Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Oh my god, I just got to the part where Fero turns into sand at the Archives. I'm amazed at what a huge fucker Austin is, haha.

I always wonder if that was something he improvised or if he just had a list of things that he was going to do when the rolls finally caught up with Fero, since it ended up being such a foundational moment for things to come.

But yeah when I first heard this I was like "wait, really?" and thought I maybe misheard because I was multitasking but nope. Austin really takes the concept of hard moves to its extreme, lol.

My table is starting to play Dungeon World next week and I really wonder how the GM is going to take that. Lol he like, accidentally traumatized me when he ran D&D so I am not going to advise him to listen to the show for ideas,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rick posted:

I always wonder if that was something he improvised or if he just had a list of things that he was going to do when the rolls finally caught up with Fero, since it ended up being such a foundational moment for things to come.

But yeah when I first heard this I was like "wait, really?" and thought I maybe misheard because I was multitasking but nope. Austin really takes the concept of hard moves to its extreme, lol.

My table is starting to play Dungeon World next week and I really wonder how the GM is going to take that. Lol he like, accidentally traumatized me when he ran D&D so I am not going to advise him to listen to the show for ideas,.

I binged the rest of the season while I was sick over the weekend, and from the way they talked about it after that and in the wrap up it seemed like something Austin was keeping track of all season (and it had already triggered for wolves), but I'm not sure if Keith had some idea before then or not. As for how much Austin had planned out the consequences, I think not knowing where the sand was from until he asked in the moment meant a lot of it was improv (they would have been way more screwed if it had been the sand from the mountain).

As for the rest of the season, some parts were better than others, but I was really dying to see how everything was going to wrap up, and now I'm pretty impatient to listen to Spring. I don't really think the characters that were new for Winter were my favorites (Ephrim felt a little like he was biting on Hadrian's thing without being as interesting, and Adaire was just kind of dull without much of a link to anything else that was going on), but Ephrim killing neo-Samothes was loving rad.

In the wrap up it felt like they were out of their way to indicate that they're all friends and whatever beef their characters have is just part of the game, but it really did feel like there was some OOC beef this season, which was a little uncomfortable, especially as Fero started getting angry at everyone since Fero's obviously pretty close to Keith in personality. Even before everything that happened in the Archives I felt like Jack was kind of exasperated by Keith, but obviously years later they're all still making the podcast together, so either I was reading stuff into it that wasn't really there or they've obviously managed to live with it/get past it. :shrug:

After listening to the world building episode for Twilight Mirage I'm not really brimming with anticipation, but maybe it was just a lot to take in and it'll be more interesting in practice, idk. Fingers crossed, because it's a long season.

Good luck with your game!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I don't think there's /no/ stress and bleed, but they're lifelong friends and professionals and they handle it away from the podcast, i think, leaving it in when people are alright with it and it works with the story.

Twilight Mirage has probably the highest highs and lowest lows of FATT, maybe excluding some of the real dire depressing moments in winter. It's a messy, bumpy season but if you get through it it's one of their best overall, imo.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Glass Cannon just finished the Pathfinder 1.0 Giantslayer AP yesterday. All 6 books wrapped up in a 6.5 hour 3 part final episode. I'm pretty happy with how it wrapped up, but I wish Troy had given them a chance to keep the sky castle for themselves and go on the AP's quest to fix it up

Not sure if it was this thread or one of the mbmbam/taz threads that I saw the recommendation in but they have been my main gaming podcast since probably 2016, and I've listened to all of their two main feeds and been a patreon member for a couple years now.

Now GCN is going to rerun their live shows of the Strange Aeons AP, and once the finish book 2, they will be starting book 3 with it fully converted to Pathfinder 2.0 so hopefully that goes great.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

Bugsy posted:

Glass Cannon just finished the Pathfinder 1.0 Giantslayer AP yesterday. All 6 books wrapped up in a 6.5 hour 3 part final episode. I'm pretty happy with how it wrapped up, but I wish Troy had given them a chance to keep the sky castle for themselves and go on the AP's quest to fix it up

Not sure if it was this thread or one of the mbmbam/taz threads that I saw the recommendation in but they have been my main gaming podcast since probably 2016, and I've listened to all of their two main feeds and been a patreon member for a couple years now.

Now GCN is going to rerun their live shows of the Strange Aeons AP, and once the finish book 2, they will be starting book 3 with it fully converted to Pathfinder 2.0 so hopefully that goes great.

The final episodes have been so good! Great combat leading up the end, and the finale felt very true to the GCP. I'm super excited for the next campaign. I got to go to my first live show this year and it was an absolute blast.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
My biggest problem with FaTT is that pure scifi is a hard sell for me and so much of their stuff is scifi and it just...eh, it just doesn't do it for me. And Hieron is...well, Hieron. I made it through the first, but I just couldn't keep up by the point of the middle one-I enjoyed it, but I didn't care enough to actually memorize all the lore. I know, I know, mecha is great, it's just hard for me to get into that.

