Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Do you want to address the questions I actually asked you in my post or what's the deal?

I did?

quote:

Because it's in contradiction with itself. Are you saying Germany has sufficiently and efficiently invested in its military but has just not chosen to commit to it's 2%GDP requirement to NATO? How has this undermined NATO more than the other ~16 countries that don't meet their %of GDP spending?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I didn't comment on the GDP thing specifically because I didn't see it as an issue worth talking although others had brought it up. Germany obviously contributes a lot to NATO that other nations don't, like permanently hosting the US military.

quote:

And the "willingly and intentionally sold their future to make themselves dependent on Russian 'fuel'" is just broken as all hell in itself altogether. There have been several posts in here on how the dependence on Russian gas and oil (each for extremely different reasons) came about, I think I may have even reposted an :effort:-post of Cyrano's from the Cold War/Airpower thread in TFR.[

Tiny Timbs posted:

And I'm still not seeing how the post you recommended I read (Kaal's) contradicts my opinion that Germany sold out its energy future to make itself dependent on Russian "fuel." They did that in a lot of ways over the years and the end result is a tie to Russia that has obviously become a huge problem. What specific policies contributed to this is besides the point (and Kaal argues that they were heavily influenced by Russia), the issue is the result.

Were these not your questions? I think your comment about the GDP thing was just a misinterpretation of what I wrote.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

psydude posted:

I pay German and American taxes, so it means I get to poo poo on two countries now.

You absolutely do, but you don't get to incorporate the kink until you only pay German taxes. :quagmire:

quote:

Despite what other people have said, I've encountered absolutely no anti-American sentiment here. Germans want all of the benefits of being a world leader without any of the responsibilities, but they are self aware enough to know that outsourcing their defense policy to a superpower has allowed them to invest heavily in areas other than defense. They have, until recently, pragmatically accepted that this is the cost of doing business.

They also thought they could play both sides of the aisle, so to speak, by outsourcing their energy security to Russia, thinking this would somehow make Putin less likely to cause trouble.

That's not really the story. It's absolutely a failed policy, but read the post from Cyrano i quoted why it failed.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 2, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
anywhoo

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1532429021308506112

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's some five star tech support right there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ajamubaraka/status/1532165603531886593

How dare we help a democratic nation resist invasion and conquest by an imperial autocracy. Why, it's the worst thing we've ever done.

quote:

Two days after the event, Baraka expressed his suspicions that the shootdown of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over Ukraine was a "false flag" operation, saying: "Someone wrote about three weeks ago that we should expect a major false flag operation in eastern Ukraine that's going to be then blamed on the Russians. And that's exactly what has happened.

In May 2014, a month after Boko Haram kidnapped 276 schoolgirls from the northern Nigerian town of Chibok, he expressed skepticism about the official version of events and the number of victims, saying that "even if there was a kidnapping, there's some people who are suggesting that the numbers are in fact inflated."

In a January 2015 essay, Baraka described the Republican march in Paris in reaction to the Charlie Hebdo shooting as a "white power march," and the Je suis Charlie movement in general as an "arrogant rallying cry for white supremacy".

Baraka has described Ta-Nehisi Coates, Beyoncé and Bernie Sanders as "media-driven pseudo-opposition".

In 2016, he was the Green Party nominee for Vice President of the United States

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE TAKE THE GREEN PARTY SERIOUSLY IN AMERICA

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/orangewaldo/status/1532437636425535488

Best response so far.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aw, they blow up grow up so fast :unsmith:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Uncle Enzo posted:

Are there really a ton of legitimate historical parallels to the Russian invasion of Ukraine? A dictator invades a democracy, who then mounts an effective resistance. A country-on-country war I mean, not factions and such.

The Iran-Iraq war maybe?

Why go historical? Yemen is certainly not a democracy, but they are currently in a war (that has involved invasions) with the dictatorships of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, the UAE, Qatar, and Egypt, all of which the US provides military support to.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 2, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What about King George ordering a military crackdown on the obstreperous colonies in the Americas?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gaius Marius posted:

Vichy France. Their point is stupid though. There's logical reasons for Germany and France to drag their feet on everything that don't involve you inventing secret cabals of crypto fascists in every seat of government

I just wanted to work cryptofascists in more as a word but but yah this one. I know France was blitzed and the vichy gov is more complex than just puppet government, but there has been a huge upswing in far right politics and crimes being attributed to foreigners in both countries for the last few years.

