Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

landgrabber posted:

the point i was trying to make is that you could probably get a metal sound out of like, a les paul and a JCM800

This is literally a standard metal sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Fret buzz on my electric is pretty bad When plugged in I don't hear it, but unplugged it's noticable. The guitar itself cost me less than $50. It's the lowest level Yamaha, that would normally come in a practice pack with an amp. There's a big crack in the neck. I should prob upgrade. Lol.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hellblazer187 posted:

Fret buzz on my electric is pretty bad When plugged in I don't hear it, but unplugged it's noticable. The guitar itself cost me less than $50. It's the lowest level Yamaha, that would normally come in a practice pack with an amp. There's a big crack in the neck. I should prob upgrade. Lol.

get a cheap capo or make one out of a rubber band and a pencil it doesnt matter. capo the first fret.

then fret the last fret on a few strings. low E, D or G (your choice, maybe both) and the high E, on the highest fret. your strings are now straightedges that will let you measure neck relief.

you should be able to slip a business card in between the string and fret around the 8th fret, and there shouldnt be a big change in gaps between the low e, d/g, and high e.

this exercise takes bridge height out of the equation and just measures neck bow. if you can slip 3 cards between the high e but only 1 between the low e, your neck is warped. it could be dumpster time if its a cheap guitar.

if there isnt enough gap, but they seem to be hosed up equally across all the strings, you may need to do a truss rod adjustment to get proper relief.

this test checks both for neck relief and warp. you want to see roughly the same relief ("how much the neck is curved") across all strings. it should be equal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Finished my Harley Benton Jazzmaster kit;

Here's the body before assembly so you can see the colour better:

Was fun, but I did have some issues;

• Rubber inserts to go under the pickups not supplied
  • Pre-drilled holes for pickguard misaligned
  • Had to guess which cable to plug each pickup to
  • Didn't mention the neck and bridge pickups were different which could trip up some

I think I also need to make some intonation adjustments to the bridge saddles, but I can't seem to make much difference to the tone at the twelfth fret that way.

I think I'll do another when I've got an idea of what I want, but I won't be voting a headstock again.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That Jazzmaster is cool, and I’m digging the headstock. I have yet to build a kit guitar due to laziness, so you’re killing it as far as I’m concerned. You got one to play too, or will this be your player?

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 3, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was fun, but I did have some issues;

• Rubber inserts to go under the pickups not supplied
  • Pre-drilled holes for pickguard misaligned
  • Had to guess which cable to plug each pickup to
  • Didn't mention the neck and bridge pickups were different which could trip up some

I think I also need to make some intonation adjustments to the bridge saddles, but I can't seem to make much difference to the tone at the twelfth fret that way.

I think I'll do another when I've got an idea of what I want, but I won't be voting a headstock again.

That looks pretty nice. How well do the necks fit? That would be my major concern with one of those kits.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

interesting, yeah. i could go either way, playing it all 3 times or waiting until the final crescendo. i'm leaning toward the latter. it has a nice effect coming in after the vocals and leading back into the verse

still thinking about that song, and i think the G# is helping it to stick in my head, so maybe it's actually good and right?

whats your 2 week songwriting workshop like?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I've been very piano-y lately, but I'm aiming to get back into open mics at my local cafe and their piano sucks balls so I'm back into the guitar practice. So, hey everyone, and please hold me parasocially accountable for learning songs

If it's with me, i dont want it to ever be parasocial -- i'd rather we be aware of each other and communicate as two human beings, always. i hope other posters relate with me this way too!

I've been known to hop on keys once in a while, too, hope you will enjoy learning some more guitar songs!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just ordered a WGS Veteran 10 for my 68 Custom Princeton Reverb - wanted a less efficient speaker for lower volume and one that could handle dirty tones better than the stock speaker. Can't wait to get it

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

looks cool -- hoe long did it take?

BizarroAzrael posted:

why might this be... something wrong with the saddles? maybe the string is sticking in it when you try to adjust?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

BizarroAzrael posted:

drat I really like that.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

still thinking about that song, and i think the G# is helping it to stick in my head, so maybe it's actually good and right?

whats your 2 week songwriting workshop like?

cool, it might be right!

it's with these folks: https://www.schoolofsong.org. i'm taking the one with Chris Cohen (of Deerhoof and solo work). i actually wasn't familiar with him, my friend dragged me into the class.

pretty fun if you need a way to write a bunch of songs quickly and stay accountable. the main course content is song sharing with a small group, so you get exposed to a lot of different styles and processes. classes on Sunday and Thursday, and you need a new song every session, so it moves fast.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If it's with me, i dont want it to ever be parasocial -- i'd rather we be aware of each other and communicate as two human beings, always. i hope other posters relate with me this way too!

