Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's impossible to mock, parody or satirise modern society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CommieGIR posted:

Again, these people keep preaching about the 'security' of Crypto and then blowing it out of the water over and over that they don't understand Security at all.

Like how they say hacked when they mean phished or social engineered or whatever. Zero technical skill is required to separate these goofs from their apes.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A goof and his ape are soon funged

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

priznat posted:

Zero technical skill is required to separate these goofs from their asses.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Do all NFTs have to be super ugly? Is that part of the appeal? Counter-counter-counter-culture?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tarquinn posted:

Do all NFTs have to be super ugly? Is that part of the appeal? Counter-counter-counter-culture?

Kind of. I know someone who worked on an NFT project (that went nowhere) and the big thing is what they call "generative" art which is where, for example if you are making an NFT of pizzas, you get 10 different artists to draw one pizza topping each (and they get paid in NFTs). Then you basically just run a script that generates one image of each combination of pizza toppings and gives you an image of that pizza, the point being that it would create literally 10! = 3.6 million images for them and they would mint enormous numbers as NFTs. Then when someone buys one and months later special owner rewards are announced - like for example any apes with a green tongue are POWER APES and ownership of them comes with certain perks like getting invited to an annual pizza party, any apes with GOLDEN EYEBALLS are GOLD APES and their owners get $500/month forever for life. They have no coherent art design and mash several artists' styles together into an ugly mess, and it's all procgen with no trained eye making sure it actually looks good.

Same deal with things like Cryptopunks or whatever, they are just enormous junkyards full of proc-gen garbage that people pick through trying to find the rare ones that someone might actually want because it looks vaguely like them or whatever.

e: The best way I can describe the NFT 'scene' after knowing someone who was VERY into it (and made a lot of money off of it then lost it all in the crash) is that they were just Kickstarter campaigns except you were gambling with what backer reward you got and there was no actual project, it was just people pooling money together to get tenebrous backer rewards that were contingent on the NFTs becoming valuable enough to make the creators rich.

Here's a link to the Billionaire Apes whatever club Discord that I was invited to before that thing ever launched:
https://discord.gg/Z4uQDu4F

I haven't looked at it since the day I got invited but I remember some hilariously bad hot takes from people in there about how valuable their apes were going to be because of ???reasons???. They legitimately thought owning these things was going to make them filthy rich.

There are two people who have a special "Whale" role in Discord for buying more than 50 apes, lol.

Here's their roadmap for the billionaire ape club project:

I love how the rewards their holders can expect are things like being part of "an organization" (unspecified), the owners buying "land" in the metaverse, just literally paying people monthly stipends for owning apes (with what money???), "we'll find somone to collaborate on something with" and "hell, we'll make an MMO too". Zero details about any of it, just vague web3 terms thrown at an infographic.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 3, 2022

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Ah, drat, yes. I hadn't thought about most of those terrible NFTs being created by an algorithm. Makes perfect sense... and devaluates the "art" even more. Everything about NFTs is so goddamn stupid.

Thanks for the explanation, deep dish peat moss! :tipshat:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I would describe the overall NFT aesthetic as "Spencer's Gifts chic"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh my god look at this video from the discord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnWwIU56eI

This guy is literally just harassing women in public or who are working about how cool his ape is and making them tell him how cool they think it is :laugh: He gets kicked out and banned from almost everywhere he goes

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 3, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i've followed the crypto and nft space for a while and felt like i "got" it, but this one is really breaking my brain

they have their original art and all their original infrastructure, don't they? someone just added a hyperlink pointed at a copy of the jpg to the blockchain before them? is that really stealing? would it still be stealing if the offender had added their copied hyperlink to the blockchain after the official launch? does being first to the blockchain matter more than the provenance of the "art" in the eyes of the public so the original creator can't just go ahead and add their pointer to the blockchain second?

i mean, i guess it's theft, but it seems like a form of theft that anyone can still do at any point in time after the jpgs are released into the wild

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's their roadmap for the billionaire ape club project:

I love how the rewards their holders can expect are things like being part of "an organization" (unspecified), the owners buying "land" in the metaverse, just literally paying people monthly stipends for owning apes (with what money???), "we'll find somone to collaborate on something with" and "hell, we'll make an MMO too". Zero details about any of it, just vague web3 terms thrown at an infographic.

number 6 and 7 seem to be essentially the exact same bullet point repeated twice, but i guess they really want to drive home "we will give you money for nothing"

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 3, 2022

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

You could say he...

