Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I think the lions came first and then someone said “but apes”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Mr. Potato Head was visionary art

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Vashro posted:

Mr. Potato Head was visionary art

Someone actually "designed" Potato Head. That's far more than you can say for NFTs.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I was going to make a joke about Mr. Potato Head NFTs but had foolishly forgotten that it is impossible to parody or satirise NFTs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think the lions came first and then someone said “but apes”

CryptoKitties and CryptoPunks were the first iterations of "randomly generated NFT avatars" I think, all the way back in 2017

NFTs didn't really blow up until last year though, and BAYC was the big new collection at that time, hence the endless knockoff apes

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The apes are racist.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've followed the crypto and nft space for a while and felt like i "got" it, but this one is really breaking my brain

they have their original art and all their original infrastructure, don't they? someone just added a hyperlink pointed at a copy of the jpg to the blockchain before them? is that really stealing? would it still be stealing if the offender had added their copied hyperlink to the blockchain after the official launch? does being first to the blockchain matter more than the provenance of the "art" in the eyes of the public so the original creator can't just go ahead and add their pointer to the blockchain second?

i mean, i guess it's theft, but it seems like a form of theft that anyone can still do at any point in time after the jpgs are released into the wild

number 6 and 7 seem to be essentially the exact same bullet point repeated twice, but i guess they really want to drive home "we will give you money for nothing"

if multiple people have made NFTs pointing to the same JPG, the usual way to distinguish between the original NFTs from the "real" NFT projects and the "knockoff" copycat NFTs is by looking at which NFTs were minted first

that's why the NFT folks' standard answer to art theft is "you should mint NFTs of your art first, before anyone else does"

so copying the project before the launch, with the same contract and everything, means that it's impossible to tell from ~the blockchain~ that it's a copycat. instead, the real project will look like the copycat

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

LifeSunDeath posted:

NFTs are a pretty amazing thing if you're into art history or philosophy. What is art? What is commercial art? What is valuable art? People have been trying to understand these concepts for forever, and now it's all proven: art is nothing, and anything can have tremendous artistic value if people are stupid enough to dump money into it. Even if that thing is generated by a computer based on bullshit inputs.

Except that folks like Lawrence Weiner and Sol LeWitt were disaggregating "art" from an individual physical object back in the sixties and seventies. NFTs aren't asking any new questions or advancing that conservation at all. There's nothing but the scam there.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I think the ape thing is a nod to the r/wallstreetbets people who called themselves apes, in reference to the line “apes together strong” from one of the modern planet of the apes movies that became a minor meme on leftbook

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

There Bias Two posted:

The apes are racist.

i remember some reddit post about a dipshit techbro who bought his black gf a bored ape for christmas and was astonished that she didn't appreciate it

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

i remember some reddit post about a dipshit techbro who bought his black gf a bored ape for christmas and was astonished that she didn't appreciate it
are we sure that this "reddit dipshit techbro" wasn't alexis ohanian himself

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

LifeSunDeath posted:

NFTs are a pretty amazing thing if you're into art history or philosophy. What is art? What is commercial art? What is valuable art? People have been trying to understand these concepts for forever, and now it's all proven: art is nothing, and anything can have tremendous artistic value if people are stupid enough to dump money into it. Even if that thing is generated by a computer based on bullshit inputs.

Art is expression. These NFT apes are computer generated, the only thing they're expressing is their owners commitment to consumerism.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

NFT's are artistic expression the same way me grinding Diablo 2 for a hundred hours to get the perfect random prefix and suffix on my randomly generated magic axe is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's literally people ooh'ing and aaah'ing at rolling high on the procgen tables the same way MMO dorks do, only instead of then using their new shiny to murder demons they're trying to pretend like it makes them Gordon Gecko.

America
Apr 26, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

Your point is more applicable to advertising than to art. The images made for NFTs are better thought of as branding and mascots created to make ventures stand out in a horribly crowded scamscape than as pictures anyone will hang up somewhere and discuss. So yes, NFT images may have something to say about the value of artistic work, but in the same adjacent way that logo design says something about the fine arts.

What I'm saying is that every time someone like McDonalds comes up with 10000 unique variations of their mascot ("Dejected Clowns"?) and does a blockchain with them it helps all of us understand this whole scam better. The inclusion of drawn images is meant to highlight the brand's adjacency to non-advertising art.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I hope these dreams of a Bored Ape Cinematic Universe come true! It's my favorite delusion of these ape morons. Movies! TV shows! Games! Music! Everyone just loves the Bored Apes! We love the Bored Apes so much we've spent tons of money on them and so that means everyone is so interested in my ape!

I mean, who doesn't want to learn about the adventures of well-known characters like... uhhhh....

And who wouldn't want to play a cool dude like.... uhhhh....

And who wouldn't spend $20 on a movie ticket to see a movie about... uhhh...

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

I hate the beanie baby comparison. My mom got me the squirrel when I was in third grade and that guy ruled, as much as a inanimate object could rule. We were using beanie babies to create a village in class. Squirrelguy was 1000 times more aesthetically pleasing than these drat dirty apes. He even came with a poem, which is more artistry and verbal skill than has ever been used in the crypto space.

How could you say that when this exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqjzTt1SHIU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

JonathonSpectre posted:

I mean, who doesn't want to learn about the adventures of well-known characters like... uhhhh....

And who wouldn't want to play a cool dude like.... uhhhh....

And who wouldn't spend $20 on a movie ticket to see a movie about... uhhh...