I... I guess I can suspend my disbelief and treat you all as real people...

But yeah I was just joking, you're all super good guitarists and I need to be cajoled into doing things for my own benefit, I guess.

Also I feel guilty, I still haven't learned Blackbird despite your request! Ball, meet floor

I have a handful of originals I'm polishing up like pebbles in a rock tumbler, I want to get out and do a couple of them for open mics or something, then get them on an EP.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I... I guess I can suspend my disbelief and treat you all as real people...

But yeah I was just joking, you're all super good guitarists and I need to be cajoled into doing things for my own benefit, I guess.

Also I feel guilty, I still haven't learned Blackbird despite your request! Ball, meet floor

I have a handful of originals I'm polishing up like pebbles in a rock tumbler, I want to get out and do a couple of them for open mics or something, then get them on an EP.

i dont want you to feel guilty about not learning Blackbird if its too hard for now, or if you have other things you would rather to learn first -- it will be there for you whenever you are ready.

and no need to force yourself to learn it in a day or whatever, i think it's better to maybe spend a couple minutes practicing parts from it, like the slide up to the G chord at the 10th fret -- thats a cool move you can pilfer without learning the whole thing

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Red_Fred posted:

That looks pretty nice. How well do the necks fit? That would be my major concern with one of those kits.

Seems snug, no concerns over it, 4 screws with a plate on the back so all seems vert secure. Unless you're thinking of ones you glue, which I've also seen (HB ones are all bolt ons)

looks cool -- how long did it take?

why might this be... something wrong with the saddles? maybe the string is sticking in it when you try to adjust?

Well actual assembly was an hour or two most, the other optional stuff was the bulk of the time and a lot of that was waiting for stains and finishes to dry. I had to sand the body to take a stain, a few coats of the black (probably should have watered it a bit, seemed to just sit on top a lot) sanding away for the burst effect, then the blue. Finishing took a few days applying layers and a few more just letting it dry. Might have been able to speed things up a bit by fixing to hang it up so I don't need one side to dry to do the other.

Headstock was a bit of a pain, was using a coping saw and I don't have many ideal spots to clap it down, plus just not been using one much. A jigsaw and a practiced hand and it would be trivial if you're not being fancy, place all the 3x3 headstocks don't really need cutting if you don't feel like it.

The saddles move fine, possibly it's the app I'm using to tune with? I'' get out my old proper one and see what it says, but the app seems to be saying I'm pretty sharp on the twelfth. Rocksmith recognizes a bunch of high notes though so maybe its fine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that little vox mv50 ac micro stack came in today. holy poo poo it's fun. very impressed for 150 beans. just running my offbrand tele into it and playing with the knobs so far.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Was it a head and cab? Ah, geez.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yep, mine came in today too. Quite nice little units. Loud as gently caress. Cab also makes for a nice upgrade for my iRig Micro Amp.

nitsuga posted:

Was it a head and cab? Ah, geez.

Yep! The deal’s actually still going somehow, if anyone wants an AC or Clean head & 1x8 cab set for $150 (and the cabs work nicely as a pair with the MV50 units if you get both - they can only do 50w into 4Ω, so two 25w 8Ω cabs in parallel is perfect).

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so, reading up on the "NuTube" in this vox. i figured it was fake

quote:

The Nutube is manufactured by Noritake-Itron in Japan, using a similar process as vacuum fluorescent displays. It is, in fact, a one-pixel VFD device. The plate is coated with a phosphor just like a VFD, and it glows a blueish-white color when plate current is flowing.

this is so fuckin' cool.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on with the main riff in this song? (Starts at 2:34)

It sounds like it's entirely chromatic, like half of the notes are in the wrong key. But it works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-v9Aeb7Pr0

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

And when you're done explaining the riff can someone tell me where to buy pants like that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jonny 290 posted:

so, reading up on the "NuTube" in this vox. i figured it was fake

this is so fuckin' cool.

yeah NuTubes are super cool tech

there have been a couple of semi-abortive attempts in the HiFi and DIY audio scenes to get NuTube-based products and kits and guides/schematics out there over the years with very limited success

you’re talking about a niche of a niche of a niche hobby and Korg/etc are understandably pretty uninterested in throwing much attention or money there

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hellblazer187 posted:

And when you're done explaining the riff can someone tell me where to buy pants like that?

