Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

Strong words when Sergei's son exists

Andrei is more viscerally unlikable on a personal level, but he feels like he's actually serving a narrative purpose by existing in the story. Saji in S2 is just kind of there and they don't do anything with him besides have him yell Louise's name constantly.

They could have done something interesting by having him and Setsuna actually develop something of a rapport and chemistry so that linking Saji and Louise back together was something Setsuna was actually personally invested in, but, well, they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Andrei is more viscerally unlikable on a personal level, but he feels like he's actually serving a narrative purpose by existing in the story. Saji in S2 is just kind of there and they don't do anything with him besides have him yell Louise's name constantly.

They could have done something interesting by having him and Setsuna actually develop something of a rapport and chemistry so that linking Saji and Louise back together was something Setsuna was actually personally invested in, but, well, they didn't.

They try, but Setsuna's personality makes the murder manlet Mikazuki himself look positively gregarious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah, his scene with Setsuna was just so bad. Setsuna didn't have any response to his criticisms, or his sobbing or even him stealing his loving gun for the love of...

It was emotionally empty, because half of the characters there didn't care what was happening.

Compare to Iron Blooded Orphans Mikazuki is always responding to the situation around him. He might only be glancing over, mentally going "Is he still loving talking?" then returning to his snack, but he's like Rei Ayanami in that what he does is a really interesting insight into his character, even when he's not saying anything or showing any expression. And there's always a chance that something will flip a switch, and then Mikazuki will just go full blast murder mode, which means you have to be on edge around him.

Setsuna, meanwhile, is just doing whatever thing the scene needs from him. In season 1, he showed hints that he could be interesting if he interacted more with 'normal' people, but here he loses even what he had. He gets two "Gundam!" moments in season 1, and they're portrayed with religious awe, showing something in the way of characterization. Meanwhile, in season 2's first episode, he sees another Gundam after five years alone, thinking there's no hope... and he doesn't even react with the enthusiasm you'd expect from someone told that gum he likes is going to come back in style.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/771e0e2c-eba4-46d0-a604-915e841dfeaa/1

Mom Time Part 2 on Pulitzer

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh wow, that's two days in a row, they're going through these fast.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Is the line "I already had someone by my side" implying that Kameria was cheating on Tem because he was too distant thanks to work? She's still not coming off very well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Is the line "I already had someone by my side" implying that Kameria was cheating on Tem because he was too distant thanks to work? She's still not coming off very well.

It definitely isn't that, because he wasn't distant due to work; he was distant because he had moved literally thousands of miles away for work and she had refused to go with him or her child, with him asking her to come with him up until the last minute. The distance is not his fault in that scenario, and is entirely because of her. That said, in the novels, Amuro thinks about how this was just a pretext for them to get a separation; with Tem leaving for space after securing dispensation to spare his wife from the forced emigration. I think there's some implication she was cheating there, or at least, I've seen people infer it, but I don't recall it off hand if it was actually in the text.

That said, I'm not sure I'd say it was the same in the anime, because Tem asking her to come to space as he's leaving doesn't really make sense if the whole thing is a way for them to amicably separate.

Edit: Oh wait, I went searching the novels again and found the passages that imply Kamaria was having an affair. Amuro has a dream/nightmare where Kamaria is lying in bed with another man, and they have somewhat similar interactions to the show, with her screaming at him about not raising him that way. After which, when he wakes up, he says that Kamaria was sleeping with another man to manipulate Kusko Al, figuring showing vulnerability would make her drop her guard. It's kind of ambiguous in presentation if he was just having a nightmare and using that to manipulate her, or remembering something as a nightmare and using it though. Still, there's definitely some evidence to imply it, at the very least.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 3, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Double posting to remind people that the Cucuruz Doan's Island film is showing today, with blu-rays being sold at the event so there's probably going to be reactions and information on it available over the next few days; though I don't know when it's going to officially be available in English or anything. Now that this is officially out in Japanese though, I'd imagine that Sunrise will be waiting a week or two to give it some time in the sun as the foremost Gundam project, before showing off a proper Witch from Mercury animation or what have you, since I don't think that has a solid date yet.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

There's definitely some suggestive framing to that panel, highlighting the guy who was protective of her previously. It's the only time he appears once they start talking.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope char does some cool poo poo

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

i hope char does some cool poo poo

I hope he does some cool poo poo while coming off as a petty, broken shitheel as he does it. And that Amuro fights him to a standstill despite all his grandstanding.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cope

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

Saji is probably my least favorite character in S2. He manages to be completely unsympathetic and unlikable despite being a guy who has suffered massive, crushing trauma, and he serves almost no real narrative purpose - he's just someone who hangs around and acts as Setsuna's backpack despite the two characters having zero chemistry or interesting relationship beats.

They really should have made him the protagonist for season 2.

