Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

if I haven't played in a couple of years should I just reroll at this point?

Nah just play the expedition until you remember how to play then go back to your old save. Quick tips when starting fresh. Find a cave asap and collect cobalt to make ion batteries. Don’t sprint because it drains your life support really fast. Sell animal meat for cash and buy a bunch of life support gel and batteries once you find a trade terminal or make it to the space station. At that point you should have no problem surviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Counterpoint: this particular expedition is permadeath, which ranges from more annoying to more punishing than a normal save. If you're trying to re-learn the game, it'll do the job but it might disproportionately frustrate you in the process depending on how much (little) you remember of the gameplay loop.

Personally, I'd roll a new normal-mode save and proceed with that until you get to the anomaly (which effectively serves as the end of the tutorial) to re-learn the general gameplay. After that, consider hopping back into your old save and/or checking out the expedition.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ghostlight posted:

How I did it was just buy a bunch of Distress Signal maps at the space station then just pop one in every system I stopped by on the way to the next anchor point - if the first result wasn't a crashed capital ship I'd just continue warping. If you're already at #5 then yeah it'll probably be a pain, but it's definitely not something worth delaying the rest of the journey for since you're already wasting the time you'd save if you die.

I was only on #2 but I spent so much time looking that I started to finish later stuff just naturally.

Of course when I gave up the next warp after the first had a base titled "crashed freighter here" or whatever so I didn't even need a map.

Well at the very least if I do this again I have plenty of bases to streamline it.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I am constantly browsing the other bases listed in space stations and such to try and short-circuit some of the required manual work in these expeditions. Sometimes people put bases in really handy spots and name it something obvious. Someone is going to troll the bejesus out of me one of these days with that, but so far so good.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I've encountered a few troll bases before. The worst one was one where you step into a teleporter, and then you appear inside of a volcano where you can't escape and your health slowly drops. I bet a few bases that I'll randomly go into and you spawn inside of a wall and can't move. If anything weird like that happens to you don't forget that there is a return to the anomaly option in the quick menu if you visited from the anomaly. If you visit from a space station I don't know of any way of getting out other than dying.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nullsmack posted:

I am constantly browsing the other bases listed in space stations and such to try and short-circuit some of the required manual work in these expeditions. Sometimes people put bases in really handy spots and name it something obvious. Someone is going to troll the bejesus out of me one of these days with that, but so far so good.

I found a godly base on the third expo that has an antimatter reactor, large refiner and a Minotaur right next to a sentinel thing. Haven't done that before hopefully it's not too hard.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I have a base named Freight Eggs and Ham. It's at an abandoned facility full of eggs, within walking distance of a crashed freighter, and has some nutrient processors in it.

I feel like I should learn more about cooking, I've just been throwing random poo poo in and am rapidly reaching combinatorial explosion with my number of ingredients. And the only "finished" food I know is cactus flesh > cactus juice > refined sugar + random fruit > fruit juice = fruit jam.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I was trying to figure out how to mass overlap plants in the new build system but found out that the game is set up to just harvest "every plant in the area of the greenhouse dome" and I think I might like my accidentally overgrown weedhouse better anyways

e: Also did they accidentally break something again? Glitch-placing off a wire consumes resources if you have them but also seems like it works if you don't and you can immediately deconstruct it for the cost-you-didn't-spend back, and since I figured glitch placing was dead with the new build system I honestly hadn't even tried for months so I have no idea how long that's been A Thing for

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 2, 2022

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

After doing the expedition i thought I would give getting to the centre on permadeath a try. It was all going great, i had a nice base set up on a glitched planet, all set to take the easy way to the galactic centre (using the stargate with only the first glyph, which takes you to about 3000ly from the centre).

then i accidentally hit a weird ball shaped animal while mining plants and he rolled into me and killed me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The “alien horrors” on the derelict freighters are kind of adorable, laff.

I like it when a station mission guy gives a few eliminate creatures missions at the same time then I do the freighter signal and mop that up fast!