Sangfielle seems super cool and I definitely intend to get to reading it and/or Bluff City(I got a little into the first episode and then was just really confused because I wasn't familiar with the system, but it did seem very fun)...any time now.

That said, I am still very fond of FaTT, because as I implied my ADHD makes audio format very difficult for me and so I'm always looking for D&D podcasts with transcripts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That makes perfect sense to me. Other than Twilight Mirage Bluff City is probably my favorite. But also I just love the setting, the old timey carnival land and old Atlantic city stuff hits well with me.

Bugsy posted:

I'm so close to finally finishing Androids and Aliens but knowing they were stopped slowed me down quite a bit. I like the crew though so I plan to pick another show up once I finish with that. Maybe the Pathfinder 2 since it's a game I will probably never play but find interesting.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I haven't listened to many episodes yet because I've been bouncing off pretty hard, but so far early Twilight Mirage is worse than I was expecting, and I was pretty ambivalent going in. To be fair I think their beginnings tend to be worse than their endings, so I do expect the season to get better, but at this rate I think I'm going to end up reading transcripts until things pick up a bit. I think part of the problem is that the setting is pretty high concept, so there's a lot of time explaining it and the not especially relatable characters early on, but hopefully that'll get better. Also knowing they end up ditching the system probably biases me against it, but my early impression is basically 'why did they think this was going to work?'

gamerex27
May 20, 2022
So around the time Daeren and Loon's excellent Exalted 3e AP started to wrap up a few months ago, I got the inspiration to start my own Exalted AP from their work. Just in time for the Exalted Essence Kickstarter, which thankfully makes running a project like this much easier!

Introducing FateBreakers, our biweekly ExEss podcast. Featuring a Storyteller who's wanted to run an Exalted game for a decade, and three players with no prior exposure to this game!

We've released three episodes so far, and the fourth should be out by this Friday night.

Show Website (with Spotify, Podchaser, & more directory links): https://fatebreakers.podbean.com/
Podcast RSS Feed: https://feed.podbean.com/fatebreakers/feed.xml
Youtube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZsUOeqs_xqiQ_sqn2BgJ1fDtElzIkGyk

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Accepting in my heart finally that my original group is dead forever I decided to find an AP of Rise of the Runelords.

It’s pretty funny that the shows seem to end at one of the four points our groups attempts to play it ended, and none have finished it.

I found one that still is going though, but is over 200 episodes. That seems like a lot.

I dunno maybe this is a sign I should find another group of people who want to play it. I don’t even like it that much and don’t want to play Pathfinder 1.0. But I just want to get through it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rick posted:

Accepting in my heart finally that my original group is dead forever I decided to find an AP of Rise of the Runelords.

It’s pretty funny that the shows seem to end at one of the four points our groups attempts to play it ended, and none have finished it.

I found one that still is going though, but is over 200 episodes. That seems like a lot.

I dunno maybe this is a sign I should find another group of people who want to play it. I don’t even like it that much and don’t want to play Pathfinder 1.0. But I just want to get through it.

It's also available for Savage Worlds now, if you're no longer interested in PF1. And I think there's a PF2 conversion.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rick posted:

Hey, it's your hundreds of hours of your life. Waste them how you like!

My Pathfinder group got through 2/3rds of Rise of the Runelords and had a great time. One guy moved away so it fell apart (among other reasons) but I can't imagine wanting to start it all over again from the beginning. Just pick another AP!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Just wrapped up an Alien RPG campaign that spanned a good 30 sessions (though I was only in it from the 7th episode on, as a character), in case anybody's interested in colonial horror shenanigans.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just wrapped up an Alien RPG campaign that spanned a good 30 sessions (though I was only in it from the 7th episode on, as a character), in case anybody's interested in colonial horror shenanigans.

Oh, interesting! I'll give it a watch. I have honestly wondered how I'd do an Alien game since one feels like they would tend to run along established lines, for lack of a better term. (And it's fine if they do, mind. It's more about me wondering how to put a spin on it.)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Rick posted:

Do you want to hear the ending? Or is it to get the catharsis of hearing someone do the whole thing?

(I'm kind of amazed that finishing it is that rare.)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Megazver posted:

It's also available for Savage Worlds now, if you're no longer interested in PF1. And I think there's a PF2 conversion.

Savage worlds sounds like a better time at least.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hey, it's your hundreds of hours of your life. Waste them how you like!

My Pathfinder group got through 2/3rds of Rise of the Runelords and had a great time. One guy moved away so it fell apart (among other reasons) but I can't imagine wanting to start it all over again from the beginning. Just pick another AP!

Okay I'll be honest, I had a great time, too. I just didn't want to be accused of being a bad-story-liker.

