Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
redline buffs are good if you can kit a hero into being the main frontline fighter and use the lord as a buff giver/campaign benefit giver. Or you can install skillpoint mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There should be voice functionality where you can scream HOLD THE LINE into your mic and your boys get a small temporary ward save

Time to figure out how to mod the strategy center from CnC Generals into the game. Maybe give Cathay nuke cannons while I'm at it.

Wonder how the high elf diplomatic fuckery will go in IE. Too bad you can't force everybody to be friends with Khorne factions. Think I'll focus on forcing some dwarfs to be my friends and hiring some warriors to serve as disposable meat shields

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

It is funny that dawi melee and artillery with knife ear archery and magic is likely the best match up in the game but it can never be.

Redline skills are a good way to make a support lord investment and it differentiates combat power houses from support lords. The entire point is you're losing out on a lord being a 1 man army by buffing everything in the army so if anything they should remove redline buffs from combat lords.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's not much sacrifice to taking red line skills other than not getting full blue/yellow as fast as you could or a few rare hybrid lords that get full yellows + unique passives + caster trees, especially with a cap of 50 instead of 40. :v:

The only Lords that end up as "pure support" are if you kneecap them intentionally like a Cathay Balloon Lord.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been trying out Magistrates a lot actually (modded duh) since I feel like the combat lord tarpit meta against the AI is both too strong and predictable. It's a nice tradeoff to have a lord that juices your troops in exchange for being an oldschool TW general that you want to keep safe instead of committing to the fight because they cannot fight for poo poo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Red line skills really do need a huge nerf. Wh3 was better in that regard too.

If they really wanted to they could have lords that get better red line lords and make them some kind of commander archetype and make them basically just wizards without any spells, but that makes them pretty boring. Maybe if the red line bonuses were all an aura so if you wanted them you need to keep their fragile rear end relatively close to the battle and and also couldn't cover your whole army at once.

E: vvv yeah that's way better. Three types of commanders (fighters, casters, and commanders) with some being kinda hybrid would be great. Like, Franz shouldn't be able to stand toe to toe with most people, but getting one or two redline buffs would help a lot!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 3, 2022

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Remake the redline skills into command spells, ie targeted buffs and debuffs. Instead of unit specifik they are archetype specifik like "Hold the line" gives MD, MD+Mass and then MD+Mass+Charge Defence vs large and another is maybe "Push Through" and it's MA, MA+Charge, MA+Charge+Mass(Thinking is that higher mass on cav helps it push through infantry).

There now you can have a support commander that is actually fun and engaging to play while not making certain units OP and discouraging using ally units.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Noir89 posted:

Remake the redline skills into command spells, ie targeted buffs and debuffs. Instead of unit specifik they are archetype specifik like "Hold the line" gives MD, MD+Mass and then MD+Mass+Charge Defence vs large and another is maybe "Push Through" and it's MA, MA+Charge, MA+Charge+Mass(Thinking is that higher mass on cav helps it push through infantry).

There now you can have a support commander that is actually fun and engaging to play while not making certain units OP and discouraging using ally units.

I like this, good idea.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Excited to play Xenophilic Militarist humans with the dogs of war mod

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

WoC are getting a rework, and although we know literally nothing about it, I'm gonna make some basic guesses:

- I suspect they'll be remade into a kind of quasi-horde, akin to the Beastmen but a bit more advanced than that. I can see them retaining their current recruitment style, but I think it would be interesting to see them have a bit more emphasis on capturing some territory and setting up Chaos citadels or something. Beastmen herdstones are cool and make sense: now imagine if Archaon and friends could convert a captured major settlement into a fortress that allows them to set up recruitment/replenishment, and prevents colonization in the surrounding area? Something like that?

- The Prince's favor system seems like it could be easily adapted into a more generic thing for WoC. Instead of build-a-LL you can get access to some of the demons from the monogods, by dedicating poo poo to them. Some kind of quid pro quo thing, rather than devotion since neither Archie nor Kholek are really big on devotion to chaos, per se. CA could take the basic idea and run with it to make it more thematic for WoC.

- Sigvald might end up becoming a Slaanesh lord, but I'm not 100% sure of it. I'm wondering if he'll stay in the WoC but end up in an Alarielle style situation where he can access a chunk of the Slaanesh roster. That might be a more interesting solution than simply making him a monogod Slaanesh LL: imagine if he could field both the WoC roster AND select units from the Slaaneshi roster. Heartseekers and Daemonettes as your hammer, with Chosen as your anvil? Holy poo poo. (I don't know if they'd let you play with the top tier stuff, but I can dream/someone would mod it in anyway). I mean, you can do this with outposts right now, but imagine if you didn't NEED to use outposts?

