Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

"A Game of Drones" was right there for a title, but perhaps too close to a protected property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine an instruction manual for a weapon crew is something the CIA already has

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tanker brain rules

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
leaking state secrets to own my posting enemies

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

god i love what that game does to its players

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

razorscooter posted:

god i love what that game does to its players

the normal people hang out in BR 3.0 or under

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dont tankers get enough tanking in 9-5?
is this like german farmer gamer meme?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Griz posted:

it'll suck and get rejected after a decade of failed trials, just like every other attempt to make a new supergun

Next, NeXT, N.E.X.T. Gen Advanced Warfighter Rifle Progam.final.FINAL.Final2.USETHISONE

Though Wikipedia tells me this program was “only” 5 years. Maybe someone wants to move the grift beyond small prototype production runs.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Danann posted:

The new XM5 rifle apparently weighs 5kg fully loaded and is supposed to replace the in service m16/m4 rifles while being incompatible with the current service round (5.56mm). Someone at SIG won a contract for the history books dang.

According to a gun nerds I know it's also by far the least impressive of the three competing designs and only won the contract because it's manual of arms is so similar to ar15s and because the other two designs looked goofy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mrs. Dash posted:

According to a gun nerds I know it's also by far the least impressive of the three competing designs and only won the contract because it's manual of arms is so similar to ar15s and because the other two designs looked goofy

Admittedly, since the 1990s, the US Army has gone though a lot of boondoggles, so it really isn’t a surprise. That said, they put themselves in a weird position since 1. body armor is actually becoming more common even in light intensity situations, and 2, 6.8 Fury and the XM5 really don’t seem up to snuff besides some specialty use by special forces.

The usual course of action would just stick with the M4 and 5.56, but that isn’t going to solve the armor issue. It doesn’t help that the XM5 is suppose to be run with a suppressor (is that really needed for a general purpose rifle?) which would only add more weight to an already heavy rifle.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lmao america can't even make guns anymore.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Top Gun Reference posted:

leaking state secrets to own my posting enemies

it rules

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Southpaugh posted:

well, it most certainly can, as demonstrated by *waves hand at piles of dead schoolchildren*

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sorry i meant guns that are like good and for the future and capable of mass production all those good cheap old designs don't count.

and hey, its not just schoolchildren who are murdered en masse in america its the working class and even some middle class people too

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Southpaugh posted:

Grifting is easier when you don’t actually have to deliver anything.

Russian commanders sell equipment out from under themselves, American commanders are more patient and go work for the arms dealers directly after they leave the military. The best system in the world baybee

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
At this point, it does seem like the M5 is moving forward, hell even YouTubers are getting in on the action with semi-promotional videos.

That said, another thing that isn't really mentioned with the rifle. It is that it is controllable...if it has its suppressor on, which adds another 1.5 pounds to the rifle that in turn brings it up to 10 pounds and makes it a literal "spear". If you take the suppressor off, not only does recoil come back but it unbalances the gun because its receiver is so heavy and its front half is so light (also it doesn't really have a muzzle break so it very clearly going to climb). Also, yeah, the ammo is considerably heavier and it only takes a 20-round mag.

Basically, it is theoretically it could be a fine gun for a shooting range (and probably why the civilian market may like it) since it the right circumstances it can hit accurately hit targets at considerably long ranges because of its velocity, however, it is unclear exactly how many people got payouts to make it a general rifle. The US (in this case Germany) can make a rifle, they just don't seem to be able to make a practical one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTZRCEh1Czg

Gun Jesus did a video on the XM5 / SIG SPEAR

there's a couple of interesting points I picked up on:

- the current order is for 120,000 of these rifles, supposedly enough to arm all of the "front-line" troops (however that's defined), with the rest of everyone still needing a gun to continue using the M4

- the intent is for all of these rifles to use a suppressor, all the time. There's supposedly a tactical use for this as far as making the battlefield less noisy so that verbal commands can be more easily heard, but apparently it's also the case that the US military has been sued by veterans for a lack of ear protection resulting in hearing loss and this is part of their attempts to address that

- the suppressors themselves are 3D-printed. Supposedly this allows them to be of a special design that wouldn't be possible through other more traditional manufacturing methods, but that doesn't really sound very reassuring as far as the ability to produce lots and lots of these guns

- for training and civilian applications, the gun is going to use "training ammo" that's purely brass ergo cheaper to make and less stressful on the gun, but travels at a slower velocity, but that's considered just fine since it's either for training or not for military use anyway. The expectation is supposedly that once the gun is used in a live-fire scenario, then the steel-base "real" ammo will be used and that's going to stress the gun more, but that's okay because in a live-fire scenario the gun is expected to break because of any other combat-related reason anyway. I'm not really sure I buy this concept because although this sounds like the Soviets designing a tank that doesn't need an engine that can do 100k in mileage, it worked for them because the T-34s were mass-produced.

