Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

cdyoung posted:

Does this mean you're also going to do Extella?

That'd be a bit redundant, considering Extella's been done for several years now. :v:

I was planning an Extella Link LP before I decided to do VFD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Bonus Update 2: Cut Content

Extra's issues with biting off more than they could chew is obvious by now, but buried in the game are some remnants of older designs that shows the writers were actually planning on making the game even more expansive! All of this is taken from The Cutting Room Floor's page on Fate/Extra.

First off, we have a scene where Hakuno could have saved Julius during their Week 5 duel:

I want to try and touch what is deep in his heart. I want to save this miserable man. I feel like he wants something so, so desperately- Even if this screws things up, I want to help Julius.

Don't save Julius.

That's what the text dump says.

I just wish that someone would save that poor, tortured man. Before I can decide if this is the right decision or not- Suddenly, a string of light goes from my left hand to Julius.

...My Command...Seal...?! ...You...! ...What are-! Yoouuu-!!

Light overfills the Coliseum. [Saber]/[Archer]/[Caster] is at my side. Followed by silence. However, there is no one else. ...What about Julius?

All Servants chime in here, so consider this a sneak peak at what Saber and Archer are like.

...I do not know! If I did, I still would not tell you! How could you use your Command Seal out of sympathy like that and not ask me...! You turn my stomach! Be gone from my sight!

She's never been so openly hostile toward me before. She must be very angry about what I did. ...But, wait. I've heard her say that she admires kindness before. So why is she angry at me?

Don't be ridiculous! I only enjoy when leniency is bestowed upon me, not when it is given to others!

...Ah, I see. She's just so imperious that I don't dare criticize her. ...She won't talk to me, and I'm exhausted. I should leave.

~

...I dunno. How about you use your Command Seal to find out? You might have actually saved him if you'd used it right...

Archer's brows are furrowed. He must be mad at my decision.

...That's right. I'm annoyed at myself for forgetting you're the most reckless Master in the Holy Grail War. I shouldn't have let my guard down just because you've gotten skilled enough to be my partner. -Jeez. I can't believe what you did.

Meaning, he's angry.

~

The light... Because of the light I couldn't see- But, that was your Command Seal, Master! He must have been saved! ...How compassionate of you to save that gloomy man, Master. That man means a lot to you... Ah, no. It's nothing. Forget I said anything. ...Shall we go now?

The muscles on the edges of Caster's smile are twitching... She must not be very happy with what I did.

Everything is the same for this last part.

A sharp pain courses through my left hand. Of the three Seals branded into my hand, two have disappeared. Only one Command Seal remains- I know what kind of a disadvantage that puts me at in the final stages. But, I do not regret the price that I paid. That moment, the feelings in my heart for him were not false. I wished what I did from the heart-

Most interesting, I find, is that comment about this burning two Command Seals. Losing all three kills you, so that means there must have been either an alternate outcome to the route split on Week 3, or you could have just not intervened at all and end up doing the rest of the Holy Grail War alone.

Up next, we have Hakuno saving Rin, during Week 6:

...Can I stand to lose her forever like this? There's no guarantee that I can save her. Is it too simple of me to think that with my Command Seal I could? If it fails, I will have wasted a Command Seal. But, even so-

Use a Command Seal to save Rin.

Knowing there's a chance I could save her, I have to try. Otherwise I'd regret it the rest of my life. As I hold her disappearing hand, I press the back of my hand...my Command Seal against hers. I'm not sure if its possible to transplant Command Seals, and they're for controlling Servants anyway. ...But, I have a hunch. I'm not human like the other Masters. So maybe, if it's an anomaly like me-

...H-Huh? This is weird. Why am I feeling a surge of power...? W-Wha?! A Command Seal?! Why is it on my hand...? Hey, let me see your hand! I knew it! Why did you use your Command Seal?! And not one, but TWO of them?!

Only one Command Seal remains on my hand, tightly held in Rin's. One of my Command Seals is on Rin's hand. The other must have been consumed to facilitate the miracle.

What were you thinking?! You never should have used your Command Seal right before your battle with Leo! Did you tune out when I was telling you to defeat Leo? Did you do this out of spite or something?! ...Ugh, what am I supposed to feel?

I didn't save her to get a thank you, but I didn't expect to be yelled at. ...Well, that's Rin Tousaka for you. That the firebrand I wanted to save, even if it handicapped me against Leo.

...Oh well. If you want me to live so badly, what are you going to do about it now? You didn't save me just so you could disappoint me, did you? You should be able to trounce Leo without using a Command Seal, right? ...It'll be tough, but you can do it.

She looks away sheepishly. ...It makes me happy to hear words of appreciation out of her mouth, even if they are wry. I know I did the right thing in saving her.

...Oh, and let me know as soon as the Holy Grail War is over, okay? The Harways will be after you. Don't worry, I'll take care of you. They're already after me anyway, so we'll be in the same boat. You can depend on me. I'll protect you after this tournament is over, no matter what.

I tilt my head in puzzlement. Not only is she sure I'll beat Leo, she's making plans for afterward. I think she's getting way too ahead of herself-

Wh-What, isn't it the obvious thing to do?! And wipe that "Oh woe is me!" look off your face! Helping another person is a big deal, right?! And of course you had to go and do just that! To help another person is to take a certain amount of responsibility for their life! Listen, it's a lot easier to stand by and watch someone die than to do something to keep them alive.

...I see. Such an act couldn't be done without compassion. And to save a life is to share in it. All I can do now is prepare and face what comes. I only get this one chance at life. Though saving a life is a great responsibility-

It's far better to save a life than take one. That's right. That's why I'll do everything I can to help you. It's all I can do right now-

~

Don't save Rin.

I'm hesitant to use my Command Seal on a gamble that may not pay off. More importantly, even I was able to save her, I have a feeling she'd be none too happy about it. Yeah, no doubt Rin Tousaka would be pissed that I wasted a Command Seal before my showdown with Leo. And so....there's nothing I can do right now other than stay by her side until the end.

Interestingly, there's no equivalent scene for Rani. Either this whole concept was cut before they could get to her, or Rani would have ended up as your partner by default, and the Rin route was added in later. That line about Hakuno holding Rin's hand is also of note, as it implies that the kill barrier we've been seeing since Week 1 was, at one point, not a thing at all.

If you look back, you'll also notice that most of Rin's conversation ended up getting repurposed for her own route in Week 7, which explains why she got a big scene and Rani didn't. They already had all this written up for Rin in the first place!

