Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

tgacon posted:

I think it is also a function of our highest-profile assassin--John Wilkes Booth--basically getting everything he could have hoped for out of killing Lincoln

By handing power to an anti-reconstruction Democrat, thus ensuring the South stayed a festering wound on the country, one could make a convincing argument that JWB effectively put the country on a path that will eventually destroy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Total Party Kill posted:

By handing power to an anti-reconstruction Democrat, thus ensuring the South stayed a festering wound on the country, one could make a convincing argument that JWB effectively put the country on a path that will eventually destroy it.

JB: "I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood."

JWB: ight, imma head out

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

tgacon posted:

I think it is also a function of our highest-profile assassin--John Wilkes Booth--basically getting everything he could have hoped for out of killing Lincoln

We need to be teaching people instead that Hinckley never got his girl.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

We need to be teaching people instead that Hinckley never got his girl.

On the other hand, he is now playing to sold-out venues on his comeback tour:

https://www.newsweek.com/john-hinckley-jr-brooklyn-concert-sold-out-1697693

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnHinckley20/status/1532114211438051329

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cranappleberry posted:

propaganda works. It really, really does. It's incredibly effective and add that into the new media environment on social media, designed to drive engagement (and making people upset/angry is the best way to drive it), one that human minds are susceptible to, and there you have it.

Yep.

I keep emphasizing this when the subject of messaging comes up as a glaring weak spot in the DNC's game. Another nicer word for it is simply "advertising". There's a loving reason McDonalds, Coke and Budweiser spend loving millions on Super Bowl ads every year even though everyone know what a Big Mac pr a Bud Light is. It's repetition, word association and branding that drills its way into your head whether you want it to or not.

I saw an American Flag decorated case of Budweiser last weekend even though their company isn't owned in the US. It said it was "brewed and canned in the USA" and I'm not even sure about that either but they print on the box. The overall effect is that Budweiser is the king of American Beers that real patriots drink and that knifes its way into people's brains.

Most everything the Democrats do seems to come with a needlessly complicated explanation attached to it. That's not how advertising or messaging works and it's where people tune out. Typically computer ads don't dig too deep in technical specs (some of the print ones do but those are targeted at the geek and gamer audience). They just show happy people making slideshows with their kids in them, balancing their checkbooks and watching movies seamlessly at the touch of a button. It's frustrating because good leftist policies are generally self explanatory and should write their message inherently since they're based on truth and simple facts.

Not even going to get into "Defund the Police" but will mention Hillary's "I'm With HER" slogan when "She's With US" was right there and you can also make "US" into "U.S." with two little periods (shaped like stars if you want to).

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Turns out there's not billions in profit to be made with left wing media empires broadcasting messages based in reality and proposing to actually fix things.

Right wing fear mongering and encouraging hatred of any given targeted minority out group sure is profitable though. Gets lots of eyeballs and those delicious clicky clickies for ad revenue.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Yep.

I keep emphasizing this when the subject of messaging comes up as a glaring weak spot in the DNC's game. Another nicer word for it is simply "advertising". There's a loving reason McDonalds, Coke and Budweiser spend loving millions on Super Bowl ads every year even though everyone know what a Big Mac pr a Bud Light is. It's repetition, word association and branding that drills its way into your head whether you want it to or not.

I saw an American Flag decorated case of Budweiser last weekend even though their company isn't owned in the US. It said it was "brewed and canned in the USA" and I'm not even sure about that either but they print on the box. The overall effect is that Budweiser is the king of American Beers that real patriots drink and that knifes its way into people's brains.

Most everything the Democrats do seems to come with a needlessly complicated explanation attached to it. That's not how advertising or messaging works and it's where people tune out. Typically computer ads don't dig too deep in technical specs (some of the print ones do but those are targeted at the geek and gamer audience). They just show happy people making slideshows with their kids in them, balancing their checkbooks and watching movies seamlessly at the touch of a button. It's frustrating because good leftist policies are generally self explanatory and should write their message inherently since they're based on truth and simple facts.

Not even going to get into "Defund the Police" but will mention Hillary's "I'm With HER" slogan when "She's With US" was right there and you can also make "US" into "U.S." with two little periods (shaped like stars if you want to).

part of it is also obfuscation. It's anchoring ideas in the psyche or connecting ideas that might actually be totally unrelated except in the context that is established by the propaganda. Ideas or concepts like beer and sexuality or grooming children and a teacher explaining "some people have two dads and that's okay" but it's explained by a much more sinister and also false narrative.