- They really need to spread everyone out. Archie can stay where he is, but the other two need to move away from there. Ideally, someone ends up around Lustria or the Southlands, and someone else is around Cathay or the Darklands/MoM. One of the issues with the chaos invasion right now is that it is mostly a Karl/Malekith/Katarin problem, and no one else's. Spread the murder wagons around.

- There should probably be a 4th LL. I'm guessing we might get one as a FLC when IE drops, or maybe two if they do move Sigvald to Slaanesh? Idk. There's more than enough Chaos characters to throw into the pot. I mean, gently caress, no one knows who Ghorst is and he got a LL slot. Go wild.

- Slambo. That is all.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Noir89 posted:

This would be awesome because you could give these to heroes too and during reinforcement battles red line skills are a cluster gently caress because they don't apply to the other army so now the skills would be able to spread out. Stuff like this will be modded in so it's awesome. I'd like to see if the rank 7 buffs could also be reworked to just be automatically applied to anything that's all gold chevroned to differentiate and value veteran units.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gonkish posted:

I look forward to Nurgle armies with Skaven artillery to back them up. Ku'gath + Nurgle grinders + plague catapults + warp lightning cannons? Nothing will survive long enough to get into melee.

I've done it with Moulder in WH3 but they never got to the lightning cannons thanks to Kostaltyn.

I did it with Nurgle in WH3 and it was great, up until the moment the dwarf opponent had half a dozen gyrocopters and ruined my day, poor great unclean ones didn't stand a chance.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Tankbuster posted:

Stat changes to units on the campaign and battle are given via unit sets in the database and most red line buffs are designed just for the unit sets of the faction itself. So the answer is no.

I mostly meant things on the yellow line with the Dwarven Engineers and the Vampire Ghost Gunnery Wights, since in Markus' campaign you can get a Dwarf Engineer who can buff the poo poo out of your artillery off of his yellow line.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Noir89 posted:

Traditional redline trees should only be for select LL's, and only very narrow. So Thorek has a skill that buffs quarrelers because he's THE arch-conservative, but no other dawi lord has this skill. Alith Anar buffs his shadow warriors, Skarsnik his gobbos, Grimgor his black orcs, etc.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Noir89 posted:

Because of the way they've designed the UI giving commanders even more activated abilities means that something will be pushed off the UI and you have no control over what that will be. Every icon has to be a certain size and fit around a circle of a certain size. I think the max abilities or spells the UI can display is 6. Which is why every lore of magic has exactly 6 spells.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Because of the way they've designed the UI giving commanders even more activated abilities means that something will be pushed off the UI and you have no control over what that will be. Every icon has to be a certain size and fit around a circle of a certain size. I think the max abilities or spells the UI can display is 6. Which is why every lore of magic has exactly 6 spells.

I mean this problem was solved literally day 1 of TWW1 with Mannfred who gets the full Lore of Death and Lore of Vampires and can switch between them in the UI.

Still weird he's the only character they extended this to considering how packed TWW2 was with the most powerful mages in the setting.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think they kind of fixed it in WH3, didnt they? toggle bars are a really solved ui problem anyways, i kind of wish they would let you have hotkeys for all your units and not just the ones youve got selected as well.

that is the best idea ive heard for making red skills less boring / more versatile, im going to yell about it every chance i get now.

it also helps solve a problem ive felt where, due to leadership being generally high for all armies compared to historical titles, stuff like general aura and lead bonus are never as impactful as one feels like they should be. ive also felt tho that leadership should behave more like stress in the old Gettysburg game where instead of having a bunch of flat modifiers primarily based on total damage taken, its like fatigue where you just gradually start accumulating stress that leaves you more vulnerable to morale shocks - morale should really feel a lot less 'stable' than it does, since historically swings in battlefield sentiment caused by random poo poo was the decisive element, not killing power, and generally is a more interesting thing narratively as well, imo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zore posted:

I mean this problem was solved literally day 1 of TWW1 with Mannfred who gets the full Lore of Death and Lore of Vampires and can switch between them in the UI.

Still weird he's the only character they extended this to considering how packed TWW2 was with the most powerful mages in the setting.

afaik that only works on the spell bar? It works for any lord that has access to multiple lores of magic. I don't have any of them installed to check but I'm 90% sure that doesn't happen for portrait bar with activated abilities and bound spells.