Finally, we have a scene where Hakuno could have saved Leo:

It looks like there's a deep pain in his chest, as if his Command Seal is reacting to his heart. Should I leave, knowing that Leo will disappear any moment now? Whoever's it is, death is saddening. If this boy were given the chance to rule the world, he'd do so with compassion now. He'd be able to change society into something better. The world is about to lose a potentially wonderful ruler. Is that right? There's no guarantee that I'll be able to save him. But, if I use a Command Seal...

Use a Command Seal to save Leo.

If this is the last fight, there's no reason to be frugal with my Command Seals. I just can't stand to watch while he disintegrates. I approach the disappearing boy and push my Command Seal against him. And I wish- Save this boy.

...This is...

A Command Seal comes off and the boy's body moves. The rules of the Holy Grail state that those without a Command Seal will be eliminated. Now that Leo has a new Command Seal, he's been given a new life. All that's left on my hand is one of the Command Seals. Transplanting the one must have taken two.

...You saved me. ...The me from before could not have understood your actions at all. But now, I understand completely. Humans make mistakes, even me, who was a failure of a human being. ...Still, you let me live. I will show you my gratitude not with words, but with my actions as king.

He swirls around and walks toward the exit. The world will see him return, and he will fulfill his role as leader. There's no need for him to play knight in this place for any longer. While gazing at his spirited back, I also head to the exit. I have no business here either.

According to a published game script of the game, Fate/EXTRA MOON LOG:TYPEWRITER II (exclusive to Japan, natch), this would have lead to an ending where Leo follows you to the battle with Twice. Hakuno would then send the data on their physical body to Leo, who promises to use the Harway's resources to cure them.

Considering just how much the game suffered just trying to handle two routes, they made the right call in cutting these early. Trying to add in all of them would have made planning out all future weeks an absolute nightmare! Each scene would need a new variation based on if you had Rani (presumably), Rin, neither, both (possibly), whatever the hell Julius would have done (his Week 7 invasion, perhaps?), or Leo, and scenes were already fairly copy paste just from dealing with Rin or Rani.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXXIII - Rebirth

This update covers the events of Updates V-VII.

Since we've, you know, seen the majority of this stuff already, I'll be heavily abridging or even entirely skipping anything that's unchanged. If you want a refresher, I'll be listing where we were on the first run so you can take a look back. If you have no interest in Saber or Archer's playthrough and just wanted to see Extra's main story, feel free to hop to the very end of Saber's run to see the bonus boss and stop there. Extra is a bad game, I don't mind if you decide to call it good here.

For our second playthrough, we'll be going with Saber.

Music: None

The intro bit is unchanged

But this time we'll be going with male Hakuno.

With the same name.

You ever noticed how Hime was never actually used? The nickname might as well just be a save file name.

There he is now!

We chase after Leo.

Go get our effigy.

Do the loving tutorial again come on I just beat the game let me skip this too.

And go die.

Hmm...

I wonder if...?

Yeah, fair.

And finally...

Well spoken, nameless traveler! Even if the world will never hear of your desire, know that I admire and respect it!

Music: Battle - Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea

In fact, your destiny begins now!

The sound of breaking glass is accompanied by a light cutting through the gloom. I manage to move my weary body and aching head to see what's happening. I didn't notice it before, but something was slowly rising up from the floor in the middle of the room. That form-

Our new Servant's dress is...

Certainly, ah, unique.

Its appearance isn't much different from that of a human being, but something was different. Clearly so. The power emanating from it transcended that of any human, or of any enemy I've faced in getting here. An awesome power that seems as if it'd vaporize anyone it touched swirls within my body almost against my will.

Yes.

All right, I give my blessing! I will bestow upon you the honor of being my Master.

~

No.

...What? I do not understand. Your intentions are beyond my ken. ...Hmph. I see that you are from the Orient. Modesty may be esteemed in your culture; you must let it go now. Fortunately, I am tolerant and will allow you a single mistake. —So, you are my Master, correct?

...I nod almost reflexively in response to her overwhelming haughtiness, which seems to more than compensate for her short stature.

Your inability to be articulate concerns me greatly... But as this is a time of crisis, I will let it pass. I have confirmed the purity of your contract. Now Master, take my hand.

~~

She takes a hold of my hand and helps me to my feet. From the hand she had grabbed comes a sudden warmth...and then a sharp pain, like I've been cut by a knife. On the back of my hand, as though tattooed, is a strange symbol that looks like some kind of crest. Totally confused, I alternate between staring at the mark on my hand and the person standing before me. And then-

A noise behind me brings me back to my senses. Turning around, I see that the effigy from before is still there, now in a fighting stance. I wince uncontrollably, recalling my previous defeat at its hands.

While I am by your side, have no fear that you may lose your way. Remember that victory is all that matters.

Master, strike with my sword. Show me the extent of your abilities in this first battle!

'Umu' is Saber's verbal tic. Tamamo has 'mikon', but that only shows up in Extra as a fairly rare canned voice line.

So how does Saber compare to Tamamo?

Update VI posted:

Much better.

Her normal attacks are also a lot more flashy.

Saber only has a pittance of MP compared to Tamamo, but has more than enough HP to make up for it.

Music: School III

The battered effigy stops moving. There's no way it'll still function after being effectively torn apart.

She continues to talk. ...However, the sound of her voice doesn't quite reach my ears. The heat coming from the mark on my hand grew in intensity during the fight and the resulting pain has become unbearable and burns through my consciousness.

This explanation section is the same.

But what the gently caress was this? Was Twice watching us all this time?

And the hell is this? We now know that there's no way this could have been the original Hakuno, as they wouldn't have remembered it in the first place.

'True memories of childhood' brings to mind Twice's vomited exposition, so is Hakuno somehow plugged into Twice's memories? If yes, why? So much of this stuff is just... never ever elaborated on.

The overwhelming, unforgettable presence of someone suddenly appears beside my bed— What I think to be a valiant young man garbed in crimson is, in fact, a young woman. ...But as this being is not human, any normal conclusion based on gender or looks would be moot.

Incidentally, you are fully aware of what the Holy Grail War entails, correct?

Holy Grail War?

Holy Grail War? I've heard mention of it, but what is it, exactly?

While pitiful, ignorance is hardly a sin. I shall instruct you as I am able. Firstly, the Holy Grail is said to have held the blood of a savior and has the power to grant wishes.

Holy Grail...THAT Holy Grail? It's the basis of an entire body of western religious history. A holy relic said to perform miracles that became well-known through the Arthurian cycle.

