Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, there are cheaper places if you're going to bounce around. You can always head out west to BLM land and jump site to site every 2 weeks too, but that's not ideal if you need a job.

And if you're going that route, you probably have time to fart around looking for unstaked mining claims. If you're capable of digging some holes, you can pay about $220/year to stake a 20 acre claim, then fill out the proper paperwork, you have a place to go for 3-6 months (you have to fill out an intent form and actually do some work, or you're limited to 2 weeks).

Not ideal, but if you find yourself in a travel trailer, things aren't ideal anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Salt Fish posted:

Just pay the 5 bucks or whatever to get on the turnpike and then boom free rent for life at all the rest stops.

Sounds like a good way to get harassed by the highway patrol every few hours.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, read the signs at the rest area entrances. They usually say "no overnight parking, except tractor trailers." If you want to sleep on the side of a highway, you can get a CDL and drive for 40¢/mile for Swift or whatever (do not do this).

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Sounds like some of y'all should watch some Bob from Cheap RV living, aka Van Santa. He's been preparing people for the inevitable for years.

https://youtu.be/vn9F0fxnicc

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We had no bathrooms during a renovation and 24 hour nationwide gym chains seem like a real innovation in homelessness. Thirty-three bucks a month gets you hot showers, potable water, and a place to charge devices in addition to an opportunity to getting swole. My local even has a tv lounge area by the occasionally staffed smoothie bar. If you hit the place after 11, nine times out of ten it's your private facility.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

We had no bathrooms during a renovation and 24 hour nationwide gym chains seem like a real innovation in homelessness. Thirty-three bucks a month gets you hot showers, potable water, and a place to charge devices in addition to an opportunity to getting swole. My local even has a tv lounge area by the occasionally staffed smoothie bar. If you hit the place after 11, nine times out of ten it's your private facility.

just stay at the train station and use the elevator there as a bathroom

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I remember at the beginning of the pandemic there were articles about people doing this who suddenly couldnt because of the pandemic.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

what do you do about the sticking fetid clothes?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Ammanas posted:

the word for that is rent

look at this communist who wants to index rent to inflation....that would be rent control!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

i am harry posted:

Laundromat

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

i am harry posted:

Wash them in the sink\shower? I'm not saying it's ideal or anything.

Edit: Also: homeless hustle is next level. The dumpster behind the laundromat by my house is a self-renewing clothing outlet and the thing is immaculate on the inside. Doing something lovely like throwing your lunch waste in there just might get you stabbed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Jun 3, 2022

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Edit: Also: homeless hustle is next level. The dumpster behind the laundromat by my house is a self-renewing clothing outlet and the thing is immaculate on the inside. Doing something lovely like throwing your lunch waste in there just might get you stabbed.

Ive never been homeless but I have been very, very poor and the amount of free poo poo you can score in a decently sized city is absurd, doubly so if you have a car.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

$250,000,000

guess the country

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

can't be real Italy, must be Florida

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol i guessed very wrong

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bawfuls posted:

can't be real Italy, must be Florida

think tackier than florida

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

israel

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

winner winner, chicken dinner.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Someone brought up how specialized mansions are the other day, and then seeing those pictures reminds me of a youtube channel that I love to hate, Enes Yilmazer. Everything about his channel is hilarious and tacky and fun and infuriating. This ones a perfect example of too big and too specialized for anyone to ever buy but there are lots of mansions that go for $15M and completely lack taste or sense or real direction.

https://youtu.be/U8Cd_McCdow

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CongoJack posted:

Laundromat

I ask because my last memory of using a laundromat was in the 90s and doing a full load cost like 3-4ish dollars, each machine requiring 6 quarters or something like that, not including soap, and Im curious how much thats gone up if anyone can chime in

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's gotta be regional because you can still start a lovely top loader for a dollar and a quarter gets you 8 minutes of high capacity dryer time here.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

oh thats a relief!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Bro Dad posted:

$250,000,000

This one's not bad, at first it seems garishly opulent, but then you realize it's just an 80s arcade crying out for its lost heritage

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah until quite recently I didn't have in unit laundry so I went to a laundromat and it was $1.50 to wash per machine, then you could pile two washers worth into one big dryer and put $1.75 in it and it'd dry it all. I brought 5 bucks a week to the laundro and ended up with a quarter to play street fighter 2. Also those tide pods that were a meme a while back are handy because you can just throw a couple in the same ziploc as your quarters and off you go

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

I ask because my last memory of using a laundromat was in the 90s and doing a full load cost like 3-4ish dollars, each machine requiring 6 quarters or something like that, not including soap, and Im curious how much thats gone up if anyone can chime in

i went for a bit last year and it was $6-7/load but a load was like 2-3 normal washing machine sizes. driers were free

the time & travel involved were much bigger deals. was open 24/7 so convenient in that sense

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
$1.75 for top loader, $4.00 for big front loader, 25¢ per 10min of dryer time.

My apartment complex has a laundry room, but the dryer is more expensive and there's frequently busted machines. Also the change machines were stolen. And two of the washers will take turns stealing your money. So I go to the laundromat and read the latest Thrifty Nickel for an hour about once a month.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

$1.75 for top loader, $4.00 for big front loader, 25 per 10min of dryer time.

My apartment complex has a laundry room, but the dryer is more expensive and there's frequently busted machines. Also the change machines were stolen. And two of the washers will take turns stealing your money. So I go to the laundromat and read the latest Thrifty Nickel for an hour about once a month.

That sounds like a heck of a problem. Here's a link to a website I found helpful when I was in a similar situation

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also all three times in my life I've been in person polled/had my Vote Gotten Out its been at the laundro which may or may not mean anything

E: which i guess makes sense? Its a captive audience thats a functionally random sample of ~average americans~ at least those average enoigh to not have in unit laundry

projecthalaxy has issued a correction as of 14:05 on Jun 3, 2022

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

seeing more listings on zillow that have reduced the price

come soon, sweet market correction

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Crusty Nutsack posted:

seeing more listings on zillow that have reduced the price

come soon, sweet market correction

i moved to phoenix very recently and between a month ago and now im seeing like 2x as many zillow listings

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i lust for the drop in housing prices

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

i moved to phoenix very recently and between a month ago and now im seeing like 2x as many zillow listings

southwest outside of cali was the first domino last time too. nice

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Construction is still kinda lagging and the prices for the new houses are insane because of material costs/scarcity but over here I'm seeing a LOT of constructions and if demand wanes with all these things not being sold you're going to see corrections.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

anime was right posted:

southwest outside of cali was the first domino last time too. nice

where I live on the East side suburbs will be the last hot market before the correction.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

moving to phoenix wtf

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

actionjackson posted:

moving to phoenix wtf

phoenix sucks but its cheaper than cali

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

actionjackson posted:

moving to phoenix wtf

Its cheap as far as the western US goes these days and you dont get snow. Thats good enough for a large chunk of Americans even if everything else sucks.

FWIW Id rather live there than Vegas.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the dry, hot conditions are great for seniors and those afflicted with consumption.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

in 15 years the entire Phoenix area will be an abandoned blight as degrading ecological conditions continue to make it even less hospitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ammanas posted:

the dry, hot conditions are great for seniors and those afflicted with consumption.

yeah if not for it being an affront to climate change its a really great place to retire

until you cant drive