Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

They've very pointedly never said that you only play as Clive, because I think that a second mainline FF that was that degree of sausage fest in a row would be the death knell of the franchise for a lot of people.

Is it a sausage fest if there's only one sausage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the eikon battles and the 1v1 boss duels seem to be a different combat system from the action field stuff i wonder if they're turn based

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

They've very pointedly never said that you only play as Clive, because I think that a second mainline FF that was that degree of sausage fest in a row would be the death knell of the franchise for a lot of people.

Weird people that only pay attention to numbered FFs but not remakes or expacks I guess.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hard to say theyve pointedly never said something when theyve basically said nothing about the game?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Am I understanding the FF16 trailer right in that it's basically Attack on Titan but with FF summons instead?

Or if you prefer, it's a mecha anime where someone climbs inside Bahamut?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

clive fucks confirmed
way to go buddy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jetrauben posted:

because I think that a second mainline FF that was that degree of sausage fest in a row would be the death knell of the franchise for a lot of people.

At least one person? Sure yeah.

For a significant amount of people? No god no. That's stupid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

What I mean is more that it appears that you're solo in combat. I guess we don't know if there are sections where you play as someone else.

Believe me, I was one of the people insisting that there would definitely be party members before this trailer, but if they didn't show up here (especially with the UI looking how it does with the very clear "1 on 1" positioning of the HP meters at the top) I would be very surprised to eventually learn that you have a three-person party or something. This is the kind of trailer where you'd show more than one person on the player's side in battle if you were gonna do that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

drat must suck for those five people

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There could easily still be party members, but I doubt they're playable given the way the combat seems to function.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its the FF14 team, they're not adding party members until the third expansion pack

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i literally don't give a gently caress if there's party members or not the game looks sick

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

No party members in FFXVI, so guess I'll be skipping this one. I hate the way FF has been going. XIV gave me hope but I knew it'd turn out like this when Yoshida said it was inspired by Game of Thrones

Like, XV already was annoying in how the women were largely set dressing, and even the other party members didn't like... actually have a real effect on the plot. And now XVI is like "The only woman we show serves as a plot device for Clive Protagonist." I mean, I guess we get Shiva but she wasn't shown to be anything more than a summon lol.

And the weird one on one gameplay is just... not jiving with me.

I hate that my favorite game series is becoming progressively more and more, in a weird way, sterilized for a global audience. IT'S DARK, IT'S ACTIONY, CLIVE HAS SEX! I haaaaaate it so much. Hopefully the FF9 Remake rumors are true at least.

And like WHERE WAS THE COLOR. It reminds me so much of XV, heavy uses of dark colors, very, very little bright colors.

I miss when FF was bright. Waking up in Besaid and seeing the beautiful island, the artifical beauty of the Gardens in 8. Everything about 9. Arriving on Coccoon for the first time in 13. The world maps from 1 through 6, and the bright color palettes for the sprites.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jetrauben posted:

One dude isn’t a sausage fest, it isn’t even a sausage soirée

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Really instead of making this FF16 make this DLC for SoP where Jack gets to beat up the various summons, it'd basically be the same thing except better.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To be fair, we don't even know if Clive has a penis.

Maybe a Tonberry chopped it off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a.lo posted:

It doesn't appear to be one-on-one, for what it's worth. There are of clips in the trailer of Clive fighting groups of enemies. The "two health bars, one on one" thing looks like it's how they're showing boss HP.

Not that I expect that to change your mind given the rest of your post but still.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

thetoughestbean posted:

One dude isn’t a sausage fest, it isn’t even a sausage soirée

C'mon, man, you know what I'm saying as well as I do.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a.lo posted:

And now XVI is like "The only woman we show serves as a plot device for Clive Protagonist."

aw yeah i loving love extrapolating

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

a.lo posted:

No party members in FFXVI, so guess I'll be skipping this one. I hate the way FF has been going. XIV gave me hope but I knew it'd turn out like this when Yoshida said it was inspired by Game of Thrones

Like, XV already was annoying in how the women were largely set dressing, and even the other party members didn't like... actually have a real effect on the plot. And now XVI is like "The only woman we show serves as a plot device for Clive Protagonist." I mean, I guess we get Shiva but she wasn't shown to be anything more than a summon lol.

I hate that my favorite game series is becoming progressively more and more, in a weird way, sterilized for a global audience. IT'S DARK, IT'S ACTIONY, CLIVE HAS SEX! I haaaaaate it so much. Hopefully the FF9 Remake rumors are true at least.

And like WHERE WAS THE COLOR. It reminds me so much of XV, heavy uses of dark colors, very, very little bright colors.

I miss when FF was bright. Waking up in Besaid and seeing the beautiful island, the artifical beauty of the Gardens in 8. Everything about 9. Arriving on Coccoon for the first time in 13. The world maps from 1 through 6, and the bright color palettes for the sprites.

FF13 was 2 mainline games ago.

And even ignoring how even those ff games weren't consistent in tone or how 'bright' they actually weren't and the fact that you're extrapolating an entire JRPG's narrative from 12 seconds of trailer to get mad at it...

It's okay for a franchise to try something different 30 years in at this point. Especially when they've been rereleasing and remaking everything they've done in the past consistently to this point.

But also holy poo poo no, just because they were limited to sprites and specific color palettes doesn't mean they weren't loving dark and horny. FF has also been willing to dip into depressing melodrama and incredibly horny poo poo.

