Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saxophone posted:

Apparently QTE are no longer tied to frame rate in emulated XBX. The tablet map is a small annoyance in that you either need a second monitor, pr you can hold tab to bring it up and use your mouse on it. But even with that, I’ll gladly take a wonky map interface for all the benefits the game gets through emulation.

Unless your PC can’t run it or you just have a massive need to play it on the Wii U I’d say emulated is probably the definitive way to play it.

Yeah, I've had a fine time with QTEs; not sure if they're at the original speed or not, though.

While the emulated version has the option to automatically succeed QTEs, I actually sort of like them. It feels neat to quickly do abilities while nailing the soul voice QTEs between them.

I ended up turning them off in XB2 for specials, since I'd rather get to actually watch the animations (which you can't really pay attention to while doing the QTE).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I've had a fine time with QTEs; not sure if they're at the original speed or not, though.

While the emulated version has the option to automatically succeed QTEs, I actually sort of like them. It feels neat to quickly do abilities while nailing the soul voice QTEs between them.

I ended up turning them off in XB2 for specials, since I'd rather get to actually watch the animations (which you can't really pay attention to while doing the QTE).

I set the little dealy to make them not speed up.

Auto succeeding seems meh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saxophone posted:

I set the little dealy to make them not speed up.

Auto succeeding seems meh.

I think it's partly that the QTEs in XBX are optional buffs that exist separately from other game mechanics, so I don't mind them. If you're on the ball, you get some mid-battle buffs and healing (or save on your Skell insurance).

But the QTEs in XB2 are just "do you want to do full damage with this special attack?" (I assume that's what they determine). So I don't mind turning them off.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/1531170715864510464?s=20&t=JkpHGF1f0HpAKxRe8Xo8qA

TO YOU!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:sickos:

I don't even know why I'm happy, the series could probably do without half three quarters of its needlessly convoluted mechanics.

Still, :sickos:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It looks like you can go ahead and craft a gem using coins if you don't have all the required materials. In that screenshot they can spend 8 Gold Coins to craft the gem even though they're missing some components.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

why am i so excited that gems are back

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N8ZVGJV-l8

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

X Revisited Chat: Skell combat is still really bad! Both Fuel being a resource that has to be managed between battles and there being a tangible death penalty (even though you can avoid it by being ok at the QTE) feel really anti-ethical to the whole Xenoblade vibe, and it's a little annoying that the refuel/recovery location is the literal one place in the entire game that will always have a load screen transition.

The character building is all thrown out for just equipping weapons, and while ground combat's Overdrive is poorly explained chaos, once you get the hang of it it's an actual gameplay mechanic, while Skell Overdrive is "you get a small handful of specific buffs." Sometimes you enter Cockpit mode, where you're invincible and all your weapons are immediately ready to use, but you can't move, so if the enemy moves out of your range you're just kind of stuck sitting there. And speaking of sitting there, the Stagger -> Bind mechanic is pretty heavily weighted towards "the player character should do it" because the AI characters are really bad at maintaining the bind.

Anyway I hope X2, coming 2024 to the Nintendo 2witch, does a better job with the giant robot combat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Christ, party members have no idea how to deal with water in XBX. They'll literally just wander into the water where they can no longer use any abilities and sit there without moving until they die. I died in this fight and two party members had over 3000 TP to revive me, and they just sat there in the water getting hit until they died.

edit: And also any place where you might need to ascend or descend to attack an enemy. I'm in this cave with elevated paths and people just keep falling off the paths or aggroing people below the paths and can't attack the enemies being aggroed.

TurnipFritter posted:

X Revisited Chat: Skell combat is still really bad! Both Fuel being a resource that has to be managed between battles and there being a tangible death penalty (even though you can avoid it by being ok at the QTE) feel really anti-ethical to the whole Xenoblade vibe, and it's a little annoying that the refuel/recovery location is the literal one place in the entire game that will always have a load screen transition.