But no matter. The Holy Grail for which you are fighting is a different object altogether.

Early on, the Holy Grail War was the name given to the ceremony magi held to gain the Grail. In truth, it was a bloody melee from which the sole survivor would be granted the Holy Grail. In simple terms, the tournament you're now in is an approximation of the original Holy Grail War.

Magi...Wizards... Although I can hardly believe that these words apply to me, it seems that others think of me as one. Whatever the case, it sounds like this Holy Grail War is a merciless fight for survival.

The rules are simple. Two Wizards are assigned to fight each other using their Servants as weapons. The magus who loses to their opponent is stripped of both their Command Seals and their life.

My eyes are drawn to my left hand where I've been marked with three strange symbols.

There are a number of minor rules, but the most important one is: Win. Simple, is it not?

I doubt it's that simple. While I have a million questions, at least I know the basics now. And whether I want to be here or not, I'm now a participant in this Holy Grail War nonsense.

Indeed. As long as you understand the basics, that is enough for now. Now then, do you know what a Servant is?

Sorry, I don't have a clue.

With an irritated expression, the Servant before me continues to lecture me with subtle disdain.

Only those whose deeds are acknowledged long after their deaths become Heroic Spirits.

The Servants recreated here by the Holy Grail are drawn from those whose legends endure. Servants are basically soldiers, there to guide and protect the magus who summoned them. As per the rules of the original Holy Grail War, Servants are divided into seven classes. Originally, the classes of Heroic Spirits were hidden, but things have changed over time. Saber. Lancer. Archer. Rider.

Even with just two scenes, the differences between Saber and Tamamo are like night and day.

Also, these classes identify core skills only. Replicating every single skill would be impossible. A Heroic Spirit's main traits are aligned with a class and then given form. It'd be safe to assume that an enemy Servant's class will give you clues about their powers. Furthermore, it is said that those of the Saber class are far superior to other Servants.

...So then, allow me to test your knowledge. I'm sure you know which class I belong to, yes?

Saber.

Correct. As the Saber class is the best of the Servant classes, it's obvious that I'm a Saber. Yes, you have answered well. I can sense the promise and potential in you.

~

I don't know.

...I can see your mind is often bereft of oxygen. How can you say I'm anything but a Saber?

Choosing Rider also adds in:

And to imply I'm a mere Rider... Though I am a skilled charioteer, I like them not.

~~

Now then, from this time forward, you may refer to me as Saber. No honorifics are necessary. As you are my Master, I will allow you to address me as an equal.

Saber... Her personality is going to be difficult to deal with, but she's definitely a worthy ally. Wait... If all Servants are Heroic Spirits, I wonder who Saber was in real life.

My true name? I have nothing embarrassing to conceal and I'd be happy to tell you... ...Hmph. But it'd be a disaster if an enemy were to learn my true identity from you. But if my name were to be known, it wouldn't affect my resolve or my approach to battle.

While Tamamo hid her name out of fear she would be rejected, Saber has much more practical reasons to hide hers.

...But I understand your unease at knowing nothing at all. Although I can't tell you my name, question not the truth of my words. And as for the Holy Grail— All I know is that it grants wishes and creates Servants using famous figures from history. With you as magus and I as the mightiest of Heroic Spirits by your side, the Holy Grail will be ours!

For now, let that truth put your mind at ease. Allow my sword to clear away all of your doubts—

With that, my Servant disappears into the ether. However, I can feel their presence nearby. They must be staying out of sight when they're not needed so their identity can't be compromised. But how their identity would be guessed just by their appearance is beyond me.

Then Sakura shows up and Hakuno notices his amnesia.

Music: School IV

Now, NG+ comes with three main perks.

The first is that we carry over all unspent money, so we can freely buy whatever items we need.

The second is that we keep our Mystic Codes, letting immediately slap on some MP restoration.

Not all of them, however, as we lose our old Girl's Uniform, (which is instantly replaced by your starting Uniform) the Base Red Mystic Code, and any Mystic Codes given by our Servant.

But... why though? Would giving me early access to restore(); be that broken, when the earlier healing Codes would be a full heal anyways? Would letting me have +200 Master MP be that bad, when I've already beat the game once already?

I'll be going with the Staff of Fortitude, as Master MP efficiency is at a premium when I have no items to refill it and a non-existant base total.

Also, Saber's Matrix.

Aestus Estus: The Embryonic Flame posted:

The hand-crafted crimson sword wielded by Saber when summoned by a Master. The following inscription has been engraved on the blade: regnum cael orum et gehenna.

That last bit is latin for 'Kingdom of Heaven and Hell.'

Anti-Magic (C) posted:

Nullifies minor spells consisting of chants of two verses or less. Ineffective against high-level thaumaturgy and the greater rituals. As Saber herself has a negligible resistance to magic, the effectiveness of this skill is pathetically low, even by the normal standard of the Saber class.

Migraine (B) posted:

A curse that was inherited from her place of birth during her mortal life. As a result of the crushing headaches inflicted by this condition, the effectiveness of mental skills decreases considerably. Another side effect that seems to concern Saber most is the fact that it prevents her from demonstrating what she considers her divine talent for the performing arts.

Aaaaaaaand I have to wait to spend my SP again. Lovely.

Since I keep all the shop Mystic Codes I can save my money, giving me even more to toss around by the time we get to Archer's playthrough.

Saber has a room chat for 30 and 100 items used, so I might as well get a headstart on it now.

And after all that, we can go get reacquainted with Rin.

Next time: Holy poo poo NG+ will be a breeze.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 21, 2023

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

BisbyWorl posted:

Choosing Rider also adds in:

And to imply I'm a mere Rider... Though I am a skilled charioteer, I like them not.

Mmmmhmmmmmm.

Also somehow it never really registered to my mind that Extra Saber's dress was see-through in the front until seeing it in these screenshots. That...sure is a design decision there.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I may not be a fan of Red Saber, but I will always sympathize with her Migraine skill. Having "gets hosed up headaches so bad they make you want to die" so ingrained in your history that not even ascending to the Throne of Heroes can save you from it sounds like a loving nightmare.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Verant posted:

Mmmmhmmmmmm.

Also somehow it never really registered to my mind that Extra Saber's dress was see-through in the front until seeing it in these screenshots. That...sure is a design decision there.

