Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Read After Burning posted:

I would like Smoliv from Pokemon and Lollive from Bugsnax to be friends. :kiddo:

With a pen and paper and the magic of your imagination, you can make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barreft posted:

Ender Lilies is such a good metroidvania. Releasing a week before Dread was a death sentence.

It was also in Early Access forever so it lacked the Out Of Nowhere feel.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I stayed away from Octopath because I was looking for SNES-tier RPG story writing and people were saying it ain’t that. Triangle Strategy being called better than Octo is making me curious.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Triangle Strategy is extremely story-dense to the extent that some people thought it was a bit too story-heavy. It's definitely a great game if you want that sort of thing that Octopath kind of lacked.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Triangle Strategy is very wordy but the story is good. Structurally it’s a bit like Tactics Ogre but with multiple smaller story splits (with a big one at the end) rather than a couple big ones.

One thing to note is that unlike FFT or Tactics Ogre there’s no job system. Every character has a set class with linear promotions. But also every character is unique—nobody shares a class with anyone else. It’s less about character building and more about team building.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 2, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rolo posted:

I stayed away from Octopath because I was looking for SNES-tier RPG story writing and people were saying it ain’t that. Triangle Strategy being called better than Octo is making me curious.

I've bought TS but I haven't played it yet. I bought and played and re-sold Octopath Traveler and fully enjoyed it. It's a great throwback JRPG and the battle system is rather inspired even if it's not great at random battles, by the end they do get tedious. I think the writing is better in OT than in your average SNES game, in that it feels rather grounded and personal, even with all the clichés. You never feel like you're going against a world ending monstrosity until the forced ending, and honestly I preferred that. Here's just some adventures! It's like short stories in video game form, and short stories are pretty much my favorite form of fiction.

I'm almost certain I'll like Live-A-Live if it's anything like that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Live a Live is great and if you thought the first parts of the character stories in Octopath were good then Live a Live will be right up your alley.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nep-Nep posted:

Live a Live is great and if you thought the first parts of the character stories in Octopath were good then Live a Live will be right up your alley.

Does it have an actual overarching plot? Because the lack of one completely turned me off octopath.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Live-a-Live vagueish spoilers but still pretty spoilerish: You start with seven separate chapters, then once you play them all, you unlock an eighth that seems unrelated but ends up kinda tying everything together, and after you finish that then you get the end-game where things kinda converge on each other, so in a way it's like Octopath but it arguably does a better job tying everything together, though not significantly more so.

It's worth a playthrough for the novelty and all, though I wouldn't blame anyone for emulating the original over spending $50 for what seems like a rather faithful remake.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Both also have demos if you want to try them out first.

I don't get the SwSh hate, it plays fine to me, has some cool new Pokies, adds a ton of much-needed QoL features and at least tries to innovate with the Wild Area. The story is dumb but it's a Pokemon game so of course the story's gonna be dumb.

There's an entire genre of 2+ hour long youtube videos to tediously explain how SwSh killed the series

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Black and White are obviously good pokemon games but the premise of the villains beef is "pokemon are slaves" and there's just no way to have a satisfying conclusion to that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Black and White are obviously good pokemon games but the premise of the villains beef is "pokemon are slaves" and there's just no way to have a satisfying conclusion to that

What about "letting him win"?

Because he's loving right. :colbert:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mister Facetious posted:

No, no, see, he was actually just concern trolling as part of a long con to take over the world. That means nobody needs to worry about it. Go catch ‘em all!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Go catch ‘em all!

Even the most comfortable prison is still a prison.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's nothing wrong with catching hundreds of Pokemon and leaving them in boxes for decades until they die of digital rot, they actually enjoy it!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"Bad mom" is unironically a much better story

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I liked how SwSh introduced Bede as this rear end in a top hat rival character but then he gets the bright idea of having an elephant ram a landmark so much he gets fired from being an orphan and then gets shoehorned into taking over the Fairy gym.

Thinking about it, SwSh does have some wonderfully dumb story moments. I like dumb stories that revel in their own stupidity, which is also why I'm a Final Fantasy fan.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mega64 posted:

There's nothing wrong with catching hundreds of Pokemon and leaving them in boxes for decades until they die of digital rot, they actually enjoy it!

For real though, this is why features that encourage you to bond and interact with your small party of pokemon friends are good, and features that encourage you to catch every single pokemon you see and toss the duplicates into the grist mill are bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I wonder how many Pokemon have been orphaned for not being shiny or for not having good enough stats.

In Pokemon, if you're not perfect, you do not deserve love.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I wonder how many Pokemon have been orphaned for not being shiny or for not having good enough stats.

:commissar:

I bet the single largest population of Pokemon are Cubones... :ohdear:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mister Facetious posted:

The actual antagonists of the game are a literal feral child who they're pretending is a secret underground king and his abusive adopted father who is using him as a figurehead so he can disarm everyone else and eventually rule the country as the only one with Pokemon. That dad is also one of two Pokemon antagonists who ever tries to directly murder the player (twice), both times by ordering a Pokemon he's enslaved to do it and stopped by feral kid.