Sionak posted:

Do you want to hear the ending? Or is it to get the catharsis of hearing someone do the whole thing?

(I'm kind of amazed that finishing it is that rare.)

It's the catharsis. I looked up the ending after we blew up the second time because I didn't think the GM would be crazy enough to suggest it a third time. The fourth time was us as a group, coming off of finishing two Starfinder APs then saying "we can do it, we can finish APs now, let's prove it by going after the one we never could." It killed the group in four weeks.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Curious as a big fan of sprawling epics. Whats so taxing about that one?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

Gonna 2nd the Pretending to be People recommendation with a few notes.

~They play Delta Green with some Pulp Cthulhu mechanics (From what I understand it just makes the players a touch more sturdy and a few other minor mechanics, something with luck I guess? I don't play these games myself)
~They play a closed game; which means that when one member is somewhere else (like across the city) they leave the room they're playing in (or take off their headphones once you reach the episodes where the pandemic kicks in and they need to distance), also they can and do keep secrets this way. This CAN get confusing to listen to at first (especially in the beginning when they're bombarded with stuff) but you get used to it pretty quickly.
~They don't play Delta Green agents, they play small town cops just trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on.
~The music design is loving incredible, like seriously I've felt myself tense up in serious situations because of the music.
~They just recently posted episode 100 and are in the final arc of this campaign (They absolutely plan to do more campaigns)

Thought I'd mention that they just started their 2nd campaign if jumping into a 113 episode series seems like a big step, there's a few rule changes (that they explain) and this season they're news reporters.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

weekly font posted:

Curious as a big fan of sprawling epics. Whats so taxing about that one?

Well, some of this is bad luck and IRL party dynamics. But, it kind of resembles a video game RPG in the sense that the every story beat requires so many quests and so much more plot than you'd think. I don't MIND this by the way but it's A Lot that you are just inhabiting the most trouble-fraught world ever where going to get some milk at the minimart involves ten branching quests.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Detheros posted:

Thought I'd mention that they just started their 2nd campaign if jumping into a 113 episode series seems like a big step, there's a few rule changes (that they explain) and this season they're news reporters.

Oh hell yeah, time to dive back in.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Drunk and Ugly just uploaded for the first time in 18 months :toot:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Are there any good Cypher and/or Numenera APs?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody got a line on APs for the Dishonored RPG by Modiphius or whatever they are? Been out for two years, somebody must have tried it.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
PtbP is my favorite new podcast, appreciate the recommendation :tipshat:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick posted:

I'm going to say the one that is 200 deep is probably bad. "Is that racist?" I ask at one of the GMs character voices and some casual homophobia in the last episode.

It's basically just some dudes' home game really. Time to find something else.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Helical Nightmares posted:

The other podcast is the old-timer Black Project Gaming . These players are veteran, nuanced, really get into character and the Handler is excellent as well. I've listened to a little of the Extremophilia actual play and the whole Impossible Landscapes (The Night Floors) season. What I've listened to is excellent and well produced. Very creepy and the inner strain of the character's sanity is well expressed and on display. Solid recommendation.

They also do D&D 5th edition which I have not listened to but I would wager is also excellently roleplayed.

https://blackprojectgaming.com/
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/black-project-gaming/id1448971789

Ended up listening to Black Project Gaming's Night at the Opera run, and it's extremely my poo poo: everyone takes the game seriously, the characterization is excellent, nobody's trying for comedy, and the players even bother to learn the rules! It's great, thank you for this recommendation.

My one problem with their Delta Green games that I've listened to so far (just Night at the Opera, though I'm about to start Impossible Landscapes) is that they cut the missions short a lot. Music From a Darkened Room is supposedly one of the best DG modules ever published, and we see basically none of it because the party implodes spectacularly and fails the mission, and the same thing happens a couple other times on modules that I was really looking forward to seeing them sink their teeth into. Does that happen with Impossible Landscapes too?

Also, can anyone recommend a good AP of Music From a Darkened Room and / or Observer Effect, one where the players - at minimum - aren't trying for comedy and are able to take the game seriously, and where we actually get to see the module play out in detail?

Edit: just to clarify, for my "good AP" purposes, production values are absolutely irrelevant. I'll happily listen to grainy echo-y mics, no music and or sound effects, nothing. Only the Actual Play matters.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 17, 2022

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kestral posted:

Ended up listening to Black Project Gaming's Night at the Opera run, and it's extremely my poo poo: everyone takes the game seriously, the characterization is excellent, nobody's trying for comedy, and the players even bother to learn the rules! It's great, thank you for this recommendation.

Glad you like it! Although it's already well established, I hope Black Project Gaming gets more ears because they are that drat good.

