Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i don't think morikawa is shying away from criticizing kamogawa at all. within recent chapters, we had a pretty explicit on-screen example of a coach being somewhat deliberately lovely, who we are still meant to empathize with and generally support. i think it's fully meant to be shown here that kamogawa and ippo's relationship, while great in many respect, has some major flaws which are fed into by both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

by the way - this is without question the best shonen training arc i think ever. i've never thought a powerup felt more deserved than this for ippo, he's somehow married together ippo's emotional growth with his technical really perfectly

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
yeah i been enjoying the glimpses here and there ippo is actually improving. Also p good chapter. i wonder how ippo is gonna talk himself outta this one

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Shindragon posted:

yeah i been enjoying the glimpses here and there ippo is actually improving. Also p good chapter. i wonder how ippo is gonna talk himself outta this one

he gets bodied by Volg in the spar and thinks "wow i still have a long way to go!!!"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ They might just not be good programmers. I'm a bad programmer who knows all the right ideas, but in practice stuff always goes wrong (because I just don't have the ability to execute those ideas). I'll always tell myself "I'm going to do things right this time" before starting some new task, only for things to inevitably go off the rails.

The Ruby Rails? :smuggo:

But I very much feel this. Last time I had to number a bunch of files, I said to myself 'TND, this time you're finally going to figure out how to have padded zeros without BASH interpreting them as octal numbers!'. But an hour later I was back to my old bullshit of just if/then'ing how big the count was and manually putting zeros in front of it :smith:

tbp posted:

by the way - this is without question the best shonen training arc i think ever. i've never thought a powerup felt more deserved than this for ippo, he's somehow married together ippo's emotional growth with his technical really perfectly

:hmmyes: It was frustrating watching him flail around for decades against endless title defenses, but with that foundation it's completely believable that he would accidentally teach himself how to counter just by not getting punched in the head and training his rookies.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i like that it's sorta addressing his big mental barrier of lionizing his opponents literally without fail, to the point of overlooking any flaws he could exploit. training total noobs makes him have to recognize the weakness in the boxers in front of him, and you can see that growth particularly when he tells the coach he had a mental simulation where he was able to get to ricardo. old ippo could never do that

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ippo snapped (in a good way) after smacking the poo poo out of that kid some hundred or so chapters ago and now he's on the right track to success

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

Well it could be, it's slow and subtle and believable and well written, but it depends on what Ippo does in the ring when he gets back. If it's the same old bullrush style as before and none of the learnings stick then eh...

I'm also worried it could end up that Ippo has improved massively, but once in the ring his opponents are also stronger and the end result is the same panic tactic of betting it all on one hit as before.

Basically any outcome where his matches play out the same way as before would be at serious risk of feeling like a gigantic waste of time.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Ippo's love language is going to get him arrested on domestic violence charges, which the judge will then dismiss because of his yamato damashii.

sorry, what the gently caress buddy

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

well that's a pretty lightweight wtf coming from the forum that brought us stuff like axemaniac's female torture sketches

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bisse posted:

Well it could be, it's slow and subtle and believable and well written, but it depends on what Ippo does in the ring when he gets back. If it's the same old bullrush style as before and none of the learnings stick then eh...

I'm also worried it could end up that Ippo has improved massively, but once in the ring his opponents are also stronger and the end result is the same panic tactic of betting it all on one hit as before.

Basically any outcome where his matches play out the same way as before would be at serious risk of feeling like a gigantic waste of time.

i have enough faith in morikawa to think that it'll translate well when ippo returns to active boxing. this entire arc has been very solid in my opinion, he took a big gamble in the format he's writing in and i think it's paid off really well.

hni as a series has some of the highest highs in shonen i've ever read, and while there's a entire long-running-manga-sized hole in terms of a lack of quality in the late middle bits, i do trust that we can reach prior form

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The earlier format of his growth will be much easier to replicate with his return to the ring. The long running story up to his retirement was he'd become very specialized and narrow minded in his approach. He stopped learning new tricks (half the fun of his early run was seeing a new technique he'd been developing come to fruition and how he'd employ a strategy with coach to use it) which basically fell off after the Dempsey Roll and the perfected version we never even got to see because he was too stubborn about it.