The character building is all thrown out for just equipping weapons, and while ground combat's Overdrive is poorly explained chaos, once you get the hang of it it's an actual gameplay mechanic, while Skell Overdrive is "you get a small handful of specific buffs." Sometimes you enter Cockpit mode, where you're invincible and all your weapons are immediately ready to use, but you can't move, so if the enemy moves out of your range you're just kind of stuck sitting there. And speaking of sitting there, the Stagger -> Bind mechanic is pretty heavily weighted towards "the player character should do it" because the AI characters are really bad at maintaining the bind.

Anyway I hope X2, coming 2024 to the Nintendo 2witch, does a better job with the giant robot combat.

Yeah, it's a shame since the way Skells look and move is awesome. Fuel hasn't really bothered me much, though; I never seem at risk of running out (though that's partly because I don't really prefer using Skells for fights unless I'm fighting big things, which isn't super common).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 30, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You can put together some fun builds with skells, I remember enjoying making some custom ones that could take down the superbosses in postgame.

Sadly a lot of skell weapons are very opaque "There's ~12 enemies in the entire world the right type and level to drop the weapon you want" nonsense that made it impossible to do anything without constantly referencing a guide, but it was satisfying seeing it all come together and turning my mech into an invincible shmup boss.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There's this crappy shoulder bow skell weapon that I think literally only drops off a single optional simulator fight. Those drops are very silly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

Sadly a lot of skell weapons are very opaque "There's ~12 enemies in the entire world the right type and level to drop the weapon you want" nonsense that made it impossible to do anything without constantly referencing a guide
this is actually just the entire game

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Someone translated the UI and it seems similar to how aux cores were created in 2 in that it uses enemy materials

https://twitter.com/Technoblast649/status/1531172488222281728

Also the ability to pay with 'coins' instead of (or in addition to?) materials, whatever that means. Gut says coins will be some sort of side quest reward, maybe a way to shortcut various grinds?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading that apparently XB3 will be an open world game in the same way as XBX (where there aren't separated zones). Interesting if true (and it seems pretty plausible it's true from what we've seen of the zones).

It also seems like the "heroes" you add as the last optional party member might be sorta like the replacement for Blades in XB2 - basically extra characters you can maybe do quests for and build affinity with, and which can give skills to your main characters.

edit: I wonder if there might even be Classes linked to the extra hero characters as you unlock them
edit2: actually I think this is probably true, since one of the clips shows a character summoning a shield (which definitely isn't any of the main party members' weapons) to use a skill, so that had to have come from someone else

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 31, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Omobono posted:

No I meant, in Final Fantasy X-2 for example Yuna equips Tidus's Brotherhood sword when switching to the warrior dresssphere, while Payne and Rikku have their own sword.

I was just wondering about visuals, not gameplay.

I feel dumb for not noticing/remembering sooner, but it will be the exact some look on each character.

Noah is wearing the exact getup as Taion when playing as a healer in the second trailer.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I feel dumb for not noticing/remembering sooner, but it will be the exact some look on each character.

Noah is wearing the exact getup as Taion when playing as a healer in the second trailer.

I'm amused that our characters power up by wearing a friend's spare jacket, but this means character appearance is tied to your class, not your equipment :negative:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/mitsukianatoshi/status/1531506369123295232

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm amused that our characters power up by wearing a friend's spare jacket, but this means character appearance is tied to your class, not your equipment :negative:

Hey, at least it's something - XB2 had zero appearance customization to speak of.

I've been enjoying the huge number of armor/weapon appearances in XBX, though it's hard to make characters look good due to each arm having its own armor slot, so I'll have like one arm that's covered in heavy army and the other that is just the shoulder of a t-shirt - is there some glamour option I'm missing?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Hey, at least it's something - XB2 had zero appearance customization to speak of.

I've been enjoying the huge number of armor/weapon appearances in XBX, though it's hard to make characters look good due to each arm having its own armor slot, so I'll have like one arm that's covered in heavy army and the other that is just the shoulder of a t-shirt - is there some glamour option I'm missing?

