Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

There's also a distinction between laying down and pretending to be a regular skeleton and turning into a pile of unconnected bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like the implication that a non-feat-having skeleton lying down and pretending to be inanimate has to make a roll and can fail it. What are the tells here? They can't exactly get caught breathing or get an itchy nose or something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antivehicular posted:

I like the implication that a non-feat-having skeleton lying down and pretending to be inanimate has to make a roll and can fail it. What are the tells here? They can't exactly get caught breathing or get an itchy nose or something.

You can clearly detect them with a mouse-over.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Uncontrollable giggling.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Lazy rib.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The pathfinder 2e magus has "heavily armored 2 handed warrior" "lightly armored unarmed fighter" "Sword and Shield and by Shield we mean your heavily reinforced spellbook actually" "Bow and arrow" and "Weirdly hosed up magic staff" built in from the start.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean it makes sense considering presumably an animated skeleton has something holding their body together in lieu of like, flesh and sinew and such. Not every one necessarily can turn that off and on at will.

Can you hit people with your heavily reinforced spellbook?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Pathfinder 2e makes it explicitly clear that NPCs can do whatever the GM thinks is interesting, skeletons in general don't need the feat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it makes sense considering presumably an animated skeleton has something holding their body together in lieu of like, flesh and sinew and such. Not every one necessarily can turn that off and on at will.

Can you hit people with your heavily reinforced spellbook?

Sort of, there's a feat that lets you fuse your spellbook and shield together, which turns your shield into a bookmark within your spellbook, and from that point on you can just treat your spellbook as a shield. So you could use it to shield bash.

Prior to that you can just get a special action that lets you "raise your tome" in any situation where you'd normally be allowed to "raise a shield".

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My introduction to tabletop gaming was a group that was Pathfinder only, anti DnD 4, and even more anti-DnD 5 when it came out. And anti-2.0 when it came out. Although very pro Starfinder.

I think the identity thing mentioned in the above post was some of it, although it wasn't necessarily talk of systems where the loyalty to was, at least early a few people in the group said it was because pathfinder was a more welcoming space to queer and non-white individuals (which is what this group often mostly made up of depending on the time). I don't know poo poo about D&D before 5E and have only been in one other in-person gaming group, so I can't say poo poo on this but just thought I'd throw that out there since it was less grog related, as only one of the regulars was a power gamer and most of us were content with giving her that spotlight).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rick posted:

My introduction to tabletop gaming was a group that was Pathfinder only, anti DnD 4, and even more anti-DnD 5 when it came out. And anti-2.0 when it came out. Although very pro Starfinder.

I think the identity thing mentioned in the above post was some of it, although it wasn't necessarily talk of systems where the loyalty to was, at least early a few people in the group said it was because pathfinder was a more welcoming space to queer and non-white individuals (which is what this group often mostly made up of depending on the time). I don't know poo poo about D&D before 5E and have only been in one other in-person gaming group, so I can't say poo poo on this but just thought I'd throw that out there since it was less grog related, as only one of the regulars was a power gamer and most of us were content with giving her that spotlight).

I don't know if I'd say Pathfinder is more "open" to queer and non-white people. It did introduce queer and non-white iconic characters as a form of representation, which was good. I think Pathfinder/Paizo did like to ride on that reputation while not really being that great behind the scenes, but it's not any different than D&D/Wizards of the Cost in that way.

Mentioning this now though, I'm honestly surprised 5e didn't bring back the concept of iconic characters for each class actually. Magic already basically does the same thing with Planeswalker characters and it lets them put a lot of interesting people in promotional material.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rick posted:

You aren't painting your group in a good light and the "inclusivity" narrative falls flat when you mention that they pooped on 2.0.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
There's definitely a period during Pathfinder 1e where I would say Paizo was better at representation than D&D. Partially because D&D 4e had no characters period because they didn't do many adventures, partially because Paizo grew past their early "don't ask us about iconics' sexuality, we aren't getting into that drama" impulses and started including some good representation in their adventure paths. It probably helped that it felt like after a point Erik Mona was the only writer still invested in Golarion having a bunch of annoyingly direct pastiches of real life locations.

Personally Paizo lost me late in 1e, after the Shifter iconic was asexual and her introductory fiction was really ham-handed about it. It just made it feel like they were only doing representation in order to check off a box. (This was also when they were running out of new content to make in the first place, as previously discussed, so it wasn't exactly hard to stop caring.) Now that it's a few years later and we're pretty deep into 2e, I feel like I can say that Paizo as a company probably isn't into diversity for the right reasons, but they know which way the wind is blowing and the people actually writing the books are invested in putting a lot of earnest representation in these books.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antivehicular posted:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1359253035709583362

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

MadScientistWorking posted:

No that's just a poor misunderstanding of the rules on your part. You can use deception to pretend to be a skeleton without that feat. It just removes the randomness of the d20 roll because its the equivalent of taking 10.

