Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

incogneato posted:

Huh, I don't know why I never considered finding an app for knots. That's a great idea, thanks! I'm terrible about remembering or practicing knots.

Does this appear to be the same app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nynix.knots3d

Well poo poo, I always leaned on never being in the scouts to excuse not being able to tie knots worth a drat, but it’s a) only 6 bucks and b) scout-approved. Guess I’ll be tying knots during meetings tomorrow.

e: this app is awesome. I got into climbing recently and I have so many knots to learn now

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was gifted this a long time ago and keep it in my first aid kit. When sitting around the camp fire, I used to fiddle with some of the knots. It's the size of a few credit cards and it's plastic so water doesn't affect it. I was also gifted a big book or rope work and knots but it got packed away somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Knot-Out...18-44210b5535b1

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

waffle enthusiast posted:

That appears to be the same one yup! At least the publisher has the same name.

edit:

okay this is cool. Basically a prussik hitch on a bight with a slipped finish. Gonna have to remember this one.

edit 2: I just checked and it looks like Knots 3D has it. heh.

There's another knot I really like that uses an Infinity loop and you just wrap it around twice like that in the middle of a line and then you can carabiner stuff to it to pull tight like your tarp after hanging your line. I don't know what it's called, So I can't look it up. I saw it in a video ages ago and it's so easy and works well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RodShaft posted:

There's another knot I really like that uses an Infinity loop and you just wrap it around twice like that in the middle of a line and then you can carabiner stuff to it to pull tight like your tarp after hanging your line. I don't know what it's called, So I can't look it up. I saw it in a video ages ago and it's so easy and works well.

Prusik knot.

https://www.animatedknots.com/prusik-knot

While on the subject of knots this is a great one for tenters/general use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOhlEmBwwY

And this is great if you're a hammocker. I use it for my whoopi sling suspension and for connecting tarp guylines to stakes:
https://www.101knots.com/marlinspike-hitch.html

Further edits while I'm thinking about it. For tarp users this is fantastic, I use the fail safe method with 1/8 shock cord and its held up great for years:
https://theultimatehang.com/2012/04/18/rubber-band-tarp-line-tensioners/

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 2, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Triple half hitch will work the same as a taut line hitch but it's a tad easier.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

Triple half hitch will work the same as a taut line hitch but it's a tad easier.
I always forget my knots and keep adding half hitches in various orientations until it does what I need. Sometimes I even remember to tie the bight in a way that lets me actually untie it after it has been loaded up and pulled tight.

Grog's animated knots is another good knot resource.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 2, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A bowline and a trucker's hitch will get you out of like 90% of scenarios
And a clove hitch will cover the other 10

e:
but don't forget the classic adage,
"If you don't know knots, tie lots"

Sockser fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 2, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Personally I'd put the essential knots for non specialty uses (i.e. for people who are not climbers or sailors) as, in roughly this order,

Bowline
Square knot
Adjustable grip hitch
Sheet bend (or alternatively double fishermans bend)
Trucker's hitch
Clove hitch

Those are basically the only knots I find myself using in non climbing/sailing contexts, and knowing them offers massive improvements over the basic half hitches, overhands, and (often mistied) square knots that most people are limited to. Plenty of great knots not on that list, but if you know those 6 you can cover nearly any situation in camping, hiking, tying poo poo around your house or vehicle, etc.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

alnilam posted:

This is one of my favorite knots, although i learned that this is called the "adjustable grip hitch" and the tautline hitch is the same thing but a bit weaker, with one turn instead of two before passing the end through.

IIRC from boy scouts that's "two half hitches". A tautline hitch is adjustable and won't slide as much (thus creating a 'taut' line)

e: if anyone wants a really deep dive on knots, the Ashley Book of Knots is like 600 pages of the whys and hows

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 2, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

IIRC from boy scouts that's "two half hitches". A tautline hitch is adjustable and won't slide as much (thus creating a 'taut' line)

e: if anyone wants a really deep dive on knots, the Ashley Book of Knots is like 600 pages of the whys and hows

No... although I was also wrong. The pictured knot that I quoted, which I thought was mislabeled, is in fact the tautline hitch (e: or possibly the midshipman's hitch... seeing online now that there is some hubbub among knot geeks about the boy scouts misnaming it or something), which I never learned very well because I was taught that the adjustable grip hitch is a bit better for the same purposes (though both are fine for guying something). I didn't look closely enough at the image. The adjustable grip hitch's final loop goes around the standing part and working part. The tautline hitch's final loop goes only around the standing part.

