Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/atislejins/status/1532240595862814723

Apparently Germany tried to amend a NATO resolution, “for a faster passing”, today, by dropping a clause about permanent NATO bases in the Baltics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I know this isn't exactly a chat thread but what kind of spicy foods do y'all have and how can the West use things like Mexican jalapenos to our strategic advantage?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I know this isn't exactly a chat thread but what kind of spicy foods do y'all have and how can the West use things like Mexican jalapenos to our strategic advantage?

Maybe it's my nose that's hosed up but i get worse reactions from Kren/Aivar than most of the "Mexican" sauces i get in my supermarket (there are still a handful of more powerful ones which are far stronger, and I know to avoid them).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Maybe it's my nose that's hosed up but i get worse reactions from Kren/Aivar than most of the "Mexican" sauces i get in my supermarket (there are still a handful of more powerful ones which are far stronger, and I know to avoid them).

Nah that’s fine, horseradish releases “heat” differently from peppers. And yeah I don’t think we have anything more spicy than that in Baltics too.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Ćwikła, perhaps?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Horseradish is traditionally used a condiment. Otherwise I think most of the spicy meals are originally from Hungary, paprika HQ of Europe, like sausages, goulash and so on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dwesa posted:

Horseradish is traditionally used a condiment. Otherwise I think most of the spicy meals are originally from Hungary, paprika HQ of Europe, like sausages, goulash and so on.

I never tasted any kind of goulash or spiced sausages that matched 'Nduja or anything from Calabria so i will have to call objection to the paprika HQ of Europe statement :)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

I never tasted any kind of goulash or spiced sausages that matched 'Nduja or anything from Calabria so i will have to call objection to the paprika HQ of Europe statement :)

Goulash soup as designed is rather spicy. In former USSR it got butchered into this very mildly tasting meat dish with gravy somehow though.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

We had to establish friendship and visa-free travel with far away lands with similar fates to get exotic herbs and mayonnaise uncovered food i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajika

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Goulash soup as designed is rather spicy. In former USSR it got butchered into this very mildly tasting meat dish with gravy somehow though.

Never tasted the gravy variant you mention(which seems dire by your description), only the spicy soup with various grades of spiciness ranging from mild to hellish but still tame compared to 'Nduja or hell even sausages with fennel seeds(which might again be an issue on my end).

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

SlowBloke posted:

I was mostly referring to its widespread use, it's like spice on Arrakis, everywhere. But compared to some other national cuisines, I think Hungarian is only moderately spicy, but probably still spicier than other V4 cuisines.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

We had to establish friendship and visa-free travel with far away lands with similar fates to get exotic herbs and mayonnaise uncovered food i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajika

It’s so difficult to get good adjika here. :(

SlowBloke posted:

Never tasted the gravy variant you mention(which seems dire by your description), only the spicy soup with various grades of spiciness ranging from mild to hellish but still tame compared to 'Nduja or hell even sausages with fennel seeds(which might again be an issue on my end).

https://tavaklade.lv/gulass-ka-padomju-laiku-ednicas

Traditionally made with pork here. Sour cream frequently gets added into the gravy as well, to thicken together with flour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dwesa posted:

I was mostly referring to its widespread use, it's like spice on Arrakis, everywhere. But compared to some other national cuisines, I think Hungarian is only moderately spicy, but probably still spicier than other V4 cuisines.

I mean the spiciness level of other V4 countries is literally 0. I personally think the mass infatuation with over the top spiciness is largely performative and obnoxious and to the detriment of food culture in general, but then I get even more annoyed when I make something with a molecule of chili in it and suddenly everybody freaks out that is inedible, often before even tasting it.

BTW Hungarians make very good hot sauces imo.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s so difficult to get good adjika here. :(

This gives me the idea to ask the local georgian restaurants where they source their good stuff

================
In honor of pride week
https://twitter.com/nikicaga/status/1532075364075200512

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

This gives me the idea to ask the local georgian restaurants where they source their good stuff

================
In honor of pride week

That’s a very unfortunate Twitter crop for this joke. :laffo:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s a very unfortunate Twitter crop for this joke. :laffo:

despite this somehow i already knew what was gonna be in the clickthrough :D

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

I mean the spiciness level of other V4 countries is literally 0. I personally think the mass infatuation with over the top spiciness is largely performative and obnoxious and to the detriment of food culture in general, but then I get even more annoyed when I make something with a molecule of chili in it and suddenly everybody freaks out that is inedible, often before even tasting it.

