Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

super-redguy posted:

Genesis is in K, which is a perfectly playable SRW even if it's rough in spots.

If you want CC and NC0, those are in OE alongside Genesis but OE isn't great.

Didn't they not even use the MC of CC in OE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Were any of the Macrosses dubbed or was it all hosed because of the Robotech stuff?

i do like music being a plot point and that's all i know about Macross. Songs in space or robots or something.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

new mili (shokei shoujo op) album just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0VWenh7kwU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Were any of the Macrosses dubbed or was it all hosed because of the Robotech stuff?

i do like music being a plot point and that's all i know about Macross. Songs in space or robots or something.

Macross hasn't even been released in America until recently due to Robotech and even then it's all been subbed so far.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Plus and SDF Macross, I believe

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Pretty sure Macross 2 and + got dubbed in English, but not exactly wide releases.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Macross Plus dub famously has Bryan Cranston as Isamu.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Macross Picross

MaX

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Macross Do You Remember Love got an English dub too, thought that dub is super bad for a lot reasons (also cursed due to fun media rights too)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TenementFunster posted:

drat. am i too late for the future funk/macross 82-99 slap fight? i flew out to see him in big LA future funk show last november right before omnicron hit. sick show. psyched for the next one in LA (and the one just announced for denver a few weeks later lol)

whatever you think about future funk and some failures to credit artists esp. early on, the original artists are all getting PAID off the resurgence in interest in city pop.

night tempo especially has been working with original artists/labels for years now, and is an old weeb too, so hes been a hardcore fan since he was a kid in the 80s/90s. i got to talk to him for a bit after he played a set at a record store in Hannam and the dude is an encyclopedia of showa japanese pop culture.

hell, plastic love got a music video ~35 years later, tomoko aran probably bought a house off Out of Time alone, and dozens of artists have vinyl re-releases that are getting scooped up.

i think i have a picture of me and night tempo in hannam (and a picture from when he showed up at the downtown LA Denny’s after the november 2021 show) but i don’t want to get zoomed in the chat thread

yeah absolutely nobody gave a poo poo about 80s japanese pop music until the future funk people got popular lol. i like that style of pop music but the American equivalent is pretty dead too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Macross Do You Remember Love got an English dub too, thought that dub is super bad for a lot reasons (also cursed due to fun media rights too)

Yeah I was just looking it up and a few got dubs, including the OG show. They even got one of the singers from the original anime from the 89s to reprise her role in this American dub in the 2000s which is a cool bit of extra effort on their part.

What's wrong with it, though?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

One of the dubs of the movie was done by the Japanese studio which means it's of dubious quality

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

One of the dubs of the movie was done by the Japanese studio which means it's of dubious quality

Oh I meant this one
https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Dimension_Fortress_Macross

I found DVDs of it for a measly $20,000 on ebay if anybody is interested. And I thought the Eva DVD situation was bad

Speaking of which, some of SDF Macross' dub is on archive.org and you can also download full DVDrips of the old Evangelion Platinum Collection DVDs. Not just episodes but bonuses and stuff.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the TV dub ADV was your typical 00's dub

I kinda of hope we get a theater or Blu Ray of the og movie though with the rights being cleared up

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well the 2000s was when I watched more anime than at any other point in my life. Inuyasha, Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach, many other anime I've simply forgotten about....

Good times.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At the theater for Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko. Hope it's good!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Srice posted:

At the theater for Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko. Hope it's good!

Let us know!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

watch macross 7

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But I haven't seen 1-6

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Supremezero posted:

Now put Zoids in a non-gacha SRW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8VFLIV494g

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Put New Century Zero and Xabungle in the same game, please and thank you

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sb hermit posted:

Let us know!

It was pretty good! Had a pretty solid emotional core to it that I wasn't expecting considering the trailers. Apparently 2022 is the year of good movies about mother/daughter relationships.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Once the movie was over the screening also aired the entirety of the 2021 short anime Deji Meets Girl and hell, that's a pretty cool way to get folks to sit through the credits. Here's a whole 'nother anime.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Justin_Brett posted:

Put New Century Zero and Xabungle in the same game, please and thank you

Yes

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Srice posted:

It was pretty good! Had a pretty solid emotional core to it that I wasn't expecting considering the trailers. Apparently 2022 is the year of good movies about mother/daughter relationships.

