Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How can teams get poo poo like that passed but I get nothing but fire and brimstone when I push to encrypt as much internal traffic as possible?!?

I should learn to be a better salesman or something I guess.

Because cyber insurance providers have something critical you do not: leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Our cybersecurity insurance requirements are almost to the point of people standing around to twisting two keys to launch nuclear weapons.

"Administrators requiring Domain Admin privileges must be on site and accompanied in person by a second trusted Administrator to perform Active Directory tasks that require Domain Admin privileges."

These things are just there to make sure they don't pay out. Because I am fairly sure that you have to prove that this was happening before they pay you money, not the other way around.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Weedle posted:

thank you all very much. what ended up happening is: i got my resignation in just barely in time to get a slot in the end-of-year staff meeting where they honor departing employees by having one of their close colleagues talk for a minute or two about how cool they are. the lady who did mine has worked here for so long that she was my math teacher 20 years ago, and she's retiring this year, so she asked me if i wanted her to spill the beans about my being trans, and i said hell yes go for it. i wasn't sure how everyone would react but neither of us cared, and a murmur certainly swept through the audience when she dropped the bomb, but afterwards a ton of people came up to me to give me hugs and wish me well and tell me how brave i am, so that was nice. and now that everyone knows the deal, i can work my last day (the 31st) as myself so everyone gets to see how hot i am. everything worked out great and i am very excited to start my new job

this is incredibly cool and good

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Weedle posted:

and now that everyone knows the deal, i can work my last day (the 31st) as myself so everyone gets to see how hot i am. everything worked out great and i am very excited to start my new job

That story really makes me smile. Thanks for sharing.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

For real congrats Weedle!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Another congrats from me Weedle. We’re all incredibly happy for you. I’m so glad that you’re off to newer and greater things, as a newer and greater you.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Here's some poo poo thats pissing me off right now. A client just bought an ultrasonic cleaner, and it turns out it costs another $200 just to activate the temperature control function. Two hundred dollarydoos just to activate a button on the control panel, and allow access to something that the device should be perfectly capable of doing.

I know, we live in capitalist hellworld where nickel-and-diming the consumer is just how it's done now, but still.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
My cyber security insurance providers are among my favorite people on the planet right now.
Turns out it's way easier to get security policies and good hardware in place when I can tell the finance people "if we don't do this, and something bad happens, they won't pay us." And then have them do the math on how much a minimum two week work stoppage will cost in lost revenue and productivity.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I was asked to send notes to a group so they can communicate to users about a system update next week that is going to require some downtime. Generally our department's downtime isn't system wide, so I've never filled this out. So I copy and pasted this text, filled out sections that were marked and sent it in.
I immediately get back responses from management asking me to explain what this is. I double check the email, and in the section where it says what I'm doing, its listed "upgrade X system at 8pm, downtime is expected to be 2 hours."
So I answer that. Response from one of them, "I don't know what system this is, is it important?"
At this point, I'm actually worried that this email was sent to people outside our company who have emails read to them by someone shouting at them while riding by on a bicycle.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ghostinmyshell posted:

Our cybersecurity insurance requirements are almost to the point of people standing around to twisting two keys to launch nuclear weapons.

"Administrators requiring Domain Admin privileges must be on site and accompanied in person by a second trusted Administrator to perform Active Directory tasks that require Domain Admin privileges."

YOU MUST EXTEND ACTIVE DIRECTORY TO DO THINGS NOT SUPPORTED BY ACTIVE DIRECTORY

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

YOU MUST EXTEND ACTIVE DIRECTORY TO DO THINGS NOT SUPPORTED BY ACTIVE DIRECTORY

You could do this with conditional access(block every admin activity not from hq ip) and PIM(admin role activation requires clearance by X) but only with azure ad, not local ad.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Silly Newbie posted:

My cyber security insurance providers are among my favorite people on the planet right now.
Turns out it's way easier to get security policies and good hardware in place when I can tell the finance people "if we don't do this, and something bad happens, they won't pay us." And then have them do the math on how much a minimum two week work stoppage will cost in lost revenue and productivity.

Similar. It can sometimes be ok. It's either Cyber Security insurance or "This is the law we have to abide by" is also a pretty decent one (public sector so those actually count).

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ptier posted:

Similar. It can sometimes be ok. It's either Cyber Security insurance or "This is the law we have to abide by" is also a pretty decent one (public sector so those actually count).

I've had good luck with those two, and also "I have a signed statement from the previous Director saying we were adhering to these policies, and if Meta/Microsoft/Amazon/etc decides to ask us to prove it, they'll nuke our contracts if we can't" goes a long way.
Making the consequences starkly apparent in terms of dollars works super well if it's a known entity who wants to gently caress you at every opportunity that's going to leverage those consequences.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Silly Newbie posted:

This...

It has allowed me to implement 2fa on everything, whereas before I got severe pushback. We also got a proper EDR solution.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well I just likely ruined someone's day.