BTW Hungarians make very good hot sauces imo.

It's because whipping out and measuring your dicks is seen as stupid by now, so people instead measure capsaicin tolerance.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Somaen posted:

================
In honor of pride week

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

despite this somehow i already knew what was gonna be in the clickthrough :D

I wasn't thinking ahead and legit chuckled when I saw the twist.

By the way, if they are posting all the individual LGBTQ+ flags, then that's not the correct gay (male) flag, this is the gay flag:

https://twitter.com/lgbtqiaotuk/status/1404701145382203392?lang=en

The rainbow flag is for all LGBTQ+ people.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

jonnypeh posted:

Here in Estonia our current PM has done bloody good work with this Ukraine war and banging the drums in EU over it. But surely we can't let it last.
Now the other party in the coalition came up with the bill to increase child support. Because that's in their party's program. They haven't discussed with their coalition partners what taxes need to be raised or what else needs to be cut to make it happen. But who cares about that, right.
When one has 1-2 children the money they receive will go up from 60 to 100€ per month. Those that have between 3 and 6 children will receive an additional 700€, with 7 and more it'll be additional 900€. Sure, we need more children. Then there's that other thing: anyone already qualifies for that money, even high income earners. When the cost of heating went up last winter, again: initial compensation was paid out universally. They could've saved millions by not compensating people like me, who make several times the national average.
At the same time, single parents are much worse off and nothing is done for them.

This will probably break the coalition and those populists will throw their lot in again with the conservative racists.

We've loads of other costs or obligations that now come up to bite us in the rear end:
1. Years of car-centric development, which has fooled people into thinking that they'll be driving their cars for barely any charge. Like USA, except our petrol now costs more than 2€ per litre.
2. There's public transport and a lot of it being free of charge. The state pays/paid various bus companies to operate the lines at a modest profit. Until the price of fuel went up. Sure, ridership is going up as well, also because less people want to drive but the companies won't make any additional ticket revenue off increased ridership. They do want the state to compensate for their losses and the state is trying to fight them.
3. University education is also free of charge, which is fine. But their funding as percentage of GDP has steadily gone down through the years so universities have started dropping some subjects (in Estonian) entirely. The unis can still charge foreign students so financially it makes more sense to teach more in English : P
4. The previous government also permitted people to withdraw from the state pension fund because as we all know, everyone makes a good investor if they only had money. So that further contributed to our inflation of 20%. Sure, the war also helped with that.

Well here we go.
https://news.err.ee/1608618850/estonian-prime-minister-dismisses-junior-coalition-partner-from-government

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Gas prices in Poland went over the 1.74 EUR - 8 PLN psychological barrier and spontaneous protests here and there are taking place at the state-run gas stations. Diesel is funny - it was 11 eurocents over the gas price, within a week it went to 11 eurocents under. Still not as bad as Germany where I saw 2.20 EUR two weeks ago, but yeah, Poles are not going to accept it staying over 1.74 EUR.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Gas prices in Poland went over the 1.74 EUR - 8 PLN psychological barrier and spontaneous protests here and there are taking place at the state-run gas stations. Diesel is funny - it was 11 eurocents over the gas price, within a week it went to 11 eurocents under. Still not as bad as Germany where I saw 2.20 EUR two weeks ago, but yeah, Poles are not going to accept it staying over 1.74 EUR.

Everything except normal diesel (as opposed to “plus diesel”, whatever that would be) is over 2 EUR/litre here in Riga. That said, I would be surprised to see outright protests over it. Probably not even if it climbs to 3 EUR/litre. Politicians will take a pounding though, and respond - with this being the elections year.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
lol over 2.4 eur/l is common in Finland

across the eastern border it's half that, this has been a common reason for getting a Russian visa in the border towns. But one year from now European traffic insurances won't apply in Russia and Belarus because the green card agreement has now been terminated. It has a 12 month termination period. Well, passenger car traffic has been on hold due to covid anyway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fuel smuggling is very common in my home region. You’re going to see a lot of interesting poo poo there, like old E-series Mercedes sedans modified with 200 litre fuel tanks. Or outright wild poo poo, like a camper one with double floor fuel tank.

