Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

America, "figure it out yourself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

LastInLine posted:

That's not exactly true. Conservatives don't want to tear things down in the sense that we, the left, do. They do believe in a vision of America as it exists and a path by which that vision can become reality. But they don't believe that it's just the people in charge which are the problem. I mean they do believe that but not *just* that; they believe that "mistakes" have been made which need to be undone.

The key difference between a lib ("America is already great") and a conservative is that conservatives see a political means to accomplish their goals and libs lack political goals of any kind. Conservatives are building something, libs merely wish to use the existing political machinery for graft. Both will tell you they're fans of America, but make no mistake that conservatives very much want to change it.

I'm not going to quote Dr. Kyle Farnsworth but all of that is correct. I understand the quibble with the idea of conservatives wanting to "tear it down" but I feel like that was more a poor word choice because should the conservative project be completed, as seems more likely every day, America would indeed be completely changed (although I would also argue it could not be described as torn down, simply more naked in what it has always been).

It's a confusing time because the liberals have cultural hegemony and control of the institutions of power. Thus liberals are the real conservatives in that they want to preserve the current status quo, while right-wingers are now reactionary wanting to roll back the clock to an earlier uncorrupted era of governance like the Protestant Reformation trying to rewind the church to primitive Christianity.

It's a a very unstable ruling coalition, it's hard not to see the parallels to 1930s rising fascism era or the 1848 liberal revolutionary regimes that almost instantly collapsed because their base of support (educated liberals) was so narrow. You get the impression a halfway competent strongman could seize control of the whole system and the majority of this country would just shrug their shoulders.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A lot of people would affirmatively support it if the strongman started clearing some entrenched people out of their cushy positions, frankly

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

hailthefish posted:

yeah if you wanna get a lib really fuckin mad point out that they're definitionally a conservative

(and they get even madder when you point out that the people who call themselves conservatives are literally just fascists)

The Democratic Party and it’s associated apparatus of PACs, think tanks, NGOs, etc all exist solely to give people on the inside and their friends/families six figure cushy jobs forever. That’s it. Like back in 2016 I remember how Clinton supporters refused to accept that no one was accusing the Clintons of directly being bribed by Clinton Foundation donations the whole purpose of the Clinton Foundation was that it gave them the means to hand out thousands of patronage jobs that bought them influence with the families of the people that got those jobs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's a a very unstable ruling coalition, it's hard not to see the parallels to 1930s rising fascism era or the 1848 liberal revolutionary regimes that almost instantly collapsed because their base of support (educated liberals) was so narrow. You get the impression a halfway competent strongman could seize control of the whole system and the majority of this country would just shrug their shoulders.

How does this not describe what trump has already done

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

trump in no way has "control of the whole system"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yeah he was maybe in a position to do that but basically just shrugged because it would have been more work than posting

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah the system pushed back hard and Trump wasn't the kind of guy to throw down with it other than on twitter

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah he was maybe in a position to do that but basically just shrugged because it would have been more work than posting

one almost has to admire his level of laziness

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok but since then the republicans have built the machinery to install him as president no matter what the real result of the next presidential election is

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WampaLord posted:

one almost has to admire his level of laziness

I don't know if it occurred to him in the moment that he could have lead those people to the Capitol building and actually accomplished something because who tf is gonna arrest the president, but it will never not be funny to me that the real reason he didn't is because it was too long of a walk and he wanted to go home and watch TV and eat lunch

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hailthefish posted:

lmao

yeah show me all the powerpoints you want about how great The Economy is, it won't change the fact I'll never be able to own a home, never be able to retire, hell I'll be stuck sharing a studio apartment with 2-3 other people until I loving blow my brains out lmao

Bullshit. In reality you are living in a large house and have $500,000 in retirement funds. Everything you perceive in your life is a delusion.

DoubleDonut posted:

is it even better for anyone in the aggregate? I’m legitimately not sure who’s doing better that wasn’t already very comfortably rich

I feel like the figures either stem from a lot of people leaving the workforce (low unemployment rate, but partly as a result of low labor participation rate) or nation-wide economic metrics like GDP improving (which is just rich people getting richer).