I recall a scene in Carnival Phantasm. She states her legs are not exposed, she's showing them off. Her outfit is basically a leotard with a Dress around the front.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Saber's first appearance in the Last Encore anime is her stripping down and taking a dip in the open bath in front of male Hakuno. One of those 'If you got it, flaunt it' types for sure.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there some kind of magical law about the general design of sabers? :v:

MonsterEnvy posted:

I recall a scene in Carnival Phantasm. She states her legs are not exposed, she's showing them off. Her outfit is basically a leotard with a Dress around the front.
Right. Did they start out with that or did they come up with it afterwards?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's a little hard to see given the lowish resolution but Saber's outfit also leaves the top of her buttcrack exposed

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The deal with Saber isn't that she's shameless, it's that she's a gift to the world, why wouldn't she show everyone her divine beauty? She's doing a public service guys!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

One thing about Extra Saber is that to my knowledge* we never see her at her worst, where her already somewhat shaky judgement is further impaired by the mother of all migraines.
We only get shown the somewhat benevolent tyrant that wants to have fun, enjoy life and conquer poo poo for the glory of her country and herself; if someone resists she'll trample them under her heels because tyrant but she'll hold no hard feelings for resisting, that's everyone's privilege.

*but I have very little information about Grand Order Arcade, where her rider-class self is the final villain of part 1 instead of who we got in Grand Order (smartphones).

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Is Red Saber(Not to be confused with Saber of Red) the first of the Saberfaces?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Pyroi posted:

You would be correct. Even Carnival Phantasm (where Fate/EXTRA was more or less officially announced) made a bit out of confusing her with /stay night Saber.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Pyroi posted:

Technically speaking Jeanne predates her, as the F/Z LN came out in 2006 and her looking like Artoria was a plot point even before it got any form of visual adaptation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Poil posted:

Is there some kind of magical law about the general design of sabers? :v:

Right. Did they start out with that or did they come up with it afterwards?

That was actually her first appearance as it was promotion for the game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The deal with Red Saber's outfit is that her designer/FE's lead artist, Arco Wada, is one of the horniest ladies on earth, a trait she happily carries over to FGO and the other extra games.

In one of the Extra artbooks she complains that she couldn't think of a pose that would show off Saber's boobs and rear end at the same time.

e: this is, to be clear, posted with Big Wada Respect

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Omobono posted:

*but I have very little information about Grand Order Arcade, where her rider-class self is the final villain of part 1 instead of who we got in Grand Order (smartphones).

That character is an alterego. Her rider variant is the closest she comes to it as a human but is still not classified as a beast.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Rody One Half posted:

The deal with Red Saber's outfit is that her designer/FE's lead artist, Arco Wada, is one of the horniest ladies on earth, a trait she happily carries over to FGO and the other extra games.

In one of the Extra artbooks she complains that she couldn't think of a pose that would show off Saber's boobs and rear end at the same time.

e: this is, to be clear, posted with Big Wada Respect

You know, that certainly explains the end of Extella.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Hoo boy, I can already tell red saber's going to be a bit much.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Hoo boy, I can already tell red saber's going to be a bit much.

Yeah, the ego is STRONG with this one, to put it mildly. Though I'm curious whether she does the traditional "has a softer side that comes out" thing most of Fate's more arrogant girl characters have, or if it's purestrain proud bastard the whole way through. I'm kind of hoping for the latter, it would be funnier.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXXIV - Insect from hell

This update covers the events of Updates VII-X.

Music: Duel of Fate

Rin gets touchy.

Then calls us weak.

Those are fighting words, Master. When we meet her in battle, I will give her my answer to them.

Unlike my Servant, I have no witty response to my future rival. I have to win. Now that I know what's at stake, I have to win.

Music: School II

Talk to Kotomine.

Get the room key.

(Assume that I'm always talking to Taiga until I get the week's decor item.)

And go check our room.

Music: Down to Dawn

Compared to Tamamo's room, Saber's is a lot more... ornate.

I shall make it my audience chamber. If you have any grievances, you may address them to me here.

I'm relieved at both Saber's good mood and the fact that my private room was prepared. I should come back here when I want to talk to Saber.

What's wrong? You should be already accustomed to this school. Stop your running about, and relax as I have.

Though— I sympathize with having nerves on one's first campaign. Cherish that fleeting feeling.

Meanwhile the default chat for this week is:

I do not feel like talking. You should focus on preparing for combat.

Heeeeeey, you remember this guy?

You know...

Update VII posted:

This.

Fucker.

See, for whatever reason, the translators changed his lines.

The problem is that said new lines are either a complete non-sequitur without context, or spoils a late game plot point with context.

So I'm not even going to dignify him with a conversation. He can stand here, utterly silent, until he dies.

This guy! Since we've already beat the game, we can finally see what he has to say!

It's more surprising that Tohsaka's participating in this Holy Grail War. It's sobering.

See what I mean?

He'll also be the last generic Master I'll be talking to for the rest of the LP, as no one gets new lines based on your Servant.

Anyways.

I recommend that you complete all your shopping and data gathering before entering the Arena.

Time for dungeons!

It'll probably be less horrible than Tamamo's first outing!

Music: First Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

Enemy programs created by the SE.RA.PH roam the Arena, but fear them not while I am by your side!

I'll be mostly skipping past dungeons too, since we've already seen what they have to offer.

If I am ever injured in battle, please use whatever item is necessary to assuage both our worries.

The third NG+ bonus kicks in here.

Music: Battle - First Chimeric Lunar Sea

In NG+ all enemy data carries over, letting you walk into any enemy with at least three moves revealed.

And since we'll be getting even more info on this run, by the time we reach Archer's playthrough it won't be uncommon to get five or six revealed moves for the entire game.

Bosses are still capped at three moves a turn with a Level E Matrix, however.

Hakuno will also be shoving powder down Saber's throat every single turn.

By the time I burn through that stack of Ether Powder, I'll be set for her room conversations.

God, this is so much nicer than Tamamo!

Sure, it'll even out when late game transitions to All Skills All The Time and Saber lacks any easy MP recovery, but still!

I'm still grabbing all the loot. I need to gain levels anyways, and any excess stuff I have by the end I can sell off for even more money.

Speaking of, I gain a level on the way to the Crix.

And leave.

Because of your deficiencies, I am unable to manifest my full glory. But, do not worry yourself. Having my original abilities available for use is not important.

There is no shame in being a novice; in fact, the possibilities of what you may become are exciting.

Tomorrow we'll make another effort in the Arena, and we'll improve together little by little. It's a trivial matter. As long as you have me, we'll keep going.