Anyway the point is everyone should know a decent sliding friction hitch :arghfist::corsair:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 2, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

alnilam posted:

Anyway the point is everyone should know a decent sliding friction hitch :arghfist::corsair:
This all goes out the window if you try using line that doesn't have a core or slippery arborist line.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My spouse and I were gifted a Double Nest Eno hammock for our wedding and I’m so unbelievably jazzed about it. Gonna get an under quilt and go HAM.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
That reminds me of an only tangentially outdoor gear question: does anyone have a suggestion on a backyard hammock stand? I'd like to use my hammock around the yard sometimes, but don't want to repeatedly attached to our trees (which aren't ideally positioned anyway).

ENO has one that looks nice, but is expensive. I'm tempted to spend less, but worry that I'll regret it long term. It'll be sitting outside year round after all (the stand, not the hammock).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

My spouse and I were gifted a Double Nest Eno hammock for our wedding and I’m so unbelievably jazzed about it. Gonna get an under quilt and go HAM.

Just a note on "double" hammocks. 99% of people are miserable trying to sleep double in a hammock. Its fine for quick naps, beyond that its a real pain.

Does that hammock have a bugnet? You'll also want a tarp as well.

incogneato posted:

That reminds me of an only tangentially outdoor gear question: does anyone have a suggestion on a backyard hammock stand? I'd like to use my hammock around the yard sometimes, but don't want to repeatedly attached to our trees (which aren't ideally positioned anyway).

ENO has one that looks nice, but is expensive. I'm tempted to spend less, but worry that I'll regret it long term. It'll be sitting outside year round after all (the stand, not the hammock).

The Tato Gear stand is the gold standard for semi-permanent low fuss stands, sold by Dutchware.com. Its frequently out of stock though so get signed up for notifications on that item.

Otherwise the Tensa4 is a great stand but requires more tie-offs and has more of a "fiddle" factor.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
All hammock stands seem crazy expensive for what they are. I get served ads regularly for the Kammock one and it's like $300.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

If you're just going to leave it out all the time you might think about just sinking some posts. A 4x4 and a bag of concrete should do it. Alternately, you could put a line between your trees with a couple of stops to hook your hammock on at the perfect spots so you never have to mess with it. Just go out and hook it up. I don't know what the exact best line would be, but I had a friend do it with the steel cable that you use for garage doors.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah DIY is your best bet for a backyard hammock stand that will last and not break the bank. If you've got some basic power tools and don't want to put concrete in your yard for whatever reason, I built one of these with a friend for his backyard and it's great. We used galvanized hex bolts on the big angle joints rather than long timber screws so it can be more easily disassembled, but I don't know that he ever takes it down. Some kind of finish will help it last longer too. It's pretty heavy and awkward to move by yourself without a dolly, but it's not bad with two people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRSMjnpx1-I

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just a note on "double" hammocks. 99% of people are miserable trying to sleep double in a hammock. Its fine for quick naps, beyond that its a real pain.

Does that hammock have a bugnet? You'll also want a tarp as well.

The Tato Gear stand is the gold standard for semi-permanent low fuss stands, sold by Dutchware.com. Its frequently out of stock though so get signed up for notifications on that item.

Otherwise the Tensa4 is a great stand but requires more tie-offs and has more of a "fiddle" factor.

Appreciated! I’ll check and make sure our current tarp fits, too.

I suppose we can chastely use separate hammocks, but I’ll be glad to have some trips without a tent and air mattress.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Some people do like sleeping double in a hammock, though its pretty rare. Give it a shot on some low stakes trip and see how it works for you.

Also not mentioned, but you'll want a sleeping pad or underquilt of some sort if you're going to be camping out overnight with lows under about 70F or so.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have done some casual afternoon cuddles in a hammock but uh

I could not imagine actually spending a full night in one with someone else

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sockser posted:

I could not imagine actually spending a full night in one with someone else
The least uncomfortable I've managed was by sticking our stinky feet in each other's faces. Even then, only for a midday nap.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Double hammocks are great for naps and to take hiking so you can both chill but yeah relying on one for an overnight would get very annoying. You can't move without waking the other person

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I spent 3 nights on a boat sharing a cheap woven double hammock with my then-sweetheart. It wasn't that bad :shrug: but it was also in the tropics so we didn't need to finagle any pads or quilts around us, could leave a leg hanging out, etc

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CopperHound posted:

The least uncomfortable I've managed was by sticking our stinky feet in each other's faces. Even then, only for a midday nap.

Same. It was an ENO double nest. Worked fine for a nap, but wasn't nearly as comfortable as napping solo.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

$8.64 Eveready rechargeable LED headlamp 2-pack (Amazon)
300 lumins. IPX4. Has red or white beam, but other than that are pretty barbones.