probably from somebody who does costuming/seamstress and tailor work for anime cosplayers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've been playing with the vox all night. its really really fun, and definitely feels tubey and loud. the eq switch really turns the little 8" cab into a chonk machine, and all my guitars sound unique. so far ive played my fake mustang (jangly, super fun to run open strings and drones), my tele (p90 and a hot bridge), and i even plugged the jackson 7 in, which...lol it sounds rad and is really pushin the input. Very glad i picked one of these up.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
was looking at those they look super cool. alas I have enough stuff and not enough space and I have gas not aas right now

that's a tempting goonreview though hmmmm HMMMMMMM

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on with the main riff in this song? (Starts at 2:34)

It sounds like it's entirely chromatic, like half of the notes are in the wrong key. But it works?

You can get away with chromatic movement as long as you commit to it and have al lot of notes that are directly next to each other to really emphasise it’s deliberate. Also the pedal note they’re chugging in between slides keeps the key apparent. The intro is just a sustained dissonant chord to begin with so by the time the riff comes in it sounds comparatively melodic.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 4, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

yeah key hasn’t been iron clad since basically the romantic era…

you can either move by step to something chromatically if you commit to it and especially if it’s consonant in the bass.

a common one i see in some recent punk music is a D/F# interval often around the F and G chords in the key of C.

i find that a little chromaticism or a borrowed chord here and there can actually be great for a song because it kind of makes things feel strained or like they’re coming apart. which in a theoretical sense, they kind of are, as the key relationship is either being strained or being muddied. but also that can totally dovetail well with things you might write lyrics about!!

also helps the piece from getting a bit too mind-numbingly diatonic — like if you write a melody that’s super diatonic to that key, which might be advisable to keep it catchy and understandable, some chromaticism or chord borrowing or general harmonic extension can keep it from getting too sing-song-y.

god writing music is the loving best i love it so much

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

sorry for double post, but i feel like there's a really false idea out there of like "music theory doesn't matter for songs"... one of the things i do to kind of understand theory studies is to go find whatever is being talked about in songs i like.

usa by jeff rosenstock is a political punk song from the last couple years but it has that D/F# thing in it, and some other chord borrowing stuff... jeff rosenstock uses chromaticism like that a lot in general to really hit home a feeling of alarm or concern in the music, and it totally works.

you gave your love to me softly, one of my favorite weezer songs, and when you were young by the killers, are both largely lydian.

note to self by modern baseball has a good amount of both -- the D/F# makes numerous appearances in the song, the verses and bridge of which are in F lydian. it pivots to Cmaj during the chorus as a sort of feeling of relief/encouragement/optimism after the other sections.

and these were songs where i always really loved the harmony, even before i understood these concepts, the songs had these cool feelings to them and i couldn't figure out what they had that other songs didn't.

so just know that music theory is as useful as you make it. i don't think any of these songs are exactly super pretentious art music, but i do think they're all really really effective songs.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway: more in this thread's interest:

i sold my tube screamer recently 'cause i needed the money and it wasn't really being used that much... i didn't like the sound of it that much on my humbucker guitar, especially compared to the RAT.

so now my pedalboard's looking pretty basic/bare... what should i get?? thinking about a big muff of some kind... maybe a carcosa.

these days i mostly play through my amp on clean since the dirty channel on a hot rod amp is um... "special". so i like dirt pedals that really saturate the signal a lot.

i really want to be able to get a sound like the right channel guitar on this sing -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRqR-pXoUk kinda raspy and textured.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The "squee" notes in that song are all over the place, but I think they're being used more as a texture and a contrast than a "note" specifically. They could be replaced by screeching feedback and it wouldn't really be any different. And that's okay! It's more of a texture/percussive riff.

landgrabber posted:

Well before that, Bach used to throw his "signature" in fugues, and that's Bb A C B.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

landgrabber posted:

i sold my tube screamer recently 'cause i needed the money and it wasn't really being used that much... i didn't like the sound of it that much on my humbucker guitar, especially compared to the RAT.

so now my pedalboard's looking pretty basic/bare... what should i get?? thinking about a big muff of some kind... maybe a carcosa.

these days i mostly play through my amp on clean since the dirty channel on a hot rod amp is um... "special". so i like dirt pedals that really saturate the signal a lot.

i really want to be able to get a sound like the right channel guitar on this sing -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRqR-pXoUk kinda raspy and textured.

russian muff/op amp muff

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

to my ear, what makes this work is the syncopated rhythm, and the "glitchy" and repetitive phrasing in the guitar part!

the chromatic melody is very dissonant, which is perfect for this poo poo -- A+!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

a common one i see in some recent punk music is a D/F# interval often around the F and G chords in the key of C.

i checked out the songs, but i couldn't figure out what kind of chord voicing you are talking about. Can you spell out for me how to play this thing?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

note to self by modern baseball... the verses and bridge of which are in F lydian. it pivots to Cmaj during the chorus as a sort of feeling of relief/encouragement/optimism after the other sections.