I just noticed. There's no timer on the day change today.

Get our opponent.

Learn about Triggers.

Then autopilot myself completely past Shinji. :v:

...her?

I went back and checked with Tamamo, and she randomly mixes up Shinji's gender too. The hell???

His total lack of respect and maturity is truly disgusting! He needs to be thoroughly beaten. Master, let us be on our way. Anything I do must be perfect, down to the smallest detail. I will educate that vermin as to the extent of his sin against us with the blade of my sword.

Music: Fear

But this may be a good chance to obtain information. Why don't we follow them while they're in the Arena? Oh, and be warned that if you miss the chance to learn something, that information may be lost forever. Also, you can only enter the Arena once a day. Make sure you thoroughly explore it before exiting.

Hi Shinji.

You never know what will become of such a meeting, but perhaps we can learn more about their plans.

Saber says nothing for this.

Music: Duel - Unauthorized Battle

This fight is even more of a joke, what with Saber's significantly higher HP.

However, it was foolhardy of him to exhibit the extent of his power merely for sport. If his Servant uses projectile weapons it's possible that her class might be Archer, but I'm not 100% sure.

Are you not glad that you inspected the Arena as I instructed? This is how you succeed in the Holy Grail War.

Indeed! A suitable response, Praetor! But do not feel the need to hold back in your praise of me! Keep in mind that this conflict is also a race against time. We may not see our foes tomorrow, so- Some information may only be available on a specific day. It's imperative you actively explore the Arena often.

I'm not sure if she's used it yet, but 'Praetor' is Saber's alternate term for Master. A Praetor is a term used for high ranking Roman officials. The specific term Saber uses can also be translated as 'Maestro', and there's even an option in the Perfect Patch to do just that!

The Mystic Codes are useless now, but at least I can sell them for cash.

I have no need to buy the shop Mystic Codes now, so the cash is also useless.

I gain a level on the way to the Trigger.

but this place is no different than the aquarium I kept at home.

Saber, thankfully, doesn't get any poorly foreshadowed reveals that will get forgotten about till the end of the game.

We still have to deal with the Crix to get the Trigger.

But dealing with him on Day 2 is so much easier when you get this much info.

So this is a Trigger. Kotomine said that there are two per round, so do not forget to obtain the second one.

If we could get information on them, many plans could be made to get them to taste my blade.

One cannot be a hero without their name being known. That is why I take great pains to hide my identity.

Gaining information on the enemy's identity while veiling my own is a sure road to victory.

For that reason, you must drain the campus of information every single day. When you enter the Arena, you forfeit any further investigation for that day. Humans do not replicate their actions, so what you miss one day is gone forever. So make a habit of investigating campus and listening to others before entering the Arena. Do you understand?

I understand.

Indeed. Then, let us initiate today's investigation.

Shinji fucks up.

Though difficult, it is vital that we scour the Arena and the campus for valuable information. Investigating our foe was the correct course of action, just as I said.

To make sure we don't overlook anything, we should continue our searches of the Arena and campus. More info could come to light with every new day. Do not allow your diligence to flag, ever!

Hop in.

Gain a level.

Hop out.

Next time: Saber becomes a psychic.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 11, 2022

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Ya know, in a better game, I feel like the screwup with Shinji's gender there could have been a hint that Shinji wasn't just obfuscating his age, but his gender as well. But this is Fate/Extra, which had a budget of a shoestring and a pack of gum, so no, it's just a mistake.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Last Encore dub translated Saber's form of address as "Performer" which I like the most personally.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

SoundwaveAU posted:

The Last Encore dub translated Saber's form of address as "Performer" which I like the most personally.

Which is sorta strange, because every other officially translated media featuring Red Saber's used Praetor as her form of address. The more I hear about Last Encore, the weirder it seems.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On the other hand, I've seen a subbed clip of the Praetor/maestro title and it's perfect Umu. From memory, because I'm having problems tracking it down:

Umu: "I'll call you Maestro, for you'll play me like an instrument and make me sing the most wonderful music. And yes, that's an innuendo"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Last Encore is bananas. You get a shot of Servant Neil Armstrong in it and the cowards have refused to put him in the gacha.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

Last Encore is bananas. You get a shot of Servant Neil Armstrong in it and the cowards have refused to put him in the gacha.

That's because he's too powerful. Like literally too powerful, the only reason his master lost was because he fought someone even more OP than he was. Also, his estate would more then likely sue Delight Works, which is why Ryo's Bunny and Babydoll servants aren't playable.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 5, 2022

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Another fun fact about Last Encore is that Red Saber's English VA, Cassandra Lee Morris, is disappointed that the dub script dropped the "Umu" verbal tic, which makes this an odd case of a dub VA preferring an element of the sub~

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If I was umu and didn't get to umu I'd be annoyed too!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

serefin99 posted:

Ya know, in a better game, I feel like the screwup with Shinji's gender there could have been a hint that Shinji wasn't just obfuscating his age, but his gender as well. But this is Fate/Extra, which had a budget of a shoestring and a pack of gum, so no, it's just a mistake.

To be fair, since I'm assuming (given the lack of any famous warrior Roman women that come to mind) this Saber is yet another gender-bent historical figure, she might just be making certain assumptions about Shinji ;).

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

MadDogMike posted:

To be fair, since I'm assuming (given the lack of any famous warrior Roman women that come to mind) this Saber is yet another gender-bent historical figure, she might just be making certain assumptions about Shinji ;).

...Except Bisby went back to check with Tamamo, and she also makes the same mistake.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXXV - Saber's circumstances

This update covers the events of Updates X-XII.

Hi Leo.

Shinji hides the books.

And we have a chat with Saber.

My questions about the Holy Grail War have only increased since that moment I made a contract with Saber. ...And the war aside, I still want to know just who she is.

Speak, if something concerns you. This is a time for rest, so such distraction is permitted.

Now would be a good opportunity to ask— All right-

What's your true name?

I'm surprised. So, it seems not knowing my true name has been troubling you. However... Hmmmmm. What troubles ME is that you do not worry over the battle to come as I do.

...Though she's admonishing me, Saber exudes pleasure. She must be happy that I asked about her name. She continues speaking.

It is the pleasure of those with regal natures to dignify the queries of those around them with answers. Speaking of the past is awkward, but as we have sworn an oath of fidelity, I will tell you.

Bu?

It holds on this for a few seconds.

I told you I would conceal my true name for a time. Falling for such a trick shall not happen! You will learn of my true name once you have become successful as a magus. For now, restrain yourself!