Press... X, or whatever button says "open the sub-menu" on the bottom of the gear screen and you'll see the fashion menu. Unless you're playing the Japanese version, in which case you have to either buy the DLC or complete the main story first. Unlike in Xeno1DE, where owning a piece of gear would unlock the style for the fashion menu, the actual gear itself is considered in-use when worn as fashion so you can't like, let everyone wear the Heart Glasses at the same time.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 1, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

Press... X, or whatever button says "open the sub-menu" on the bottom of the gear screen and you'll see the fashion menu. Unless you're playing the Japanese version, in which case you have to either buy the DLC or complete the main story first. Unlike in Xeno1DE, where owning a piece of gear would unlock the style for the fashion menu, the actual gear itself is considered in-use when worn as fashion so you can't like, let everyone wear the Heart Glasses at the same time.

Oh sweet, that's great to know, thanks! Gonna make all my people look cool now.

I guess it makes sense, since it'd be really weird to have all those costumes and no good way to use them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ytlaya posted:

Sounding a lot like this guy didn't unlock Tora's anime waifu pyra shirt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's also Pyra's hood and Mythra Smash Version, both of which I like better than their default designs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: I don't like the way leveling party members works in Xenoblade X. It seems unavoidable that your character ends up many levels higher than other party members, since party members get zero XP out of combat and there are a large number of them. The emulation mods let you turn up XP, but I don't want my own character to get over-leveled so that's not a great option.

Currently my character is level 32 and most of my party members range from like 20-25.

edit2: It's neat how the Skell vehicle modes appear to control differently. Since I hit 30 I got a new Skell (the "Formula" one, because it looks cool), and this one is *much* easier to turn in vehicle mode than the starting level 20 one. The level 20 one can only turn very slowly, but this one can sorta drift more like you're on an actual motorcycle.

ImpAtom posted:

There's also Pyra's hood and Mythra Smash Version, both of which I like better than their default designs.

There are also those Nopon Sage DLC outfits I guess, but I never did any of that content.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 1, 2022

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Eventually you'll hit the point where your party members are just there for show, because whatever they do in battle makes no difference.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lots of cool action cutscenes in chapter 8 of XBX. Though it's kind of funny how the cutscenes will frequently show your party on foot confronting some Skell-sized (or greater) enemy.

Yesterday I bought the (level 30) Amdusias Skell, which is significantly stronger than both the other Skells I've used (the level 20 Urban and level 30 Formula). Its weapon with a back attack bonus (forget if this was default or one I bought from the shop) in particular is ridiculously strong if you do a back attack and lets me take on stuff 10-15 levels higher (does at least like 30-40k total).

Also Fuel seems like it's never even remotely a problem. Maybe this becomes a bigger issue once you get better weapons that use more fuel? I somehow never seem to run low, I think because grabbing enemies restores fuel or something.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/1531888805162397696?s=20&t=fYVZdz26NuLC68lJ5P0adA

Animation work looking good.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/article/a4c0a78d-e993-4fae-8c8e-62c5927040fa

All about Arts (In Japanese)

Arts are assigned to the B/X/Y buttons like in Xenoblade 2. Arts are based on classes.

Noah's Swordfighter class is an Attacker that specializes in positional attacking. "Sword Strike" deals more damage from the side, while "Thrust Edge" deals more damage from behind.

Mio's Zephyr class is a Defender that specializes in evasion. "Butterfly Edge" draws Aggro, and "Air Fang" deals more damage when the enemy is targeting you.

Sena's Crusher class is an Attacker that can break through an enemy's guard (I don't know if this specifically means, like, blocking, or if it just means she hits hard enough that it overcomes high defense enemies). Because of the high damage output , you gain Aggro quickly.

Lanz's Heavy Guard is a Defender, specializes in drawing Aggro and tanking.

Eunie's Medic Gunner is a Support that can put down healing and buff zones. Healing allies also draws Aggro.

Taion's Tactician is Support that can put enemies to sleep and buff allies. At least he look cool!

Each class has five Arts, but only three can be equipped at a given time.

Each class has a special Talent Art. Your Talent Art gauge fills up when you do things related to your role, which roughly are: Attacker classes attacking from the back and side, Defender classes blocking or evading, and Healer classes healing or buffing allies. Seems like it could be annoying, but we'll see!

