Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

deep dish peat moss posted:

The only good thing about NFTs

i'm gonna have to stop you right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You should read the rest of the post where the next five words are "is the theoretical potential for" and the second paragraph is about how NFTs are the worst tool to solve that problem :cheers:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

You should read the rest of the post where the next five words are "is the theoretical potential for" and the second paragraph is about how NFTs are the worst tool to solve that problem :cheers:

No

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The NFT just makes creation and enforcement of the contract between the artist and the purchaser of whatever IP/character/design automatic.

No, it doesn't.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

No, it doesn't.

Sorry, the NFT Marketplace* in theory does.

Anyway the point of that post was that one of the main "selling points" for NFTs is something that is already being better handled by old fashioned web2 marketplaces so :shrug: You're all getting weirdly defensive about it.

My source of this knowledge is being an artist who was approached by several crypto bros wanting me to partner with them on NFT projects and that post was about how I shot down their claims about how much NFTs would do for me.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 3, 2022

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
this is the gbs thread for saying buttcoin, not the smarty smart guy thread for putting on glasses and saying "hmm, well actually the precise way in which NFTs are bad is X, not Y like you thought"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hammerite posted:

not the smarty smart guy thread for putting on glasses and saying "hmm, well actually the precise way in which NFTs are bad is X, not Y like you thought"

This is not even remotely close to what I said in the first place

I posted a claim that NFT peddlers use to get artists on board with making NFTs (and referred to it as "the only cool thing about NFTs", because it was the only "cool" thing any NFT bros approaching me about my art could mention to me which is I guess what y'all failed to interpret or I failed to convey), followed by my refutation of that claim and my explanation that non-blockchain pre"web3" internet websites are already doing exactly what NFTs claim to do, but in a better and more efficient fashion. I'm astounded that multiple people miscomprehended that post as me defending parts of NFTs but okay, I will stop posting things about how bad NFTs and bitcoin are in this thread even though that's... what this thread has been about all along :confused:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 3, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I fart shitcoins

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I posted a claim that NFT peddlers use to get artists on board with making NFTs (and referred to it as "the only cool thing about NFTs" which is I guess what y'all failed to interpret), followed by my refutation of that claim and my explanation that non-blockchain pre"web3" internet websites are already doing exactly what NFTs claim to do, but in a better and more efficient fashion. I'm astounded that multiple people miscomprehended that post as me defending parts of NFTs but okay, I will stop posting things about how bad NFTs and bitcoin are in this thread even though that's... what this thread has been about all along :confused:

If you're going to create a Socratic dialogue between a hypothetical NFT advocate and yourself, it helps to label the speakers in some fashion. All we saw was you saying some good things about NFTs and then some bad things.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I shouldn't have to explain that saying "The only cool thing about NFTs is the theory that..." and then following it immediately with a breakdown about how that theory cannot be applied to NFTs because it's already applied to non-crypto spaces elsewhere where it's more efficient and does better is not "saying good things" about NFTs. I would suggest reading beyond the first 5 words of a post before forming an emotional reaction in the future :kiddo:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I fart shitcoins

I would like to invest all my money for some of your shitcoins please.
I was going to use it for life saving heart and lung transplant that I desperately need.
But from your post, and how you sold me on it, I think this will goto the moon and I will be able to buy Elon's heart and lungs many times over this time next week.
Do you take fiat?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ2qBlrW9vw

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Protocol7 posted:

I fart shitcoins

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

happyhippy posted:

I would like to invest all my money for some of your shitcoins please.
I was going to use it for life saving heart and lung transplant that I desperately need.
But from your post, and how you sold me on it, I think this will goto the moon and I will be able to buy Elon's heart and lungs many times over this time next week.
Do you take fiat?

No we only take fart sorry

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I posted a claim that NFT peddlers use to get artists on board with making NFTs (and referred to it as "the only cool thing about NFTs", because it was the only "cool" thing any NFT bros approaching me about my art could mention to me which is I guess what y'all failed to interpret or I failed to convey), followed by my refutation of that claim and my explanation that non-blockchain pre"web3" internet websites are already doing exactly what NFTs claim to do, but in a better and more efficient fashion. I'm astounded that multiple people miscomprehended that post as me defending parts of NFTs but okay, I will stop posting things about how bad NFTs and bitcoin are in this thread even though that's... what this thread has been about all along :confused:

ok

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
So apparently Chipotle takes crypto now? But not really?

From what I gather Flexa is taking on all the crypto risk/exchanging and just paying Chipotle with money on the back end, similar to like the crypto.com cards and other crypto cards that claim to let you pay with crypto (but it's actually just a credit card transaction).

What I don't understand is how Flexa works with Chipotle's point of sales if it's not a credit card. It seems like there is speculation that Flexa is just serving up a Chipotle gift card bar code for the cashier to scan - so it just works like a gift card? I really hope this is true, as it would fit the cumbersome nature of crypto.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Boywhiz88 posted:

i wish i was actually helpful and could find it but this thread is a lot more prolific than i realized

It's fine. Thanks anyway! :hfive:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ChronoBasher posted:

From what I gather Flexa is taking on all the crypto risk/exchanging and just paying Chipotle with money on the back end, similar to like the crypto.com cards and other crypto cards that claim to let you pay with crypto (but it's actually just a credit card transaction).

