Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Covok posted:

Last one for tonight. This is based on the "simplify it" approach.

Is it really important that they know which states you've prepared tax returns for?

If you've prepared tax returns for 33 states, say you've prepared tax returns for 33 states. If they really want to know about your, say, OR tax prep experience, they can ask in the interview. Or you can lightly modify the resume if it's in the posting (Prepared tax returns in over 30 states, including OR). But it seems kind of overkill to list a bunch of them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Covok posted:

Last one for tonight. This is based on the "simplify it" approach.

I successfully made a career shift from lawyer to software dev. I think the most important thing when making a pivot is to make your resume and cover letter laser focused on creating a narrative that guides the reader into understanding where you came from, where you are now, and how getting the role you are seeking is the logical next step in your plan.

Right now I am not understanding what your narrative is based on your resume.

When I first started applying to dev jobs, I was used to having 10 years of lawyer experience filling up two pages and tried to get dev interviews from my resume by showing I had this wealth of experience + a bootcamp.

What I found to be more engaging to hiring managers was to tell a story.

My narrative is that I've always been a terminally online computer nerd that explored a career in law. I always wanted to work in a tech culture but never had the opportunity to find a full time law job in a tech environment. I decided to try to scratch that itch by refreshing the dev skills I had in high school and undergrad and applying them to my corporate law job. I achieved X, Y, Z by building software to automate my practice and wanted to continue developing my career in that direction. I didn't have a path forward to do so at that company so I decided to take a boot camp. I successfully completed the boot camp and am looking for my first dev job.

I cut, cut, cut, cut everything that wasn't related to the narrative I was trying to tell. I can comfortably tell a story about transitioning from lawyer to dev in 1 page even with 10+ years of experience. (Bonus: I think being able to cut is a heavily underrated skill)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
^^^ Man that is a great fuckin' post.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To be honest, the narrative thing flew over my head a bit. I tried to address it but I think I hosed up. I'll post what I made but I won't bother anyone anymore because I feel I am taking advantage of y'all. If there is a narrative and how things are transferable, I tried to make this version to show "how many clients and how much work I can manage at once, this is how much profits went up under me, I worked in all these fields, this is how many years experience I have."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you need your narrative in your mind first. drop the resume for now and write out your narrative in your post. what's the job that you want, why do you want it, and how does your work experience make you an excellent candidate for the job?

what you've got is boringboring facts, the resume shows you are a good performer at the things that you have done - which would be great if you were applying for a job that was similar to your current job. but you're not. so how does this stuff connect to what the hiring manager and HR person look for when they look for a good candidate for the job you want to have?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Covok posted:

To be honest, the narrative thing flew over my head a bit. I tried to address it but I think I hosed up. I'll post what I made but I won't bother anyone anymore because I feel I am taking advantage of y'all. If there is a narrative and how things are transferable, I tried to make this version to show "how many clients and how much work I can manage at once, this is how much profits went up under me, I worked in all these fields, this is how many years experience I have."

Still needs work but this is moving in the right direction

Mantle
May 15, 2004

There's no advantage being taken here, goons like to help goons.

Basically you've said you are trying to get away from accounting but you haven't told us why or what you want to do instead. Think about your elevator pitch, how to capture the interest of a hiring manager you bump into in two sentences. What would you say?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you need your narrative in your mind first. drop the resume for now and write out your narrative in your post. what's the job that you want, why do you want it, and how does your work experience make you an excellent candidate for the job?

what you've got is boringboring facts, the resume shows you are a good performer at the things that you have done - which would be great if you were applying for a job that was similar to your current job. but you're not. so how does this stuff connect to what the hiring manager and HR person look for when they look for a good candidate for the job you want to have?

Well, I am trying to say that I worked really hard in public accounting and got a lot of experience that I can use to move to private accounting. Public accounting is when you work for a firm that contracts you out. Private is you work for a specifc company and only them.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Why don’t you talk to Danny the goon resume master guy? Seems like he could probably straighten you out in an hour or so.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Covok posted:

Consider removing the recruiting and training lines from the first job listing, since it's in the qualifications already. If you really wanted to focus on that (in that you're trying to become a manager in your new world), you could leave it but make it a single sentence, and I'd put it after your achievements and duty descriptions.

I don't really love the large enumerative sentences in the qualifications, but I am not sure it would be better served with bulleted lists and/or columns because the terms are actually quite long themselves. Not sure how I'd square that circle. It's not the worst, I guess.