Having him return and being able to actually showcase all these things he's picked up I think would provide that same spark the early matches did. Ippo the Boxer (his own style/approach) will be cool to see since mostly what we saw before was Ippo being coach's boxer not really his own.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1382

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1383
Wally is a blue mage now but is still walking on the ropes and poo poo. It would be funny if during the fight Richardo is just starting not to get bored during a match and BAM, Wally is DQ'd fight ends.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ricardo is probably gonna break out in laughter. Just a vibe I get.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

gently caress that cliffhanger

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ricardo will realize that the problem all along has been that boxing's rules make it boring, and he enjoys fighting Wally because he breaks those rules. He leaves to join UFC.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kumi will burst into the gym in dead eyed stare all save for Ippo will be terrified and beg for forgiveness, then Kumi will drag Ippo out and dead eye mutter about him getting her some Tacos al Pastor.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
oh my god i just had the stupidest idea

what if ippo boxing again magically restores kamoagawa's vitality?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
gah that cliffhanger

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Ippo is going full Rock Lee and dropping the weights.

Which is fitting, cos Woli apparently has the Sharingan now.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Ippo is going full Rock Lee and dropping the weights.

Which is fitting, cos Woli apparently has the Sharingan now.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

God Woli sucks so much with all this bullshit he can do and I am praying that Ricardo just destroys him.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Monaghan posted:

God Woli sucks so much with all this bullshit he can do and I am praying that Ricardo just destroys him.
Sign that we are in the Bad universe: Woli wins, becomes new world champion, Ippo dedicates his life to get in the ring and love-tap his abs again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Look Woli gained his abilities because he has extensive experience....uh, climbing coconut trees

Normally Ippo is relatively decent with the non-Japanese characters, but it goes pretty bonkers racist with Woli in a "noble savage" way.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

was thinking mori had a chance to save woli's character but doesn't really seem like he's super interested in that lol

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
woli is still super punch out level of stupid

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

was thinking mori had a chance to save woli's character but doesn't really seem like he's super interested in that lol

Have Ricardo destroy him so he never boxes again and all is forgiven

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

yeah i do kinda think and hope that there's a huge metanarrative fakeout attempt going on

all the characters are saying woli has no chance which leads the reader to believe that he DOES have a chance, especially when we see all his wacky moves against sendo

only for ricardo to just throw some pinpoint accurate jabs into his face and then beat him into the ground

weirdly i like woli's motivation, the environmentalism is a sick goal and it gives good reason for him to want to become the champ, which stands in nice contrast to ippo, but i just really can't get over his stupid loving fighting style

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You don't have to apologize for wanting to see Woli get destroyed. The alternative is too terrible to imaginw.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I think we'll see Ricardo be pushed enough that he reverts to his original fighting style, and then lament at the end of the match that he just broke a promising young boxer who finally gave him some excitement.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

TaurusOxford posted:

I think we'll see Ricardo be pushed enough that he reverts to his original fighting style, and then lament at the end of the match that he just broke a promising young boxer who finally gave him some excitement.

Nah, I want Ricardo to destroy Woli and just think that it was a really stupid match.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Weird, I regretted it every other time I ended someone's career. :shrug:"

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1384

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
:sickos:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

its been a long time since ippo went on a break week and i went "no!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:eyepop:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

God I love how stupid Ippo is. :allears:

Gotta Help Gotta Help Gotta Help Gotta Help Gotta Help Gotta Help Gotta Help Gotta Help Gotta Help Gotta Help

Smash cut to Volg being pasted on the floor, Ippo being so tunnel focused on helping is going to seriously injure Volg :laffo:

I do like how even Sendo just wanted to be attentive and see where Ippo is at after all this time

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Ok Ippo, it's time to parry or dodge that. PARRY OR DODGE THAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Adnor posted:

Ok Ippo, it's time to parry or dodge that. PARRY OR DODGE THAT

he's surrounded by actually competent coaches this time so he's going to demolish the white fang