...lost his rear end.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They tried modelling NFTs after fine art, but that took too much effort. So they went with the trading card model, only with fine art prices. The actual aesthetics of the individual NFTs don't matter, because it just has to be plausible enough to convince a bag holder that it's actually desired by someone. That's why every NFT bro is brimming with fake enthusiasm and won't shut up about them. Not one of them actually likes the ugly apes. They're all putting on a show for the next bag holder down the line. They're even happy to publicize high dollar NFT thefts, because they show that their jpgs are both desirable and worth lots of money. It's a human centipede of bag holders pretending to be con artists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's basically the beanie baby model but with randomisation. The apes I think took off because of both astroturfing and the ugly as gently caress design at least being distinct. But yeah, the rest is fairy farts and ridiculous lies.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Grab-rear end but play to earn

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ponzicar posted:

They tried modelling NFTs after fine art, but that took too much effort. So they went with the trading card model, only with fine art prices. The actual aesthetics of the individual NFTs don't matter, because it just has to be plausible enough to convince a bag holder that it's actually desired by someone. That's why every NFT bro is brimming with fake enthusiasm and won't shut up about them. Not one of them actually likes the ugly apes. They're all putting on a show for the next bag holder down the line. They're even happy to publicize high dollar NFT thefts, because they show that their jpgs are both desirable and worth lots of money. It's a human centipede of bag holders pretending to be con artists.

It symbolises their "degenerate" aesthetic, it's the bohemian chic du jour

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's basically the beanie baby model but with randomisation. The apes I think took off because of both astroturfing and the ugly as gently caress design at least being distinct. But yeah, the rest is fairy farts and ridiculous lies.

digital beanie babies seems like it explains nfts just as well as dunning-krugerrands explains bitcoin

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

the reason NFT art sucks is that any artist with any talent isn't going to want to touch it, not unless they're paid for it.
they have no investment capital because it's completely a grift.
they tried stealing the art, but people caught on quick.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like the art is bad at least partially on purpose. Fine art NFTs exist, good artists have debased themselves enough to do NFTs. Those don't catch on specifically because they're "just" art. they're just one-off pieces of art that have a subjective value. Bored apes took off because they're randomly generated from a set of parameters. Some aspects are rarer than others, and NFT bros go buck wild trying to collect the rarest apes, quality of the art be damned. All of the most "successful" (by their own metrics) NFT projects now copy that formula.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I hate the beanie baby comparison. My mom got me the squirrel when I was in third grade and that guy ruled, as much as a inanimate object could rule. We were using beanie babies to create a village in class. Squirrelguy was 1000 times more aesthetically pleasing than these drat dirty apes. He even came with a poem, which is more artistry and verbal skill than has ever been used in the crypto space.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

greazeball posted:

It symbolises their "degenerate" aesthetic, it's the bohemian chic du jour

Don't you understand, it's still early, brah... the aesthetic will approach N64 levels of visual quality in approximately 2037

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Golden Bee posted:

I hate the beanie baby comparison. My mom got me the squirrel when I was in third grade and that guy ruled, as much as a inanimate object could rule. We were using beanie babies to create a village in class. Squirrelguy was 1000 times more aesthetically pleasing than these drat dirty apes. He even came with a poem, which is more artistry and verbal skill than has ever been used in the crypto space.