I guess the easy workaround is to just make it a functionally a new lore of magic.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPhpGM78MH0

I just remembered the memes about the super tanky Bretonnian peasants in ME, and now I kind of want someone to do that in IE, just for the sheer absurdity of it.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

The Cathay magistrate is already making a play for this in their single pick yellow line stuff. More factions and lords honestly need that poo poo, god I hate the red line. It just boring.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

You could technically add auras if you can't get activate skills but it could also just be a global ability too. I kinda wish stand your ground was also a global skill that you could drop so there might be something to removing red line buffs and giving it purely to active global skills in battle.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

the old wood elf tree line was perfect - two separate branches for ranged and melee, each tree started with a command ability (eyes of kurnos and call of the woods) and the actual redline skills were unit agnostic and applied to the lords army.

also command abilities should appear on the side of screen with global abilities, gently caress having to micro my lord around

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Would you hurry up and fix arcane surge?? what the gently caress?? LORD OF CHANGE FIX YOUR loving ARMY

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I personally find the lord RPG element really boring, especially once you reach a point where you've got like 5 lords and 10 heroes running around. I would be totally fine with them just baking 90% of that poo poo into level-up mechanics. Like, every 2 levels your whole army gets +1% melee/missile strength, every other level they get +1 md/ma, every 5 levels you get +1% replenishment, whatever. Level up lord get strong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or, at the VERY least, let me allocate level ups and sequence in advance, and just automatically do it. Don't make me go through 5 menus after every battle trying to remember where THIS guy was at progression-wise.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I have to heartily disagree! I love leveling up. gently caress yeah. Ding! Dad are you proud yet? Are you?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the only really fun skill trees are the ones where you get big abilities or one of those mutually exclusive trees like gorebulls get, and getting new spells. the lord unique trees are usually a fairly meaty set of abilities but the stock yellow, red, and blue lines are so boring. it somehow always feels like a meaningless boost, but also like youre loving yourself in other areas by not going for those tiny boosts.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Or, at the VERY least, let me allocate level ups and sequence in advance, and just automatically do it. Don't make me go through 5 menus after every battle trying to remember where THIS guy was at progression-wise.

Goodness gracious yes. This busywork every single turn, that involves little in the way of actual thought, is grinding and tedious.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

maybe empire lords

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

bring back lordless armies

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

99pct of germs posted:

bring back lordless armies

:hai:

Why hire some schmuck when you can have your generals earn their position in combat?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just templates and an auto-apply toggle, duh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Most of the time you're going to level every lord of a specific type in the same exact way anyway, so yeah it does get pretty tedious to slam the exact same skill choices on Boyar #3 or whatever. Heroes are even worse because they have far less options.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
especially slaanesh when I am encouraged to have 40 cultists on the map the leveling up is the worst

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I guess I kind of get into my guys a little more. They are pretty personalized to me. My guys.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

I guess I kind of get into my guys a little more. They are pretty personalized to me. My guys.

Even if you are deciding on the fly what skill to take next, that only covers about every third level-up. The majority of level-ups involve taking more points in the skill you already took, with no new skills unlocked.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use a respec mod because I don’t want to invest too much thought into a lord that is less than 20. Very disappointing losing a uniquely named/built lord

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Even if you are deciding on the fly what skill to take next, that only covers about every third level-up. The majority of level-ups involve taking more points in the skill you already took, with no new skills unlocked.

Yeah I love it

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I should have a counter argument I suppose. Have you seen that you can watch the xp bars fill up?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Twigand Berries posted:

I should have a counter argument I suppose. Have you seen that you can watch the xp bars fill up?

Nah, honestly "I like the thing that you don't." is enough of a counterargument, it's OK to enjoy things. I just find my brain totally disengages as I level up Saurus Scar Veteran #473 in exactly the same way I have leveled up every prior Saurus Scar Veteran, because it is the best way. I can see there being, like, a dopamine rush of allocating new skills, but for me it just gets in the way of getting to the next fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

Nah, honestly "I like the thing that you don't." is enough of a counterargument, it's OK to enjoy things. I just find my brain totally disengages as I level up Saurus Scar Veteran #473 in exactly the same way I have leveled up every prior Saurus Scar Veteran, because it is the best way. I can see there being, like, a dopamine rush of allocating new skills, but for me it just gets in the way of getting to the next fight.

90% of my substantial playtime has been high should probably be in my avatar