What I don't understand is how Flexa works with Chipotle's point of sales if it's not a credit card. It seems like there is speculation that Flexa is just serving up a Chipotle gift card bar code for the cashier to scan - so it just works like a gift card? I really hope this is true, as it would fit the cumbersome nature of crypto.

Finally a business that makes sense to take crypto in that crypto transactions are slow as gently caress just like the time it takes them to get around to making the burrito you ordered on the app! (It's still dumb and despite my bitching I do love those burritos)

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

All my goblin asses gone

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ChronoBasher posted:

Ahaha, what a scam. The flexa wallet, "spedn" (not a typo) apparently only takes deposits, there is no way to withdraw: https://help.flexa.network/en/articles/3044427-can-i-withdraw-my-cryptocurrency-balance-from-spedn

Also they make it somewhat clear that purchasing burritos will trigger a taxable event, but no, they wont be filing any paperwork with the IRS so have fun figuring out what to do with a CSV dump: https://help.flexa.network/en/articles/3740783-are-flexa-payments-taxable-events

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol they literally limit you to $750 a week so that they don't have to pay taxes

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

The only cool thing about NFTs is the theory that..

your wrong there's no cool thing

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I mean the Seth Green stupidity shows that in the end it will always get hashed out in a court of law according to the terms of the original contract. Like in no way is the American justice system gonna be like "You're right. Contracts can be stolen like a football and whoever last holds it wins."

And in the insane case that they decide that's true it strictly makes NFT worse than real contracts. I don't have to worry about losing my house if someone steals the pdf of the deed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Did anyone say No loving Thanks yet

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thundercracker posted:

I mean the Seth Green stupidity shows that in the end it will always get hashed out in a court of law according to the terms of the original contract. Like in no way is the American justice system gonna be like "You're right. Contracts can be stolen like a football and whoever last holds it wins."

Technically Seth Green is breaking someone else's copyright because the ape character in the show doesn't always have tearful eyes, doesn't constantly have a burgundy background, opens his mouth, doesn't always have a cigarette in his mouth, and wears a green jacket instead of just the skull shirt, so every ape holder whose ape is one difference away from his should sue him over the depiction in the show

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tarquinn posted:

It's fine. Thanks anyway! :hfive:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFT/comments/sazdee/divorcing_couple_splitting_their_nft_collection/

A lovely version on Reddit, but I’m p sure someone else had done it here because of the template aspect.

FOUND IT:

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 3, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Forget that dummy Seth Green and his stupid apes show, when's the goblin asses cartoon coming out

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Forget that dummy Seth Green and his stupid apes show, when's the goblin asses cartoon coming out
Turn off your monitor.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

zedprime posted:

Turn off your monitor.

I said "cartoon", not "live action" :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFT/comments/sazdee/divorcing_couple_splitting_their_nft_collection/

A lovely version on Reddit, but I’m p sure someone else had done it here because of the template aspect.

FOUND IT:

here's the photoshop thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993394&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

The only good thing about NFTs is the theoretical potential for artists to effortlessly release NFTs and automatically-enforce royalty payments and IP licensing rights. Currently in order for an artist to do that they would likely need to retain a laywer or agent focused in copyright issues, DMCAs, royalty and licensing fees, etc. which means in most cases the artist can't afford a lawyer and is at the behest of the purchaser/licensee's lawyer.

But at the end of the day they do nothing to curb illicit use of artwork, people can still just steal the jpegs. The NFT just makes creation and enforcement of the contract between the artist and the purchaser of whatever IP/character/design automatic. And yeah that's cool, but it comes at the downside of literally every other bit of crypto and blockchain being attached to it. The same exact process could be better fixed by a good ol' fashion centralized web2 marketplace for artists operated by an organization that spun up and enforced those contracts on artists' behalf. In fact several similar platforms already exist, it's just that none of them are good enough for everyone to use and they do nothing to promote the artists' products.

Lol, what are you talking about? Every NFT ever created is an http link stored in the Etherium blockchain. That’s all it is. I’m not sure anyone can actually own an http link, so your theoretical posturing is the same as me posturing that I have the theoretical potential to be a loving astronaut.

Edit: The real problem with NFTs and crypto currency in general is that they are designed by greedy humans to exploit other greedy humans. The hope is that someone can unload their lovely NFT/shitcoin onto a Bigger Fool. That’s pretty dystopian.

I strongly recommend checking out The Legal Eagle for a really good perspective on NFTs and contract and copyright law.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 4, 2022

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lmaooooo

“Can I go now?”

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

perfect

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:perfect:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

If only pics could be thread titles.

Eridine
Aug 11, 2011

drk posted:

Ahaha, what a scam. The flexa wallet, "spedn" (not a typo) apparently only takes deposits, there is no way to withdraw: https://help.flexa.network/en/articles/3044427-can-i-withdraw-my-cryptocurrency-balance-from-spedn

Also they make it somewhat clear that purchasing burritos will trigger a taxable event, but no, they wont be filing any paperwork with the IRS so have fun figuring out what to do with a CSV dump: https://help.flexa.network/en/articles/3740783-are-flexa-payments-taxable-events

Bitcoin: purchasing burritos will trigger a taxable event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Eridine posted:

Bitcoin: purchasing burritos will trigger a taxable event

Don’t worry you can make payments in GUSD :wtc: which is apparently the most trusted crypto-native finance platform.

But not so trusted that they can send money to you.