The democrats also obfuscate. Their explanations are designed to explain in important-sounding terms why they can't actually do something the people they represent want. Often times things that conflict with what other groups want but also often times things that conflict with what their donors want. They're still bad at messaging but they know there is a group that will buy this explanation and use it both as justification and explanation. These don't necessarily appeal to the "lizard brain" or guts of most voters. They appeal to stans or political grognards. To most gut-feeling voters they appear to be the excuses they often are.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cranappleberry posted:

part of it is also obfuscation. It's anchoring ideas in the psyche or connecting ideas that might actually be totally unrelated except in the context that is established by the propaganda. Ideas or concepts like beer and sexuality or grooming children and a teacher explaining "some people have two dads and that's okay" but it's explained by a much more sinister and also false narrative.

The democrats also obfuscate. Their explanations are designed to explain in important-sounding terms why they can't actually do something the people they represent want. Often times things that conflict with what other groups want but also often times things that conflict with what their donors want. They're still bad at messaging but they know there is a group that will buy this explanation and use it both as justification and explanation. These don't necessarily appeal to the "lizard brain" or guts of most voters. They appeal to stans or political grognards. To most gut-feeling voters they appear to be the excuses they often are.
Accurately understanding the motivations of Dem messaging is one place where gut feeling (or even better, materialist analysis) works better than galaxy-brain wonk think.

In other words, don't get caught up in :umberto:.

Dems would get more votes if they at least tried to appeal to voter's guts, but that would also mean occasionally doing meaningful things.

edit:
I think a better way to put that is that Dems (and insulated DC freaks in general) have been getting high off their own supply for too long. There's a reason why "inside the beltway" is such a cliche. I see that kind of out-of-touch thinking all the time from friends of mine in DC. Good people, but they really don't understand what's going on in the real world, and don't even have the mental tools to do so. Case in point, this article:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/02/politics/joe-biden-messaging-struggles/

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 3, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
huh

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1532750834156679170

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He must have known something was coming because he was all over TV yesterday melting down on anyone who would give him airtime's shows.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Yep.

The beer is indeed brewed and canned in the US, there's a factory in St. Louis that does quite a lot of it. But Anhauser-Bush got hostile taken over by InBev, and was a big enough transaction that resulting company had to chop something off to get around anti-trust laws. The company is now known as AmInBev S/V and owns over 400 brands of beer. The company is based out of Belgium.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They are claiming that it was sealed 'until Navarro was arrested':

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1532757866507079680?s=20&t=cFiY0iubH8Tfst0krtLE3w

Was he actually arrested?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CommieGIR posted:

They are claiming that it was sealed 'until Navarro was arrested':

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1532757866507079680?s=20&t=cFiY0iubH8Tfst0krtLE3w

Was he actually arrested?

edit:

he's been arrested
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1532763662318022656

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 3, 2022

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lib and let die posted:

JB: "I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood."

JWB: ight, imma head out

I won a 1800's Silver Dollar in Elementary School by knowing JWB was at the hanging of JB (this was in the 1960's).

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

I'm allowing myself to be happy about this for five to ten minutes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jurney v. MacCracken, motherfuckers! yessss! Sorry, I love that case. The whole air mail scandal's a hoot, and the mechanism of inherent contempt is so bizzare. I wonder where they're holding him.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Didn't he say he would risk going to jail thinking that he doesn't need to speak up unless explicitly permitted by Trump?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CmdrRiker posted:

Didn't he say he would risk going to jail thinking that he doesn't need to speak up unless explicitly permitted by Trump?

Yes. But by that seem metric, he also said in about as many words “Here is the complete outline of my plan to steal the 2020 election to keep Donald Trump in power illegally, which the President has fully signed off on… OH SHI—“ into multiple live broadcasting and recording television cameras.

In a just world, he would be turbofucked. But this is reality and it is America so this just a temporary unplanned vacation for him paid for by the US DOJ.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

BiggerBoat posted:

Comlicated explanations are a symptom of compromised policy.

It's easy to say "we're giving you heatlhcare" but since they're not, it's complicated.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alex Pareene has a good, short article pointing out that the government's complete inability and unwillingness to solve problems could lead to the general public deciding that democracy is not a good or desirable form of government. We talk about people not voting because they think it doesn't matter, but if people really think that democracy is incapable of improving their lives, something like a "one man, one vote, one time" pitch gets a lot more attractive.

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1529456969643446273?s=20&t=fNSpoT6e8Y1LsUHaODfHlQ

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jaxyon posted:

Comlicated explanations are a symptom of compromised policy.

It's easy to say "we're giving you heatlhcare" but since they're not, it's complicated.

Excellent point and a great example.

We'll call it...the AFFORDABLE* Care Act.

*Now here's why it's not affordable and entirely an Act.

Sorry. It was just the best we can do but, hey, it's a start, right?

Now please send us money. Old Gil really needs this one, boy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Alex Pareene has a good, short article pointing out that the government's complete inability and unwillingness to solve problems could lead to the general public deciding that democracy is not a good or desirable form of government. We talk about people not voting because they think it doesn't matter, but if people really think that democracy is incapable of improving their lives, something like a "one man, one vote, one time" pitch gets a lot more attractive.

