Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's mostly not intentional, but I've only watched Tarantino films one time each and haven't seen all of them. Pulp Fiction, for example, I saw in the theaters back in the 90's, and never since, in spite of it being an all around amazing movie. I can probably retell most of the movie from that single watching. Kill Bill I rented on DVD maybe 15 years ago. Haven't gotten around to Jackie Brown.

Anyway I'm watching Django Unchained before it slips out of Netflix's fumbling hands and it's... well it's one hell of a thing to watch. Enjoyably unpleasant, can't look away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jackie Brown is low key the best Tarantino movie. Or maybe True Romance if that counts.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Basterds is his best movie, and kind of the best use of his strengths while also incorporating his idiosyncrasies in ways that are the least annoying. Jackie Brown is real good and probably his most straightforward movie.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I always fall asleep during Jackie Brown. pulp fiction is the best Tarantino imo. Also loved the kill bill saga. Then comes From Dusk Til Dawn

I always get Natural Born Killers confused with Wild at heart I think because I saw them both within the span of a week during a hazy time at school and never revisited either of them

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 2, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

regulargonzalez posted:

Or maybe True Romance if that counts.

It doesn't and it isn't but I enjoy how hard it leans into the 'beginner screenwriter making the main character themself' thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Basterds is his best movie, and kind of the best use of his strengths while also incorporating his idiosyncrasies in ways that are the least annoying. Jackie Brown is real good and probably his most straightforward movie.

i think it's certainly true that those are his two best

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I know it's old news, but I'm watching Love, Death & Robots. It's ridiculously violent at times, but the shorts overall range from at least passable to excellent. The animation in some of them is impressive; I didn't even realize "The Secret War" was CG until a few minutes in.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Signed up for AMC plus thinking I can watch better call Saul's latest season but nope
So where?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Upsidads posted:

Signed up for AMC plus thinking I can watch better call Saul's latest season but nope
So where?

I think the each episode is only on there for so many days after it airs. Does AMC+ have the AMC live stream? I’m sure they air them in re-runs. Aside from that, gonna have to wait for it to drop on Netflix.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's available for purchase on VOD services like Vudu. May not be as ideal as streaming immediate-cost-wise but it won't get pulled like it will on streaming and isn't up only temporarily like on AMC+. Plus for the cost (at least on Vudu) you get all of Part 2 when it comes and the episodes pop up on there within hours of airing instead of waiting a year like Netflix

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 3, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Django and the Hateful Eight are both great.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I liked Night Sky quite a bit but who knows if they will renew it for another season.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hacks season 2 finale ruled. Definitely think this season was somehow even better than the first one, and solidified it as one of my favorite shows on HBO Max

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Booyah- posted:

I liked Night Sky quite a bit but who knows if they will renew it for another season.

I actually finished Night Sky yesterday, and I've been trying to figure out why I hated it so much.

Sissy Spacek and JK Simmons are loving awesome. They don't phone it in, they're amazing. They're the main reason to watch this thing. I don't want to understate how good of a job they do.

However, it's just more stupid mystery box bullshit nonsense. Most of it is wheel-spinning. Everyone is always making mysterious references to things you're theoretically going to find out all about in season 4. Few questions are answered and the ones that are are only answered in the last ten minutes of the last episode. It's more of the horrible crap that lies at the heart of so much 2020's prestige TV: cliffhangers, vaguenesses, the filling up of time with nothing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I actually finished Night Sky yesterday, and I've been trying to figure out why I hated it so much.

Sissy Spacek and JK Simmons are loving awesome. They don't phone it in, they're amazing. They're the main reason to watch this thing. I don't want to understate how good of a job they do.

However, it's just more stupid mystery box bullshit nonsense. Most of it is wheel-spinning. Everyone is always making mysterious references to things you're theoretically going to find out all about in season 4. Few questions are answered and the ones that are are only answered in the last ten minutes of the last episode. It's more of the horrible crap that lies at the heart of so much 2020's prestige TV: cliffhangers, vaguenesses, the filling up of time with nothing.

the best you can hope for is that it gets cancelled after one season so as to punish the writers for their hubris

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Upsidads posted:

So where?

Man I've seen so many people with this exact scenario. In this case I can't fault anyone for :filez: because that's a dick move on AMC's part.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Blame Lost and Damon Lindelof for this poo poo. We've gotten dozens of these series now and only one of them was any good (The Leftovers, and no that doesn't make up for birthing an entire lovely genre).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Archive 81 was pretty good :shobon:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Man I've seen so many people with this exact scenario. In this case I can't fault anyone for :filez: because that's a dick move on AMC's part.

if you google "better call saul season 6 watch online" the first like 10 links are AMC's website :mad:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Blame Lost and Damon Lindelof for this poo poo. We've gotten dozens of these series now and only one of them was any good (The Leftovers, and no that doesn't make up for birthing an entire lovely genre).

On the other hand, Lost was responsible for finally allowing networks to allow creators to end the series when they see fit. Before Lost, networks would just keep ordering new seasons until the show no longer got the ratings to keep renewing it, or the principal stars were no longer contractually obligated to return and declined new contracts.