I was looking over some of our telecom/internet bills and discovered one of them was charging sales tax. In the state of Indiana internet access/internet services are non-taxable. (http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2021/ic/titles/006#6-10) And indeed, checking all the other providers we use in the state, none of them are charging taxes of any kind on the Internet portion of the bill. Except for this one provider.

I let them know and they responded back it was the first they had ever heard of it. :doh: They are a internet provider... you think this would be something they SHOULD know!

Granted it is not much... but it adds up and by law they should not be collecting it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Pissing me off today...and yesterday...and many other days recently: DNS over IPv6. Corporate uses Comcast; my IPv4 DNS is set locally on the router and pushes to the work laptop via local DHCP. It's a Netgear router with lovely old firmware so I can't set IPv6.

IPv6 is set via DHCP also...but by Comcast (unless I'm on the VPN). I have been fighting for days to figure out a loving workaround for when 2001:558:feed::1 and 2001:558:feed::2 decide to just up and not work, redirecting literally everything but google.com and Comcast domains :thunk: to the local gateway at 192.168.0.1 or <looked-up-address>.<domain>.local (i.e. google.com.abc.local). When I ask our MSP for advice, they are zero help insisting that I need to contact Comcast and see about changing it, etc, despite the fact that I refuse to use Comcast's lovely hardware (3 XB3 routers in 2 years convinced me of that) and can't shell out $200 for a decent new router right now.

Finally today I managed to (in the midst of one of these periods) nslookup <exchange_server> 8.8.8.8 and get the IP and after 3 times of it just not working, set up an alternate VPN connection for when it's refusing to connect via domain name. Lo and behold, as soon as I connect to the VPN, it stops trying to go to my local Comcast DNS and use whatever the gently caress is set via DHCP with AD.

I'm so tired of DNS bullfuck :suicide:

(And also our useless MSP that hosed up configuration on the VOIP system they put in a few years ago and whose "computer guy" is a total idiot :fuckoff:)

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 2, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

stevewm posted:

I was looking over some of our telecom/internet bills and discovered one of them was charging sales tax. In the state of Indiana internet access/internet services are non-taxable. (http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2021/ic/titles/006#6-10) And indeed, checking all the other providers we use in the state, none of them are charging taxes of any kind on the Internet portion of the bill. Except for this one provider.

I let them know and they responded back it was the first they had ever heard of it. :doh: They are a internet provider... you think this would be something they SHOULD know!

Granted it is not much... but it adds up and by law they should not be collecting it.

Well, they can act ignorant, but where was that money going?

If someone collects tax, that tax has to be forwarded over to the proper agency. Either the government is pocketing it, or the company is. Either way, that shouldn't survive even the most casual of audits. Seems to me this is the tip of the iceberg for fraud.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you look for news articles on that sort of thing, it's endemic.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
The problem is that the State (doesn't matter which one) doesn't know what sales tax has been collected until the entity that collected it fills out a form and self reports what they owe. There aren't enough audit resources in the world to root out the fraud that comes with a system like this.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Well, they can act ignorant, but where was that money going?

If someone collects tax, that tax has to be forwarded over to the proper agency. Either the government is pocketing it, or the company is. Either way, that shouldn't survive even the most casual of audits. Seems to me this is the tip of the iceberg for fraud.

In dealing with the state tax agency.. they will gladly accept any money you send them even if it isn't correct, but boy if you don't send them tax monies that you are supposed to... watch out. So I am going to give them benefit of doubt for now.

My own company is guilty of this; charging sales tax for something we didn't need to (certain food/snack items some of our stores sell) and sending it to the tax agency. It was a legitimate oversight. It wasn't discovered until a state sales tax audit years down the road. But at the same time we where not taxing one item we should have been.. (again, oversight) They hit us hard for that one.

It's been a couple hours and don't have a response yet from them. Someone is either having a "oh poo poo we hosed up" moment, or "oh gently caress we've been found out".

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's my turn to have the ominous manager meeting invite. "Meeting to discuss goals and expectations."

Turns out everything is fine and he just wanted to talk about what niche we want to grow the new position into.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not pissing me off: I got a full deck of "Exceeds expectations" during my performance review today :toot:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Wibla posted:

Not pissing me off: I got a full deck of "Exceeds expectations" during my performance review today :toot:

You'll later find out that this was all in error and you were downgraded to acceptable so as not to upset the non-existent curve.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Not pissing me off, but I was freaking out on a call yesterday. Our project manager is out for the week and his boss was filling in on a customer call. He was sharing his screen to review a spreadsheet. At one point he minimized the spreadsheet, and there was Teams showing my conversation with him to about a dozen people, including another vendor and state bigwigs.

The good news is that the only conversation displayed on screen was related to meetings he was covering, and a few brief questions he brought up during the call. Thankfully there was no "lol gently caress that" or "not without a fuckin' change order" on screen as I usually share during internal chats.