Russian side is equally wild. A highschool classmate did smuggle stuff regularly back in 12th grade. Closest gas station on Russian side has sloped ramps at the fuel pumps, so that you could *really* fill it up - the classmate did overdo it on his first trip there, and his fuel tank valve would leak a bit of fuel on every right turn. :laffo: On a different occasion, he once had the bright idea to fill the windshield cleaning liquid tank with fuel. Border guards caught a whiff of that, and forced him to wash windshield with fuel before just waving him through into the country. :laffo:

Also the first Russian station has vodka and cigarettes section that rivals our largest supermarkets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Car owners deserve to suffer, so I've been in :sickos: mood for a while

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

On a different occasion, he once had the bright idea to fill the windshield cleaning liquid tank with fuel. Border guards caught a whiff of that, and forced him to wash windshield with fuel before just waving him through into the country. :laffo:

:piss:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Good avatar/post combo

steinrokkan posted:

Car owners deserve to suffer, so I've been in :sickos: mood for a while
I only drive for fun or like once per week for shopping so whatever but I do wonder what the people who still commute or drive 500km every week to their weekend cottages are feeling. Strangely this doesn't seem to lead to broader acceptance of EVs, I really don't get it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Good avatar/post combo

I only drive for fun or like once per week for shopping so whatever but I do wonder what the people who still commute or drive 500km every week to their weekend cottages are feeling. Strangely this doesn't seem to lead to broader acceptance of EVs, I really don't get it.

EV acceptance is rapidly increasing. Something like half of new care sales in EU are hybrid or pure EVs.

That said, the situation with them is not without problems. Assortiment is shallow, availability is poor, and lithium is simply expensive - buying an EV means affording 3-10 thousand EUR over what you’d otherwise spend on the car. Which may be okay in Berlin, but hardly affordable in Latvia, for example. Our current EV purchase welfare is basically a handout for upper middle class.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
I feel like going EVs completely would be a bit reckless though apart from the costs alone.

Going full on hybrid should be the way to go and then transfer to full EV over 15 years or more.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I have a 550km one-way commute, though luckily only around once a month. I take the highway because it’s just as fast as the train (6 hours) and my back doesn’t hurt - Polish rail still runs old-rear end trains on this line with horrible seats and shared compartments.

I got into a nasty argument last time I was riding with a lady that insisted on having a plate of super-smelly hot ribs in ours. I’m a polluter and I won’t make excuses for muself, but my diesel is getting 7.6l/100 on this road, meaning I can juuuust make the whole trip on one tank(which, granted, is big). Still, having to pay 20 EUR more per tank thank a year ago hurts.

Next week to Poznan though I’m taking the train, even though Polish rail takes 3 and a half hours to get there (wtf). Inshallah they’ll have a non-compartment wagon.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 5, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

EV acceptance is rapidly increasing. Something like half of new care sales in EU are hybrid or pure EVs.

That said, the situation with them is not without problems. Assortiment is shallow, availability is poor, and lithium is simply expensive - buying an EV means affording 3-10 thousand EUR over what you’d otherwise spend on the car. Which may be okay in Berlin, but hardly affordable in Latvia, for example. Our current EV purchase welfare is basically a handout for upper middle class.
They're certainly not without downsides, I'm not saying that everyone has to buy one right now. I'm just surprised that I'm not seeing more discussions about it as fuel prices are going through the roof. It was over 2EUR/liter here as well.

Norwegians are demonstrating that they do actually work perfectly fine IRL. Obviously they're rich as gently caress compared to us but usually the complaints here are either nonsense (check this out, an 80k EUR gas car and 52k EUR EV. Guess where everyone is complaining about the price and comparing it to stripper model Octavias) or completely unrelated to cost and nonsense. Such as "hurr I drive to Croatia once per year for my vacation and I refuse to stop on the way".

I don't think the government here is offering any incentives for EVs at all, or investing in infrastructure. I dunno, just seems like a missed opportunity. It's ok to spend billions on lovely highways that fall apart, or running empty trains, but that's somehow too much.

Mokotow posted:

I have a 550km one-way commute, though luckily only around once a month. I take the highway because it’s just as fast as the train (6 hours) and my back doesn’t hurt - Polish rail still runs old-rear end trains on this line with horrible seats and shared compartments.