Or in many cases are just comparing against the height of the pandemic.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

ok but since then the republicans have built the machinery to install him as president no matter what the real result of the next presidential election is

who cares

the presidency isn't the cia

there's vast levels of power beyond whoever the president is

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I don't know if it occurred to him in the moment that he could have lead those people to the Capitol building and actually accomplished something because who tf is gonna arrest the president, but it will never not be funny to me that the real reason he didn't is because it was too long of a walk and he wanted to go home and watch TV and eat lunch

#relatable #goals

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

fast cars loose anus posted:

A lot of people would affirmatively support it if the strongman started clearing some entrenched people out of their cushy positions, frankly

if trump had actually been serious about his "drain the swamp" rhetoric and e.g. abolished the CIA? I would definitely have been all aboard.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The Democrats are succeeding, actually. The narrative that the party went too Left and got crushed because of it is already locked into place. At this point, Dem reps are impatiently looking at their watches waiting for the ritual to be over.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The Democrats are succeeding, actually. The narrative that the party went too Left and got crushed because of it is already locked into place. At this point, Dem reps are impatiently looking at their watches waiting for the ritual to be over.

100%. Losing the election will be an excuse for what they wanted to do anyway. They failed in 2020 because they actually had to look like they were doing something after regaining control.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Winifred Madgers posted:

if trump had actually been serious about his "drain the swamp" rhetoric and e.g. abolished the CIA? I would definitely have been all aboard.

Yeah for sure

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Shear Modulus posted:

To exercise real autocratic control you'd need to purge the bureaucracies. Which obviously Trump was too unfocused and lazy to even attempt to do.

If attempted, it might well be possible though, particularly with the current makeup of the supreme court. And again, would the majority of the country really care all that much if the President fired a bunch of unelected bureaucrats? It would be a violation of our sacred norms, but how many people really believe in system and its norms at this point?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

To exercise real autocratic control you'd need to purge the bureaucracies. Which obviously Trump was too unfocused and lazy to even attempt to do.

If attempted, it might well be possible though, particularly with the current makeup of the supreme court. And again, would the majority of the country really care all that much if the President fired a bunch of unelected bureaucrats? It would be a violation of our sacred norms, but how many people really believe in system and its norms at this point?

well, he did a pretty good job at purging the bureaucracies of a lot of professional bureaucrats that actually made the bureaucracy function without even trying by prompting mass resignations. He also facilitated the complete takeover of the ultimate political-bureaucratic authority by completing the takeover of the supreme court, which gave him and the republicans ultimate control over every facet of the bureaucracy (even moreso than the president who is nominally in control of the federal bureaucracy, since the court can overrule the president).

e: oh you already mentioned the court

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

.1 seconds after they officially lose the house, they are gonna rant about how defund the police caused them to lose

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the left blaming began last fall when they torpedoed themselves in the VA gov race with another Clinton succophant in mcauliffe

the Republicans are going to have a 10 or 15 seat majority in the house, and probably 2 seats in the Senate

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

well, he did a pretty good job at purging the bureaucracies of a lot of professional bureaucrats that actually made the bureaucracy function without even trying by prompting mass resignations. He also facilitated the complete takeover of the ultimate political-bureaucratic authority by completing the takeover of the supreme court, which gave him and the republicans ultimate control over every facet of the bureaucracy (even moreso than the president who is nominally in control of the federal bureaucracy, since the court can overrule the president).

e: oh you already mentioned the court

yeah he already swept away almost everyone at the state department for example lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mqgCliinQ

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Srice posted:

.1 seconds after they officially lose the house, they are gonna rant about how defund the police caused them to lose

They've never stopped ranting about that

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

ex post facho posted:

the left blaming began last fall when they torpedoed themselves in the VA gov race with another Clinton succophant in mcauliffe

the Republicans are going to have a 10 or 15 seat majority in the house, and probably 2 seats in the Senate

luckily we now know it takes at least 60 senators for a given party to be able to implement even the smallest part of their agenda, right?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lmao

