Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Chaser X.
https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/arai-chaser-x-gene-fluo-yellow-sale/

They name the UK helmets different to the American ones.

Understood re foam breakdown, but I don't expect meaningful degradation within 3 to 4 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

God drat helmets are expensive. :(

Arais in particular are stupid expensive. Better part of $900 for one with graphics, most equivalent Shoei models are $100-200 less expensive and they're every bit as well made.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Fifty Three posted:

Welp, after nursing an RF-1100 along for far too long this thread finally convinced me to buy a Signet-X for my H. R. Giger-esque head. God drat helmets are expensive. :(
If you have an RF-1100 head, try out the GT Air 2. I found the RF-1200 didn't fit me without a forehead Hotspot, but the Air 2 did fine. Haven't tried the 1400.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

If you have an RF-1100 head, try out the GT Air 2. I found the RF-1200 didn't fit me without a forehead Hotspot, but the Air 2 did fine. Haven't tried the 1400.
My head is slightly narrower than an ideal RF-1100 head, so we'll see how this goes. Appreciate the tip!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

TheBacon posted:

Remember that helmets do have a shelf life regardless of how much they are worn due to the foam breaking down a bit naturally over time.

That, and check for the actual manufacture date (if you've got a brand in mind, find out in advance where they put it). I made the mistake of assuming the one I got from CycleGear would be same-year, but it was manufactured 11/2019, bought by me 2 years later. People on the internet have claimed to have success negotiating prices downward based on this, but can't say I've tried.

If you're buying from some random guy who has a stack of Arais in boxes in the loft over his auto garage, definitely check the manufacture date. Got my 2nd helmet this way after a crash around 2006, didn't find out till I threw it out this winter that it had already been 4 years old when I bought it, so about 10 years old by the time I'd stopped using it.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
have any of you had custom motocross jerseys made and, if so, are there any purveyors you'd recommend? looking for something with one-off capabilities for my goofy personal jokes

(let me specify that I want to design my own custom jersey with full print graphics, not just name/number on the back)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m seeing Shoei lids discounted 10% across all American outlets (they’re all the same so no surprise), just fyi!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

If you're wearing a Signet because you really need that long oval shape, good fuckin' luck trying to find anything else that fits even remotely as well. There are a ton of things I dislike about the Signet-X but I'll be damned if I can find another helmet that is as comfortable. Arais are stupid expensive and come with a lot of annoying quirks, but they're the only helmets I've found that aren't annoying or downright painful after 20 minutes.

Quote for truuuuuuuth. I traded a Shoei RF-1100 for my signet x and I vastly prefer the Shoei for its build quality, ventilation and quietness. But that Arai fits so, so good tho

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've yet to try on a helmet that felt as good as my Arai. Haven't tried everything though. Schuberth? AGV? Having seen inside the cheek pads of several helmets I know that Arai uses multi layered foam of different densities, I wonder if that's part of it. I also like that their pads seem wider with more square inches in contact with the face.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been wearing a Tourmaster Transition jacket for like the last, gently caress, 11 years, and it's become concerningly threadbare! At the time it was a great value for the money, and warm as it was I could wear it most of the riding season here, but they seem to have become kind of thin on the ground in Canada. Any suggestions on a decent replacement that doesn't cost Klim/Revit $$$$?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think if you keep your jackets for a decade, you can probably splurge a bit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sure, that's a consideration. OTOH if it was good enough for me for that long, and, since it's textile, I'm going to be throwing that entire investment away if I crash in it and it does its job, why would I want to pay more?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
do you by chance work for harbor freight?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

do you by chance work for harbor freight?

Lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, I see what's happening here and what guy I'm being

Still gonna be that guy

My view is, with textile gear, if you crash, it's finished whether you paid $200 or $900 for it. (Except for Aerostitch, apparently, and I don't know if that's still the case.) Unless the $900 jacket is literally four times better to wear than the $200, or it performs four times better in a drop, I don't really see the point in chasing the diminishing returns. It'd be different if it wasn't a one-use-only item!

But, I don't think I've ever checked with my insurance agency about gear replacement, and I'm due for a renewal anyway, so I'll give them a shout too.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Phy posted:

My view is, with textile gear, if you crash, it's finished

It'd be different if it wasn't a one-use-only item!