The Swordfighter Talent Art is Exceed Buster, which deals a lot of damage (and even more damage to Stun enemies). Zephyr's Gemini Strikes boosts evasion and draws Aggro.

The Keves class's Arts recharge over time, the Agnus's class's Arts recharge with auto-attacks.

You can Master Arts from a class and use it in any class, but it looks like the slots are level locked. Anyway that's what's on the Left Arts palette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbOB6F7yPJk

You can activate Fusion Arts to combine the left (Arts you've mastered from other classes) and the right (Arts from your current class) Art palettes to use two Arts at the same time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While there's not a lot of new information there, I'll be curious to see how the thing with "Keves/Agnes arts charging differently" balances. Since characters can use Arts from different Classes, we know that a character can use Arts that charge in different ways at the same time (I believe at least one of the clips directly shows this, with the left Arts charging differently). It'll maybe be something like the Keves Arts taking longer to charge but having stronger effects.

One thing that is new is that I think this might be the first clip where we directly see a character with 3 left Arts equipped. It was kind of obvious that this would probably be the case, but still good to see confirmation.

In general I think I like the way the new combat system seems like it's going to focus more heavily on positioning and interactions between the party members. Seems more interesting than the XB2/Torna system where everything mostly just revolved around doing Specials and damage output through Chain Attacks.

edit: I also really like what we can hear of the (I guess) Unique Monster battle theme in these clips (the ones from Note 3/4).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 3, 2022

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

In general I think I like the way the new combat system seems like it's going to focus more heavily on positioning and interactions between the party members. Seems more interesting than the XB2/Torna system where everything mostly just revolved around doing Specials and damage output through Chain Attacks.

I’m just worried because the words positioning and A.I. controlled party members usually don’t go well together.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the presentation in this game is looking way smoother than XC2. the only thing i'm still worried about is the localisation's voice direction. the lines from the english trailer felt somewhat inconsistent which is the telltale sign of lacking direction. 2 had a huge issue with this, as we know, and i haven't played future connected but apparently it also does?

i have to wonder what happened after 1 which had to have really good direction with how pitch-perfect everyone's delivery is

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Amppelix posted:

the presentation in this game is looking way smoother than XC2. the only thing i'm still worried about is the localisation's voice direction. the lines from the english trailer felt somewhat inconsistent which is the telltale sign of lacking direction. 2 had a huge issue with this, as we know, and i haven't played future connected but apparently it also does?

i have to wonder what happened after 1 which had to have really good direction with how pitch-perfect everyone's delivery is

They switched studios between 1 and 2. I forget their names, but the studio that dubbed 1 went on to do the Witcher games. They stuck on with the studio that dubbed 2 for Future Connected and I have no reason to believe they switched to another studio for 3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
FC's voice direction was fine I think. Shulk and Melia sounded a little off but the nopon and NPCs were all fine, it was still a step above 2 and Torna

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The X3 VAs seem solid so far imo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well that would definitely explain it lol

i guess we'll see then. btw it's still really weird to me how they simultaneously went the extra mile for 2's voices by deciding to have a single accent per country and actually getting appropriate actors as such and then went halfway to wasting that effort with the voice direction. i guess those decisions might have been made by different people at possibly even different companies though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ethiser posted:

I’m just worried because the words positioning and A.I. controlled party members usually don’t go well together.

I'm just going to just cross my fingers that this works okay. Being able to switch party members will help some. Maybe they'll have a good custom AI system (I feel like I remember FF12 doing this well, so it's weird that more games don't do it).

Amppelix posted:

Yeah, I couldn't deal with the localization in 2. 1's is great (and X's is, while nothing amazing, "at least as good as the JP, with some characters being better").

2 simply had too many lines that felt awkward and took me out of a scene. Doesn't bother me that much since there's always the reliable JP dub to fall back on, but it'd be nice to have something like XC1's dub again.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At the very least it’ll be funny, as towards the end of XC2 it became so obvious the VAs had no loving clue as to the context of their lines to the point of comedy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Malos's VA owned that's what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Malos's VA owned that's what I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5S4r2p9x34