Feral kid basically fucks off because his whole life was a lie and he doesn't know anything after the first game and only shows up in the sequel to job to his lovely dad so he can capture and torture his Pokemon.

Like the absolute best case scenario where you let the villain win is putting some dumbass kid in charge who was raised outside of human society and does the 'What are these strange huuumon emotions you speak of????' about everything and constantly loving up.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 3, 2022

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I clearly missed the most hosed-up pokemon games

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
feral kid is good. I am pro natural harmonia gropius. He’s ridiculous but still about as compelling as bad mom and way more compelling than any of the other big villains they’ve tried to set up

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

I clearly missed the most hosed-up pokemon games

The evil leader in the next game starts a cult for rich people so he can genocide the non-rich and eventually tries to orbital laser the player to curse them with eternal life.

The professor and one of the Elite 4 members are two of that dude's closest confidants. No one really mentions or deals with it despite the whole genocide plot and this convo happens almost beat for beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN9DW4rrEjY

oh yeah, feral kid's name is Natural Harmonia Gropius or 'N' for short

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

"Bad mom" is unironically a much better story

Sun/Moon had an awesome story that was butchered in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. I’m not going to lie I barely remember the story in BW but I do remember liking the movie studio in BW2 a lot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's really funny that it's like 5 seconds between team plasma's ideology being introduced and you finding a bunch of their goons kicking a helpless pokemon for fun and laughing about how much they love being evil.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

By Gen 5, Pokemon plots started to go to weird places because its hard to top Gen 4's plot of "Evil team leader wants to control the legendaries to remake the universe in his own image" in terms of scale, so they mostly went for more complex plots (by Pokemon standards) that don't have you personally experiencing any real character development since you're player avatar rather then an actual character.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Meanwhile the "evil" team in SwSh just go around being cheerleaders for their leader's sister and at one point block your progress because they're too focused on cheering on some random Pokemon that's just lying around.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

How many legendary Pokemons do I need to finish the Infinity Gauntlet?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You only need all fifteen forms of Charizard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also the 'evil' plot in Sword and Shield is by far the stupidest and worst in the series. Somehow even more pathetic than 'take over a Radio tower and beg Giovanni to come back' and dumber than the idiots in Ruby/Sapphire.

Basically Poke-Britain is siphoning off energy from this sleeping incredibly powerful Pokemon. There will be an energy crisis in 1000 years if they don't eventually wake it up or figure something else out, but waking it up could be risky because its big and destructive. This CEO guy decides he wants to be proactive and fix the problem and enlists the help of the Pokemon league champ who agrees, but only if they do it like tomorrow because he has the finals today.

So CEO decides that this 1000 year ticking clock is urgent enough that he goes to wake up the Pokemon anyway to solve the crisis immediately and you need to fix his fuckup by beating the big pissed off Pokemon back to sleep which minorly interrupts your league challenge.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

on the other hand, peony owned

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I actually like that direction they've taken "evil" teams. Everyone expects the group known as "Team whatever" to be antagonistic but they made Team Skull and Team Yell very goofy, while also giving their "leaders" more depth.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zore posted:

Also the 'evil' plot in Sword and Shield is by far the stupidest and worst in the series. Somehow even more pathetic than 'take over a Radio tower and beg Giovanni to come back' and dumber than the idiots in Ruby/Sapphire.

Basically Poke-Britain is siphoning off energy from this sleeping incredibly powerful Pokemon. There will be an energy crisis in 1000 years if they don't eventually wake it up or figure something else out, but waking it up could be risky because its big and destructive. This CEO guy decides he wants to be proactive and fix the problem and enlists the help of the Pokemon league champ who agrees, but only if they do it like tomorrow because he has the finals today.

So CEO decides that this 1000 year ticking clock is urgent enough that he goes to wake up the Pokemon anyway to solve the crisis immediately and you need to fix his fuckup by beating the big pissed off Pokemon back to sleep which minorly interrupts your league challenge.

I think the villain plot might have been better being cut altogether but that is some too-real ceo poo poo. The rest of the story I like

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I can't believe a CEO would make a rash and idiotic decision that would put millions of lives at risk.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The thing I do appreciate about Pokemon is that 4/4 of their last villains have been idiot CEOs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pokemon's commentary of "Rich people are really loving stupid" is actually meta-commentary of how the games are developed and why they end up looking so cheaply made.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope the new game doubles down on trainers commenting on the current battle... to a reasonable degree at least

That was actually something I thought would make a nice addition and then bam its a new feature. Kind of

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The ‘friend’ they give you in swsh is patronising to the point I can’t imagine anyone of any age would enjoy it. the game was easy enough that there was time to personally target his Pokémon in doubles battles and wipe his team out of spite and still win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega64 posted:

I can't believe a CEO would make a rash and idiotic decision that would put millions of lives at risk.

he's well-intentioned tho, that’s what makes it unbelievable