How often do you plan on crashing?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Phy posted:

But, I don't think I've ever checked with my insurance agency about gear replacement, and I'm due for a renewal anyway, so I'll give them a shout too.
Don't remember where you are, but with most insurance policies I've seen in the US, they include something like $500 of gear replacement in most motorcycle policies, and you can add more. Depending on the specific carrier and policy of course, and whether it would be worth premium hit to make a claim.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Phy posted:

Alright, I see what's happening here and what guy I'm being

Still gonna be that guy

My view is, with textile gear, if you crash, it's finished whether you paid $200 or $900 for it. (Except for Aerostitch, apparently, and I don't know if that's still the case.) Unless the $900 jacket is literally four times better to wear than the $200, or it performs four times better in a drop, I don't really see the point in chasing the diminishing returns. It'd be different if it wasn't a one-use-only item!

With how popular textile adv gear is, you usually do get more protection if you spend a little more money. I haven't seen any $200 jackets that are rated any higher than A, whereas Klim has a AAA rated textile (granted it's like $1500). Having said all that, you can probably find an AA rated jacket with the features you desire under $500 ish though.

Do you also buy cheap helmets because you might use them?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 2, 2022

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

I've been wearing a Tourmaster Transition jacket for like the last, gently caress, 11 years, and it's become concerningly threadbare! At the time it was a great value for the money, and warm as it was I could wear it most of the riding season here, but they seem to have become kind of thin on the ground in Canada. Any suggestions on a decent replacement that doesn't cost Klim/Revit $$$$?
I'm considering buying an Alpinestars Halo Drystar, the temperature versatility would be really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMA5axr-Syc

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Maybe it’s just a result of being a bigger guy, but I couldn’t find anything that cost $200 that didn’t feel like I was wearing a plastic sausage casing. My Sedici jacket felt like the forearms were made of magnifying glasses. Absolutely cooked my arms and I ended up buying a whole other jacket for summer riding even though it was vented enough to theoretically be fine. My Rev’it also has black forearms, but doesn’t have that same problem at all.

Even without considering safety, all the cheap poo poo I tried felt like cheap poo poo.

I think the extra on my insurance to cover a decent amount of gear comes to a couple bucks a month, tops.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Actual useful suggestions instead of snark, these are the jackets i was looking at before i decided that leather was the right call for me.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-offtrack-jacket

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-tornado-3-jacket

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xakura posted:

How often do you plan on crashing?

I don't, but it's a possibility every time I get on the bike, which is why we're wearing gear in the first place??

Russian Bear posted:

With how popular textile adv gear is, you usually do get more protection if you spend a little more money. I haven't seen any $200 jackets that are rated any higher than A, whereas Klim has a AAA rated textile (granted it's like $1500). Having said all that, you can probably find an AA rated jacket with the features you desire under $500 ish though.

Do you also buy cheap helmets because you might use them?

Thank you, this is useful information! At the time, the Tourmaster had great reviews, not just for the price. (Tbh I don't remember what I paid for it at the time, it was in a local store so I can't look up the receipt in my emails. The current one runs like $200 US.) But like I said, it's been a long-rear end time since I bought a jacket and I'm not opposed to the idea that I'm out of the loop. Sorry if I'm being oblivious, but "rated AA" by who?

To answer your second question, all of my helmets have been around $2-300 from HJC or Scorpion. They've all fit well, they've all had decent approvals for the time. And yes, given the riding season here, and what I know about my own habits, I've made the choice, given the above, to not get into a more expensive helmet. Even if I don't wipe, I'm replacing it every few years, and when I'm only actually riding for half that time or less, I don't see the increased comfort as being worth double or more the cost. If I were riding more I might, or if motorcycling were my only inadvisable and expensive pastime I might, but neither of these are true.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of why I kept the Tourmaster so long is that it was comfortable for me anywhere from around freezing to the mid 20s (Celsius) over top of whatever clothes I'd be wearing that day anyway, without adding the liner. Also was moderately water resistant. Less so the older it's got, of course.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Phy posted:

Sorry if I'm being oblivious, but "rated AA" by who?

They redid the CE ratings recently.

https://www.revitsport.com/us_en/learning-center/revit-ce-certification/

C: impact
B: abrasion
A: impact and abrasion
AA: wow even better
AAA: A+++ would buy again

in theory you could put on C armor and a B jacket and have an A jacket, maybe good if you’re riding dual sport. I think this is a self certify situation but I may be wrong. As always, the difference between the A/AA/AAA is the trade off of comfort vs protection (and price).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This also has some additional info and what the darmstad machine is:

https://pandomoto.com/blog/why-ce-approved-gear-is-a-must-for-every-rider/

Classification AAA: The highest level, demanding four seconds of abrasion resistance with the machine spinning at 707.4rpm (the equivalent of 120km/h) in Zone 1, two seconds at 442.1rpm (about 75km/h) in Zone 2 and one second at 265rpm (around 45km/h) in Zone 3.

