Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I tried PolyMC in the hopes I could DL an updated DW20 pack.
I got the first version of 1.18 and it seems to spawn nearly no nickle.

Sadly PolyMC fails to DL it also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I haven't had any issue with PolyMC and just doing the manual download :shrug:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

OgNar posted:

I tried PolyMC in the hopes I could DL an updated DW20 pack.
I got the first version of 1.18 and it seems to spawn nearly no nickle.

Sadly PolyMC fails to DL it also.

PolyMC 1.3.1 or whatever the latest is shouldn’t have any issues with downloading packs. For mods that aren’t set to allow third party downloads it should give you links to, so you can download them yourself.

DW20 for 1.18 specifically I had no issues downloading.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Khorne posted:

Is there something wrong with gdlauncher? I stopped using multimc when they cried over the mc 1.whatever updates and refused to support it.

What's this about? It supports all the versions right now. The curseforge stuff will affect all third-party launchers equally anyway afaik

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Taffer posted:

What's this about? It supports all the versions right now. The curseforge stuff will affect all third-party launchers equally anyway afaik

gdlauncher doesn't handle curseforge fuckery as gracefully as PolyMC does. Dunno if MultiMC does at all but PolyMC is literally a fork of it.

GDL kills the entire instance download if even one mod is hosed.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Maguoob posted:

PolyMC 1.3.1 or whatever the latest is shouldn’t have any issues with downloading packs. For mods that aren’t set to allow third party downloads it should give you links to, so you can download them yourself.

I'll try again tomorrow or try posting in their reddit.
I've tried multiple times today to get it and always get an error.

Best thing about the error, while only being as wide as the text, it has no bottom.
Goes off the bottom of my screen and is not resizeable.
So maybe theres something more or a button to download a mod, but I cant tell.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Maguoob posted:

Well, obviously it shouldn't but that's not always how it goes

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
As far as Nomi/Omnifactory goes, I highly recommend the Dev branch, it's got some fixes but more importantly has the Processing Array which basically lets you pop in a stack of machines (I think 16 maximum) into a 3x3x3 multiblock, and that entire thing acts like an array of however many of that machine you have there. It's also gotten rid of Modular Machines and turned those equivalent machines into Gregtech multiblocks (so you can overclock microverse missions, oil refinery, lunar mining, etc) with the flexibility in hatch placement that comes along with it.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

OgNar posted:

I'll try again tomorrow or try posting in their reddit.
I've tried multiple times today to get it and always get an error.

Best thing about the error, while only being as wide as the text, it has no bottom.
Goes off the bottom of my screen and is not resizeable.
So maybe theres something more or a button to download a mod, but I cant tell.

Looks like FTB themselves did changes that broke PolyMC's ability to download their packs. I don't know if the PolyMC devs will bother trying to fix it, because even if they do FTB will probably ask them to stop.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sounds like the era of being able to use third party launchers to download bundled packs through curse or ftb is over.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Minecraft always has the most dumb mod drama

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean the forums themselves put up a good fight

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Maguoob posted:

Looks like FTB themselves did changes that broke PolyMC's ability to download their packs. I don't know if the PolyMC devs will bother trying to fix it, because even if they do FTB will probably ask them to stop.

I posted on PolyMCs reddit.

"yeah FTB modpacks broke completely because FTB killed the API. We can't do anything about it"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

queeb posted:

Minecraft always has the most dumb mod drama

This drama is so much lamer than the past days where modpacks would put things that destroy your world if you have a certain username or w/e, now it's just lame bland monetization attempts

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Modded Minecraft: Adfly 3.0

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
frankly i'm surprised we haven't seen more crypto/NFT drama invading the minecraft modding space

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

President Ark posted:

frankly i'm surprised we haven't seen more crypto/NFT drama invading the minecraft modding space

Why would you speak this into existence

What have you done

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

What have you done
It's been around for a while actually.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Danaru posted:

What have you done

we can make it worse

skyblock map where every block must be purchased as an nft

curseforge official nfts you must pay per pack download

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

lmao, all the more reason to jump ship from Forge and CurseWolf. Really hope Modrinth takes off and helps Fabric along in the process.