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1529456969643446273?s=20&t=fNSpoT6e8Y1LsUHaODfHlQ

"Well, people are being rounded up and imprisoned for being immigrants or getting abortions, but legislation is actually passing, so it's impossible to say if this is good or bad" - 40% of Americans

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"Well, people are being rounded up and imprisoned for being immigrants or getting abortions, but legislation is actually passing, so it's impossible to say if this is good or bad" - 40% of Americans

The only 40 percent of Americans mentioned in that piece are under-30s who still approve of Joe Biden.

Is that what you meant, or are you referring to something else in Parene's piece?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sodomy Hussein posted:

That's kinda the deal fascism makes with it's supporters. "Give us political power, we'll use that power to hurt the targeted out group that we've convinced you are the cause of your problems."

That's what makes Trump's base so cultishly devoted to him. For, like, 60 years now the general population of the U.S. has gotten nothing, politically speaking, from their elected officials. Voters don't get fired up and enthusiastic about tax cuts for the 1%, deregulation, and more money for the military industrial complex but that has been the only thing on the table from both parties. It's been endless gaslighting, politician speak, and bullshit for generations.

When the fascists come along and promise they'll hurt the 'right' people, well, gently caress it, nobody else is offering them anything. Might as well go with spite and anger to hurt the 'other'. At least they're getting something they want out of the deal.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Louie Gohmert worried that Republicans can’t even lie to the FBI anymore since they’ll get arrested.

https://twitter.com/jasonscampbell/status/1532776813692342272?s=21&t=mOZe5xc8XQUx1wg9qSaMng

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sodomy Hussein posted:

If someone with any amount of credibility, and I know it's hard to think of one these days so let's just say Dwayne Johnson, if Dwayne Johnson ran for election in 2024 as an independent with the platform of "If elected I will immediately declare a state of emergency, dissolve Congress, and rule by executive order until this country is set right and people can live without fear and with faith in the future?" what counterarguments would the Republicans and Democrats be able to mount against that?

Remember, things are only going to get worse. After two more years of school shootings, two more years of rising house prices, two more years of rising food prices. If that's not enough, what about in 6 years? How much longer can things keep getting worse before people will be willing to take a chance at a different political system?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

Louie Gohmert worried that Republicans can’t even lie to the FBI anymore since they’ll get arrested.

https://twitter.com/jasonscampbell/status/1532776813692342272?s=21&t=mOZe5xc8XQUx1wg9qSaMng

Louie is very smart

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/03/more-than-20-gopers-pleaded-trump-do-more-jan-6/

Here's an accounting of Republicans that we know called the White House on January 6, alarmed that the president was causing and doing nothing to stop a riot in congress. Most of these have tried to minimize and lie about it in public since. Sure was a fun 48 hours before they all just lined up and declared him president-in-exile.

quote:

Members of Congress

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.): “I was very clear with the president when I called him: This has to stop, and he has to go to the American public and tell them to stop this.” (Interview with CBS News) “The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding.” (Speech on House floor)

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio): On a phone call, he “implored Trump to tell his supporters to stand down,” according to Politico.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.): Joined Jordan in that plea on the same phone call, per Politico.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.): “Please tell the President to calm people This isn’t the way to solve anything.” (Text to Meadows, 2:28 p.m.)

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.): “You are not protecting the country. Where is the DC guard? You are done and your legacy will be a disaster.” (Tweet, 2:38 p.m.)

Rep. Will Timmons (R-S.C.): “The president needs to stop this ASAP” (Text to Meadows, 2:46 p.m.)

Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.): “POTUS needs to calm this s--- down” (Text to Meadows, 3:04 p.m.)

Rep. Chip Roy (R-Tex.): “Fix this now. (Text to Meadows, 3:15 p.m.)

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.): “Good that Trump denounces violence but could add & well demand justice for those who became violent …” (Text to Meadows, 3:57 p.m.)

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.): "@realDonaldTrump please appear on TV, condemn the violence and tell people to disband.” (Tweet, 4:03 p.m.)

Rep. Jamie Herrera Beutler (R-Wash.): “We need to hear from the president. On TV. I hate that Biden jumped him on it.” (Text to Meadows, 4:15 p.m.)

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Tex.): “I wanted everybody who is objecting, I want the president, I wanted everybody out in front of those protestors as they were storming the capitol to be there and say stop.” (Fox News appearance, 6:32 p.m.)

Other prominent Republicans
Donald Trump Jr.: “He’s got to condem this s---. Asap. The captiol police tweet is not enough. … We need an oval address. He has to lead now. It’s gone too far and gotten out of hand.” (Texts to Meadows, 2:53 p.m.-4:05 p.m.) (The misspellings were in the texts.)