Classification AA: More suited to touring gear, this specifies two seconds in Zone 1 at 412.6rpm (about 70km/h), one second at 265.3rpm in Zone 2 and 0.5 seconds at 147.4rpm (the equivalent of around 25kmh) in Zone 3.

Classification A: Deemed suitable for urban riding, with Zone 1 requiring one second of abrasion resistance at 265.3rpm and half a second at 147.4rpm in Zone 2.

Classification B: same as A, but impact protectors are not required.

Classification C: covers garments such as the mesh under-suits that have impact protection for off-road riding.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I am of the mindset that if I crash and the garment is toast, having paid more will be a good thing, because less of me will need costly rehabilitation or repairs. This let me spend the money on a new .06 helmet despite my old one being in good nick and is the same reason I am putting D3O Level 2 armor in my cheap jacket.

Oh yeah also I can get textiles repaired professionally nearby, so really any damage that isn't life threatening will probably be repairable. Rips, burns, tears, zippers and much more are all no problem for the motorcycle seamstress here. They are even goretex certified.

Having already gone through a few iterations of gear by now, always go for the 'nicer' option if you can afford it, most of the time you actually get value back for your money. Hell, having become more wary on protectors, often times the price difference between cheap and expensive jackets is just the cost of a good back protector, but the nicer model actually has several other improvements and comes with the back protector included for example.

Also, my mesh pants (Held Zeffiro) have a massive design flaw: They are extremely swampy in the crotch area with no ventilation to speak of. This makes them worse for crotch comfort than my 'normal' pants which have a way nicer internal liner. Did not realize this when I bought them and am really disappointed by this fact. This really kinda makes them pointless during hot days.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I bought a pair of Dainese gloves last month, and I am pretty disappointed in them so far. I've worn them for maybe around 10 hours now, and they haven't gotten any better. I bought them to match my Dainese jacket, because I am precious. I’m actually really impressed with the jacket, which is why I even looked at their gloves, but they are so far off the mark in comparison. The last time I took them on a longer ride I actually packed a second pair of gloves, just in case.

They have a D-Dry liner/membrane, which is probably the biggest problem. They just feel very spongey. The gauntlet part of the glove has some thin layer of foam in it (or maybe the D-Dry liner?). It just feels cheap as a result. The leather honestly feels fake (on that part — not the whole glove).

Besides that, the wrist cuff is too small. I can barely get it to close. It’s like they made the strap 2-3cm too short to save money. When I pull it tight, it seems to bunch up and put some pressure into my wrist.

The knuckle protector is hard plastic/TPU, which I guess is fine, but it’s only CE1 instead of 2. Also, I can at times feel it on my knuckles, which definitely is not fine.

It has touch screen material on the index and thumb, but it’s not on the actual tip but more your fingerprint. It works but sometimes it’s a challenge to getting smaller UI elements. Pinch-to-zoom is pretty difficult. I was thinking maybe Dainese believes in stitching fingers a certain way they would make putting the touch material at the actual tip impossible, but just taking a quick look in their website, that’s definitely not the case.

There’s no palm slider. Or, there is, but is made of foam and covered in leather, which seems to me to defeat the purpose.

No visor wiper either. Seems like a minor complaint but I think it’s a nice touch on a waterproof glove.

For comparison, I have a pair of Alpinestars Patron gloves which have none of these problems. When I first got those I thought they were too tight as well, but they worn in nicely. I am hoping the same happens with the Dainese, but no luck so far, and that might not fix everything anyway.

tl;dr: Alpinestars gloves good, Dainese gloves bad. Get a WP glove with “Gore Grip.” Liners suck rear end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll have to check which gloves I have, but my experience with Dainese has been very hit or miss.

My original Carbon short gloves were amazing feeling, had enough protection that they got me through two lowsides, and weren't big and bulky. But. they also had some weird suede-ish palm that turned to shag carpet within six months (don't think it was due to my offs, I fell on the same hand both times and both gloves were lovely). I replaced them with a fully leather pair of ... I don't even remember what they are, probably another Carbon. Excellent build quality, but the leather is so thicc that I feel like I'm wearing oven mitts. They also give me this weird pressure spot on my pinky knuckle in just one hand, so as a catch 22 I don't wear them enough to break in the lather, because... in a fit of frustration over the pinky pain after one ride I replaced THOSE with another set of Carbon gloves I say carbon or cabon-like because I don't actually remember what they are, I probably did when I bought them but just trying to navigate their product line after the fact is annoying with the same setup but another one of those suede-like palms because they test-fit a little looser and gave me more feeling for the controls. Plus these have a touchscreen pad on the index finger so I can pull over and donk with my music or drag my map without needing to take my gloves off. Downside is that I'm constantly fretting about the palms turning to shag again.

