Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Did they replace Helen's VA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I was pretty gosh darn confused at first but thankfully this promo managed to have a character explain the joke out loud

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Das Boo posted:

I say everything's coming up Milhouse whether that thing is good or bad.

:yossame:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I say everything's coming up Milhouse whether that thing is good or bad.

I threaten to kick people's butts... at Nintendo.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Immediate lmao hearing marge's voice
So cool they got danny devito

she sounds like she swallowed broken glass at this point

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Someone like that would never lower themselves to using a grocery store restroom. This is so unrealistic. My immersion!!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Just have the nuclear plant meltdown and destroy all of Springfield already.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
A Fallout themed episode would suit Marges voice at least

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Outpost22 posted:

Just have the nuclear plant meltdown and destroy all of Springfield already.

That's been the plot of at least one halloween episode I'm pretty sure.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Fingerless Gloves posted:

War never changes, Homie

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

But the Lovejoys make so little the Reverend can’t afford his own Bible?

This has vibes of the writing in GTAV when every store and billboard must be a strained one off joke, rather than giving them plausible consistent names to build immersion. The names Duff Beer and Buzz cola aren’t jokes but their existence gave us Duffman and the Duff brewery tour.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fingerless Gloves posted:

HRMP. Friends with smoothskins. Yeah right.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've always thought the simpsons was bad, but I really only saw the episodes after season 21 22, what's the "good" seasons of the Simpsons. Are there any? People seem to love it.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Boba Pearl posted:

I've always thought the simpsons was bad, but I really only saw the episodes after season 21 22, what's the "good" seasons of the Simpsons. Are there any? People seem to love it.

Generally people really enjoy seasons 1 all the way through to season 33.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

2-8. YMMV on 2

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

PostNouveau posted:

1-8. YMMV on 1

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yeah, I never understood the dislike for the first season. It’s great!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

For sure I recently rewatched and it was much better than I remembered. Albert Brooks’ RV salesman is an all timer, Krusty getting busted, and Homer trying to get good at punch out are all fantastic. Yes not in contention for all timers but I’d put the writing and heart ahead of S9 and I like most of S9.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

9-10 are okay, but definitely showing signs of decay.

The latest genuinely good episode that I can remember is Trilogy of Error.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

the tone was off. It was great for the time, season 2 was far better, but didn't start to *feel* like the classic Simpsons seasons until "Three Men and a Comic Book"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Which episode is the one where Homer is crying over the credits about how rich everyone in them is?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the tone was off. It was great for the time, season 2 was far better, but didn't start to *feel* like the classic Simpsons seasons until "Three Men and a Comic Book"

The tone is gonna be off for almost any TV show’s first season; Simpsons not excluded. A first season sets up characters, setting, and tone that will always change and evolve with time, and while it certainly isn’t the best season of The Simpsons, it’s still great!

But yes, the show really found its purpose in the second season. “Bart Gets an F” is the season opener and probably has the best example of childhood failure I’ve seen in media. It’s a real gut punch.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

But yes, the show really found its purpose in the second season. “Bart Gets an F” is the season opener and probably has the best example of childhood failure I’ve seen in media. It’s a real gut punch.

11 year old me cried watching that episode on first airing :v:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which episode is the one where Homer is crying over the credits about how rich everyone in them is?

The Mansion Family. I don't remember the season but it's a real bad episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

9-10 are okay, but definitely showing signs of decay.

Yeah people act like the good ones stop at S8 but there are a lot of good ones up till like S12, there's just a few stinkers in there you have to skip past.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think the last time I saw a 'new' episode of the Simpsons was probably about 6 or 8 years ago. I seem to recall it being something of a controversial episode with some sort of investigation or something? Like Lisa trying to solve a mystery, maybe.

I don't even remember the episode, just the fan reaction, for some reason.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

WampaLord posted:

Yeah people act like the good ones stop at S8 but there are a lot of good ones up till like S12, there's just a few stinkers in there you have to skip past.

I'd argue that it's more a case of seasons 3-8 being "some of the greatest television ever made" while season 2 and like 9 and 10 are more just "good to great television"

I wouldn't argue that season 2, or season 9 are unwatchable or terrible or even bad, but they are definitely not at the same level as 3-8.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Mansion Family. I don't remember the season but it's a real bad episode.

Is that the one where they house sit for Mr Burns? That had its moments.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think the last time I saw a 'new' episode of the Simpsons was probably about 6 or 8 years ago. I seem to recall it being something of a controversial episode with some sort of investigation or something? Like Lisa trying to solve a mystery, maybe.

I don't even remember the episode, just the fan reaction, for some reason.

I vaguely remembered this too and looked it up, are you thinking of 'The Seemingly Never-Ending Story'? Season 17 (16 years ago!), its the one with the story-within-a-story thing going on.
'

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I always include S2 as golden age Simpsons. So many classic episodes there.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Historically I was a bit skeptical about S2 but having rewatched a bunch of episodes recently it absolutely deserves to be included amongst the classic seasons.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is that the one where they house sit for Mr Burns? That had its moments.

That's the one.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I feel like s1 holds up better as time goes, almost like a good time capsule. Sure it's got flaws, but there's an earnest and whimsical charm in the stories and dialogue, the characters have character, and the animation is interesting to look at.

Cartoons have been getting increasingly self-aware and cynical for 20 years now to the point where it's hard to stand out and be genuinely interesting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You start from the beginning and somewhere around season 13 or 14 you stop. There's a few good episodes after the golden period. They just stop all being bangers after around season 9. There's a definite shift after Phil Hartman's death.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I still maintain that season 1 is really drat good and should never be skipped. It’s not quite as good as s2 and beyond, but it’s still funny and relatable, which old Simpsons excelled at

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Except for the episode where the moral message is “don’t pirate cable.”

Edit: Oh wait, maybe that’s season 2. Still.

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 4, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I did a big rewatch Season 1 just feels different and they haven't quite nailed the show down yet, but there's a lot to like.

Like a weird episode plot where Homer is the uptight one about a work even while Marge is the one getting drunk.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Last Chance posted:

I still maintain that season 1 is really drat good and should never be skipped. It’s not quite as good as s2 and beyond, but it’s still funny and relatable, which old Simpsons excelled at

It also felt a bit weird to try to start a rewatch with S3’s first ep Stark Raving Dad. Jackson aside while it has some moments it’s not a powerhouse episode.

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Except for the episode where the moral message is “don’t pirate cable.”

Edit: Oh wait, maybe that’s season 2. Still.

True… but the “So You’ve Decided to Steal Cable” pamphlet is amazing. Plus they frame it well with being something a little Christian kid would be worried about.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Season 1 is good but mostly with context of what the show will become later. It should never be used to introduce someone to the show, just like neither should anything after season 8 (even if 9-12 are largely still watchable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. Like I see the Simpsons as basically three or four shows, really.
The weird show that was season 1 and to an extent 2.
The Golden Years of 3-8 which is one of the best shows ever put to television.
The good to great years of TV which are like 9-11ish. These are essentially the Golden Years but lesser in quality, but in terms of style and tone quite similar, hence why I'd say 1 isn't part of them, since it's so different, likewise 2 is kind of between.
The Zombie Simpsons horrorshow.

You have, in terms of quality, basically perfection, good/great TV, and unwatchable trash. Like it's kind of interesting how the Simpsons were never really bad, were they? Like they went straight from 'weaker than it used to be but still good' to 'unwatchable'?