For the "Managed the accounts of a variety blah blah" section, for now you could leave it as it is, but then again if you apply for a position within an industry you already have experience with, you could consider changing your resume for that position to highlight that feature to try to make yourself appealing to whatever HR drone looks at your resume for 3 seconds. This does mean keeping track of resumes in your job search which is the biggest ballache, but it's probably worth it to take every advantage. You could have it say something like "Previous experience working with chocolate teacup manufacturing" or "Worked on accounts with one of nation's top 5 Glory Hole brands" or something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Covok posted:

Well, I am trying to say that I worked really hard in public accounting and got a lot of experience that I can use to move to private accounting. Public accounting is when you work for a firm that contracts you out. Private is you work for a specifc company and only them.

I'm going to repeat myself because until you can answer this question in a productive way that will resonate with an employer it is totally useless to edit your resume.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's the job that you want, why do you want it, and how does your work experience make you an excellent candidate for the job?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Welp, can’t make it work with the company that offered me more money than I was expecting, they want me to sign an offer without knowing what shift I’d be on and I just can’t do that. It’s a shame because I was getting pretty pumped about getting to work there, despite the type of work (which isn’t my preference) it is.

But, at my current job I have job security for now. Yesterday I was asked by a supervisor if I wanted to go work for him in quality control. Not turning wrenches in that role, but it’s a bump in pay, something new to learn, and something that looks decent on my resume. I haven’t given an answer yet because I was waiting to hear back from this other company, and I don’t know how much the bump in pay is. It probably will not equal what I would’ve made at the other company, but who knows.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, refusing to tell you which shift you'll be working basically tells you which shift you'll be working: third.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, refusing to tell you which shift you'll be working basically tells you which shift you'll be working: third.

Hey, it could also be a rotating shift schedule!!!! :henget:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hey, it could also be a rotating shift schedule!!!! :henget:

What emoji is this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

What emoji is this

its some weird mr. water reference or something

i just think its fun

i dont make the rules

also in looking this up it brought me back to the Mr Water thread and uhh drat the forums were Different back then and not in a good way

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also in looking this up it brought me back to the Mr Water thread and uhh drat the forums were Different back then and not in a good way

the what now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Quackles posted:

the what now

a guy pretended to be a special needs child to prank? his water delivery man?

post 08s are weird

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Haven't looked for a new job in a long time.. so I'm trying to figure out the flow for interviews now in the sf tech area. specifically the FAANG companies. or MAANGM? whatever it is now. seems like the entire industry now is completely wrapped around doing leetcode for test problems. anyone provide any basic insights or do i have to just snoop around Blind for info.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Strong Sauce posted:

Haven't looked for a new job in a long time.. so I'm trying to figure out the flow for interviews now in the sf tech area. specifically the FAANG companies. or MAANGM? whatever it is now. seems like the entire industry now is completely wrapped around doing leetcode for test problems. anyone provide any basic insights or do i have to just snoop around Blind for info.

Check out the interviewing thread in the pos if you don’t get an answer here. I know a few people there have interviewed or worked at the FAANGs…I did too but like 10 years ago now.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

She explained that the supervisors don’t know and can’t really plan for that, but it’s whatever. Trying to get $1-2 more than the expected comp increase for QC and using the offer for that.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ok, I need help. I’ve read the OP and 1st/last 10 pages. I had my resume done through a service and several months down the road, I don’t feel like it’s helping me.

I’ve been bartending for the last 15 years since I got out of the Navy and I want OUT! I did a Cybersecurity Bootcamp last year and really liked it. I got my Sec+ in Feb and hopefully passing Net+ on the 29th, but I’ve never worked in IT. I’m hoping to get a SOC analyst job or into GRC, but if I can pay my rent/car note/student loans, I’ll take help desk if it gets me out of the bar before I catch COVID again.

One note: I was a Navy intel guy in a past life but I don’t have a clearance, don’t want a clearance, and considering how :dta: I’ve gotten the past 10 years I probably can’t get one.

I know I’m setting myself up for abuse by posting this turd, but I’m highly motivated to sort my poo poo out.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Get rid of the profile and areas of expertise. If you are actually an expert in those areas then put them in your skills section.
Your bartending isn't relevant to the job you want: If you want to keep it on because of the managerial experience then it should be condensed and put at the end.
Your 'additional experience' sounds like actual experience and should probably be listed as such. If you don't think your navy experience is relevant then your education should be first, followed by the certificates, and then your skills, which preferably should be grouped by subject.
Your navy service and education should have dates.
Everything should fit on one page.