With how much the global far right has been cozied up to Russia, it's entirely plausible that there are people intentionally trying to sabotage aid for the benefit of the Russians.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why go historical? Yemen is certainly not a democracy, but they are currently in a war (that has involved invasions) with the dictatorships of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, the UAE, Qatar, and Egypt, all of which the US provides military support to.

Like it or not, the Saudis are aligned with the recognized government, and most of their fighting is against the Iran/North Korea/Hezbollah backed group that is also attacking civilians. The whole thing is a mess, and there aren't any actual "good guys" in this war, but framing the Houthis as "Yemen" is a take.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Godholio posted:

Like it or not, the Saudis are aligned with the recognized government, and most of their fighting is against the Iran/North Korea/Hezbollah backed group that is also attacking civilians. The whole thing is a mess, and there aren't any actual "good guys" in this war, but framing the Houthis as "Yemen" is a take.

The houthis have conquered the capital and the vast majority of the country. If the government wasn't being propped up by the Saudis it would've fallen by now. At that point the question of who's the legitimate government is debatable, and diplomatic recognition isn't the same as de facto rule.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Possession isn't 9/10s. You're not wrong, but it doesn't contradict the Houthis being a lovely combatant in a nasty multi-sided civil war. The government-in-exile has some level of legitimacy and the Houthis have territory.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE TAKE THE GREEN PARTY SERIOUSLY IN AMERICA

It takes real dedication to stupidity to defend Boko Haram.

And that's acknowledging that the Nigerian government is indeed a parade of fuckwits on its best day.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The point is, the US is perfectly comfortable supporting autocracies invading their neighbors. That has never been a defining line for foreign policy and it's disingenuous to frame our (government's) support of Ukraine with that as a motivation.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The point is, the US is perfectly comfortable supporting autocracies invading their neighbors. That has never been a defining line for foreign policy and it's disingenuous to frame our (government's) support of Ukraine with that as a motivation.

I dunno if it's disingenuous, given the capacity for our country to shift positions immediately if the opposition party was to come into power somehow. These decisions aren't made exclusively on the basis of what benefits American foreign policy positions. That they are occurring at all is somewhat miraculous, given the state of the USA.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You're overlooking the fact that supporting Ukraine has overwhelming popular support in the US. Irrespective of the government's stance or true motivations, the average American very much stands behind Ukraine. Meanwhile, the average American probably doesn't even know Yemen is a country.

psydude fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 3, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
CNN: US Cyber Command head says US military hackers have conducted "offensive cyber operations" against Russia in Ukraine

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/02/politics/us-hackers-ukraine-support/index.html

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oooooh, how spicy is that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Russia’s cyberattacks on other countries in the early stages of the war and the US’s admission to cyberattacks on their forces in Ukraine make me think we’ve just had a test on how to treat escalation and all decided everybody gets a lot of room to play before it gets too spicy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Russia’s cyberattacks on other countries in the early stages of the war and the US’s admission to cyberattacks on their forces in Ukraine make me think we’ve just had a test on how to treat escalation and all decided everybody gets a lot of room to play before it gets too spicy.

Don't forget Russia's repeated cyberattacks on the US's Financial, Utility, Logistics, Military, Governmental, and Political IT infrastructure for a decade and a half before the war in Ukraine kicked off.

Excuse me, I meant non-governmental cybercrime syndicates that just happened to be situated within Russia.

Seriously though, Russia has been waging war against the United States for almost the entirety of Putin's reign, it's just never gotten to the level where we wanted to actually do something definitive about it. What we're doing in Ukraine is payback with interest, as well as helping prevent a free people from becoming subjugated. The second part is more important, but the first part feels pretty good, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The article suggests that a lot of these attacks are pretty low-impact, too, though it's funny to imagine we're setting off every Russian's ringtone at full blast like you can do in Rainbow Six: Siege.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
setting off Amber Alerts in Russia telling them to be on the lookout for a 5'3" baby snatching goblin

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Василий, что ето "Амбер Алертъ"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Vasily you rat! You were giving me the spicy ringtone!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A.o.D. posted:

Don't forget Russia's repeated cyberattacks on the US's Financial, Utility, Logistics, Military, Governmental, and Political IT infrastructure for a decade and a half before the war in Ukraine kicked off.