Overall it seems like the gun is just fine as far as guns are concerned, but in the spirit of this thread there's still the originally mentioned problem that this represents a move towards less standardization, and while I'm just a simple country shitposter I'm not convinced the production run is going to be enough

Anyway I wonder when we'll see the first mass shooting that uses [the civilian version of] this

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyway I wonder when we'll see the first mass shooting that uses [the civilian version of] this

glad to see defense spending return to having civilian applications

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

bout 10 months

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTZRCEh1Czg

Gun Jesus did a video on the XM5 / SIG SPEAR

there's a couple of interesting points I picked up on:

- the current order is for 120,000 of these rifles, supposedly enough to arm all of the "front-line" troops (however that's defined), with the rest of everyone still needing a gun to continue using the M4

- the intent is for all of these rifles to use a suppressor, all the time. There's supposedly a tactical use for this as far as making the battlefield less noisy so that verbal commands can be more easily heard, but apparently it's also the case that the US military has been sued by veterans for a lack of ear protection resulting in hearing loss and this is part of their attempts to address that

- the suppressors themselves are 3D-printed. Supposedly this allows them to be of a special design that wouldn't be possible through other more traditional manufacturing methods, but that doesn't really sound very reassuring as far as the ability to produce lots and lots of these guns

- for training and civilian applications, the gun is going to use "training ammo" that's purely brass ergo cheaper to make and less stressful on the gun, but travels at a slower velocity, but that's considered just fine since it's either for training or not for military use anyway. The expectation is supposedly that once the gun is used in a live-fire scenario, then the steel-base "real" ammo will be used and that's going to stress the gun more, but that's okay because in a live-fire scenario the gun is expected to break because of any other combat-related reason anyway. I'm not really sure I buy this concept because although this sounds like the Soviets designing a tank that doesn't need an engine that can do 100k in mileage, it worked for them because the T-34s were mass-produced.

Overall it seems like the gun is just fine as far as guns are concerned, but in the spirit of this thread there's still the originally mentioned problem that this represents a move towards less standardization, and while I'm just a simple country shitposter I'm not convinced the production run is going to be enough

it seems overly complex and somewhat disappointingly unambitious at the same time

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://youtu.be/GEf3ZlUkOCg

this guy’s military and his take largely boils down to good rifle on its own, probably not the best idea for mass adoption

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Jun 4, 2022

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
regarding the title

good

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Сolonelcassad posted:

Practical combat application of T-80BVM tanks in Ukraine.

- Question about the mobility of the vehicle: are the GTEs "hell for the supply side" or a proper thing? Are they reliable enough? Problems on the march with fuel? Smoothness, bumpiness, usability compared to diesels. What are the main disadvantages of the T-80 BVM?

- It all depends on what role the tank group plays. As practice has shown, the speed of the "box" directly affects its survivability. If the same specimens in the form of T-72B and T-72B3 during battles in urban areas had very impressive losses, the group "80s" lost only one tank in 3 months of operation.
Of course, serving mixed groups is hell for support, but there is no need for it either. In the later stages of the operation the vehicles were used for completely different tasks. There were no complaints about the reliability of the vehicles, they endured more than they were supposed to. Movement on the T-80 BVM is much quieter and smoother, which made it possible to conduct lightning attacks.The main drawback of the machine is an outdated thermal imaging sight on which any hill looked noisy, and a large consumption of fuel.

- Observation. Did you perform any tasks at night? How does the commander conduct surveillance at night? How did the sighting equipment perform? At what ranges was it possible to detect the enemy on average?

- The execution of missions at night by armored units is effective only when operating from closed positions. Ideally, if a tank group advances into an assault, it is better to do so at 2 or 3 in the morning and reach the point of engagement by dusk. Sighting equipment is obsolete, to be replaced. But at the stage of fighting the tanks of the USSR, though modernized, it is not critical. Thanks to the infantry and the well-coordinated work of "Akhmat", we always knew where the enemy was and how to move.