Embarrassed at nearly being had, Saber snubs her nose at me and falls silent. ...Apparently it was too soon to try to learn her real name.

~

Are you a girl, Saber?

Are you inquiring about my physical form? Or my spirit, my soul? My answer varies depending on which.

That was unexpected. I asked because she has a masculine bearing and tone of voice, so I thought perhaps she had been raised a boy.

My physical form is that of a woman. A short woman, but height matters not in determining superiority. I do not mind it, and you should not either. Therefore, refrain from making comments about my height.

All right, I've learned one thing. From now on, I'll be sure not to use "petite" or "short" to describe Saber, since I DO value my life.

Next, my spirit. It is about half and half, I suppose. Although I do not allow gender to sway my preferences, I believe my core is a maiden, as I adore beauty.

...Oh. From her brusque attitude and gallant actions, I figured she would value "valor" above all. "My core is a maiden." That sentiment seems incongruous with her warrior spirit, but... Knowing that gentleness resides somewhere in her form makes me less nervous about the battles to come.

And last is the orientation of my soul, an entity different from the body or spirit. Indeed. I think it admirable that I could go either way, though I am firmly rooted in the middle.

—Wait, what?

And here's why Saber has no gender-locked conversations, unlike Archer or Tamamo: she honestly couldn't give less of a poo poo.

In other words, ”I'm not going to shut up now that I can brag!" That's too rich for my blood, no matter how you figure it. ...It seems it would be better if I were not to inquire any further...

~

Why are you so imperious?

There is no more appropriate way for me to speak than with the air of an emperor. We speak according to our parents' expectations of us in childhood, and how we were raised. I have not been permitted to speak plainly since leaving childhood. And now, were I to revert to that manner of speaking, I would deny what I have become. It would be like throwing away all that I have devoted myself to, even if I would regain my humanity—

The young female knight speaks with certainty that such a day had never —and will never—come. She seems to boast that she devoted her life to something.

All three end the scene.

Hmm? Do you not understand? Your commands allowed me the flawless victory I deserve. I feel on top of the world after that perfection in swordplay! I have underestimated your skills.

We also have a few optional chats. This one is for getting one perfect fight.

Whether with entertainment or food, it is delightful to consume! Perhaps that is why you called me forth?

If so, then I urge you to be more indulgent. Bloat your corpus with excess. You only live once!

And this one is for using 30 items. Despite the fact that we'll hit 100 items fairly soon, that chat holds Saber's Skill upgrade. So naturally it won't unlock until we, you know, have the Skill it upgrades.

Day 4 means the chapel unlocks, bitches!

You loving bet!

Saber's build?

Tamamo got a blend of Strength, Defense, and Magic. With Saber, I'm going for a much simpler build.

All Strength, all the time.

Sure, it means she'll be taking a lot of damage from everyone, but her own natural bulk will let me ignore the hits and kill any enemy before they can wear her down.

Fitting Saber's role as the beginner Servant, her first Skill just damages things. No added bonus effects like with Tamamo.

Shinji is an rear end in a top hat on our way out.

And off we go.

Music: First Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

It'd be a catastrophe if they attack us from behind while we return to campus. We should face head-on now. Master, we should locate the book that lowly extra hid here before they suspect what we're up to.

Oh look, our first victim!

Music: Battle - First Chimeric Lunar Sea

Now, I intended for this to be a demonstration of Saber's shiny new skill...

But this Inspire happened to block one too many times, so consider it an example of her new damage output instead.

There's always next time.

Oh look, next time!

I try out a Veil with and without the Strength buff from the final set of shop gear, just to see how much it gives.

Veil starts off dealing decent damage, and as all Saber's Skills key off of Strength, it'll keep getting stronger alongside my normal attacks.

How much is the buff?

About a 25% increase, not bad!

Back on track.

We gain a level exploring the place.

Find out that a box can phase into Hakuno if you stand in the right spot.

And get the book.

Praetor. I highly recomnend you open that box immediately.

There it is. The book that Shinji was so desperate to keep hidden appears to be some sort of diary written on sheaves of parchment. It is so old that the ink has begun to fade, but I am able to read the name of a ship, the Golden Hind, the names of several islands, and the partial manifests of hijacked ships. This must be the ship's log of a pirate that sailed the high seas. It must've been constructed with a fairly powerful program since Shinji was obviously unable to delete this folder and had to hide it here.

It's a pity her true name isn't legible, but this book should prove a useful clue as to her identity.

And I went through all of the trouble of bringing it down here... Oh well, I'll just have to take it back now.

Remember when I mentioned how you had no way to stun Drake out of Culverin Cannons during this fight?

Time to ruin a scene. :v:

Anyway, too bad for you. You came all this way just for me to take that book away from you.

As to what obtaining information in the Holy Grail War truly means!

Wow, it's like I never left endgame!

And Drake is never able to fire off her Cannon.

You know how these go.

D-Don't start getting cocky now! And anyway, the SE.RA.PH is watching. I'll be victorious in the end!

First of all, that item relating to our enemy's Servant is definitely a ship's log. Secondly, based on the ship's battery she had just revealed— If her prowess with vehicles is so advanced, then it means that without a doubt she is a Rider.

Worth it.

Now that we've obtained the book that frail man-child tried to hide, we can leave this place without any problem. If you wish, we can go on and obtain the Trigger today or return and rest for the day. Do what you think best.

I gain a level on the way to the Trigger.

So this must be the second required cipher key, or Trigger if you insist on using the common vernacular. If we want to find the Triggers, we need to thoroughly explore the Arena. We must make this a priority, Master.

Gain one more level for good measure.

And leave.

However, we can't win against them with information alone. Be diligent in your training.

Hit the barrier.

The moment I tried to enter the Arena, it felt like I ran into a wall and I was flung backwards. It seems someone put up a barrier.

I was bored, so I decided to set up a few little surprises here and there. My bad. I'm actually doing bottom feeding Masters like Hakuno a favor. The Arena is a dangerous place. But if you must enter the Arena, you'll need to track down the two magic sigils I set. However, once you make it into the Arena, I'll crush you like a cockroach. Show up if you dare.

It looks like the door is sealed, but it's actually an anomaly in the area's programming code. The sigils are like tributaries feeding a river. Unless we block the flow, the seal will remain. Praetor, arduous though it may be, we must find the two locations where he placed those sigils.

Hit the nurse's office.

That's one down. We need to find the other magic sigil. Let's check where he's been skulking.