I tried putting a base near the loop anchor but there were so many other bases it wouldn’t let me place one, dammit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah the quests I pick up whenever they're available is Kill/Feed Creatures and Kill Sentinels, as they can just be completed whenever and wherever. I was very disappointed when they changed the Scan Animals/Minerals and Photograph X to direct you to specific planets instead.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah the quests I pick up whenever they're available is Kill/Feed Creatures and Kill Sentinels, as they can just be completed whenever and wherever. I was very disappointed when they changed the Scan Animals/Minerals and Photograph X to direct you to specific planets instead.

You can force stack them by taking them and running away far enough that they're "out of range" and then resetting them all at the same time, so they all click in to the same new location

it's a bit of a hassle and sometimes a bit buggy so I don't really do it a lot, but it's handy for expeditions that want "complete 10 explorer's guild missions/get to rank 4 merchants guild" or whatever

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Well that's finally done. I didn't really take much longer than usual but it felt like it with having to start over a few times at the beginning. Since you're made of glass at the start and a stiff breeze can kill you. It wasn't the worst thing, but I really hope they don't make this the standard mode on future expeditions.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The real winning play is

- Get a fleet of C-class support ships, focusing on 2 tonnes/250 LY
- Load up your carrier with S-class support modules
- Send out nothing but support ships to literally everything, scrap anything that gets to S-class but didn't RNG into "Reduced Expedition Fuel Costs" on level-ups
- Enjoy never having to grind jelly into fuel ever again because everything either costs 0 or 50 tonnes no matter how long it goes

Now that I got the Leviathan and was bothering to gently caress around with ship missions again, I actually took the time to confirm something I had kind of suspected but thought was removed at some point-- if you have sufficiently fuel-efficient ships, not only do missions cost nothing but they can cost an undisplayed amount of negative fuel, which will magically show up in your freighter's inventory when you send the mission out.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I doubt they will. The theme was the cycle of life and death of explorers and each rendezvous led you to a grave sight. Each expedition has had a distinct theme. Permadeath just played right into this one.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Now that I got the Leviathan and was bothering to gently caress around with ship missions again, I actually took the time to confirm something I had kind of suspected but thought was removed at some point-- if you have sufficiently fuel-efficient ships, not only do missions cost nothing but they can cost an undisplayed amount of negative fuel, which will magically show up in your freighter's inventory when you send the mission out.

You know, I wondered why sometimes my Freighter has fuel in the inventory when I don't remember making any. Support ship supremacy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aren't frigates supposed to level up over time? Mine don't seem to be.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Why are the anchor points named as such? With a game mode like this I would assume that reaching something called an anchor point would end up being your new reset point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aren't frigates supposed to level up over time? Mine don't seem to be.

They take several long quests to do so, they should have a "encounters until next level-up" if you examine them on the fleet screen and every system report line in the after-mission rundown is "an encounter", so one 24 hour mission is worth several of the shorter 4 hour ones

Floppychop posted:

Why are the anchor points named as such? With a game mode like this I would assume that reaching something called an anchor point would end up being your new reset point.

I think they're just so named because it's an in-lore overlap point with various earlier iterations, "anchoring" you with your past experiences

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 2, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Help; my wife fixed up an A Class hauler, sold it for something ludicrous like 47 mil, and is now a ship monger.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Comedy note: did she find out that after exchanging ships with an NPC, you can run to them before they take off and re-claim the ship you just traded for free

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Comedy note: did she find out that after exchanging ships with an NPC, you can run to them before they take off and re-claim the ship you just traded for free

Holy poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just was having an excellent run with everything getting upgraded nicely then on leaving a station got jumped by at least 5 ships, 2 of which were invisble for some reason, and got blasted to poo poo..

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck

I'll probably try again but.. not for a while

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I got really confused in the fourth anchor. I ended up in a pit with walls I couldn't go through and I tried to go over it and seemed to be jetting up infinitely, and I had like 1000 oxygen on me so I just kept refilling my life support and just kept coming up; after a minute I decided to try to gently come down but could not because a sentinel was also following me and shooting me as I was going down. I was so far up I probably had time to reload a save or something but I didn't think of it until too late. Ah well

But the time I put in wasn't all wasted, I flew through the first two anchors last night, even though the multi-weapon and ship weapons I got as rewards this mission were just crap. Other than someone trapping me in the first anchor? Like, honestly it was pretty funny, I thought someone dug a nice easy egg hole and a message played and it trapped me underground somehow and I couldn't get out. I just reloaded my save since I couldn't tell whose base it was to report. So I recontact the anchor, call my ship in, see something to grab, go grab it, turn around and dude trapped my ship somehow. So I report the base at this point and move on.