Thank you for the review! Looks like it's at the local AMC. I'll try to carve out some time to watch it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1532558267385188352?s=20&t=HVxYYUt-fNX9ozozBeumNA

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NikkolasKing posted:

Were any of the Macrosses dubbed
the ~2008 ADV Films DVDs has Mari Iijima as
Minmay on *both* audio tracks, to great effect

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah absolutely nobody gave a poo poo about 80s japanese pop music until the future funk people got popular lol. i like that style of pop music but the American equivalent is pretty dead too.
i hope tatsuro yamashita gives macross 82-99 a *big* hug and kiss for making him and his wife weirdly famous in the US 40 years later

im a bigger weeb than 95% of the US population the only city pop-adjacent people i knew until future funk took off were mai yamane (bc cowboy bebop), miki matsubara (THE WINNER), mari iijima (she’s minmay), and barely ANRI because the cat’s eye theme

basically, future funk was invented specifically for me so i have shows to go to as an old person and trick my gf into thinking i was an iconoclast trendsetter in college instead of just an online loser. old weebs absolutely hit the Genre Powerball in ~2014. 80s anisong being a niche thing among weird zoomers is so funny.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 3, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I was just looking it up and a few got dubs, including the OG show. They even got one of the singers from the original anime from the 89s to reprise her role in this American dub in the 2000s which is a cool bit of extra effort on their part.

What's wrong with it, though?
the ADV macross dub is great imo. always thought minmay's being an immigrant is a pretty important element of her character, and mari ijima had a strong enough accent at the time that it really reinforces her foreignness to everything, on top of mari ijima just being a really good actor that still understood the role. iirc shes on the english commentary track also

also vic mignogna played hikaru which, now more than ever, is perfect casting because hikaru sucks rear end

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

homeless snail posted:

the ADV macross dub is great imo. always thought minmay's being an immigrant is a pretty important element of her character, and mari ijima had a strong enough accent at the time that it really reinforces her foreignness to everything, on top of mari ijima just being a really good actor that still understood the role. iirc shes on the english commentary track also

also vic mignogna played hikaru which, now more than ever, is perfect casting because hikaru sucks rear end
it was such a great move, but yeah otherwise gently caress the dub. i can listen to mari in any language.

NikkolasKing posted:

They even got one of the singers from the original anime from the 89s to reprise her role in this American dub in the 2000s which is a cool bit of extra effort on their part.
trying not to lose my temper at this description of the most important character in the macross universe

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh I meant this one
https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Dimension_Fortress_Macross

I found DVDs of it for a measly $20,000 on ebay if anybody is interested.
wait, what

starting the bidding at $19,999

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 3, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/PC98_bot/status/1532633246474829826?t=bpFKWgEqb9qh_v7UTEHyrQ&s=19

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Okay Valhalla was a bit longer than I was expecting and then I took a couple week break, but now that I beat it let me say: The people in Games who said that it's just channer humor with a story that doesn't go anywhere were insane.

Good game, I enjoyed it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TenementFunster posted:

the ~2008 ADV Films DVDs has Mari Iijima as
Minmay on *both* audio tracks, to great effect

i hope tatsuro yamashita gives macross 82-99 a *big* hug and kiss for making him and his wife weirdly famous in the US 40 years later

im a bigger weeb than 95% of the US population the only city pop-adjacent people i knew until future funk took off were mai yamane (bc cowboy bebop), miki matsubara (THE WINNER), mari iijima (she’s minmay), and barely ANRI because the cat’s eye theme

basically, future funk was invented specifically for me so i have shows to go to as an old person and trick my gf into thinking i was an iconoclast trendsetter in college instead of just an online loser. old weebs absolutely hit the Genre Powerball in ~2014. 80s anisong being a niche thing among weird zoomers is so funny.

i like that it's left the future funk nerds behind and become true zoomer music lol

https://youtu.be/1RzV5X6ocO4

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Well the 2000s was when I watched more anime than at any other point in my life. Inuyasha, Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach, many other anime I've simply forgotten about....

Good times.

But did you watch k-on?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Namtab posted:

But did you watch k-on?

That was the 2000s?

But no, I've never seen it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

That was the 2000s?

But no, I've never seen it.

First season came out in '09.

But don't worry. I've never seen it, either.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

k-on is good but not essential

i actually don’t know I’d call any anime an essential watch if someone said they weren’t really interested in the premise

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saagonsa posted:

Okay Valhalla was a bit longer than I was expecting and then I took a couple week break, but now that I beat it let me say: The people in Games who said that it's just channer humor with a story that doesn't go anywhere were insane.

Good game, I enjoyed it.

I fuckin' hated it but I'm glad you enjoyed it :cheers:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

Good game, I enjoyed it.

:haibrow:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Saagonsa posted:

Good game, I enjoyed it.

I loving love VA-11 Hall-A. One of the best soundtracks in gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Erg posted:

k-on is good but not essential

Wrong