Danaru posted:

What have you done

ngl i have long wanted an "endgame" mod where all you do is insert increasingly absurd amounts of RF or whatever resource to make a scoreboard go up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'd giggle if I was playing a random modpack that had cryptocurrency ore. It didn't even have to do anything. It'd just have that Dad Pun vibe of "I just mined cryptocurrency!"

In the Nomifactory Discord, I'm seeing the procedure people are using to still launch from MultiMC. I guess you just have to download with Hellworld Launcher and migrate everything over to it. So I guess the trick now is to initially download modpacks from inside a cleanroom VM.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In the Nomifactory Discord, I'm seeing the procedure people are using to still launch from MultiMC. I guess you just have to download with Hellworld Launcher and migrate everything over to it. So I guess the trick now is to initially download modpacks from inside a cleanroom VM.

Or just use PolyMC and not have to worry. It's really as easy as hit button, get links to disabled mods, place jar in mods folder.

For nomifactory specifically it was like, 1 mod.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

dragonshardz posted:

ngl i have long wanted an "endgame" mod where all you do is insert increasingly absurd amounts of RF or whatever resource to make a scoreboard go up.

I mean this is basically the entirety of Hypixel. It's Minecraft as a hybrid MMO/idle game, complete with competitive universal item-hoarder scoreboards.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

dragonshardz posted:

Integer overflow: the game

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

So I tasked myself with coming up with an unintrusive arrangement of mods for a private server with some friends who are looking for a "vanilla+" experience at most, and I feel obligated to give a shout-out to Origins (and the various addon packs people have made) for not just being fun twists on how to play using mostly pre-existing mechanics, but also a ridiculously modular framework for making your own origins as data pack add-ons. I'm not much of a coder so the more intricate stuff some people have pulled off like scripting a grappling hook entirely from vanilla assets and some sort of inbuilt raycasting parameters are entirely beyond me, but I've successfully tweaked a couple of the base origins and am working on a custom origin right now.

...Haven't been able to get the custom origin to be recognized by the game yet, but, baby steps. :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I mean this is basically the entirety of Hypixel. It's Minecraft as a hybrid MMO/idle game, complete with competitive universal item-hoarder scoreboards.
I'm in a place where I kind of need vapid timesinks right now, so I considered losing myself to a Hypixel skyblock, but they seem to have a reputation for pushing players towards microtransactions/real world currency. Has anyone here played? I'm actually fully okay with a repetitive skinner box reward drip but I'm not looking for something that's outright competitive or drains my real wallet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Making my own personal use pack in multimc has been a lot of fun, honestly the toughest part is trying to figure out what I've been taking for granted, and how much has changed since 1.12.

Thermal foundation changed a lot for good and for maybe not so good. I really like being able to hot swap my upgrades between equipment, but also now I can't use the fluid transposer to turn exp into liquid exp and I can't remember if Thermal did that natively before or if it was an add-on that never got ported to 1.18 :saddumb: also I love the new Tinker's Construct but I can't melt down redstone anymore. It's a misadventure of half remembered mod names and projects that have been abandoned for years

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Danaru posted:

Making my own personal use pack in multimc has been a lot of fun, honestly the toughest part is trying to figure out what I've been taking for granted, and how much has changed since 1.12.

Thermal foundation changed a lot for good and for maybe not so good. I really like being able to hot swap my upgrades between equipment, but also now I can't use the fluid transposer to turn exp into liquid exp and I can't remember if Thermal did that natively before or if it was an add-on that never got ported to 1.18 :saddumb: also I love the new Tinker's Construct but I can't melt down redstone anymore. It's a misadventure of half remembered mod names and projects that have been abandoned for years

I think Thermal Foundation still hasnt ported over itemducts from 1.12 :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nope :( Their in-game book thing says they're not going to, and suggests a different mod I forget the name of that acts pretty similar, same with portable tanks. Still a bit of a bummer but I don't blame them for wanting to prune their scope a bit

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

The Thermal Dynamics rewrite is on the way. King Lemming has been posting images of it on Twitter the last couple of months, and said he hoped to have a beta out pretty soon. And he said it will come to both 1.16 and 1.18.

