Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For xcomlikes I like the model that makes it so that shots always hit but damage is reduced based on cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Khanstant posted:

amen. missing isn't fun, gambling is annoying, and you have a way to mitigate both of those bummers

Nah I don't give a poo poo about missing, I care about losing 2 squad members and then another 1 gets knocked unconscious and then I'm left to try and finish the mission with snipers/rookies

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Warhammer Forty Thousand Chaos Gate Daemon Hunter Long Name mechanic. You got line of sight, you got a hit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

The Warhammer Forty Thousand Chaos Gate Daemon Hunter Long Name mechanic. You got line of sight, you got a hit.

oh, the Mario + Rabbids system

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

For xcomlikes I like the model that makes it so that shots always hit but damage is reduced based on cover

Yeah, this is the ideal for tactics games imho, make every attack always hit but just have static damage negation based on terrain or how dodge tanky you are or whatever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Without RNG it feels too much like a puzzle game to me with always-correct answers. It might remove the feelbads of missing a 92% shot but you also eliminate the thrill of a lucky dodge or critting with a low-percentage attack which was your only option in bad circumstances

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
adapting when despite your best efforts something outside your control has put you in a bad spot is also fun in strategy and tactics games.

in conclusion, blood bowl rules

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Nah I don't give a poo poo about missing, I care about losing 2 squad members and then another 1 gets knocked unconscious and then I'm left to try and finish the mission with snipers/rookies

uhh yeah me too, that's why i don't miss. nobody getting killed if enemies getting eliminated quickly and perfectly

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Without RNG it feels too much like a puzzle game to me with always-correct answers. It might remove the feelbads of missing a 92% shot but you also eliminate the thrill of a lucky dodge or critting with a low-percentage attack which was your only option in bad circumstances

That’s a good point, there’s stuff like Advanced Wars that can end up feeling like chess puzzles to me. In fact Ive changed my mind, the xcom way is the most fun/memorable. Scrambling because what seemed like a sure thing turned to be a massive gently caress-up is very exhilarating to me (in small doses)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

loving Clive man lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
chess puzzles is a good way to frame it, that's what i want. chess versus playing risk. risk is the only time in my life where i wanted to throw dice to break them. the xbox version of risk was also the only thing in college that caused fights in our friend group, we had to uninstall it eventually, constantly betraying one another took its toll

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh a new update dropped for Horizon Forbidden West, neato

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Oh a new update dropped for Horizon Forbidden West, neato

Adds new game+ and a bunch of optimizations for ps5!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/SkysingerTahla/status/1532495657436475392?s=20&t=uap_kBsOCiXbcAY4qRFvxQ

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSKOzNxdNno

no really what am i doing with my life

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Violen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSKOzNxdNno

no really what am i doing with my life

Downloading the SM practice rom is a cry for help imo

Do you need to talk?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Actually what are doing? Why is that video 17 minutes long?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apparently there's new Midnight Suns info and they reckon Spider-Man and Scarlet Witch are two of the unannounced characters

https://twitter.com/NilsAhrDE/status/1532510438532993024

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Actually what are doing? Why is that video 17 minutes long?

if you can find me a surefire way to fight botwoon at low ammo/health suitless that isn't 17 minutes long i am begging you to save me

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
(i'm very far down the randomizer rabbit hole is what i'm doing)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Violen posted:

(i'm very far down the randomizer rabbit hole is what i'm doing)

It's even worse than I thought

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Apparently there's new Midnight Suns info and they reckon Spider-Man and Scarlet Witch are two of the unannounced characters

Morbius or riot

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What you should do is set super metroid randomizer aside and try out soul blazer randomizer >:]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

What you should do is set super metroid randomizer aside and try out soul blazer randomizer >:]

This game is on my list of retro games to play this year for the first time ever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chairchucker posted:

That doesn't make sense, it's on the Xbox. Spider-Man can't be on the Xbox.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stay safe video games thread and try and remember not to get tricked into participating in the dumbest loving conversation in history on these here forums

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nintendo > Sega

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaius Marius posted:

Stay safe video games thread and try and remember not to get tricked into participating in the dumbest loving conversation in history on these here forums

I don't see why this thread would cross over with the Formula One thread

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like I've heard of the F1 thread being a trashfire but I've never got why, it's just car go fast. how can there be controversy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Nintendo > Sega

SEGA simply has better games, can't play Comix Zone on SNES that's for sure

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Am I missing something here or is this really just a 20 second video of a png of a game title? :confused:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Am I missing something here or is this really just a 20 second video of a png of a game title? :confused:

Yeah that is it, EA tends to have their own presentation in the summer, so we'll get more info then.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K00DCK1l98

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VkA07vvjY8
Someone explain why Youtube recc'd me a video with 20 views from an account I never heard of

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Missing on a 95% chance shot is the defining XCOM experience. If you strip that away you're not playing XCOM

I said come in! posted:

Yeah that is it, EA tends to have their own presentation in the summer, so we'll get more info then.

EA's presentation got cancelled this year cause they're too busy trying to get bought out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rarity posted:

EA's presentation got cancelled this year cause they're too busy trying to get bought out

lol whoops. I wonder who will end up buying them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This looks like the type of lovely-rear end video entrance WWE would make for some D-List celebrity or comedy gimmick one-off wrestler or something :laugh:

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Critical Mass, Proving Grounds and Chain Reaction all sound like pay per view events, and in this case it looks like Duke Nukem was planning on being at all three of them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They're called Premium Live Events now

e: Or papes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It looks like the type of video a guy who ascended from making bowling alley computer graphics would put forward as his doctoral thesis.