THe second Final Fantasy was a war drama where most of the world is destroyed or dies. Just because the overworld grass tiles were primary green doesn't make the game 'bright'.

Jetrauben posted:

We know, it was just a stupid statement which is why you got joking answers back.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 3, 2022

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If there's a big focus on eikons is post game superboss dlc against my XIV warrior of light so much to ask

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I hope they go all in with the summons. Bring us Fat Chocobo, Remora, Syldra, Cait Sith, even that one thing Rydia had in 4DS that you powered up by solving math problems.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I hope they go all in with the summons. Bring us Fat Chocobo, Remora, Syldra, Cait Sith, even that one thing Rydia had in 4DS that you powered up by solving math problems.

if I channel Fat Chocobo will Clive curl into a ball and roll around knocking enemies over? This is important

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I have high hopes for this product from Creative Business Unit III

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i can't believe they made a final fantasy game inspired by currently popular western fantasy, this is a massive departure from the rest of the series which took inspiration from japanese cultural touchstones like d&d, blade runner, star wars, and 15th century british military conflicts

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 3, 2022

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Augus posted:

aw yeah i loving love extrapolating

Well the way to get people to not have to extrapolate is to directly show actual onscreen evidence otherwise, isn't it? This game's been announced for over a year, at this point it's not unreasonable to conclude that if the game doesn't actually show women taking much of a primary role, they may not be doing so!

I'm hoping against hope it'll have party members and such but it's not an unreasonable assessment that this is the story of Clive, specifically, with everyone else being appendages to his saga.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jetrauben posted:

While I share some of your concerns (I’m sad that classic turn based Final Fantasy seems to be a thing of the past, I enjoy having party members who play off each other) ultimately I have made my peace with the fact that Final Fantasy is a franchise built upon reinventing itself.

I don’t think having a singular male protagonist is a bad thing, especially when the other big Final Fantasy games at the moment have prominent and playable female characters.

Mostly I just wanted to make a joke about a smaller form of sausage party.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I do hope there's an X-2 style sequel with the girl, shiva, and the garuda lady they cut to when it says GARUDA

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just want the game to derail at the 3/4ths mark and suddenly Clive is punching ghosts on the moon.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Did people complain this much when Lightning Returns just had Lightning as the protagonist? "God, I'm so sick of them making Final Fantasy a vagina party. First FFX-2 and now this. All the FF games forever are now just only about women and I hate it."

Party dynamics and gender are constantly changing in this series, and we know almost NOTHING about this one. Calm down people.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

I don’t think Cait Sith was ever a summon, but other than that I absolutely want Clive to gain the power of the Goblin eikon

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t think having a singular male protagonist is a bad thing, especially when the other big Final Fantasy games at the moment have prominent and playable female characters.

You mean 7R, basically?

I think the folks I know, at least, are extremely bitter about 13 being a clusterfuck, then being responded to by XV's extremely masc-oriented story, and even XIV has considerably more active male than female representation (there's a LOT more dude Scions than lady Scions for example). So if 16, too, is ultimately the Story of a Dude, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for folks who already feel other franchises are The Story of Dudes to feel a bit annoyed.

Schwartzcough posted:

Did people complain this much when Lightning Returns just had Lightning as the protagonist? "God, I'm so sick of them making Final Fantasy a vagina party. First FFX-2 and now this. All the FF games forever are now just only about women and I hate it."

Yes, because female representation is soooo dominant and monotonous in the industry.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

While I share some of your concerns (I’m sad that classic turn based Final Fantasy seems to be a thing of the past, I enjoy having party members who play off each other)

The last one with classic turn based was X-2 and it game out 20 years ago. It's been a thing of a past long enough to vote.

Jetrauben posted:

XIV has considerably more active male than female representation (there's a LOT more dude Scions than lady Scions for example).

Outside of the raw numbers of Scions that's the most untrue poo poo in the loving world. If you look at basically any of hte main casts for any of the expacs it's an even split or female dominated. Hell, even the world leaders you constantly bumble around with literally just got enough dudes to even it out a decade into the franchise.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Clive dies and thanks to Phoenix is reborn as Chaos.

FF16 takes place in the Kingdom of Lufenia, where they discover ancient technology that allows them to travel the universe and basically gently caress with the other FF worlds.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The last one with classic turn based was X-2 and it game out 20 years ago. It's been a thing of a past long enough to vote.

I’d say that XIII’s trilogy is an evolution of the ATB system but yeah, I know. It’s why I had to make my peace with it!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schwartzcough posted:

Not really the same is it when the only two all-female games are sequels that released with little fanfare and were largely ignored in the mainstream.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t think Cait Sith was ever a summon, but other than that I absolutely want Clive to gain the power of the Goblin eikon

FF6, called Stray in the SNES version, forgot what it's called in the current translation. Not the FF7 character obviously but still counts.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jetrauben posted:

(there's a LOT more dude Scions than lady Scions for example).

Dudes:
Thancred
Papalymo
Urianger

Ladies:
Minfilia
Y'shtola
Yda
Alisaie
Krile

WHOOPS, three to five.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I’d say that XIII’s trilogy is an evolution of the ATB system but yeah, I know. It’s why I had to make my peace with it!

13's evolution was basically making more into an action game to the point that their next big iteration of it was effectively DMC but with an atb meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

stev posted:

Not really the same is it when the only two all-female games are sequels that released with little fanfare and were largely ignored in the mainstream.

Compared to the one all male one that was largely thought to be an unfinished mess that was kind of fun? The one really really loved by the franchises female fans?