car (it was still there).

I did sit in a same-gen Spyder, which was nice, and apparantly was similar ergo-wise; it felt fine.

They said I could test drive one if it was an accompanied ride, which their insurance should be fine with, but unaccompanied is going to be refused (as it was previously).

I'll test drive one when they get one in I am interested in.

sk8bored
May 23, 2007
Hi Porsche thread! Just picked up my first :) it’s a 06 Cayman S with 41k. 2 owner car with full service history. I had a few lotus’s in the past and then took a 10 year break from fun toys to drive so it’s nice to be back in something that actually feels like a “sports” car again.
It came with a set of 19” lobster claws with some conti all seasons but I was able to snatch up a set of OZ allegeritas with some Bridgestones from a autox club member who used to run a CS for a steal. It’s a pasm car so I was looking into the pss9 coil overs as the next mod and keeping the system working but that puts me almost at KW V3 territory. Anyone here have input on coil overs? Also looking to go with a soul cat back for a little more sound.
So far I’m super happy with the cayman, excited to get it out for a track day and a little autox.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Cracking car mate. Porsches look exceptional in white.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nice buy, 987's look real nice in white. For the suspension I have B16s on my pasm car and they are excellent for daily use in regular mode as well as running through the mountains in sport mode, the PPS9 should be even better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, nice score. I also like white.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My old neighbor had a 2 car garage with a recent Macan and a 987 cayman s in white next to it, along with a giant Porsche flag on the wall. It looks so choice in white.

sk8bored
May 23, 2007
Yeah I really like the white with the stone leather interior. Hides all the paint swirls too 😂 might spring for paint correction later but for now I’m just giving it a few coats of wax.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I know the 981 has a tunable aftermarket PASM controller option but never checked for the 987. Might be something to look into.

sk8bored
May 23, 2007
Looks like it’s 987.1 friendly need the motion sensor too though. Might look into this after coil overs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Paint correction and ceramic coating is worth it IMO, makes keeping it looking clean super easy. If my friend ever gets a free weekend he's going to finish the paint correction, polish the headlights and toss on a ceramic coating.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Maybe a dumb question, but what actually is the process for getting on a GT-car waitlist? I've wanted a GT3 for a while but never thought I could get on the list.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Talk to a dealer? Preferably one you have a relationship with... but if you don't you need to start somewhere?

That said, with the super low production right now it's not good odds. A friend of mine wanted to get on a list for ordering a new Cayman and they basically told him it's not looking good before everything gets electrified ~2025.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leo posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but what actually is the process for getting on a GT-car waitlist? I've wanted a GT3 for a while but never thought I could get on the list.

A minimum of a relationship of buying new cars from a dealership every year or two for at least 3+ cars. Probably even more now.

This is one of the reasons lightly used GT3s cost more than new: it's a cheaper way to get one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leo posted:

I moved cities last year and talked to a sales guy while getting a car serviced. When the gt4rs got announced I contacted him and I theoretically have an order in for one.

We’ll see if anything comes of it.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Does anyone in the thread have experience owning/running Porsche Cayennes, specifically the 2nd gen (958)? I'm eyeing up the platform as a tow car plus general utility vehicle as for a midsize SUV it has excellent tow capacity, and in the 958.2 E-Hybrid form, acceptable fuel economy when not towing.

From what I can see, the main mechanical issues in this generation are with the V8 models, however I'm curious what the longevity of the hybrid systems are as they are getting near the 10 year mark. I'm happy doing my own maintenance, but hybrid systems would be way out of my wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Might be others, but Bajaha is your guy.