I liked most of the changes I noticed in the newer version of Thermal Foundation, but I did find the changes to machine I/O a bit frustrating (blue and orange only, no more extra colors for extra slots). It didn’t ruin my experience or anything, just made things trickier. And hey, maybe the TD rewrite will offer a new way to fine-tune things.

Edit: I think they just replaced portable tanks with fluid cells. Which I think are uglier and too easy to confuse with flux cells but AFAIK work mostly the same.

runchild fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 2, 2022

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I'm in a place where I kind of need vapid timesinks right now, so I considered losing myself to a Hypixel skyblock, but they seem to have a reputation for pushing players towards microtransactions/real world currency. Has anyone here played? I'm actually fully okay with a repetitive skinner box reward drip but I'm not looking for something that's outright competitive or drains my real wallet.

The push to buy stuff is definitely there, but I got several months of play out of it with just the $5 VIP purchase. Probably the #1 purchased item is the premium cookie that gives you a couple days of "don't lose money or potion effects on death" and an XP bonus or something, but if you put in the work you can make enough money to just buy them off the auction house. There are other things you can buy for a nominal edge in "make farm do stuff faster", which is honestly only of any real concern if you're the kind of sperg who absolutely has to chase the collection leaderboards. Your actual progression through the game is largely hard-gated with grinding to specific milestones. There is a lot of grind, a lot of spambots and scammers (be prepared to use the /ignore function liberally), some serious balancing issues with combat, certain parts of the game (slayer quests) that are almost mandatory to pursue and yet exist almost exclusively as ingame currency sinks, and as Technoblade once said, "the dream of every Hypixel player is to not have to play the game".

But it does make numbers go up in a very satisfying way, and has a nicely built world. One of the grindiest areas in the game, the Dwarven Mines, is genuinely kind of a joy just to look at. Just don't join or make a co-op with anyone; the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits, and you can't go back on it once you commit to it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

normal video game things to play a video game

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I've decided the station my pack is set in is officially called The Long-Term 'Hybrid Experimental Living' Deep-Space Station -Niflheim-. :v:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Black Pants posted:

I've decided the station my pack is set in is officially called The Long-Term 'Hybrid Experimental Living' Deep-Space Station -Niflheim-. :v:

The LTHLEDSS "Niflheim"? That doesn't backronym to anything.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Galactic Operational Assistance for Trans-Spatial Exploration Station 'd'Alembert'

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
if anyone wants a mod idea, integrate and modify minecolonies into your modpack. Make it an integral part of the supply chain to lessen grinding.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

dragonshardz posted:

The LTHLEDSS "Niflheim"? That doesn't backronym to anything.

Excuse me, HEL, not HLE.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

if anyone wants a mod idea, integrate and modify minecolonies into your modpack. Make it an integral part of the supply chain to lessen grinding.

:chloe:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Danaru posted:

Nope :( Their in-game book thing says they're not going to, and suggests a different mod I forget the name of that acts pretty similar, same with portable tanks. Still a bit of a bummer but I don't blame them for wanting to prune their scope a bit

Which mod do they cite for pipes? I just miss some simple pipes for when I want to move stuff from point a to point b that I can hide behind covers

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Xun posted:

Which mod do they cite for pipes? I just miss some simple pipes for when I want to move stuff from point a to point b that I can hide behind covers

Not sure if they have covers, but Refined Pipes is the one they cite. It's pretty good from using it a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I guess this seems like the thread to ask, has anyone tried Vintage Story and have impressions? I must admit my interest is piqued, but I'm as leery as I am curious between the mandatory key registration even on DRM-free platforms, and its lack of presence on any major review aggregate.