Nobody is going to read the cover letter, and I would have thrown it out after the first sentence.
If someone actually asks for a cover letter, then cut out at least the first two sentences as well as all the conversational bits.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

navyjack posted:

Ok, I need help. I’ve read the OP and 1st/last 10 pages. I had my resume done through a service and several months down the road, I don’t feel like it’s helping me.

I’ve been bartending for the last 15 years since I got out of the Navy and I want OUT! I did a Cybersecurity Bootcamp last year and really liked it. I got my Sec+ in Feb and hopefully passing Net+ on the 29th, but I’ve never worked in IT. I’m hoping to get a SOC analyst job or into GRC, but if I can pay my rent/car note/student loans, I’ll take help desk if it gets me out of the bar before I catch COVID again.

One note: I was a Navy intel guy in a past life but I don’t have a clearance, don’t want a clearance, and considering how :dta: I’ve gotten the past 10 years I probably can’t get one.

I know I’m setting myself up for abuse by posting this turd, but I’m highly motivated to sort my poo poo out.

I have no idea how resumes work in the USA vs the Irish CV so I'll just stick to technical stuff.

"APT" is a bit of a buzzword that means "whatever Mandiant wants it to mean" and you run the risk of starting a slapfight over it with the hiring manager if they hate Mandiant. Change "Cybersecurity planning" to "Threat Modelling". It's a better search term and you've already got "Cybersecurity" and "planning" somewhere else. Try work in "triage" and "prioritise" to your Navy experience. You probably had a firehose of bullshit to handle there, and you'll have a firehose of bullshit to handle as a SOC monkey. Your second bullet point for your bootcamp can be summarised as "DFIR".

Your technologies are solid, but get five minutes of experience with Nessus or OpenVAS under your belt and you'll be even better. Do another five minutes with Python, because people love Python. Be prepared to be asked about maybe being a pentester with Metasploit experience.

If your basic networking skills are okay consider skipping the Network+ and think about the CySA+ instead. It's the SOC focused branch of the CompTIA certs.

TheLastManStanding is correct about your "additional experience". That's what would make me think you can do the job.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Agree, lead with whats strong. Keep the bartending because it shows you can show up to work and whatnot but it should probably be put at the end (You frequently see advise "lead with experience" because for most people that's their best attribute. It's not with you yet).

Your bootcamp and additional experience are your best highlights and you have them very hidden.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You probably shouldn't need a cover letter for the jobs you're applying to, but you should write a new cover letter if a company wants one. You can use some stock phrases out of your generic template but you should be tailoring it pretty significantly to the job situation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

edit, wait I thought based on the comment this was in the EU. If this is in the US get that poo poo down to 1 page.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Just reaffirms that the resume service I used sucked. The guy seemed determined that nobody would give a poo poo about the Navy stuff because it was so long ago. In fact, until I changed it to put the other stuff in, it was literally "Other Experience: Cryptographic Technician Interpretive, USN 1997-2007" with no other information.

So, the idea is that I should put that up top and amplify it? Then the bartending/management/soft skills stuff under "Other Experience"? Take out the "mission statement" fluff at the top?

Maybe I'll try the goon resume service. He's got 300 pages of people saying he's awesome. Another person at work out sick for a week with "a cold but its not covid."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You did it for ten years? :psyduck:

I will bet :10bux: that the first SOC you apply for will be super impressed at that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

navyjack posted:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Just reaffirms that the resume service I used sucked. The guy seemed determined that nobody would give a poo poo about the Navy stuff because it was so long ago. In fact, until I changed it to put the other stuff in, it was literally "Other Experience: Cryptographic Technician Interpretive, USN 1997-2007" with no other information.

So, the idea is that I should put that up top and amplify it? Then the bartending/management/soft skills stuff under "Other Experience"? Take out the "mission statement" fluff at the top?

Maybe I'll try the goon resume service. He's got 300 pages of people saying he's awesome. Another person at work out sick for a week with "a cold but its not covid."

Just remember, jacking off in a windowless SCIF is NOT cybersecurity professional behavior! Leave that part out!!!

I agree in spirit with what others have posted.

I think the core problem you've got is that you don't seem to know what people hiring for the roles you're applying for are looking for. So you have an unfocused mismash of things and it just ends up seeming confusing.

You need to make your resume tell a clear and concise story to someone who has never seen it before in under 30 seconds. The impression the story should leave is "could be a good fit" or "it'd be risky to pass on this good candidate" for whatever job you applied for.