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

The democrats completely stopped doing anything positive legislatively about five decades ago and now prefer to simply tell you to shut the gently caress up and vote for them or else you're defacto supporting New Hitler by your absence of support for Current Hindenburg

LBJ spent all the political capital on Civil Rights and left the democrats a political capital debt they've been paying back for decades. Thats why the dems can't do anything! They'd love to cancel student debt, but they still owe political debt!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Biden literally said "we need to fund the police" multiple times in a row in a press conference the week of the Uvalde shooting, they never stopped ranting about this even if/when they win

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lmao
https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1532460962543984665?cxt=HHwWsoCziYnIssQqAAAA

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Subvisual Haze posted:

the current court would green light anything. civil service protections are dead

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
The end of democracy in America is pretty much guaranteed at this point and it is going to suck for a whole bunch of people

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

In my spam folder just now - From: Nancy Pelosi - HUMILIATING Defeat

within which she claims that the Dems are actually winning the senate races but the dirty repubs just spent money on ads so now we the dems must spend money on ads or the repubs will win

it's a humiliating defeat_but not for me.jpg

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The baby formula shortage continued to worsen last week despite actions from the Biden administration to ease constraints, according to retail tracking data.

Out-of-stock rates climbed to 74% nationally for the week ending May 28, according to data on 130,000 stores followed by Datasembly. The increase comes after rates spiked to 70% for the week ending May 21 from 45% the week prior.

Ten states now have out-of-stock rates at 90% or greater, including Arizona, Mississippi, California, Nevada, Tennessee, Rhode Island, Louisiana, Florida and Washington. Georgia is the hardest hit at 94%, a jump from 74% the week before.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thank you for the link!

Honestly, I'm feeling like I cannot trust this poll. I'm so confused on the results of this. For example, how does 35% of Democratic women under 50 (over 1/3!!!!) agree with "men should be represented and valued more in our society"? And I know this is ageist, but especially when that's a higher percentage than Democratic women over 50 (27%)?

I was trying to find the underlying data of this poll, but I get nothing when I try to search for Tulchin Research survey for this poll.

I'm feeling especially :tinfoil: because this was an "online panel"

E: I just want to clarify though, thank you for sharing this link/info Willa. Maybe I had too much hope for society moving more towards gender equality...

E2: Also, how are younger people, both Democratic/Republican and Men/Women, more transphobic than their older counterparts when it comes to trying to "indoctrinate children into their lifestyle"?? As far as transgender people being a threat to children, at least Republican women are moving more towards being less transphobic? Seriously, I'm getting more and more confused as I look at these results...

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

The end of democracy in America is pretty much guaranteed at this point and it is going to suck for a whole bunch of people

Lmao at the idea of democracy existing in america

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't get it...how can MY generation be bad????

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
maybe we need to give more money to the ceos of baby formula companies who used all their sanitation and maintenance money to enrich themselves and ended up killing a bunch of babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

sexpig by night posted:

Thank you for the link!

Honestly, I'm feeling like I cannot trust this poll. I'm so confused on the results of this. For example, how does 35% of Democratic women under 50 (over 1/3!!!!) agree with "men should be represented and valued more in our society"? And I know this is ageist, but especially when that's a higher percentage than Democratic women over 50 (27%)?

I was trying to find the underlying data of this poll, but I get nothing when I try to search for Tulchin Research survey for this poll.

I'm feeling especially :tinfoil: because this was an "online panel"

E: I just want to clarify though, thank you for sharing this link/info Willa. Maybe I had too much hope for society moving more towards gender equality...

E2: Also, how are younger people, both Democratic/Republican and Men/Women, more transphobic than their older counterparts when it comes to trying to "indoctrinate children into their lifestyle"?? As far as transgender people being a threat to children, at least Republican women are moving more towards being less transphobic? Seriously, I'm getting more and more confused as I look at these results...

if you've never done a phone poll it's like 45 minutes of back-to-back questions that you're probably just repeating "strongly disagree" to