I sometimes wonder if there are players who can see me but I can't see them, like the games are out of sync or something, and I couldn't see the other player near me. I have PVP off and turned multiplayer off once I fell in the pit but I never saw the dude in the first place.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It was already pretty much a given but No Man's Sky will get a PSVR 2 version!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Aha!

I thought I was stuck with solar power, since I had no interest in moving my main base and I didn't see an electromagnetic hotspot within a few hundred units.

Thanks to some tips I read, I built a floating bridge of floor tiles out to a hotspot in the ocean nearby, thus expanding my construction radius. Then I connected the power generators to my base power grid by chaining floor lamps connected by wire, built a landing pad, and got rid of the excess tiles.

My own little offshore electrical platform. :science:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I thought I had a clever plan to make some big loot by finding abandoned ships, doing minimal fixing to get them flying, and scrapping at a nearby station. First one (class C) got 3.7mil credits worth of stuff! Next one, also class C, got 386k. What the heck? Is there that much variation of ship prices within a class or is this a way to keep people from buying a bunch of distress signal charts and doing what I tried?

If it’s the former is there a way to tell which ones are worth bothering with?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

priznat posted:

I thought I had a clever plan to make some big loot by finding abandoned ships, doing minimal fixing to get them flying, and scrapping at a nearby station. First one (class C) got 3.7mil credits worth of stuff! Next one, also class C, got 386k. What the heck? Is there that much variation of ship prices within a class or is this a way to keep people from buying a bunch of distress signal charts and doing what I tried?

If it’s the former is there a way to tell which ones are worth bothering with?

Was the first ship a hauler? The game in general values inventory space above everything else so a 40 inventory slot C class hauler will cost several times more than a <20 slot S rank ship. I don't know how the game calculates salvage but it would imagine base value of the ship would be important.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's just how many inventory slots they have. The higher classes are just weighted to spawn with more so they tend to be worth more. Freighters also generally spawn with more than a fighter or explorer.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Did an absolutely stunning bit of parking while looking for Storm Crystals.

I did not, in fact, Wile-E-Coyote off the cliff as soon as I got out, the game helpfully put me behind that plant thing. But there was a brief moment where I thought I'd absolutely hosed it

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
if I'm hunting for a good multitool in a 3* system is it best to just move on if the MT in the space station is C class?

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rick posted:

I got really confused in the fourth anchor. I ended up in a pit with walls I couldn't go through and I tried to go over it and seemed to be jetting up infinitely, and I had like 1000 oxygen on me so I just kept refilling my life support and just kept coming up; after a minute I decided to try to gently come down but could not because a sentinel was also following me and shooting me as I was going down. I was so far up I probably had time to reload a save or something but I didn't think of it until too late. Ah well

I must have fallen in the same pit. I was driving the nomad at the time so survived the fall. I did the same infinite boost trying to get out but managed to refill my life support when it ran out. Took a short fall and almost died while I did that but made it out on the next boost.

I’m not sure why I didn’t just summon my ship instead.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sultan Tarquin posted:

if I'm hunting for a good multitool in a 3* system is it best to just move on if the MT in the space station is C class?

edit: pre-effortpost grain of salt- I haven't actively interacted with these since I got my good multitools a year or two ago, and it's not impossible that Sentinels and pillars changed something to make this different in a weird way with no patch note notice because it's an obscure mechanic intentionally, but with that said:

Multitools are....weird. If I recall my mechanics correctly, you have:

- A system-associated multitool, which is what you see when you warp into the system and head directly for the station/the anomaly

- Each planet has it's own associated multitool, which you can check by landing on a planet, saving, logging out, logging back in, and heading to the station/anomaly and checking the cabinet again (also if you enter the system on a planet, ie: via portal or base teleporter, you'll be seeing that planet's multitool)

- I don't know how sentinel pillars tie in, if they override the multitool loot pool or are just "another multitool cabinet" like minor settlements

In addition to that weirdness, each cabinet has it's own associated class-- if the station cabinet is S, then doing any of the above will also make whatever multitool you change it to, to S.