i agree. beanie babies were cute, they had beans in 'um so they had some weight to them, they were generally well made. my lil sister had a few. they don't deserve the association. if nothing else, at least they existed

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
beanies are super cool and anyone who doesn't think so is wrong

NFT art is bad because good art risks attracting people with standards. lovely cartoons filter out all but the most degen moon boys, the most dedicated suckers who think they're the scammers

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
yo beanie babies exist and many continue to exist this very day. This is unlike any nft

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

KakerMix posted:

yo beanie babies exist and many continue to exist this very day. This is unlike any nft

my mom got a bunch of those things when they were going around, now she gives them out to kids and they're excited to have a cool stuffed animal

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
imagine coiners trying to get some kids excited about an ape

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

KakerMix posted:

I spent last summer filming at a Toy Auction house and there is still a market for Beanie Babies, albeit at much, much lower prices. A lot of them were auctioned in bags of 10

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Someone redo that beanie babies divorce pic with NFTs.

TIA!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mimesweeper posted:

imagine coiners trying to get some kids excited about an ape

yeah let's keep cryptobros as far away from children as possible

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Happy Platinum Jubilee

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

platty jubs

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Didn’t I read that the bored apes weren’t actually randomized? It was alleged that the guys who made them have fashy roots and the choice of apes with things like gold grills and chains and other “rapper” trappings were very much intentional

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Durzel posted:

Crypto isn’t regulated, so no.

Also lol that you’d imagine there are consequences for people in power.

There is actually a very solid argument that yes, a bunch of this crypto stuff is really just unlicensed securities and they SEC has the regulatory authority to prosecute it as such. I know bitcoiners try to pretend it should all somehow be immune from The Man’s law, but it’s really not.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1532509019461541890?s=20&t=sYtx7fuMxDRzs52yA2eVQA

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

drk posted:

Matt Levine predictably has a good take on the OpenSea insider trading arrest today: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-06-02/don-t-insider-trade-nfts (paywall kinda comes and goes)

He frequently explains how everything is securities fraud, but explains today that *really everything* is wire fraud:

Basically, if you are going to do a crimes, dont communicate via electronic means about it. Or, the mail. Or, in person. In fact, probably keep your criming to yourself, because it will make you both harder to catch and harder to prosecute.

Great read.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Scratch Monkey posted:

Didn’t I read that the bored apes weren’t actually randomized? It was alleged that the guys who made them have fashy roots and the choice of apes with things like gold grills and chains and other “rapper” trappings were very much intentional

someone intentionally decided what features the apes should have, made a bunch of them, and then had an algorithm combine them randomly to produce the finished unique apes. so it's not an either/or thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean more the beanie babies comparison in that the ironclad certainty that these apes will be in frothing demand and worth $$$ for ~reasons~, I'm aware the difference is beanie babies are also perfectly functional products

LordArgh posted:

someone intentionally decided what features the apes should have, made a bunch of them, and then had an algorithm combine them randomly to produce the finished unique apes. so it's not an either/or thing

It's basically if you got an old flash character creator and randomised the output and sold them.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

LordArgh posted:

I genuinely don't understand NFTs but I really don't understand the whole ape design choice. They don't look interesting and if some artist released a bunch in some non digital way (ugh) no one would want them. Like how are they a thing. Who looks at those designs and thinks I want to pay hundreds of thousands for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

B-Rock452 posted:

I genuinely don't understand NFTs but I really don't understand the whole ape design choice. They don't look interesting and if some artist released a bunch in some non digital way (ugh) no one would want them. Like how are they a thing. Who looks at those designs and thinks I want to pay hundreds of thousands for them.

NFTs are a pretty amazing thing if you're into art history or philosophy. What is art? What is commercial art? What is valuable art? People have been trying to understand these concepts for forever, and now it's all proven: art is nothing, and anything can have tremendous artistic value if people are stupid enough to dump money into it. Even if that thing is generated by a computer based on bullshit inputs.