Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

Doing some light image cleanup on these stories moving forward. Let me know what you think in terms of contrast and readability.

I can't see it being BAD, but I am curious as to how it looks as a compare-and-contrast before you cleaned it up (as well as what clean-up techniques you are doing)

And, with that query out the way, in today's Blueberry: Blueberry finds himself between a rock and a hard place..., or When people say the cavalry's arrived, I do't quite think they mean like THIS..., or the things people have to do to secure medical treatment in a privatized market...

And so ends the Tsi Na Pah adventure! I... don't know how I feel about this one. There's more than just a bit of the White Man Savior trope, as well as the Indian Princess trope to boot... and the conflict at the end between Vittorio and Blueberry does seem a bit... convoluted somehow? But it is still a pretty good story.

Join me next time, won't you? When we regale you with the not-at-all-depressing/enraging story of... The Long March!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 26, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/2/02

Brenda Starr 11/11-13/48

Smokey Stover 4/11/48

Everyday Movies 3/22/35

"I never took a lot of stock in ads, Mopey, but I've noticed that ever since I started using this scented soap I do smell better."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

"Cans Palm Der Oar" is a great mangling of phrase.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 29, 1951)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

chuckling at the idea that reading old comic strips is the least bit relaxing what with all the vigilance for racism and terrible childrearing

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple – Brian's Insides

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

[I survived the Covid and was back in action… five days after making the last post? As opposed to the Last Post]

Charlie at the Victoria seems like a man of limited moral fibre… if I may be so bold.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

I am sorry this is terrible.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Looks like Randy Milholland is being given a go at doing Sunday Popeye. Could be neat?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Aw, came here to post this. Mulholland's sample strips were really good, and if he's only doing one a week there's less chance of burnout. I'm really psyched.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

And He Did!
A Cautionary Tale

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powered Descent posted:

:actually:

The chess board is sideways -- each player should have a light square on the near right corner.

If they're in the northern hemisphere, the sun goes the other way.

:golfclap:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Vargo posted:

Aw, came here to post this. Mulholland's sample strips were really good, and if he's only doing one a week there's less chance of burnout. I'm really psyched.
Yeah honestly this is one of the best possible outcomes for him.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

our flag means death is great

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 28, 1934)

Peanuts (June 6, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 3, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 29-31, 1938)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "254 - Jucika And The Capricious Winter"

"255 - Jucika's Touching Complaint"

"Panasziroda = Complaints Department"

quote:

$21 in 1938 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $430.59 today

What the hell is Moonraker borrowing this money for

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doomykins posted:

If I've got my characters right he's the aspiring author? I'm guessing shipping costs and "consideration fees".

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I loved his run on Popeye's Cartoon Club! I'm glad he's getting a chance to take it over for real!

F Minus

Mark Trail

So ends an exciting week of Mark sitting at a computer talking to his dad.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Would sucking that bear make him gay?

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Doomykins posted:

Bruceski posted:

If I've got my characters right he's the aspiring author? I'm guessing shipping costs and "consideration fees".

Deek (Spook? That's what I get for not taking notes) is the writer, the dark-haired one in the knee pants. Moonfixer's money issue is a little bit more basic: his eyes are bigger than his wallet and he was BORN THIRTY YEARS TOO SOON for Mastercharge.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 3, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I always thought the title Funny Online Animals was meant to be ironic, because it's not funny at all.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dustin really is the Boomer (Gen Xer?) newspaper version of "making up a guy and getting mad at him" isn't it?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

"I'm out of space." "I'm not a pet sitter and will not board your turtle." Or even, "No." Easy.

Also, not an edit. Hair really did name his band The Pubes.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

I've been reading Something Positive for years despite not really liking Milholland's art and really disliking how all of his characters sound exactly the same ("wordy and sardonic"), so worst case it's something new I can enjoy complaining about! Similarly, while I'd generally rather see an entirely new strip than an inexplicably revived 90-year-old property, at least this is being given to a (relatively) younger artist with a proven ability to produce at the level required, so it's a step in the right direction.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Same energy.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
holy poo poo i've been beating the Milholland on Popeye drum ever since he made those fan comics

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Yeah, idgi either.

Life in Hell

Sylvia is back!

A quick reminder that the layout of this book is nonsensical, so I’m being pretty arbitrary about what and how many I post each day.

Marlys!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Samovar posted:

That joke about Arf being Val's biographer, oh my goodness.

Well played, Arf!

They can't kill you off if you're the one writing the story.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Bibliotechno Music posted:

ˇAragones!

Yeah, idgi either.

The guy on the right took off his jacket to fight in shirtsleeves and the guy on the left took off his whole suit to fight in a karate outfit implying that he's a bit more serious about fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Doomykins posted:

I think he's building some sort of rocket to launch into London, but it's been a long time. Seems the sort of thing to run a few bucks.

edit: for the record, I have enjoyed more funny online animals than I haven't. Not to say there definitely haven't been ones that I just zoned out on, but I'm deeply fond of the youthful duck listening to the country music his dad got him, the #relatable decapitated ape, Cool Frog being blasted off his billboard with a cannon, etc.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 3, 2022