Ditch lockon 2, lock harder, give Setsuna an even more focused melee suit, and put Saji in the 00.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

tsob posted:

I hope he does some cool poo poo while coming off as a petty, broken shitheel as he does it. And that Amuro fights him to a standstill despite all his grandstanding.

He's already starting off looking pathetic by using the high mobility Zaku he's supposed to be too good for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she hasn't changed or learned at all since that single episode she appeared in. kamaria just has absolutely no interest in amuro's life after childhood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she hasn't changed or learned at all since that single episode she appeared in. kamaria just has absolutely no interest in amuro's life after childhood.

Also the fact that Amuro was the one who sent her a letter after the war. She didn't try to contact her son once. But she feels bad, man.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Also the fact that Amuro was the one who sent her a letter after the war. She didn't try to contact her son once. But she feels bad, man.

Feels bad that he didn't get merked in the war so she could say "I told you so" maybe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caros posted:

They really should have made him the protagonist for season 2.

Ditch lockon 2, lock harder, give Setsuna an even more focused melee suit, and put Saji in the 00.

Lockon 2 is one of my favorite parts of S2 because he's pretty much the only person in Celestial Being with an actual character arc, though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Lockon 2 is one of the only good parts of S2 and Saji is loving awful from start to finish in S2

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Strong words when Sergei's son exists

:drat:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CCA gets right into the dang asteroids, huh

E: It really feels like this movie started at what should have been the like 15 minute mark lol

Lahlah, it's been 13 years, leave these boys alone

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 4, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
CCA feels like it's s rough draft of about a third of the story Tomino wanted to tell. Parts of it are fantastic but I don't think I'd rank it anywhere close to my favourites across all of Gundam. It's too hodgepodge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Amuroooooo~ I'm doing something extremely wicked~"

what a good line read

E: Yeah this is hours two and five of a five hour OVA

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 4, 2022

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

CCA gets right into the dang asteroids, huh

E: It really feels like this movie started at what should have been the like 15 minute mark lol

Lahlah, it's been 13 years, leave these boys alone

The manga for beltorchika's children does SO MUCH BETTER about introducing what the hell is going on at the start, its insane.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how does it go? The initial concept/book was High Streamer, and then Beltorchika's Children was the manga take on the story and then CCA was the pared down version that git the film treatment?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What the gently caress is going on

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love cca I didn’t find it hard to follow. No more than any other tomino thing (except greco)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not that hard to follow but it does have some strange leaps with anything involving Quess and it feels like an abbreviated version of the story it wants to tell.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gyunei just straight up going "Char likes young girls" got a chuckle

Char realizing that the fatal flaw in his plan is that most people like the Earth

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 4, 2022

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

It's not that hard to follow but it does have some strange leaps with anything involving Quess and it feels like an abbreviated version of the story it wants to tell.

Yeah but that’s pretty normal for tomino (especially his movie stuff)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SHE COULD HAVE BEEN A MOTHER TO ME, AMURO

I HAVE ISSUES AND THEY'RE YOUR PROBLEM NOW, AMURO

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

So how does it go? The initial concept/book was High Streamer, and then Beltorchika's Children was the manga take on the story and then CCA was the pared down version that git the film treatment?

Beltorchika's Children (the novel) was probably based on the initial pitch to Bandai and the other sponsors (since supposedly one of their demands was removing Beltorchika), High Streamer was an expanded version based on a mostly finalized script and then there's the film itself. Both of the novels were released in full prior to the movie for some reason, so it may have been expected that the hardcore audience would be familiar with those prior to seeing the movie, but mostly I think Tomino likes to just imply background and setting details since that's a common thing in his work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alright, that's the original run of Gundam in the pocket!

I think I am going to take a break from UC for a bit

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Char realizing that the fatal flaw in his plan is that most people like the Earth

Gyunei accusing Char of liking young girls is absurdly hypocritical, because in CCA Char is loving Nanai and everyone knows it while Gyunei is dropping the accusation to try to get in there with a 15 year old.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Someone post Tomino's quote about Nanai's cooch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And for some whiplash, I'm gonna watch G next, baybee.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

Gyunei accusing Char of liking young girls is absurdly hypocritical, because in CCA Char is loving Nanai and everyone knows it while Gyunei is dropping the accusation to try to get in there with a 15 year old.

He's doing that, but he's also still obsessed over Lalah who COULD'VE BEEN HIS MOTHER despite being a literal teenager at the time of her death so I wouldn't exactly say Gyunei is all that mistaken, even if for reasons he doesn't actually know.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's doing that, but he's also still obsessed over Lalah who COULD'VE BEEN HIS MOTHER despite being a literal teenager at the time of her death so I wouldn't exactly say Gyunei is all that mistaken, even if for reasons he doesn't actually know.

basically

Waffleman_ posted:

I HAVE ISSUES AND THEY'RE YOUR PROBLEM NOW, AMURO

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Waffleman_ posted:

the fatal flaw in his plan is that Armuro doesn't gently caress men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sunrise doesn't want Amuro loving anyone it seems