- General situational awareness. Communication. Communication in combat with an infantry unit? Were automated control systems used (along the lines of TZ's ECU), or was everything done through radio communication only?

-No comment about communications.

- Were there tank duels? Or do tanks avoid fighting eachother? Is there a problem with defeating enemy tanks? How do you rate the T-80 BVM's resistance to modern anti-tank weapons? What is the skill of the enemy?

- Tank duels in this theater are very much in demand from our side, and we are trying to force them. Our superiority in reverse speed and the ability to flank the enemy lets us never lose these duels at all. And since Ukrainian tanks are packed to the brim with ammunition, we don't need more than one hit.
As for the resistance to domestic - a solid 5. It's more complicated with the Western ones, as we didn't give them a chance to work on us. But, as it seems to me, tandem shells could be a problem for us, but there is always a good old cage for that.Fortunately for us in Ukraine tankers are used up, most of the experienced commanders and gunners were knocked out as a result of hostilities in the 14-15s.

- And one last question. How did the additional fabric screens prove themselves?

- There are no more of them on our vehicle at the moment. But, apparently, we were hit with something during the cleanup of the "Z" settlement, and they saved us. It works.

In detail at the link. https://telegra.ph/Nemnogo-o-T-80BVM-06-03
(from t.me/boris_rozhin/52131, via tgsa)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i like the idea the killer feature of the t-80 bvm is how fast it can drive backwards :rice:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as i recall a pretty common tank tactic on the defense is to just drive in reverse and then stop to fire at regular intervals. apparently works extremely well, especially if your guns outrange those of the opponent

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

as i recall a pretty common tank tactic on the defense is to just drive in reverse and then stop to fire at regular intervals. apparently works extremely well, especially if your guns outrange those of the opponent

I'm pretty sure the British and the Swedes have both experimented with tank destroyers that are just firing backwards precisely for this purpose

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

3D printing 120,000 suppressors to avoid a class action in 15 years sounds like a b-plot in a West Wing episode

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
thread title is wrong. one green beret socom all american super soldier is going to beat back the asiatic hordes single-handily by dualwielding two suppressed XM5s

edit: ok, so not specifically single-handedly, because dual-wielding, but you know

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Atrocious Joe posted:

3D printing 120,000 suppressors to avoid a class action in 15 years sounds like a b-plot in a West Wing episode

excited to hear about large numbers of them exploding from defects due to lack of QC

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

what can possibly go wrong with reusing suppressors

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/urcommunistdad/status/1533608231599149057

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheeee posted:

https://youtu.be/GEf3ZlUkOCg

this guy’s military and his take largely boils down to good rifle on its own, probably not the best idea for mass adoption

lol

love 2 mass adopt the gun that needs a 3D printed suppressor and special hand-crafted training ammo that won't break the gun as fast :lmao:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
A conventionally constructed suppressor still needs to be machined. Depending on the process and materials, you can print a suppressor that needs almost no machining (chasing the threads pretty much, while leaving all surfaces as produced) and you can create something that is literally impossible to make with reductive machining techniques.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Lostconfused posted:

Constellation? That's a Star Trek rear end name right there.

yea I can't believe they named an entire class of aircraft carriers after Star Trek's Enterprise too

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

500excf type r posted:

A conventionally constructed suppressor still needs to be machined. Depending on the process and materials, you can print a suppressor that needs almost no machining (chasing the threads pretty much, while leaving all surfaces as produced) and you can create something that is literally impossible to make with reductive machining techniques.

that sounds dumb finicky and expensive

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Fly Molo posted:

that sounds dumb finicky and expensive
Every component of a conventionally produced suppressor needs to be formed, forged, and/or machined. A printed object could potentially require no or close to zero machining, especially in comparison. The largest cost difference is probably the fact that additive machining doesn't require active participation from a skilled machinist to remove material and develop the commodity.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For what it's worth I respect the idea that additive manufacturing lets you create a suppressor (among other things) that couldn't possibly be crafted any other way

My criticism is more that I'm not convinced the speed of production is really worth it

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Why do our troops even need suppressors? I usually go scope/auto loader/expanded magazine for everyone but snipers and overwatchers.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sullat posted:

Why do our troops even need suppressors? I usually go scope/auto loader/expanded magazine for everyone but snipers and overwatchers.

yeah in your videogame no veterans sue the makers of ear protection for inadequate products and there's no VA required to buy hearing aids for all those chump veterans who don't even shoot bad guys no more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

all I did was basic and my hearing is hosed