:siren: MICRO USB :siren:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

incogneato posted:

Saw this at Ollie's today. I don't know if it's any better than the cheap ones on Amazon.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Saw this at Ollie's today. I don't know if it's any better than the cheap ones on Amazon.

That looks identical to the hammock and stand I got for $70 off Amazon.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I just ordered my first full size pack, a ULA Catalyst. I've use a few rentals and also some borrowed equipment. All of that was a bit worn and heavy, so I am really looking forward to this.

As a bit of coincidence, last week I came across someone who was hiking in the hills behind my house who was with their Catalyst. Because I lack social skills and get overly excited when talking about bike or camping gear, I bombarded the poor guy with a whole bunch of questions. He eyeballed me warily, as he should, before issuing a few brief answers.

Sorry dude. Enjoy your training for the John Muir Trail.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Has anyone ever repaired a valve on a sleeping pad? Specifically I have an REI Camp Dreamer XL that has developed a slow leak; I wake up with my hips digging into the ground. I'm pretty sure it's a valve issue which is common to this generation of their pads. I'm a couple seasons past the return window, so REI told me to go pound sand when I asked about repair options. The next step may just be going to town on the outside of the valve with tenacious tape or something.

Really not stoked at the idea of this thing finding its way to the landfill after only a few seasons.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've not, but there are lots of valve replacement guides out there. I'm not finding any rei specific parts, but you might be able to use a different brand if the diameter is the same.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

I've not, but there are lots of valve replacement guides out there. I'm not finding any rei specific parts, but you might be able to use a different brand if the diameter is the same.

Valve repair is kind of a bitch. Thermarest has replacement valves and repair kits, but they depend on being able to seal the valve into a rigid plastic housing that (probably) isn't going to be the same size as an REI brand mat. AFAIK most other vendors don't even sell valve replacement kits. Your best bet is contacting the manufacturer.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I suppose it would be a PITA. It's unfortunate that REI told them to get lost.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

I suppose it would be a PITA. It's unfortunate that REI told them to get lost.

If he's gonna trash it without a repair anyway, it's maybe worth taking it apart and just seeing if he can rig a thermarest valve to it. If the REI valve is just larger diameter, with a similar valve housing, some plastic washers might do the trick.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Morbus posted:

If he's gonna trash it without a repair anyway, it's maybe worth taking it apart and just seeing if he can rig a thermarest valve to it. If the REI valve is just larger diameter, with a similar valve housing, some plastic washers might do the trick.

I think the volume of air these car camping mattresses hold is substantially greater than a normal backpacking mattress. The reversible valve opening is the size of a half-dollar.

I may just slather the outside of it with aquaseal and cover it with tenacious tape.

My bigger beef is with REI’s lack of repair options.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have unfortunately learned my lesson and will no longer buy REI-branded stuff for anything significant. An REI brand fork? Sure. Tent, sleeping pad, anything like that? Absolutely not.

Although I did buy the Kindercone sleeping bag for my kid. She hasn't used it yet, hopefully that'll be good.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

guppy posted:

I have unfortunately learned my lesson and will no longer buy REI-branded stuff for anything significant. An REI brand fork? Sure. Tent, sleeping pad, anything like that? Absolutely not.

Although I did buy the Kindercone sleeping bag for my kid. She hasn't used it yet, hopefully that'll be good.

I've been moving away from their brand for clothing, myself. I have a pair of hiking pants that are super light weight and comfortable, but some of the stitching is coming apart and the zipper won't stay up. The stitching has been coming apart on my long sleeved sun shirt, too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pretty happy with my REI branded merino wool socks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It took forever to ship, but I finally got my Megamat 10. I've had the valve open for a couple hours and it basically hasn't inflated at all; I finally found a video that shows you how to use the little toggle to keep the valve open. Very strange, they tell you to do it but nothing in their documentation or videos shows you how to do it. I finally found this video and apparently you are literally supposed to jam the end of the toggle into the valve itself. Kind of makes sense, but it would never have occurred to me in a million years. I'm used to Thermarests where you just... open the valve and it takes care of itself. It's inflated more in the last two minutes than it did in the last two hours.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I did the same thing when I first got mine lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Got my Platypus gravityworks filter back from Cascade Designs support. The tech notes say “backflush more often.” They gave me a coupon for 30% off.

Friend, I’ve probably only put 30 liters through the thing and back flushed it every time. I sent it in because I literally couldn’t get water to flow at more than a trickle through it, either direction. Your filters have a locking up problem.

Anyway, no idea if it was that specific filter or what, but I really don’t like that there’s no way to force a flush on it like there is on the Sawyers. I’ve already been stuck on the backcountry once with no flow. I’m skeptical of the gravityworks long-term reliability and will probably opt for Sawyer from here on out.