We have countless series now where going in they say they have an idea for 4 or 5 seasons, and the networks are okay with ending it when the story is done. Maybe we'll get the occasional show like Mad Men where the network throws money at the creator to at least split the final season into two so that they can drag it out a little bit longer.

But the fact that we actually have shows now with actual planned endings is a good thing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Everytime I think of bad cliffhangers my go-to is that episode of Sherlock where the lady villain says "that's a nice face Dr. Watson...what if I put a bullet in it!!!" and then shoots her gun and the episode ends and I guess you're supposed to be really scared that they killed off the show's second lead for a week but don't worry she actually just used a tranquilizer gun

So in the context of the show she only said that to make Watson slightly more scared for a couple seconds

Anyway all prestige TV is becoming that

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

if you google "better call saul season 6 watch online" the first like 10 links are AMC's website :mad:

You need to step your game up friend

Really loving the new stranger things. It’s super scary lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

On the other hand, Lost was responsible for finally allowing networks to allow creators to end the series when they see fit.

They wanted to end it at season 3 https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/lost-ending-original-plans-damon-lindelof-interview/

quote:

"There were all of these compelling mysteries and so we were saying, 'We wanna have this stuff answered by the end of Season 1, this stuff answered by the end of Season 2, and then the show basically ends after about three years.' That was the initial pitch, and they were not even hearing it. They looked at particularly me — Carlton came on about midway through Season 1 and he joined the chorus of me — but they were just like, 'Do you understand how hard it is to make a show that people want to watch? And people like the show? So why would we end it? You don't end shows that people are watching.'"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is A24's viewing room app any better?

There's an EEAAO screening for $10 (for AAA24 members) and I'd love to do it, but I also screened The Green Knight for $20 and the app was dog poo poo on my roku tv. Terribly compressed 1080p stream with horrible audio.

Wondering if it's got any better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

You need to step your game up friend

Really loving the new stranger things. It’s super scary lol

i got a new laptop last year and i haven't pirated ANYTHING on it yet and i am annoyed that i might have to install utorrent just for one show :mad:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rewatched green room for the first time in a few years last night and goddamn that movie is so good. I think I have rewatched it like 3-4 times now and it always holds up.

What are some other good horror/not horror movies? ie. Green Room, The Hunt (the Mads Mikkelson movie not the dumb slasher from last year). Like, movies that aren't technically horror but are tense thrillers or dramas with some horrific scenario.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Rewatched green room for the first time in a few years last night and goddamn that movie is so good. I think I have rewatched it like 3-4 times now and it always holds up.

What are some other good horror/not horror movies? ie. Green Room, The Hunt (the Mads Mikkelson movie not the dumb slasher from last year). Like, movies that aren't technically horror but are tense thrillers or dramas with some horrific scenario.

The Empty Man

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like the empty man but I would very much consider that horror horror lol.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

whoever recommended hacks, thank you really liking it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

bit out of left field but Uncut Gems was the most profoundly anxious and stressed out I've ever been watching a movie. living life through the eyes of a degenerate gambler is pretty horrific.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes Uncut Gems is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. Have seen that one though.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yes Uncut Gems is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. Have seen that one though.

have you seen Good Time also by the Safdie Brothers? Similar thesis, only more crime focused.

e. drat,

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 3, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Good Time rules.

haha any time I ask for movie recs it occurs to me I've seen too many movies already.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

veni veni veni posted:

If you liked The Hunt, Riders of Justice is a pretty tense thriller staring Mads that might be up your alley.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Valhalla Rising has Mads Mikkleson in it and it is loving brutal.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I don't disagree with what you said and I had many of the same complaints about Severance. It's just that Severance was renewed for a second season instantly

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

veni veni veni posted:

After Hours is probably S tier for this category

Blue Velvet

The King of Comedy

The Conversation's ending is pretty nightmarish

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

If you liked The Hunt, Riders of Justice is a pretty tense thriller staring Mads that might be up your alley.
Definitely seconded.

Also recommend The Wolf House. May still be on Shudder? It was also once on the Criterion Channel. But get it wherever you can, it's just that good. Not a conventional horror movie but definitely the most anxiety ridden horror show ive ever seen. Really just an incredible and disturbing film and artistic effort of the sort of level i havent seen in...maybe ages, shades of Jan Svankmeyer but it really goes beyond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoYazbA1Ic
I also urge complete sobriety. Getting high would be a bad bad idea.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also yes RRR was an incredibly fun spectacle. Anime as gently caress, sometimes felt like videogame cinemas. Like, Metal Gear Lagaan. I do feel like it lagged a bit after a while, it's long as gently caress and could use some editing but hey it keeps you entertained pretty regularly. The loving dance-off, the loving...everything!!! It's hard not to love a movie where this many white guys die in funny ways, even if it is propagandistic as hell (that final song lmao).
I got a big kick out of the evil governor, who is straight up an anime villain, and also thought filling EVERY ROOM in his castle with TNT was a GREAT IDEA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Jim Cummings' The Beta Test taps into that same near-horror anxiety meltdown energy.