Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

those eikon fights are gonna be really cool the first time you do them then tedious and boring on replay.

other than that the trailer rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure where people are getting that this trailer means Clive-o here is the only playable character. It's quite plausible he's the 'lead' of course, or the narrative core even if you can do most of the fighting as Benedikta or something.

Because we've only seen one character as playable. As is often the case with these sort of action games.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Because we've only seen one character as playable. As is often the case with these sort of action games.

Not...really no. I mean DMC has had extra playable characters since 2, the only outlier being 3's base game but the rerelease fixed that. Dragon's Dogma had you have a fully party of shlubs even if they weren't directly controllable I think after ff12 forward that's pretty fine by FF standards. Bayonetta, Revengence, etc all had multiple playable characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bayonetta and Revengence had other playable characters?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Although I did see elsewhere that while she probably isn't playable, Clive does apparently have sex with her, so... congratulations, FF16, you managed to hit negatives for me that I didn't even know I needed to expect.

much like yuor posting!!!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I didn't know there were multiple playable characters in Bayonetta, even, shows what I know.

Like I wouldn't blame anyone for not feeling hopeful or not liking that this guy seems to be the lead, either, but they sure seem to be making noise like Benedikta is likely a major figure. If they're really going like Game of Thrones, there might be viewpoint chapters and so forth, going between all these people.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Jeanne and Sam and Blade Wolf yeah.

Technically Rosa, Baldur and Rodin are playable in 2's weird multiplayer thing as well.

Nessus posted:

Like I wouldn't blame anyone for not feeling hopeful or not liking that this guy seems to be the lead, either,

I would because we literally know barely anything about the narrative or the characters themselves and unless you just absolutely don't trust the writers it's usually normal to wait to you see more than Almost Nothing to judge a character's writing by.

cuntman.net posted:

much like yuor posting!!!!

It's so loving funny. They do the tamest shot in a trailer to show they've got some relationship and Cleretic is making GBS threads their pants thinking this is some new low of media. My god...two characters in a narrative that are...intimate? How fuckign dare they.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 3, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Revengence had two other playable characters, but only as part of their DLC stories.

I can see FFXVI having DLC with different playable characters. FFXV and FFVIIR did.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh yeah the dlc and multiplayer sure. Don't think that's what the person I was responding to was really looking for though.

I can definitely see a Dragon Dogma esque party of npcs helping out but I'm def thinking Clive will be the solo playable protag. There could be some more PCs on the way (I can't remember how long it took for DMC5 to show off everybody) but I ain't expecting it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I would not consider 'maybe other playable characters will be DLC' to be a positive thing to hope for. Especially since FFXV considered playable female characters so low-priority that they cancelled the DLCs that would've brought it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cope.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I would not consider 'maybe other playable characters will be DLC' to be a positive thing to hope for. Especially since FFXV considered playable female characters so low-priority that they cancelled the DLCs that would've brought it.

That's not why they cancelled the DLC. Shut up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's not why they cancelled the DLC. Shut up.

I didn't say it was. But it sure did suck that they back-loaded the women so hard that when they started canning DLCs it coincidentally meant every DLC that starred a woman was among them.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
There's a weird level of venom in this thread from folks at the idea of someone being irritated at the idea of an FF game where you literally cannot play a woman.

Me I'll choose to continue to hope that Clive isn't the sole playable character.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I didn't say it was. But it sure did suck that they back-loaded the women so hard that when they started canning DLCs it coincidentally meant every DLC that starred a woman was among them.

Cleretic posted:

I would not consider 'maybe other playable characters will be DLC' to be a positive thing to hope for. Especially since FFXV considered playable female characters so low-priority that they cancelled the DLCs

Cleretic literally the only way to read that sentence is "FFXV hated women so much they cancelled the DLC"

if you meant that you should have said that. Like maybe "They hated women so much they didn't manage to get to the DLC before the game got recanclled."

WHICH is still STUPID because they did DLCs for all the main party members then the main villain first because...that's the core cast. It's not that they hated women or considered them unworthy they were trying desperately to backfill in anything to this rushed loving game that barely got to launch at all to give it literally any substance. They barely got it going for hte second wave of DLC and then the lead director left because he was tired of working on this nightmare after being given it. Nothing about this says the team or company doesn't care about women. Stop being such an idiot I know you can be smarter than this.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 3, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i hope Clive turns to the camera and says “dudes rock” at some point in Final Fantasy XVI

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I do not care if the character is even a human if the story is interesting.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Any thoughts on what the three orange bars under the health bar are?

I noticed they aren't present in some of the combat scenes in the trailer. They look to fill when a finisher is landed. Didn't see them deplete when switching eikons or using special moves.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a billion JRPGs where the majority of the playable cast are women, not sure why FF daring to have two entries without any is some sort of crime against the female gender tbh.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Any thoughts on what the three orange bars under the health bar are?

I noticed they aren't present in some of the combat scenes in the trailer. They look to fill when a finisher is landed. Didn't see them deplete when switching eikons or using special moves.

Might be stagger?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

There's a weird level of venom in this thread from folks at the idea of someone being irritated at the idea of an FF game where you literally cannot play a woman.