In reality that last pair has done really well for me, has a high enough gauntlet that it protects way more of the wrist than my original carbon shorts did, but it took three attempts to find something I was happy with. Knowing Dainese, they will be a thing of the past when it's time to replace them in X years so I'll be playing roulette again.

I'm kind of "over" matching all my gear now. When I started I was super Dainese spaceboy, but as time goes on I'm just getting whatever fits right and feels good at the time, that also won't kill me. For gloves, the thing I don't want to really give up on in future is the availability of a palm slider and pinky over-extension protection/webbing. Which kid of stinks since that really leaves me with spaceman gloves as an option, I think.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jackets: Dainese > Astars
Gloves: Dainese < Astars

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I really like my Carbon 3 gauntlets. I was specifically looking for a gauntlet that had a hard uncovered scaphoid slider since that’s the most common broken hand thing. The pinky connector would have been nice but seems like that’s a full on race glove feature mostly and I wanted to spend under $200. I think there’s a revit glove around 200 that has double palm sliders too. Nothing from A* had a hard scaphoid slider under like 250 when I was looking. Maybe they released a new one.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I used to like astars gloves a lot but I’ve found that revit sizes theirs just a tiny bit smaller and their L fits my hand, well, like a glove

their goretex dominator 3s have been fantastic for southern spring rain. nice to be able to consolidate my collection to a heated set, a spring / fall WP set, and a summer set

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I've tried on almost every glove Dainese makes and yeah they're incredibly hit or miss in fit and features. I settled on the Mig C2 for summer use and the Scout 2 for winter, and a pair of Rukka Viriums for the in-between. So far they're all holding up pretty well and I'm covered for just about all the weather we get in the PNW.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So my Held Mesh pants are an utter disappointment, because they flow 0 air into the crotch area, instead the entire area has generous non-breathable fabric spread out all over. The crotch climate is worse than it was with my 'touring' pants, which I think was due to the better liner.
I've been looking at alternatives, and there are a few available with mesh reaching firther up locally, as well as a few online that seem to actually let the mesh reach your crotch. Having been burned on the Zeffiro already and no way to return it, I was thinking maybe there's some way to add some breathable fabric to allow airflow down there? Any other tricks that might help?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's more money to spend, but Klim mojave over the boot variant has mesh galore. It looks offroady though. Hip and knee pockets for armor.
https://www.klim.com/Mojave-Pant-3143-004?quantity=1&color=1814

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

So my Held Mesh pants are an utter disappointment, because they flow 0 air into the crotch area, instead the entire area has generous non-breathable fabric spread out all over. The crotch climate is worse than it was with my 'touring' pants, which I think was due to the better liner.
I've been looking at alternatives, and there are a few available with mesh reaching firther up locally, as well as a few online that seem to actually let the mesh reach your crotch. Having been burned on the Zeffiro already and no way to return it, I was thinking maybe there's some way to add some breathable fabric to allow airflow down there? Any other tricks that might help?

take a look at Rukka's summer gear, the AirAll/Air4All/etc. line made from Cordura AFT

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

TotalLossBrain posted:

Recommendations for riding jeans for a short goon? My pants are usually 34/29 or maybe 36/29 depending on brand

Late reply, but after trying a few brands from Revzilla and being disappointed in them with my 29" inseam, I took a shot with Dyns and pre-ordered direct from them at https://dynsjeans.com/. I like them so much I pre-ordered their upcoming cargo jeans too.

L2 knee and hip pads included, and both the knee and hip sleeves are stitched in more, or for lack of a better explanation, the hip armor stays in place better and I don't catch my foot in between the knee armor and the front of the jeans when putting them on that happens annoyingly too often with other brands.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
First ride with the new Airwave mesh jacket last night. Only 24C and not super humid, but it felt good, and the added chest armor gives a nice extra sense of safety for next time I have to go out on the highway. Looking forward to going out with the full pants & jacket combo.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

First ride with the new Airwave mesh jacket last night. Only 24C and not super humid, but it felt good, and the added chest armor gives a nice extra sense of safety for next time I have to go out on the highway. Looking forward to going out with the full pants & jacket combo.

it’s good. I like mine. wish they had a grey or at least non black colorway though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I got the white combo:

Only beef so far is that my old Fieldsheer had a pretty decent inside pocket for wallet+insurance things, and this has nothing unless you count where the chest armor goes lol