This is why when you see posts on reddit about "how to find this specific multitool" they'll frequently be instructions in the vein of "go to this location, then fly to this planet and relog, then fly to these specific coordinates for a minor settlement" (since that's usually because they found a cool looking tool and went fishing for an S cabinet in the same system to pick it up from)

The very tldr is "it depends"-- if the multitool is good but C, you can spend time fishing for minor settlements and try to find an S cabinet to pair it with; if the class is good but the tool is poo poo, it's worth doing some planet hopping and relogging to see if there happens to be a good multitool associated with any of the planets in the system.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 3, 2022

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Im guessing I hosed it up if I already bought the station tool? I got a system today with an S class pistol in station but didn't know about the planet hopping and reloading to flip the type of MT.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Im guessing I hosed it up if I already bought the station tool? I got a system today with an S class pistol in station but didn't know about the planet hopping and reloading to flip the type of MT.

Things respawn over time but I've never sat down to wait and see if it's in-game-time based, in-game event based, distance travelled or something else . It'd probably be worth checking the planet tools and see if there's anything good like a cool royal/alien/experimental and if there is, leave a base with a note and check it periodically as you play the game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Things respawn over time but I've never sat down to wait and see if it's in-game-time based, in-game event based, distance travelled or something else . It'd probably be worth checking the planet tools and see if there's anything good like a cool royal/alien/experimental and if there is, leave a base with a note and check it periodically as you play the game.

For the expedition is the idea that you are supposed to grind out the knowledge modules to unlock stuff at the extremely inflated prices or are you supposed to just do the different loops and get them awarded for doing the different milestones? Some of the costs of blueprints are just insane!

Also the teleportation module for the starship seems disappointingly short range :sigh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

priznat posted:

For the expedition is the idea that you are supposed to grind out the knowledge modules to unlock stuff at the extremely inflated prices or are you supposed to just do the different loops and get them awarded for doing the different milestones? Some of the costs of blueprints are just insane!

Also the teleportation module for the starship seems disappointingly short range :sigh:

The Developer Conceit for this seems to be that you buy nothing from the anomaly, just use the RNG tech you get from milestones. I think the "dev intended" way of just going straight from milestone to milestone is actually the fastest this time; even with exploits and short of save editing, farming any currency at a 10x handicap is insanely slow and risky.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Banal new player expedition opinion time:

Even though I have over a hundred hours at this game, I don't have encyclopedic knowledge and have not progressed "far" in it. I'm a very chill explorer, and I have a nice collection of screenshots.

Expeditions seem to be mainly for players who enjoy applying their deep understanding of the game to unusually difficult, sometimes unfair, sometimes un-fun challenges. This is probably especially pleasurable since the game isn't at all difficult on Normal, and I'd go so far as to say that it requires almost no skill at all (at least to play the way I do). Thus, it's nice to do something that's a little ridiculous now and then, and get some trophies for it.

Which isn't to say a new player shouldn't do an expedition, just don't expect the chilled out handholding of the main game, or for it to make the same sort of sense as the base game.

I've started and left two expeditions because a) they weren't the fun I want to have right now, and b) I'm fairly sure I can get the rewards later once I get to the point where the day-to-day play becomes unrewarding.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Developer Conceit for this seems to be that you buy nothing from the anomaly, just use the RNG tech you get from milestones. I think the "dev intended" way of just going straight from milestone to milestone is actually the fastest this time; even with exploits and short of save editing, farming any currency at a 10x handicap is insanely slow and risky.

Yeah I use teleportation as often as I can now just to not risk getting jumped by too many pirates at once like happened to me once. I have a planet that is nice and just costs some oxygen to walk around in with lots of fauna and flora to gather..

Anything with risk now I just nope out and go hide in my freighter :haw:

Speaking of can I just summon it to whatever system I'm in even if it doesn't have a hyperdrive? Just found out I had one for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you are dropping bases you don't need a whole lot but the actual rewards from the legs of the the expos, at least that is the case of me so far.

priznat posted:

Speaking of can I just summon it to whatever system I'm in even if it doesn't have a hyperdrive? Just found out I had one for some reason.

Correct, which I feel like is a surprise to me. I have never had a frig without fuel before.