Me I'll choose to continue to hope that Clive isn't the sole playable character.

i mean I managed to make it through horizon zero dawn, a game where you literally cannot play a man, just fine.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Augus posted:

i mean I managed to play horizon zero dawn, a game where you literally cannot be a man, just fine

Because the situation in regards to representation and normalized protagonist status in mass media between men and women is, of course, completely identical.

C'mon, this is silly.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Because the situation in regards to representation and normalized protagonist status in mass media between men and women is, of course, completely identical.

C'mon, this is silly.

There's nothing wrong with games not letting you choose the gender of who you play lol cmon son.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's nothing wrong with games not letting you choose the gender of who you play lol cmon son.

That's not what I said, and you know that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

C'mon, this is silly.

there isn’t really a severe shortage of games with female protagonists in the year 2022
square enix is even publishing one that comes out before FFXVI

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

C'mon, this is silly.

It's silly either way. Like I'm a trans woman, there's very few video games in which I get representation (That isn't a sad indie game secretly about trauma). The rep I do get in media is incredibly lovely often. That doesn't mean I cannot form some human empathy and understanding with characters and protagonists that aren't trans or women at all. To make it a hard line stance is dumb. I don't need to see myself in every bit of media I enjoy because I can make some connection with people that aren't me. Almost as if that's part of art in general.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 3, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

That's not what I said, and you know that.

You're implying there's something inherently wrong with final fantasy 16 letting you only play as Clive, who is a man..

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Every game must have AT LEAST 1 female for every male, or it's not fair. Let's boycott this company that has repeatedly had female-only games.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

It's silly either way. Like I'm a trans woman, there's very few video games in which I get representation (That isn't a sad indie game secretly about trauma). The rep I do get in media is incredibly lovely often. That doesn't mean I cannot form some human empathy and understanding with characters and protagonists that aren't trans or women at all. To make it a hard line stance is dumb.

It's a subjective statement of tastes, that's all. Nobody has said it's impossible to form human empathy and understanding.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You're implying there's something inherently wrong with final fantasy 16 letting you only play as Clive, who is a man..

I'm saying that I personally - and I am not the only person - would find that a disappointing turnoff, especially after FFXV was also a game with No Playable Ladies Need Apply because they decided they wanted it to be a Game About Bros Being Bros, and the most recent game where your primary protagonist was a female lead was the highly controversial FF13 subseries. That's an entirely reasonable subjective position, isn't it?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 3, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I do not care if the character is even a human if the story is interesting.

Frankly if the protagonist wasn't a human, I'd be more interested. Across the entire mainline series we've only had that once. Unless you count hybrids that look exactly the same as humans, but that's sort of against the spirit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

It's a subjective statement of tastes, that's all. Nobody has said it's impossible to form human empathy and understanding.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Stop trying to have it both ways Jet.

Cleretic posted:

Frankly if the protagonist wasn't a human, I'd be more interested. Across the entire mainline series we've only had that once. Unless you count hybrids that look exactly the same as humans, but that's sort of against the spirit.

Hey just wanna ask are you actually going to engage with my point about ffxv's dlc priorities and it's director leaving not being some showcase of misogyny but the result of a rush and hosed dev cycle forcing them to spend post game dev time filling the game in with bits it should have had at the start?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Stop trying to have it both ways Jet.

I'm not trying to have it both ways by saying I personally think it's disappointing and a turnoff. I'm stating my subjective opinion and response with conviction.

I'm not the one here stating I will not under any cases play FF16 because Solely Dude. That's Cleretic, and bluntly I think it is entirely her right to feel that way.

I said I would be disappointed if FF16 didn't have any other party members because yes, I personally would rather see diverse player parties over "hey, play a dude," because "play a dude as the lead" remains the default baseline in a lot of the industry. I was disappointed with FF13 and really do want it to not be The Time Square Tried a Female Lead & Decided That The Gamers Don't Like Playable Lady Leads! That's my entirely subjective response.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 3, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

Might be stagger?

I don't think so. The stagger bar looks to be under the enemy names.

I think it might be some kind of transformation move.

edit: Hmm. Three bars at 26, but only one at 27, and it's not because the other two are empty since we can see them unfilled in the below shot.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 3, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

OhFunny posted:

DT Gauge sounds reasonable.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That's an XIV Limit Break bar.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Oh yeah, as others said that's an FF14 limit break bar. Whether it'll do that here is an open question.

OhFunny posted:

edit: Hmm. Three bars at 26, but only one at 27, and it's not because the other two are empty since we can see them unfilled in the below shot.

In FF14, your degree of limit break you can get up to is directly gated by the size of your party. You need 8 people to go above 2 bars. So maybe it's some similar sort of contextual gating, either by allies on the field or something else?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 3, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Has there been an FF game with Orcs before...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has there been an FF game with Orcs before...

I mean the S/NES era had goblins and ogre enemies and so there's probably and Orc hanging around.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Ogre_(Final_Fantasy_IV_2D)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

God how could I have forgotten about Limit Breaks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean the S/NES era had goblins and ogre enemies and so there's probably and Orc hanging around.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Ogre_(Final_Fantasy_IV_2D)

I knew that FF definitely has goblins but seeing those "Orcish" enemies in the trailer seemed different...