Pressing it will bring up a list of places you can instantly travel to. I'm sure you'll find this information useful. I think you owe me a word of thanks.

Fun fact: fast travel is also locked out until now.

Stop off to spend my SP.

Look at it! Two Ranks in Strength! In the very first week!

Compared to Tamamo, Nero's move buff comes in much earlier.

One of the sigils used to make the barrier has been deleted.

We've found the second one. Enough of these stupid games, let's hurry to the Arena. I will make our foe suffer for the unforgivable sin of annoying me!

And finally hit Shinji's desk.

Next time: We kill Shinji. We kill Shinji again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Saber calling this Shinji a manchild is kind of funny considering he is the opposite if anything, a child pretending to be a teenager.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I can't believe I forgot Saber was a GNC icon... oh right, because they keep pushing her as a waifu on everything else. Man, Type-Moon's relationship with LGTB+ stuff is loving weird.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXXVI - Assault

This update covers the events of Update XII-XIV.

The only major thing on this trip is testing out Saber's new buff.

This Crix will be our test subject.

Now, for comparison, Saber normally deals around 100-110 damage a hit.

There's the buff, and...

Looks like it gives around a 50% buff, which is rather hefty!

Eeeeeexcept this is only for Attack, Break and Guard are unaffected. And since this is still Extra, it'll become useless the moment I have enough MP to freely spam Skills. I'd rather save the MP for an actual offensive Skill.

After that, I just gain a level.

And leave.

Whether you like it or not, only one day of the prep period remains to acquire Triggers and train.

Do your due diligence tomorrow, and you will thank yourself in the Elimination Battle.

The enemy Master is vacuous, but underestimating such a competent Servant would be foolhardy.

Spend my SP.

And get this week's room decor.

Now, Tamamo got some humble paper lanterns.

But Saber?

Gets two full chandeliers.

Then we walk in on Shinji setting up the treasure hunt.

Pure lust is at times a beautiful thing, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see her pursue it. I, myself, admire the trappings of wealth. Shall we adorn said finery as we weaken our enemy?

Hey, remember when the best score we could get last week was 3-2, on account of Shinji's massive lead?

Things have changed since then. :getin:

Pop move_speed(); before we run into Shinji.

Then swap out the Spike for something more useful. The buff will stay on even if you remove the Mystic Code that gave it.

Nyooooooooom.

Shinji still gets his head start.

While I have no interest in money, I cannot allow treasure to go ignored!

Hey Shinji! The Archery Club was a bad choice!

Oh-ho, hello there. Let's have some fun!

You should have taken up Track instead!

Well, I have to give you kudos for keeping up with me. It's impressive, especially for one of the proletariat.

But this is where your pathetic struggle will end. You've bumped into me, after all. Sorry, but it's game over, man! All right, get going El— Rider. You got your treasure, so get to work!

They literally got no treasure from this.

Oh well, as this is my job... No hard feelings little boy!

With my build, I can go for something fun here.

Give Saber the best Strength buff I have.

And have her get to work.

Now, I'm not sure if you're aware.

But 200 x 18...

...is just a touch bigger than 3000.

Here's a fun little thing Saber can do:

Just tank a Skill and counter with another Skill. She has so much HP it barely phases her.

And so, you can actually kill Drake a full day early.

However, you get no loot for doing it.

The game also just treats it as you timing out the fight like normal, nothing fun like letting you skip the Elimination Battle.

Rider! What in the hell were you thinking, losing like this?! You were holding back, weren't you?!

Holding back? Of course I was.

What?!

*Sigh* Even if I were to actually take this seriously, I did the best I could...all things considered... At best, I'm just a hired gun. I can't do much more than what I'm told. And anyway, you haven't paid me yet.

A-Are you saying that it's my fault that you lost?!

Not exactly— But if that's how you see it, then maybe there's some truth in that regards? To be perfectly honest, I'm not really satisfied, but there's no need for you to worry about that, cherry boy! Running out of ammo because of someone's magical deficiency can't be helped, so I kind of expected this!

Sh-Shut your hole, you trigger-happy bitch! We lost solely because of your recklessness! There's no way in hell you're better than me! You know that, right?! RIGHT?!

Um, is it really a good idea to say stuff like that? Even in this form, I'm nothing more than a merchant. I won't mince words when something of value is at stake.

Ugh...I-I'm not listening to you! Stop talking and let's get out of here. You'd better win next time!

Aye aye, roger wilco, and whatnot. Just be drat sure you have enough amnunition on hand, got it? Being in debt goes against everything I stand for.

:byewhore:

Which leaves me free to grab all five bits of Pirate Booty.

Even with the Enhancement Spike, it was still close. A few more seconds and Shinji would have grabbed one.

And that makes five.

Granted, this only nets me an extra 4K over what I got last time, but being able to do it at all is fun.

Before we proceed to the Elimination Battle tomorrow, we should review our information on the enemy here.

We shall scribble across her Jolly Roger which of our dances is better, mine or that pirate's.

Music: None

Kotomine says hi.

Hit Level E.

And head in.

Hi Shinji.

A talking rat! All it mouths is gibberish, but still, a rare and impressive creature! A talking bear would at least be more fetching. This rat revels in slime and filth!

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

Video: Week 1 Elimination Battle (Saber ver.) (I'll still be posting the Elimination Battles, but just the fights themselves from now on.)

Well it's too bad, but I can't just let you guys do what you want.

Ha! We'll be the ones to end this!

I already beat him once.

Take a guess how this goes.

Shinji finally manages to land a stun, at least.

I didn't use the Strength buff this time, so Drake barely survives to turn four.

But she's still so close to death that I completely skipped her NP.

gg ez

I would enjoy a bath. Just looking at this abomination soils my outfit.

...As for the lady pirate, I wanted to hang her, but I pity her now. I shall drop my ill will.

What a wonderful idea, Saber!

The scene plays out as normal, you do not get to skip Shinji's death.

Next time: Poison is even less of a threat.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 26, 2023

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So you don't see Shinji die here because Saber dislikes Shinji so hard she just decides to leave?

That's kind of funny.

I kind of adore this Saber for how pompous she is. She's not really malicious with it, it's just how she is.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Keldulas posted:

So you don't see Shinji die here because Saber dislikes Shinji so hard she just decides to leave?

That's kind of funny.

I kind of adore this Saber for how pompous she is. She's not really malicious with it, it's just how she is.