Here's the challenges yours has IMO:
-Its too long, too "noisy" content wise
-The story is confusing work history wise. You dont need to break the Navy into "Additional experience." This really hurts you IMO. Make it crystal clear when you were in. Include months with your years.
-The only point of your bartender bits should be to prove that youre reliable, competent, easy to work with, etc. The "social risks" of hiring. Anything that doesnt "show, dont tell" for those points, remove and you'll lose about 50% of the text there. (Good). That said, if someone consolidated all jobs they worked for 15 years I'd assume they got fired every 6 months and theres a ton of 2-3 month gaps between 6-12 month stints of employment, instantly trash a resume like that. You need to spell out your job history. You fail to mitigate this critical "is competent" hiring risk.
-Your navy experience is filled with jargon and words that read like puffery. Its not clear how your areas of expertise relate to your work history because of this.

Areas of expertise when you're gonna be rather entry level for some jobs is very suspect...just combine into skills section and completely remove from the top of your resume. Also remove some of them...you're an expert in malware detection? Like you write novel heuristics to identify potential malware? Wheres your published papers? Or are you an expert in installing Norton AntiVirus? But youre also an expert in customer service? What?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got reached out to by a recruiter on Linkedin. We spoke today on the phone. It's an industry job at a cemetery. 8-4 M-F, in office M-Tr, at home Friday. They're looking for 85k to 95k. The job sounded nice. I wasn't sure what to say to the recruiter for my salary. The job is in my town. I was trying to avoid the urge to say 85k. I ultimately said 90k
Worried that I asked for too much. I hope it all goes well. If I get it, it's a 50% raise. I guess I can always negotiate down. I told about you guys, saying you were a hiring manger who helped me on my resume. Asked her thoughts on it. She understood what I meant when I said my resume was too flowerly before. Said something about tends changing. Said it looked fine. Really nervous. Thanks for the help everyone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The next thread you read should be this one.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

So I applied for, some time ago, a "young professionals" program that's an entry track into jobs at a large organization. As part of the process I had a formal interview, everyone on both sides in business dress (I'm a lawyer if it matters). I was accepted into the roster of candidates to be placed in positions with the org as they open up.

Well some positions are open, and I now have an "informal," their words, teams call with a team I'd potentially get an invite to join tomorrow afternoon. And have NO idea what to wear/how to dress. Thoughts, hive mind?

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Would say a collared shirt with the top button undone, no tie.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Would say a collared shirt with the top button undone, no tie.

I'd add a sport coat to this. If it were me, I'd wear the tie, especially if the other people on the call are in office.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Okay I'm in my first job out of school, looking to make a change. I'm doing engineering and project management at a small engineering firm now, and am looking at a project engineer/management job at a huge multinational mineral/mining company. My brother, also an engineer, wants to put my resume in the hands of the hiring manager. I have some mining experience which is good. I have eliminated all my school experience as well as an internship at a company in an unrelated industry. I found a couple of job descriptions for other similar job postings for the same company and used those to help inform my resume. If these postings don't work out I'll tailor this to something else.

I had a hell of a time putting this together. It feels like I've done a million different things and it's hard for me to classify everything. I do much better in an interview setting where I can be affable and charming. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: sorry the image sucks my laptop is garbage and I've had a couple of beers so :shrug:

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 21, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Target Practice posted:

Okay I'm in my first job out of school, looking to make a change. I'm doing engineering and project management at a small engineering firm now, and am looking at a project engineer/management job at a huge multinational mineral/mining company. My brother, also an engineer, wants to put my resume in the hands of the hiring manager. I have some mining experience which is good. I have eliminated all my school experience as well as an internship at a company in an unrelated industry. I found a couple of job descriptions for other similar job postings for the same company and used those to help inform my resume. If these postings don't work out I'll tailor this to something else.

I had a hell of a time putting this together. It feels like I've done a million different things and it's hard for me to classify everything. I do much better in an interview setting where I can be affable and charming. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: sorry the image sucks my laptop is garbage and I've had a couple of beers so :shrug:

I can't go into detail right now, but I can say what I always say: universalize the tense of your action verbs. If they're past tense, make them all past tense. In your 2014 position you have some in present tense (Develop, Manage). I also like to avoid repeating action words, at least within the same section, if possible. Just don't get too deep into the vocab words, since it will be HR drones that are reading this.

And don't forget what the OP says:

Bisty Q. posted:

[*] The one weird old tip that your doctor hates, discovered by a mom that will set you apart from anybody else: your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience. You need to sell, sell, sell how you stood out in every single job.

If you can think of accomplishments, list them.

