Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

CelticPredator posted:

This scene is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. It just wraps every theme into this 5 minute sequence. The way it’s done just wrecks me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCErhM2Yn48

Love it. Like you already know Speed can win when the kid shouts it, it’s just a matter of Speed finally understanding what he wants to do in the face of lies and corruption. He wants to stay pure to the art. And it all interlaced with fast colors and spinning cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
When someone describes Speed Racer as "the perfect movie," I can't help but think that that person would consider a 2-hour long incredibly colorful seizure-inducing flashing screen as peak cinema. There's things that are fun in it, but every time I hear someone arguing about how great it is, it inevitably devolves into either 1) talking about how it is like the TV show or 2) how there are so many colors and flashing lights and that makes it really good.

The best part of Speed Racer is when the ninja gets knocked down and his house keys + a bunch of shurikens fall out of his ninja suit pockets.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Only real drivers get it bro. You gotta be driven.

Also the movie is a lot of fun.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sony is bringing Morbius back to theaters in the hopes that the online meme campaign will renew interest and make the movie profitable.

They are also testing whether there is enough ironic interest to greenlight a sequel.

quote:

Sony's Morbius movie is returning to theaters, ComicBook.com can confirm. New showtimes for the film will begin on Friday, June 3rd, with @ERCBoxOffice reporting that it will be added to over 1,000+ theaters. This comes over two months after the Marvel Comics-inspired film first made its theatrical debut, and several weeks after the movie already became available to purchase on digital platforms.

Morbius was largely panned by critics upon its original debut, and underperformed at the box office with a domestic total of $73 million and a worldwide total of $163 million. That being said, the film has already developed a cult status upon hitting digital, with Morbius and various "Morb"-related memes trending on Twitter for the better part of the past week, as well as calls from fans to greenlight a sequel. The film also continues to have a passionate online Discord community, and even made headlines after a fan repeatedly streamed it on Twitch in its entirety.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/morbius-return-theaters-social-media-meme-twitter-sony/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When someone describes Speed Racer as "the perfect movie," I can't help but think that that person would consider a 2-hour long incredibly colorful seizure-inducing flashing screen as peak cinema. There's things that are fun in it, but every time I hear someone arguing about how great it is, it inevitably devolves into either 1) talking about how it is like the TV show or 2) how there are so many colors and flashing lights and that makes it really good.

The best part of Speed Racer is when the ninja gets knocked down and his house keys + a bunch of shurikens fall out of his ninja suit pockets.

Lol no one has said either of those things ever

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sony is bringing Morbius back to theaters in the hopes that the online meme campaign will renew interest and make the movie profitable.

They are also testing whether there is enough ironic interest to greenlight a sequel.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/morbius-return-theaters-social-media-meme-twitter-sony/

Movie was on a 70-80M budget, they already made profit, this is to see if memes equal legs aka sequel interest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Morbius just padding it's record as the highest grossing film ever

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

bushisms.txt posted:

Movie was on a 70-80M budget, they already made profit, this is to see if memes equal legs aka sequel interest.

It's grossed about $160 million.

The budget was about $80 million, but that doesn't include advertising and media costs. Plus, the studio only gets about half the revenue from theater sales.

It probably has slightly lost Sony money or just about broke even.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I mean, in all honesty, I feel like this is a smart way to do it.

I’m sure there are some people at Sony who are completely brain dead when it comes to internet irony and they see buzz and would want to green light Morb2 now.

This is a good test that will flop again but not be costly like a Morb2 that would flop.

If the internet wants to play the long con, it would be to pack those theaters and gaslight Sony into making Morbius 2 and letting that one flop.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
They should just ADR in the meme lines now to make their limited audience happy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Isn't the rule of thumb that a movie has to make three times its budget?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

live with fruit posted:

Isn't the rule of thumb that a movie has to make three times its budget?

Based on certain factors, I don't think there is a good rule of thumb these days. You have to take into account what the domestic vs. international split is, whether merchandising and product placement was a factor, ethereal streaming numbers, etc. It used to be double the budget was a solid indicator, but it seems like that's changed.

Not to mention the Hollywood accounting that comes into play (LOTR and Harry Potter notoriously didn't turn a profit).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Didn't Sony start removing references to Spider-Man in the newest Morbius prints?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Didn't Sony start removing references to Spider-Man in the newest Morbius prints?

It's s still at the end. It looks like most of the budget is in that scene so I would expect them to keep it as is.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

M2rbius

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

2Morb 2bius

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Cormac_McCafe/status/1532651231352860672?s=20&t=3GCmz99V_Us5JomozHgU3A

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/jaredleto/status/1532849263809396736?s=21

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cope

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tbh "content" is exactly what I would call that essay

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's oceans of content out there that I think is dumb and bad and ugly from a butt that's as dumb as a butt and also smells bad, I just don't engage with it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, that's a bad article. It doesn't even define the distinction between art and content in anything but the most vague and non-committal terms and basically reheats and simplifies arguments communicated far better by Scorcese himself when he did his own article. It's junk.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Karloff posted:

Yeah, that's a bad article. It doesn't even define the distinction between art and content in anything but the most vague and non-committal terms and basically reheats and simplifies arguments communicated far better by Scorcese himself when he did his own article. It's content.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

guys I’m actually laughing too haha

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

https://twitter.com/rickyberwick/status/1532860429067857923

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, in all honesty, I feel like this is a smart way to do it.

I’m sure there are some people at Sony who are completely brain dead when it comes to internet irony and they see buzz and would want to green light Morb2 now.

This is a good test that will flop again but not be costly like a Morb2 that would flop.

If the internet wants to play the long con, it would be to pack those theaters and gaslight Sony into making Morbius 2 and letting that one flop.

lol that the internet is successfully gaslighting a major corporation

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sony needs help making flops?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If the Sony execs were at all intelligent, this would be the perfect opportunity to release a director's cut of the film.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If the Sony execs were at all intelligent, this would be the perfect opportunity to release a director's cut of the film.

hastily thrown-together shot of jared leto dispassionately saying "it is morbing time"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he’d fully commit like the tryhard he is and everyone would, hopefully/rightfully, turn on the meme

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Remember a simpler time when the audience laughed and cooed to " I'm the juggernaut bitch"?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Upsidads posted:

Remember a simpler time when the audience laughed and cooed to " I'm the juggernaut bitch"?

So you are saying Leto should be Juggernaut?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Upsidads posted:

I have had it with these motherfuckin' snakes on this motherfuckin' plane!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Upsidads posted:

No? I don't know anyone who knew about that video before the line was used in the movie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That’s it, the joke’s dead. Move on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The_Doctor posted:

That’s it, the joke’s dead. Move on.

Kids at my school have started using water guns during the breaks. They are small guns, and their handling hasn't gotten out of hand yet. But you can clearly see things escalating down the line with super soakers and buckets of water and whatnot. My suggestion was regulation through teachers. If we are the ones handing out those guns, using them will become un-fun pretty quickly.

I am the Jared Leto of teachers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hate this country and everyone in it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Upsidads posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8gAhAHuV8

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jedit posted:

No? I don't know anyone who knew about that video before the line was used in the movie.

The video went big about a year before The Last Stand came out.

I saw it in a theater with two college friends who were turbonerds. When the line came, they began cackling like hyenas. I've never been so embarrassed in a theater in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I cringed bc I knew the video well. I was just like no please don’t bleed the internet into movies.

:v: