Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

e-sports is easy, that just becomes é-sports. Streaming...how about ruisselage?

Those were freebies, contact me for more (paid) high-quality translations, French government people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's because English is an ugly language, OP.

That's because we stole half of it from French :fsmug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

I will never grokk the French's weird obsession with keeping their language "pure". I had a Francophile friend attempt to explain it but after a few words they just started sounding like an adult on Charlie Brown.

It's like seeing god drat fnord in text.

It's a fascist impulse towards cultural purity l, the nazis tried that too, including replacing 'banana' with 'tube apple'

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The French Academy goes back to Richelieu. Probably part of his ongoing project to create the centralized French state from disparate regions that didn't speak the same language.
Whether that was a good plan is another question.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

citybeatnik posted:

I will never grokk the French's weird obsession with keeping their language "pure". I had a Francophile friend attempt to explain it but after a few words they just started sounding like an adult on Charlie Brown.

It's like seeing god drat fnord in text.

The French (or least the government) are obsessed with maintaining the purity of French culture against foreign influence.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

christmas boots posted:

The French (or least the government) are obsessed with maintaining the purity of French culture against foreign influence.

I'm sure they're just as respectful of other cultures purity too. Not going to check if this is true, just going to vibe with it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inceltown posted:

I'm sure they're just as respectful of other cultures purity too. Not going to check if this is true, just going to vibe with it.

Interesting fact: France still has colonies. Not sure why I felt the need to mention that here.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Interesting fact: France still has colonies. Not sure why I felt the need to mention that here.

Seems wildly unrelated yeah weird

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tunicate posted:

l, the nazis tried that too,

Mods? :ohdear:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

By popular demand posted:

On one hand this person is worried for the health of the grandchildren

that’s not how it’s coming off to me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I can't believe Tunicate was all the nazis

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

one goon in a hundred thousand Hugo Boss trenchcoats

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Please, like any goon could dress that well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cultural Purity I is the first of the cultural purity techs, there are 13 more in the tech tree.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cultural purity sounds bad, but what about cultural independence?

USA is more powerful than god. Powerful enough to rewrite history. Hollywood can make a movie about any war, and replace the original heroes for USA soldiers. And that works for the general people.

USA is powerful enough to shape Language, Laws and customs. Get that Uber to your Tinder date in MacDonalds next to the Tower Eiffel.

Basically USA colonize other countries withouth having to put a foot in them, just with soft power.

France is evil ...but they have a point when they defend their culture from getting colonized by USA.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
My mother is French, and when she and the rest of my French family members hear that l'Académie Française (who I assume is responsible for this one) has banned some new foreign word, they go "Oh, interesting," and then go right back to saying "squeezer" and "faire du jogging." I assume most French people are the same.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Lady Disdain posted:

My mother is French, and when she and the rest of my French family members hear that l'Académie Française (who I assume is responsible for this one) has banned some new foreign word, they go "Oh, interesting," and then go right back to saying "squeezer" and "faire du jogging." I assume most French people are the same.

I never encounter the word “courriel” anywhere but on French and Québec government websites. Otherwise, <<envoyez-moi un email>> or <<envoyez-moi un mail>> or <<écrivez-moi à {email address}>>.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's the Académie française's entire raison d'être (:v:), and as someone who is not francophone yet deals with the language from time to time I don't actually mind too much, nor do I think it's crypto-fascist as some people are hyperbolically suggesting. The question is just, where do you draw the line, and how far back are you willing to go? Despite it obviously being a Romance language, many common French words (such as guerre, which is etymologically related to 'war') started out as Germanic loanwords (in most cases borrowed from the eponymous Franks). It's going to be tough purging those.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tei posted:

USA is more powerful than god.

No, we are not.

quote:

Powerful enough to rewrite history. Hollywood can make a movie about any war, and replace the original heroes for USA soldiers. And that works for the general people.

For every movie about history where some dumb American takes over for the historical figure (for example, the execrable movie U-571 which ripped off the actual story of Britain's capture of U-110, not to mention the US Navy's equally dramatic capture of U-505) there come pages and pages of rebuttals from whichever country Hollywood has tried to steal history from. In some cases it happens even when a particular movie has nothing whatsoever to do with rewriting another country's history. IIRC Saving Private Ryan provoked a furious response from British pundits because one of the American soldiers in the film dared make a crack about British war hero Bernard Montgomery, never mind that Americans joking about Monty was an actual historical phenomenon and the entire narrative of the film took place in the American sector of Normandy during the week or so after D-Day.

It's perfectly fine to mock and criticize Hollywood films for flattening history in order to tell rah rah USA USA bullshit stories but lets not pretend it changes the actual history of the events. Do the stupid and credulous fall for it? Of course. But if we regulated everything so that only of the dumbest of the dumb would be fooled by fiction there'd be very little for people to read beyond the level of "a cow goes moo".