He had it up there for a good 10 seconds or so. When I hit him up later he said he was trying to check a different meeting on Teams on another window. And this is why when dealing with a customer I only share individual windows, not an entire screen.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

stevewm posted:

I love poo poo like this. I recently got Dell to figure out and quote on my core trust pricing. I'm going to receive my first order, and then ask that they go over my last six months of invoices where their sales rep assured me I was getting my CTG list price, but apparently was not, since it was a three week process to get this last order figured out.
gently caress vendors, call them out at every opportunity.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

D34THROW posted:

You'll later find out that this was all in error and you were downgraded to acceptable so as not to upset the non-existent curve.

I live in :norway: not some late-stage capitalist hellhole :sun:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's my turn to have the ominous manager meeting invite. "Meeting to discuss goals and expectations."

Turns out everything is fine and he just wanted to talk about what niche we want to grow the new position into.

"Hey do you have time for a quick chat" from my boss at my current job gave me a low-grade anxiety attack the first couple of months into my new job. Thanks, $shitjob PTSD.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Silly Newbie posted:

I love poo poo like this. I recently got Dell to figure out and quote on my core trust pricing. I'm going to receive my first order, and then ask that they go over my last six months of invoices where their sales rep assured me I was getting my CTG list price, but apparently was not, since it was a three week process to get this last order figured out.
gently caress vendors, call them out at every opportunity.

I still haven't heard anything back from them.

I feel like there are some meetings between accountants/lawyers happening after questioning it.

Isepic
May 7, 2002

D34THROW posted:

You'll later find out that this was all in error and you were downgraded to acceptable so as not to upset the non-existent curve because your boss is only allowed to give out 5 raises a year, and if you got one, he couldn't give one to his good buddy Dave down the hall.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had a review recently and apparently I wasn't living up to the expectations. My manager has given me all of like 3 things to do since I've started and constantly tells me that he's busy but will assign to me but... nothing lol

So now these next 30 days are "critical" in that they expect me to be up to speed with those who have 2 years of actual day to day experience despite not giving me anything to do day after day. Him and his boss were surprised with my concerns like, I have a daily standup meeting with my boss and I tell him I am just trying to take in as much as possible but haven't been challenged with anything or tested my knowledge. Like holy poo poo lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

I had a review recently and apparently I wasn't living up to the expectations. My manager has given me all of like 3 things to do since I've started and constantly tells me that he's busy but will assign to me but... nothing lol

So now these next 30 days are "critical" in that they expect me to be up to speed with those who have 2 years of actual day to day experience despite not giving me anything to do day after day. Him and his boss were surprised with my concerns like, I have a daily standup meeting with my boss and I tell him I am just trying to take in as much as possible but haven't been challenged with anything or tested my knowledge. Like holy poo poo lol

Sorry to say, but this giving me the impression that your boss just doesn't like you and is just going to can you when your PIP is up.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

Sorry to say, but this giving me the impression that your boss just doesn't like you and is just going to can you when your PIP is up.

Perhaps, but I'd be shocked at that really based on the conversations we have. It's a pretty dysfunctional place it feels like, honestly I wouldn't be upset if I got the axe. I'm just more surprised that while taking care of everything I've been given, it still isn't enough and despite asking explicitly what more I should do, the answer was more or less just do better. :shrug:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Yeah, your boss / organization has already decided to can you and your boss isn't going to spend the time pretending otherwise.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The next 30 days are critical to finding a new job :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Perhaps, but I'd be shocked at that really based on the conversations we have. It's a pretty dysfunctional place it feels like, honestly I wouldn't be upset if I got the axe. I'm just more surprised that while taking care of everything I've been given, it still isn't enough and despite asking explicitly what more I should do, the answer was more or less just do better. :shrug:

Well, I don't know you or your situation beyond what you posted. but let me be clear that when someone is put on 30 days probation (or a Performance Improvement Plan , PIP) and they don't actually give you an actionable plan, they mean to fire you. This is really common for big orgs , dysfunctional orgs, and orgs that are both.

And it doesn't really have to be anything really that crazy. Maybe there isn't enough work to go around and laying you off is too expensive. Maybe you have unknowingly pissed off your manager or someone else important enough. Maybe you aren't doing your job correctly but nobody wants to spend the time getting back on course.

Anyone reading this thread should know, anytime you or someone you know is put on a PIP they should be looking for a new job.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I didn’t see where cage free said they’re on a PIP? Is that the assumption based on the 30 days comment?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Feedback that you're "not living up to expectations" and being given 30 days to improve sounds like one

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’ve seen a ton of formality around them even in smaller shops, not saying that isn’t what’s happening just curious if maybe people are jumping to convulsions

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

i am a moron posted:

I’ve seen a ton of formality around them even in smaller shops, not saying that isn’t what’s happening just curious if maybe people are jumping to convulsions

I made a mat for that very such thing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i am always jumping to convulsions. every time i get a ticket where the description just says "slow computer" i begin to shake uncontrollably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Badger him via email about what, specifically you need to do to improve, and what needs to be done to meet those improvement metrics they're judging you on. Get it in writing and save that copy elsewhere. Depending on your state that can be a pretty open and shut case for constructive dismissal, which means unemployment benefits and possibly a settlement if you can find a 'do it on contingency' lawyer.