Former congressman Raúl R. Labrador (R-Idaho): “You guys need to get Trump to say something to calm down the people, a tweet is not enough. This is crazy.” (Text to Meadows, 3:57 p.m.)

Current and former Trump aides
Ex-White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney: “Mark: he needs to stop this, now. Can I do anything to help?” (Text to Meadows, 2:35 p.m.) (Also tweeted calling for an Oval Office address at 4:07 p.m.)

Ex-White House chief of staff Reince Priebus: “TELL THEM TO GO HOME !!!” (Text to Meadows, 3:09 p.m.)

Ex-Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price: “POTUS should go on air and defuse this. Extremely important.” (Text to Meadows, 3:13 p.m.)

Spokeswoman Alyssa Farah Griffin: “Condemn this now, @realDonaldTrump — you are the only one they will listen to. For our country!” (Tweet at 2:54 p.m.) “Potus has to come out firmly and tell protestors to dissipate. Someone is going to get killed.” (Text to Meadows, 3:13 p.m.)

Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie: “I’ve been spending the last 25 minutes or so trying to get the president on the phone myself to say this to him directly. … The president caused this protest to occur. He’s the only one that can make it stop. … What the president said is not good enough.” (Interview on ABC News, shortly before 4 p.m.)

Fox News hosts
Laura Ingraham: “Hey Mark, The president needs to tell people in the Capitol to go home. … This is hurting all of us. … He is destroying his legacy and playing into every stereotype.” (Text to Meadows, 2:32-33 p.m.)

Sean Hannity: “Can he make a statement. I saw the tweet. Ask people to peacefully leave the capital” (Text to Meadows, 3:31 p.m.)

Brian Kilmeade: “Please get him on tv. Destroying every thing you guys have accomplished” (Text to Meadows, 3:58 p.m.)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

If someone with any amount of credibility, and I know it's hard to think of one these days so let's just say Dwayne Johnson, if Dwayne Johnson ran for election in 2024 as an independent with the platform of "If elected I will immediately declare a state of emergency, dissolve Congress, and rule by executive order until this country is set right and people can live without fear and with faith in the future?" what counterarguments would the Republicans and Democrats be able to mount against that?

Remember, things are only going to get worse. After two more years of school shootings, two more years of rising house prices, two more years of rising food prices. If that's not enough, what about in 6 years? How much longer can things keep getting worse before people will be willing to take a chance at a different political system?

The Republicans would immediately draft Johnson into their primary because the chuds would be howling for it. They don't need a counterargument because The Rock says he's going to enact their ultimate goals

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Louie is very smart

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/03/more-than-20-gopers-pleaded-trump-do-more-jan-6/

Here's an accounting of Republicans that we know called the White House on January 6, alarmed that the president was causing and doing nothing to stop a riot in congress. Most of these have tried to minimize and lie about it in public since. Sure was a fun 48 hours before they all just lined up and declared him president-in-exile.
And they will all will continue to experience no real consequences for their hypocrisy on this and many other issues. The Jan. 6 commission is really a joke, as the celebration of the indictment of this comparative nobody shows.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Louie is very smart

Kind of fascinating to see them realize/decide in real time that their only way out is through and to just start doubling down

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

As someone from Washington State, that has seen Walking Tall, and a wrestling fan; this puts me in an uncomfortable position.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

BlueBlazer posted:

As someone from Washington State, that has seen Walking Tall, and a wrestling fan; this puts me in an uncomfortable position.

I'd vote for Corporate Heel Rock if he cut promos every time he got in front of a microphone. I bet Mick Foley would too

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

I'd vote for Corporate Heel Rock if he cut promos every time he got in front of a microphone. I bet Mick Foley would too

President Komacho was both a model citizen and politician.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Going to go with my unpopular opinion that it should not be illegal to lie to law enforcement until you are on the stand.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BlueBlazer posted:

President Komacho was both a model citizen and politician.
Joe Biden has never once given the plants what they crave.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Joe Biden has never once given the plants what they crave.

Probably just pours water on them, like out of the toilet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

Going to go with my unpopular opinion that it should not be illegal to lie to law enforcement until you are on the stand.

I like the idea of "admitting" to like twenty different crimes when picked up then when you get to court going "lol no obviously I didn't chop him up, are you serious"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
McCormick has just conceded to Oz in the PA race, meaning it's Oz vs Fetterman in the general. I expect a lot of media attention on that race.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

selec posted:

what's the advantage over invoking one's right to silence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

McCormick has just conceded to Oz in the PA race, meaning it's Oz vs Fetterman in the general. I expect a lot of media attention on that race.

Fetterman's cardiologist was talking about the stroke he had a while back and casually dropped that fetterman also has cardiomyopathy