I got into a nasty argument last time I was riding with a lady that insisted on having a plate of super-smelly hot ribs in ours. I’m a polluter and I won’t make excuses for muself, but my diesel is getting 7.6l/100 on this road, meaning I can juuuust make the whole trip on one tank(which, granted, is big). Still, having to pay 20 EUR more per tank thank a year ago hurts.

Next week to Poznan though I’m taking the train, even though Polish rail takes 3 and a half hours to get there (wtf). Inshallah they’ll have a non-compartment wagon.
I don't recall the last time I was in public transport other than a plane so no judgement :v: but driving long-ish distances is getting ridiculously expensive. I actually recently thought about going to Wroclaw for some reason and... nope. it's literally costing me less to fly to Abu Dhabi.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Skipping over the fact that the Kia costs more than double of what we actually drive :v: my big issue with EVs is basically "where the gently caress am I supposed to charge them?". I live in a flat in Prague, so I don't have a garage to just charge overnight, I don't drive car to work, so I can't just charge it at work, and the one close-ish charging station has a 6 hours stand-there limit, so I can't let it charge overnight there either. This leave planning trips so that we visit and wait for chargers and gently caress that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xarn posted:

Skipping over the fact that the Kia costs more than double of what we actually drive :v: my big issue with EVs is basically "where the gently caress am I supposed to charge them?". I live in a flat in Prague, so I don't have a garage to just charge overnight, I don't drive car to work, so I can't just charge it at work, and the one close-ish charging station has a 6 hours stand-there limit, so I can't let it charge overnight there either. This leave planning trips so that we visit and wait for chargers and gently caress that.

It costs 90 times more than what I drive :D But I mean my point was just that it's not out of line with what nicer cars cost nowadays.

Charging is a problem for me for the exactly the same reason, though I could charge at the office (if I still went there). But half of the population lives in houses, and theoretically the government/industry could be doing something for the rest, instead of... doing nothing, which is what I was remarking on.

E: At least Germany is trying the 9E public transport thing

lol!
vvvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 6, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Lavrov is scheduled to visit Serbia this week, only problem being all the airspace around the country is closed to Russian flights and he’s sanctioned by the EU. Montenegro, Macedonia and Bulgaria declined passage. Considered options include a charter with a non-Russia registered airframe or putting him on an Air Serbia flight.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mokotow posted:

Petrol and diesel have the same prices right now in Italy, 1,99€, which funnily enough are lower than the prices from Slovenia (it's usually the opposite). The price is pretty much the same since the start of the conflict.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

There is literally 1, maybe 2 evs which can accommodate a 2+3 family, especially if you want to put proper kid car seats in the back.

Not to mention the cost vs a 10 year old Volvo v70

I suppose I should have heeded the child free memo a few years back.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

There is literally 1, maybe 2 evs which can accommodate a 2+3 family, especially if you want to put proper kid car seats in the back.

To be fair, 2+3 feels unusually big family, at least for Latvia. These days it’s like 1 kid per 2 families, not my dad’s family where he was one of 11 children.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/evijaunama/status/1533739114817888256

Looking forward to the entirety of my Tinder feed to be “foreign agents”.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 6, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wanted to get an EV since vast majority of my trips are 120km max. But then there are those ~20 trips per year that are longer than that which would either require expensive EV with at least 400km real life range, being forced to rely on sparse Polish recharge station grid or just renting an ICE car.. Ended up getting a hybrid, since back then I couldn't justify shelling 30% extra for a plug-in hybrid. Also WFH is amazing, having to pay 8PLN/L hurts way less if you fill the tank twice a month.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Sup buddy, fitting 3 car seats into the back of a car is real pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

alex314 posted:

I wanted to get an EV since vast majority of my trips are 120km max. But then there are those ~20 trips per year that are longer than that which would either require expensive EV with at least 400km real life range, being forced to rely on sparse Polish recharge station grid or just renting an ICE car.. Ended up getting a hybrid, since back then I couldn't justify shelling 30% extra for a plug-in hybrid. Also WFH is amazing, having to pay 8PLN/L hurts way less if you fill the tank twice a month.

Several brands offer EVs with a secondary car rental sub, where you can grab a temp petrol car for extra long journeys(it's decent for ~30 trips yearly, if you use it more it starts getting costly enough to warrant a dedicated petrol car). Fiat does that for the 500e in some euro markets, where you get three years of spot car rental from leasys.