Excuse me, I meant non-governmental cybercrime syndicates that just happened to be situated within Russia.

Seriously though, Russia has been waging war against the United States for almost the entirety of Putin's reign, it's just never gotten to the level where we wanted to actually do something definitive about it.

One of the first cyber espionage operations was an East German who sold to the KGB.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 3, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I can imagine a scenario where the control systems in Russia's oil export terminals and pipeline substations suddenly stop working right around the time the European sanctions are fully phased in around December.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

I can imagine a scenario where the control systems in Russia's oil export terminals and pipeline substations suddenly stop working right around the time the European sanctions are fully phased in around December.

Lmao

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

psydude posted:

I'm pretty sure it will be more widespread than that, but we won't hear about it for a good while :nsa:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comedy option would be siphoning oil payments and sending them to Ukraine.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

psydude posted:

I hope it's sooner, if Biden gets tired of Scholz and Orban loving around.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ah yeah let's crater the German economy that oughta put them more firmly on our side lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

Ah yeah let's crater the German economy that oughta put them more firmly on our side lol

They seem to be good at doing that themselves.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

aphid_licker posted:

Isn't that what Germany did to Greece, Portugal and Spain for the bad choices they have made in the past?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Germany: gently caress around and find out round 2!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somaen posted:

Isn't that what Germany did to Greece, Portugal and Spain for the bad choices they have made in the past?

I think what ails the Germans is fiscal irresponsibility. I prescribe two years of austerity.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

aphid_licker posted:

Germany currently has enough gas storage to last six months, and about half of its gas imports don't come from Russia. Economists estimate that the GDP impact of halting fossil fuel imports would be around two percent, and significant government intervention could reduce that to only half a percent. There's good solutions available for residential heating and energy, industrial combined heat and power, and commercial applications (one of the biggest complainers is a German company that converts gas into fertilizer and pesticide, and doesn't want to increase their costs by using synthetic ammonia). The only real economic hazard comes from the government waiting until the last possible moment until they are forced into action - which of course is exactly what Scholz is doing.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/05/31/olaf-scholzs-dithering-is-damaging-germanys-international-image

https://www.politico.eu/article/olaf-scholz-kaiser-complex-ukraine-lurch/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 3, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kaal posted:

Germany currently has enough gas storage to last six months, and about half of its gas imports don't come from Russia. Economists estimate that the GDP impact of halting fossil fuel imports would be around two percent, and significant government intervention could reduce that to only half a percent. There's good solutions available for residential heating and energy, industrial combined heat and power, and commercial applications (one of the biggest complainers is a German company that converts gas into fertilizer and pesticide, and doesn't want to increase their costs by using synthetic ammonia). The only real economic hazard comes from the government waiting until the last possible moment until they are forced into action - which of course is exactly what Scholz is doing.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/05/31/olaf-scholzs-dithering-is-damaging-germanys-international-image

https://www.politico.eu/article/olaf-scholz-kaiser-complex-ukraine-lurch/

Other economists said that that estimate is bs and I seriously don't think we confidently know what happens when you cut out half of industrial process heat. It'd be p sketchy. And increasing cost is, well, cost.

Somaen posted:

Yeah and looking at Greek public opinion on Germany and the EU exactly what you'd expect happened as a result

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah and looking at Greek public opinion on Germany and the EU exactly what you'd expect happened as a result

Yes but the crime of greeks was having high pensions that Germany destroyed them for. Now we can't have germans paying more for gas or what, they'll start paying money to a fascist dictatorship that's bombing and invading a country and threatening other european countries? Sounds like germans need to be put in their place for their bad choices in life and not listening to people telling you that you need LNG terminals and that Russia uses energy as a weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Somaen posted:

Yes but the crime of greeks was having high pensions that Germany destroyed them for. Now we can't have germans paying more for gas or what, they'll start paying money to a fascist dictatorship that's bombing and invading a country and threatening other european countries? Sounds like germans need to be put in their place for their bad choices in life and not listening to people telling you that you need LNG terminals and that Russia uses energy as a weapon

Putting people into their place tends to make them mad at you and the greeks paid for the crime of getting into a situation where they became dependent on other people's opinions on their national spending