I've dived into a bit of their Forgotten Realms, Dragon Heist campaign (I'm on episode 7). While I think their Delta Green stuff is of higher caliber, I do like how there GM makes the city of Waterdeep feel alive and it is entertaining to listen to. The GM seems to be spinning a lot of plots at once in that campaign though.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
James D'Amato is stepping down as host of the One Shot podcast (while still running the network and Campaign), and is taking applications for a new host to replace him:
https://twitter.com/OneShotRPG/status/1593703755702312960

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
As someone who has a 12 minute basketball podcast with a grand total of 20 listeners and who can't breathe and uses a USB mic most of the time so the show is actually an assault on anyone how cares about audio quality, this is finally my opportunity, firing up the application.

But seriously, I will miss James on One Shot for sure, he has so many good/fun ideas which considering the premise, is important.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm glad a lot of the Road To Palisade stuff (at least the second half of it) has been more light-hearted games for Friends at the Table. I feel like they hide a lot of the comedy behind the paywall and it's good that a lot of these more silly games are going to hit the main feed eventually this time.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I just finished Campaign 1 of Critical Role and I absolutely loved it. After going back and forth I decided to try and catch up on Campaign 3 (I'm open to suggestions if this is a bad idea). So far it hasn't clicked for me yet, but I'm sticking with it. The characters seem interesting it just feels like a lot of side quests at the moment. It also seems like a more political intrigue based campaign. Does this change as things go on?

I'm on Episode 9 so far.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is a dedicated CR thread in TVIV, of all places. (It was there way before the animated show was in plans.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3982508

Haven't really watched any of them myself, I'm afraid, so I can't answer that.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Megazver posted:

There is a dedicated CR thread in TVIV, of all places. (It was there way before the animated show was in plans.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3982508

Haven't really watched any of them myself, I'm afraid, so I can't answer that.

Ok thank you.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Here’s a question!

I like comedy/chill podcasts like Dungeons and Daddies, Not Another D&D Podcast, that kind of thing.

What’s a good Pathfinder actual play? I prefer something more jokey and fun, but as long as it doesn’t get crazy dramatic I’m probably good.

Any recs?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Saxophone posted:

Here’s a question!

I like comedy/chill podcasts like Dungeons and Daddies, Not Another D&D Podcast, that kind of thing.

What’s a good Pathfinder actual play? I prefer something more jokey and fun, but as long as it doesn’t get crazy dramatic I’m probably good.

Any recs?

You could try Burnt Cook Book Party. One of the players is Jenna Stoeber, former Polygon video editor and all around delightful person. There are some dramatic things in the ten episodes I have listened to, but it's mostly jokey. Two of the player characters are a chef mage and a day spa paladin. It's pretty goofy and fun even if some bad stuff is happening in the world.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Here’s a question!

Any recs?

So I haven't had a chance to listen to their Pathfinder stuff to see if it's as funny as their Starfinder stuff, but I do enjoy the Glass Cannon Android & Aliens show quite a bit (so close to finally finishing it) and assume the Starfinder Pathfinder stuff as similar tone.

E: for posterity

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 31, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Saxophone posted:

Here’s a question!

Any recs?

Glass Cannon is the headliner PF1e/now PF2e AP and from what I've seen of them they're generally pretty jokey.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Androids and Aliens is a good rec assuming you're cool with the sci-fi version of Pathfinder. It has definitely made me laugh a bunch and the players are all great, but I'd have to caution that it gets pretty bogged down with dry rules discussions; so much so that they eventually hired a "Pathfinder/Starfinder Rules Lawyer" just to chime in and settle disputes.

Also, I don't know if it gets better eventually (I stalled out around ep. 103 of 155) but Troy Lavallee's utter contempt for Starfinder, specifically starship combat, started to wear on me a bit as a listener. I think I posted about it in this thread at the time but man, hearing that the GM doesn't even want to be there really started to drain my own enthusiasm for the show.

That being said I really do want to dive back in and finally finish the campaign, as the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. Ah, one of these days...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Saxophone posted:

Here’s a question!

Any recs?

Re:Alignment is pretty good, lighthearted but with enough seriousness to keep it grounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Here’s a question!

Any recs?

The two Pathfinder Actual Plays I'm enjoying currently (Glass Cannon is also solid) are Find the Path - more serious but they do crack some jokes about e.g. the catfolk monk in the party, and Hideous Laughter, which is a bit jokier overall. Neither are full on comedy podcasts the way I felt like some AP stuff gets to be, though, and I personally prefer it that way. Find the Path starts with Mummy's Mask and after finishing that started...Tyrant's Grasp, I think; and has a separate feed where they're playing Hell's Rebels. (Also apparently a Patreon campaign with yet another adventure path but I am not a patron.) Hideous Laughter is doing Carrion Crown and have a spinoff with another one... Curse of the Crimson Throne maybe? I forget. I'm only listening to Mummy's Mask and Carrion Crown so far.