Oh come, they're so distinct. I'm a huge fun of Eyes Closed Mouth Open Ape With Green Background, myself. Although Eyes Open Mouth Closed Ape With Grey Background can go gently caress himself.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1529217526260830209

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

smellmycheese posted:

I spent last summer filming at a Toy Auction house and there is still a market for Beanie Babies, albeit at much, much lower prices. A lot of them were auctioned in bags of 10

we got this guy, from the late 1990s, for about £10 coupla years ago. he was very helpful in writing Libra Shrugged.

pictured: Inch hitting the sauce, his Ty slightly askew, after checking his shitcoin portfolio

Only registered members can see post attachments!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Lmaoooo holy poo poo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's basically the beanie baby model but with randomisation. The apes I think took off because of both astroturfing and the ugly as gently caress design at least being distinct. But yeah, the rest is fairy farts and ridiculous lies.
:eng101: That's actually the Cabbage Patch model! The gimmick was that each doll was unique because of randomized design: mine has dimples and red hair, yours is scowling and has black hair.

Yes, I am old.

https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1532708771817988096

drk
Jan 16, 2005
They missed a fine opportunity to write "Coinbase rugs job offers"

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

sure was

https://twitter.com/alexisohanian/status/1484169394947334145

also "his black gf" is serena williams

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tarquinn posted:

Someone redo that beanie babies divorce pic with NFTs.

TIA!

already been done somewhere earlier in the thread

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Foo Diddley posted:

Fake but you're thinking of this

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/rt5ftd/aita_for_my_reaction_to_my_fiance_christmas_gift

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Boywhiz88 posted:

already been done somewhere earlier in the thread

I am not surprised.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/acony_belle/status/1532541676757037056

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

I'm confident that the Landlord would have handed over all the profit he made on the bitcoin if it had gone up in price.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The reason all the successful nfts are copy/paste nonsense is that then you have a clearly defined "in" group. If each nft was interesting and distinct no one would be able to tell what flavor of bullshit you bought.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tarquinn posted:

I am not surprised.

i wish i was actually helpful and could find it but this thread is a lot more prolific than i realized

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

JohnCompany posted:

Except that folks like Lawrence Weiner and Sol LeWitt were disaggregating "art" from an individual physical object back in the sixties and seventies. NFTs aren't asking any new questions or advancing that conservation at all. There's nothing but the scam there.

LOL I know that! It's just funny af to assume any good faith and then apply scrutiny to it. It just doesn't hold up from any angle.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

pippy posted:

I'm confident that the Landlord would have handed over all the profit he made on the bitcoin if it had gone up in price.

MA is no joke with the penalties for this, hope the guy gets hung out to dry.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

BUG JUG posted:

MA is no joke with the penalties for this, hope the guy gets hung out to dry.

Can the tenant approach this with anything other than a small claims case? Anything with more bite than a judgment that the debtor just walks away from from behind the corporate veil?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I know she's awful, in every possible way, but I find her genuinely hilarious. Not for the reasons she would want, but all her videos are in the "so bad they're good... uh, so bad they're compelling car crash viewing" category.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1532775164022247425

note that this is only about your more run-of-the-mill investment scams (e.g. people setting up fake investment portals, people saying they'll invest your money and never do, "romance scams," etc), so it's not even counting all the rugpulling and general thievery going on within the crypto space.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Can the tenant approach this with anything other than a small claims case? Anything with more bite than a judgment that the debtor just walks away from from behind the corporate veil?
This could pierce the corporate veil in MA due to how the LL handled it. He put it in a personal investment account.

The op is entitled to, at a minimum, his deposit and 5% interest per year the deposit was held. Normally the LL wouldn't owe the interest because they put it in a standard savings account at a bank and then whatever the bank deposits into the account as interest is what the tenant gets by MA law. Most LLs use a chain bank nearby so that's usually pennies.

This landlord is an unbelievable moron who tried to use his tenant's deposit as a personal investment loan. And instead of covering this up like a reasonable scumbag by returning the deposit in full with no interest, which is pretty common and not something anyone would bother going to court to fight, he tried to pass the losses of this on to the tenant.

also MA does treble damages in cases like this frequently & given the landlord's flagrant breaking of the law and refusal to make the tenant whole the judge will probably award 3x of either the difference or the whole deposit.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 3, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Parkingtigers posted:

I know she's awful, in every possible way, but I find her genuinely hilarious. Not for the reasons she would want, but all her videos are in the "so bad they're good... uh, so bad they're compelling car crash viewing" category.

i wish i could click a button that randomly removes one of her subscribers

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

she is the physical embodiment of "cocaine psychosis"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

somebody should tell her that "open the kimono" is just a figure of speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only good thing about NFTs is the theoretical potential for artists to effortlessly release NFTs and automatically-enforce royalty payments and IP licensing rights. Currently in order for an artist to do that they would likely need to retain a laywer or agent focused in copyright issues, DMCAs, royalty and licensing fees, etc. which means in most cases the artist can't afford a lawyer and is at the behest of the purchaser/licensee's lawyer.

But at the end of the day they do nothing to curb illicit use of artwork, people can still just steal the jpegs. The NFT just makes creation and enforcement of the contract between the artist and the purchaser of whatever IP/character/design automatic. And yeah that's cool, but it comes at the downside of literally every other bit of crypto and blockchain being attached to it. The same exact process could be better fixed by a good ol' fashion centralized web2 marketplace for artists operated by an organization that spun up and enforced those contracts on artists' behalf. In fact several similar platforms already exist, it's just that none of them are good enough for everyone to use and they do nothing to promote the artists' products.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 3, 2022