It's even more than that, taking the feat means enemies/NPCs have to be actively looking for you with Seek or Recall Knowledge actions to figure you out. In a lot of situations its an automatic success.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was going to make a comment about "it'd make sense if you have to conceal the eldritch runes inscribed on your bones or your glowing eyes or whatever," but now I'm just imagining that every skeleton manifests their thoughts as floating glowing letters around them, because "you are a dasharez0ne meme all the time and have to suppress it if you're trying to hide" is too good.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Honestly the strangest bit is that they are an “ancestry” with “heritages” so skeletons are born to skeleton parents in skeleton families and have traits passed down their line of skeletons

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hyphz posted:

Honestly the strangest bit is that they are an “ancestry” with “heritages” so skeletons are born to skeleton parents in skeleton families and have traits passed down their line of skeletons
Oh, so Pathfinder 2 is Undertale.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Antivehicular posted:

An anxious rattling of bones?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Antivehicular posted:

You know when you're wandering through a place in Elden Ring and you look at the piles of bones and think 'those skeletons are absolutely going to get up and attack me in a moment'? I figure it's a lot like that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

hyphz posted:

That's just the terminology that Pathfinder has settled on for "Races" and "Subraces". It's less "You are descended from a long line of bestial skeletons" and more "Your necromancer used a bunch of bear bones when they were putting you back together." or "Your source material was a halfling so you're smol."

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of Pathfinder 2e, but "they make you choose between what's flavorful and cool and what's actually mechanically good" isn't one of them. Racial feats, skill feats, general feats, and class feats are all silo'd off into their own progression trees. You don't have to choose between Rad Skeleton poo poo and major class features, you get to pick which Rad Skeleton poo poo you want.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Froghammer posted:

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of Pathfinder 2e, but "they make you choose between what's flavorful and cool and what's actually mechanically good" isn't one of them. Racial feats, skill feats, general feats, and class feats are all silo'd off into their own progression trees. You don't have to choose between Rad Skeleton poo poo and major class features, you get to pick which Rad Skeleton poo poo you want.

This is my favorite thing about Pathfinder 2e. I don't love it overall, but I appreciate the effort they put into letting people just keep being the cool thing. It does interfere with mechanical optimization, but that is more feature than bug.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
It's not perfect by any means--sometimes the gap between "what is useful" and "what is flavorful" in the same category is pretty huge (looking at you, skill feats)--but it's way better than its predecessor in that regard.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mentioning this now though, I'm honestly surprised 5e didn't bring back the concept of iconic characters for each class actually. Magic already basically does the same thing with Planeswalker characters and it lets them put a lot of interesting people in promotional material.

Well, they decided to make their "iconic" characters Elminister, Tasha, Mordenkainen, Fizban, Volo... basically, if you're an old, white wizard, you can be proud that you're finally getting the representation that's been missing for all these years.

I guess there's Xanathar too, for all of you floating orbs out there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alien Rope Burn posted:

:orb:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Bring back Redgar, just to have him relentlessly clowned on again.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Antivehicular posted:

They're drawn differently from the background like an old hanna barbera cartoon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MarsPearl posted:

They're drawn differently from the background like an old hanna barbera cartoon.

Look out, they're on an animation cel!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Improbable Lobster posted:

Look out, they're on an animation cel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6xPGDkWNHo

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, they decided to make their "iconic" characters Elminister, Tasha, Mordenkainen, Fizban, Volo... basically, if you're an old, white wizard, you can be proud that you're finally getting the representation that's been missing for all these years.

You're forgetting old white vampires like Strahd.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Libertad! posted:

Good point, but we all know he casts spells. And they ain’t druid spells.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MarsPearl posted:

Heck, it might look like that if skeleton adventurer has been taking care of his bones and they're all clean and white and not dusty and cobwebbed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heck, it might look like that if skeleton adventurer has been taking care of his bones and they're all clean and white and not dusty and cobwebbed.
Bard: what are you guys up to?
Skeleton: polishing my bones
Wizard: buffing my staff
Druid: tending the lily
Barbarian: would you guys shut up I'm trying to wank

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Libertad! posted:

He ain't white, honey. He dead.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Old wight guy.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Strahd is a man of privilege and power who uses his position to exploit and abuse others without consequence and to relentlessly pursue young, vulnerable women.

He’s the most accurate portrayal of an old white guy yet.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Can we please stop talking about Paizo for a second?

Okay, time for more Paizo.

https://twitter.com/paizo/status/1532858479181979648?t=MqMpT_iMq2nIqkVqRXpd0g&s=19

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you're running a con just put out a preemptive statement that everyone attending will be be exposed to covid, just to get it out of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
CoughCon