It's kinda pedantic, but I wouldn't call that lydian, there's no resolution to that F. It's just dicking around with the IV and V with appearances by the vi and III in major. The reason you get that release on the chorus is because it finally goes back to the tonic.

edit that III is a fun little twist though, the augmented 5 is a nice kick in the pants. "Majoring up" the iii when you're playing in major is a pretty common trick, it's raising what would be the leading tone in the relative harmonic minor, and it wants to lead to vi, it's another way to make that verse progression sound unresolved and uneasy. You see that trick used by Bowie a lot (Space Oddity, Five Years, uh I think Rock and Roll Suicide?), by Radiohead in Creep, just all over the place.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 4, 2022

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

landgrabber posted:

Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Boss gt1

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

landgrabber posted:

Fascinating stuff, thanks all!

This is something that's really dogged me when I was learning fairly basic theory. I didn't even know 'blue notes' were a thing for the longest time, and anything I wrote as a class project was so locked-into key that it was bland and sterile - this went for mixing theory as well, I was so caught up in complementary EQ and what 'the right settings' for a compressor were that none of my stuff had any spark to it. More recently I wrote a tune because I had this piano melody stuck in my head, and when it came time for the bridge (something I've also been notoriously bad at writing) I just kind of threw in some chords and ended up with this real departure, that two musician friends told me was because one of the chords was entirely outside the key - I think it's a D chord. I still don't know why that worked at all.

Anyway I'm not a guitarist, just a curious guy. I really should pick up my guitar and bass and learn how to use them, because so many of the electronic ideas in my head are butt-rocking riffs that sound like they'd be right at home on a guitar. I'm trying to get a buddy to come over and riff so I can write around it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

The "squee" notes in that song are all over the place, but I think they're being used more as a texture and a contrast than a "note" specifically. They could be replaced by screeching feedback and it wouldn't really be any different. And that's okay! It's more of a texture/percussive riff.

Well before that, Bach used to throw his "signature" in fugues, and that's Bb A C B.

what squee notes? i was just talking about the tone of the lead in the right channel. if you're referring to lullaby for wayne.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's kinda pedantic, but I wouldn't call that lydian, there's no resolution to that F. It's just dicking around with the IV and V with appearances by the vi and III in major. The reason you get that release on the chorus is because it finally goes back to the tonic.

edit that III is a fun little twist though, the augmented 5 is a nice kick in the pants. "Majoring up" the iii when you're playing in major is a pretty common trick, it's raising what would be the leading tone in the relative harmonic minor, and it wants to lead to vi, it's another way to make that verse progression sound unresolved and uneasy. You see that trick used by Bowie a lot (Space Oddity, Five Years, uh I think Rock and Roll Suicide?), by Radiohead in Creep, just all over the place.

i feel like i hear it kinda differently? to me it's a little bit jarring when i finally get to the chorus, like a modulation took place, which is why i assumed it was modal... the tonic note is changing. but then again a lot of people hear lydian as a very bright mode and i hear it as kinda contemplative, a little dark...

i've been in situations at least twice where i used a major III chord because i picked it up from pixies songs (where is my mind - E, C#m, G#, A) and people thought i got it from radiohead :v: i felt a little cool being like "nah i listened to the same poo poo radiohead listened to..."

i checked out the songs, but i couldn't figure out what kind of chord voicing you are talking about. Can you spell out for me how to play this thing?

sure. i called it an interval because it's more along the lines of a power chord usually... the jeff rosenstock one is a simple example. C, D/F#, G are the first three chords. you'd play the D/F# like 254XXX. i have my guitar in my lap as i type this and just tried it with barre chords, and it sounds the same if you just play C, D, G, all majors.

which could make it feel like kind of a modal Gmaj thing, but crucially, Gmaj7 doesn't work right in the song -- and the little cadence riffs do F, G, F, G, Cmaj7 during a lot of the song, and there's the long ambient part in the middle that goes between Cmaj7 and Fmaj7. so at the very least some murky key stuff.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

you get your own post: love you buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

what squee notes? i was just talking about the tone of the lead in the right channel. if you're referring to lullaby for wayne.

I was talking about the chugga-squee song Mister Speaker posted a while back.