Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

X-O posted:

I mean if the meme had gone on too much longer it would've been too old for him to show any interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I kind of love that we somehow got Sony to green light an produce a second Morbius film on the back of a meme. And I'd really love it if it killed both Jared Leto's acting career and Sony's weird desire to keep making Spiderman spin-offs no one wants to see.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Question IRL posted:

If Leto is smart he'll go along with the meme stuff publicly. Even if privately he hates it.

And if he doesn't, Sony should just recast him but do it in the dumbest manner possible. Like have his character get attacked by a Wampa right at the start of the film, and he puts on Matt Smiths face and now he's played by Matt Smith.
For the rest of the film have people be like "you look different. Did you get a haircut?" but otherwise just roll with it.

"did you get a haircut" "Morb or less, yeah :drac: "

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

I don't know how relevant Beavis and Butthead are in 2022, but this was a nice surprise in the trailer for their new movie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
if the last revival proved anything it's that they'll be relevant whenever they reappear

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Soonmot posted:

Snakes on a Plane was actually fun though.

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Anora posted:

I kind of love that we somehow got Sony to green light an produce a second Morbius film on the back of a meme. And I'd really love it if it killed both Jared Leto's acting career and Sony's weird desire to keep making Spiderman spin-offs no one wants to see.

There is no second movie. The first one is going back into theaters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/jonathanmb32/status/1533117815246536706?s=20&t=4RfWtBa-0ymI7Xc4Ef5w0Q

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Loooooooooooooooooooooooool

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/LateSummerLouie/status/1533127328666107905

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So $82 per theater works out to what, an average of 5 people per theater, give or take?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Life is beautiful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Such Morbin.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
All true morbheads are watching it 24/7 twitch streams for the full chat experience

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
At least one person has posted Morbius on Twitter, as in the entire movie, as a series of two-minute clips.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/SuperFoxcade/status/1533145329620529152
https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1533202001831395328
https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1533204753882107904

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lessbius

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Samovar posted:

Lessbius

her name was Sappho actually

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I am curious what the cost is to Sony for doing that re-run. Like is there a setup where Sony doesn’t have to pay much at al to the theaters that ran it but lost whatever potential revenue could have been earned in its place?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cant' see it costing too much. Isn't everything digital these days and I doubt theaters are gonna be deleting stuff. But that's just a guess on things.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm guessing they have to pay some kind of nominal fee to reserve screens in the theaters at least

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

I am a doctor

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

stinky pinky

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Vintersorg posted:

I cant' see it costing too much. Isn't everything digital these days and I doubt theaters are gonna be deleting stuff. But that's just a guess on things.

Cinema format digital movies have large enough file sizes that the way most movie studios distribute them is via encrypted hard drives mailed to every movie theater. Some of them use a format where the decryption key that the studio sends is only valid for a set amount of time, which is the window covered by the distribution deal negotiated by the studio. In that case the cinemas literally do just delete the thing from their systems as soon as it's over, because it's just a dead file at that point.

Morbius was down to 83 screens before Sony re-released it, so at minimum Sony had to pay the costs to mail a new hard drive to up to 1000 theaters.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The trouble is that however it hurts Sony, I suspect the cinemas will take a much harder hit, especially given their precarious post-pandemic situation.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ths cost to mail out hard drives was honestly probably covered by the meager return, and movie studios are geniuses at spinning losses into tax breaks and write offs, so if anything they probably made a bunch of money by losing money.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ths cost to mail out hard drives was honestly probably covered by the meager return, and movie studios are geniuses at spinning losses into tax breaks and write offs, so if anything they probably made a bunch of money by losing money.

It's not just "mailing out hard drives". Studios split money with theater chains for that screen space when they're re-rereleasing movies, and given we're talking about a movie that's months old and didn't set the world on fire on release, they almost definitely had to pay a premium chunk of the ticket sales for those 1,000 screens. I doubt any significant profit was made by this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ticket splits scale with age of release anyway, so they were already going to be low.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

Ticket splits scale with age of release anyway, so they were already going to be low.

yeah isn't it like all theater money after the first two weeks?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know I'm very late to the party on this one but I just saw The Batman last night and I kinda loved it. It's probably my second favorite Batman film after Batman '66. And for those of you that may not know me, no I'm not joking. Gave me strong David Fincher vibes. Zodiac is one my favorite films ever. It doesn't touch that in any way but there's definitely a strong influence there in more than just Riddler=Zodiac.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh it’s a lot like Zodiac for sure. I rewatched that movie last year and the new Batman clearly takes a lot from David Fincher films, including a bit of Se7en

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I adored The Batman and I don't think it's wild to have it up there in terms of the Batman films. I liked it quite a bit more than any of the Nolan films.

It helps that I love Pattinson.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I liked it more than Nolan's films too. It nails the "gritty" atmosphere that the people making Batman are so in love with right now without forgetting how goofy the entire premise is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was pretty MIA when it came out so I didn't know what the reception to it was in general. Not that I expect it to really change anything in future movies but I like the lesson of Bruce learning that hey maybe a quest for ruthless vengeance is setting a bad precedent.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

X-O posted:

I know I'm very late to the party on this one but I just saw The Batman last night and I kinda loved it. It's probably my second favorite Batman film after Batman '66.

West is the best live-action Batman. I will entertain no arguments against.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1534314596059717633?s=20&t=lRyg4SblSDXslj80lXtk7Q

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No thanks

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Everyone one deserves to see themselves represented in media, and I guess that includes 50 year old violent incels.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Time to start the meme rumor mill that the villain of it will be Jared Leto as a different Joker. Or let's be more realistic Jared Leto as the Morber, the crown prince of Morb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joker 2: Joker v. Joker starring Leto and Phoenix