Also, is that 4 year gap due to going to school? I wonder if having your resume ordered chronologically might make it look better, but I don't honestly know one way or the other.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Ugh the verb thing is I something thst I was trying to look out for, thank you!

My school/work history is problematic. The very short version is I graduated HS in 2003, and it took 15 years to get my BS. I had a learning disability diagnosis at 25 after getting kicked out of school for grades. I eventually figured things out, got meds, and got reinstated, but going to school and work was impossible for most of it.

That internship was right at the start of my engineering class work after getting things straightened out, but due to my getting kicked out I wasn't allowed to matriculate for a few years, which is why 2 years worth of school took between 2014-2018. Like I said I had a short internship from Januaryish 2018 to around May at a small manufacturing company (5 employees) that I omitted to keep my resume at one page. I also worked in student housing for a year-ish in there prior to 2014.

Speaking of school, I am very self-conscious about how my poo poo looks on a resume. I know they can't outright ask, but I'm 37 and only 4 years out of school. Both my parents went back after having kids but my wife and I don't have that as a reason. I worked extremely hard to get where I am but laid out on paper it seems super embarrassing. I don't know how to turn what is really my greatest accomplishment into anything positive. To me it seems I just look like a huge liability.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Target Practice posted:

Okay I'm in my first job out of school, looking to make a change.

You are spending wayyy too much real estate explaining what an engineer job is, the person you are sending this to already knows what it is. Focus on accomplishments. You have a couple good ones in the PM stuff, but even that has some fluff.

I also have no idea what job you want next or what you think you're good at. There is no narrative on this, which can be hard for someone early in their career, but you should try to get something.

I think you're light on skills too. I don't hire in the engineering space so I am not sure if this is a problem, but I'd expect some more concrete stuff.

Some advice, nothing is gospel here but some ideas to get you going:

1. Reduce the bullet points in the engineering job and try to come up with accomplishments. Don't restate a job posting. What did you do that was good?

2. Reduce the PM stuff to 4-5 bullet points, focusing on stuff you did, not job description.

3. Frequently we say don't do this, but a couple line intro/mission statement/who I am on the top might help. Maybe, maybe not, I've seen it work well in similar resumes though to help set the tone of the narrative. It shouldn't be more like a few sentence and only 2-3 lines on the page.

4. I'd consider adding back in the internship, that would have been 2017-2018? It doesn't need to be more than a couple lines, but if you worked on a cool project even if it's in a different industry it can help you stand out. You're probably right not having the school experience unless it was something really cool.

5. I feel like this is a very "wall-of-text" resume. In software I sorta hate these because I'm looking for a handful of specific things, this might be more palatable in engineering. For people earlier in their career I like a resume template like this one:
https://www.beamjobs.com/resumes/mechanical-engineer-resume-examples#mechanical-engineer

It makes it easier to pull out the important stuff and prevents you from just writing out a job description like you did. Again, this may not be the best fit for you, but it's worth thinking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Target Practice posted:

Ugh the verb thing is I something thst I was trying to look out for, thank you!

My school/work history is problematic. The very short version is I graduated HS in 2003, and it took 15 years to get my BS. I had a learning disability diagnosis at 25 after getting kicked out of school for grades. I eventually figured things out, got meds, and got reinstated, but going to school and work was impossible for most of it.

That internship was right at the start of my engineering class work after getting things straightened out, but due to my getting kicked out I wasn't allowed to matriculate for a few years, which is why 2 years worth of school took between 2014-2018. Like I said I had a short internship from Januaryish 2018 to around May at a small manufacturing company (5 employees) that I omitted to keep my resume at one page. I also worked in student housing for a year-ish in there prior to 2014.

Speaking of school, I am very self-conscious about how my poo poo looks on a resume. I know they can't outright ask, but I'm 37 and only 4 years out of school. Both my parents went back after having kids but my wife and I don't have that as a reason. I worked extremely hard to get where I am but laid out on paper it seems super embarrassing. I don't know how to turn what is really my greatest accomplishment into anything positive. To me it seems I just look like a huge liability.

I actually also went back to school later in life. For me it was a bit easier because I simply never include anything older than my second college stint on my resume. It's on my Linkedin if people care about my bullshit white collar drone jobs. Maybe you could just skip the cement plant in rear end in a top hat, CA and just include that most recent job with as dynamite of a description as you can muster. That conceals the question of any so-called 'gaps' and also does not include any age indicators. Just call it your "Recent Work Experience" and elaborate honestly if they ask for more.

Also, if they are going to discriminate you based on your age, gently caress 'em. Someone out there won't.

Are people still using VBA/ Excel Macros?