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Counterpoint

https://www.vox.com/2014/6/16/5814270/the-successful-70-year-campaign-to-convince-people-the-usa-and-not

American movies and media absolutely work as propaganda.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe the soviets should have released their world war 2 movies in the west

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

At least with the Vatican attempting to figure out how to translate "computer" into Latin they admit that it's a dead language.

The French attempting to put a collar on a living language is just something I can't grokk. But then my native tongue happily snatches whatever words that are laying about in an effort to get them to fit.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's perfectly fine to mock and criticize Hollywood films for flattening history in order to tell rah rah USA USA bullshit stories but lets not pretend it changes the actual history of the events. Do the stupid and credulous fall for it? Of course. But if we regulated everything so that only of the dumbest of the dumb would be fooled by fiction there'd be very little for people to read beyond the level of "a cow goes moo".

This would be a much stronger argument if the impact of US presidential elections wasn't what it was. We need to deal with the idiots dude

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Alaois posted:

maybe the soviets should have released their world war 2 movies in the west

I heard this one is good, but I have not watched it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Ivan's Childhood (Ива́ново де́тств) is a really great film, imo. Not at all in the style of American propaganda films, though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

The French attempting to put a collar on a living language is just something I can't grokk. But then my native tongue happily snatches whatever words that are laying about in an effort to get them to fit.

Honestly it just seems like the same thing that happens in nearly every language.
A couple older people whine and gripe about how their language which has always changed and evolved and grabbed loanwords should stop doing that immediately.
It's the kind of thing that comes up in articles every now and then, and will keep on cropping up forever, just as it has been cropping up for ages in the past.

I used to do a couple research projects with people in academia and ugh.
It's always fun when you do a project with some older people, and someone loving grinds a meeting to a halt with 'But what would a norwegian version of this term be?'.
Because stuff like realtime rendering and VR is completely chock full of/almost exclusively english loanwords.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Tei posted:

It’s amazing. It is pretty much the only truly pacifist war movie. I showed it to my friends and they were physically sick about an hour in, we had to stop watching. Do yourself a favor and see it. There is nothing else like it. It makes Schindler’s List look like a fun romp.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SubNat posted:

Honestly it just seems like the same thing that happens in nearly every language.
A couple older people whine and gripe about how their language which has always changed and evolved and grabbed loanwords should stop doing that immediately.
It's the kind of thing that comes up in articles every now and then, and will keep on cropping up forever, just as it has been cropping up for ages in the past.
Most languages do not have an official government department for putting that collar on though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

Yeah, that's usually how it goes. Germany has a similar club for the "preservation of the German language" (though without any official recognition), and except for the crustiest boomers nobody really pays them any mind and will continue to say things like "gedowngeloadet". More recently they've been trying really hard to get into a culture war going about gender-neutral terms, but even that's not really finding much purchase outside of their bubble.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Tei posted:

The only Soviet film people on the internet have seen

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

That's not true

The internet loves MST3K

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if you polled China, they'd probably tell you that one Yugoslavian dude named Walter won WW2 in Europe by himself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alaois posted:

if you polled China, they'd probably tell you that one Yugoslavian dude named Walter won WW2 in Europe by himself

On what side

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

That's the Académie française's entire raison d'être (:v:), and as someone who is not francophone yet deals with the language from time to time I don't actually mind too much, nor do I think it's crypto-fascist as some people are hyperbolically suggesting. The question is just, where do you draw the line, and how far back are you willing to go? Despite it obviously being a Romance language, many common French words (such as guerre, which is etymologically related to 'war') started out as Germanic loanwords (in most cases borrowed from the eponymous Franks). It's going to be tough purging those.

Chuckles in Mittelfränkisch, remembers the last time we were tied to the fortunes of France, continues grumbling in Mittelfränkisch. Blames the Prußen.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Since this is the weird news thread - http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201905/06/WS5ccf943fa3104842260b9f81.html

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Waterloo is a Soviet film, no?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This would be a much stronger argument if the impact of US presidential elections wasn't what it was. We need to deal with the idiots dude

Who says we don't need to deal with the idiots? I didn't.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Who says we don't need to deal with the idiots? I didn't.

as a bona fide idiot i read this discussion as proof that we need more movies where the american president is a strong unspecified regular guy who's got grit, but he learned a thing or two from his academic neighbors (gay), and together they use their massive arsenal of guns to save the world

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol an assessment of 'what won the war' which doesn't even use the word 'logistics'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

America probably did the most good with the land lease agreement, you were kinda late to the party.