No, you still see the scene. I'm just heavily abridging bits that are 100% identical to the original run.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Keldulas posted:

That's kind of funny.

If Extra Saber respects an opponent she'll give due honors upon their defeat, and she'll be a reasonably gracious loser upon her own defeat.
So of course she can't stand Shinji, the only fool she has patience for is herself (obviously because she doesn't consider herself one).

With all the enormous differences, she does have some resemblance with Papyrus from Undertale, namely they're both narcissists with an ego the size of the moon but without the malignant toxicity that actual narcissists have. Well, Umu has some of it but it's really understated.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I kind of suspected that was the way it was.

But it's my headcanon now that Saber just leaves before it happens. The fact that the screenshots in order at the end actually make sense? Like Shinji starts his tantrum and Saber just decides that she doesn't need to watch that, and that she pities the lady pirate a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXXVII - Saber-san angry

This update covers events from Update XV to XVII

Unable to let it pass unnoticed, my Servant talks to me.

Rin, was it? That girl seems to have gladly abandoned civility, but I will not.

Honestly, I'm surprised. I didn't think my Servant would have anything comforting to say to me. I abruptly ask why she didn't.

I like those who are kind. There is no beauty in your tears, but they move me nonetheless. ...Yes. I can't quite put it into words, but after this fight I do believe I like you a bit more.

Saber swells with pride. I can't help laughing. I mean, she spoke so confidently even though it's something she herself is unsure of.

It is not the stronger wish, but the wish that is more beautiful that triumphs in the end. Your wish may be a small, frail seed now, but by the end it will have blossomed beautifully. Therefore, all you need to do is keep winning, and resolution will bloom in your mind.

...She says that I'm kind. Then am I shedding tears of empathy? I'm not sure I'm that kind. Still, Saber's words soothe me. But, I can't allow myself to feel too much. I can't advance through the second round on kindness.

Hi Dan.

I missed you.

Fighting this Master will force you to refine your crude fighting skills, willing or not!

She doesn't mention how outclassed I am here. She probably believes she can overcome my weakness. Personally, I'm not so optimistic. In terms of battle prowess, I lack not only strength, but drive. Like Dan said, I'm lost. I don't know what I'm fighting for, and that's an obvious handicap. But, for my reasons to have been so easily cast aside, just how strong could they have been?

Go see Rin.

Spend my SP.

And go talk about why Saber refuses to use her NP.

That's right. This proud woman is a Servant, one just as capable of displaying incredible powers. Now that I'm a Master, of course I can't avoid my curiosity about this Noble Phantasm thing.

A Noble Phantasm is the symbol of a Heroic Spirit. If used, it will disclose my identity.

It will be usable in time, but it should not be exposed on small fry in the first round. Yes, a need to use it will arrive. Anticipation will sweeten the day it is finally revealed.

Second round, Saber. We're already past the first.

I understand how a great warrior's tactics and tools could telegraph their identity to a wise Master. It will be most advantageous if I wait as long as possible to use the Noble Phantasm... The computer beeps, which ends the conversation for now. I'll learn Saber's identity in due time. She says I'll know eventually, so I don't think it's right for me to keep questioning.

: : The primary cipher key has been generated.

A trial, huh...? Right, if I don't acguire both Triggers, I won't be able to enter the battle.

Our task has been laid before us. Completing it is more worthwhile than Noble Phantasm blather.

But, cannot simple luxuries be provided to enliven this dreadfully dreary environment? A garden of roses or a bath with saffron would lend the place a little opulence...

Her generic line for this week is:

The magic in my blade is still weak. You should devote yourself to fixing this with haste, Praetor.

And off we go to the Arena.

Uncouth though he may be, he has emerged victorious from the first round. That being said, he might be more a source of amusement than an actual threat.

We'll probably encounter them once inside, so be sure you've made any necessary preparations. There is no need for haste, so take care of any unfinished business you might have.

I'm good!

That's good to hear, Master. This foe will be different from what we faced before. Stay alert.

Music: Fear

However, I can't bring myself to move. It feels like both of my feet have been nailed to the floor. It's almost as if my body and mind have become disconnected and fear has taken over my basic instincts. I know that I have to get away as quickly as possible. The longer I stay here, the faster that death will come to claim me.

To think he'd try to assault me from the shadows— Such arrogance and an appalling lack of refinement!

The sound of Saber voicing her disgust brings me back to reality and frees up my previously paralyzed thoughts. I'm okay now. —I can move my feet and hands.

This must be an aspect of that Servant's Noble Phantasm. I can feel an aura of death even here.

There is only one course of action to be taken. I will destroy this foul trickery with my blade!

Destroy it and we obliterate the poison. Let us go!

Saber's vastly larger HP pool means Robin's poison is even more of a joke than before.

Anyways, the duo.

Restrain Saber.

It is so nice to be able to just not die at every opportunity.

I restrain the belligerent Saber while trying to quiet my breathing. Attacking now would be a bad idea, since I can learn a lot just by listening.

There is no sense of beauty in his Servant's actions. Also, there are far better poisons he could've used.

And there's the tree.

Magic flows from where the tree towers over the Arena. There is so much of it that those who are unprepared would drown in poison.

Music: Stops

The destroyed tree vanishes, as if nothing had ever been there. The moment the source of the barrier disappears, so does the pressure and pain crushing my body. But, this barrier... We need to watch out for this Servant. I leave the area to focus. First, I need more information.

Get a level clearing the place out.

Excellent, we've obtained the Trigger.

And leave.

Your reliance on willpower instead of ability or philosophy really comes in handy for me! Indeed, I entrust myself to that willpower without question, Praetor. Since those two cannot understand each other soul to soul, they rely on faulty words and emotions. So, let us exacerbate their ill feelings toward each other, and in doing so, grasp victory. Observe those two closely in order to ascertain the differences in their philosophies.

Dan and Leo have a quick chat.

Master, let us head to the Arena and see what we can do to close the gap between you two.

Saber's right. If I don't get my abilities up to par, I won't have a chance at winning.

And Saber gets her passive skill.

Emperor's Perogative is... fine. It helps out more on NG as you can use the increased item drops to hit 100 items faster, but on NG+ I have so much money I can just load up on healing items whenever I want.

Saber has her yellow chat fairly early this week. Tamamo's was on Day 6, for comparison.

The Servant of a magus I just passed by was the beautiful Atalante. Greek Heroic Spirits are lovely, as was that Atalante! That thief in green robes cannot compare!

Well someone hosed up if a passive Servant could figure out their own Servant's identity.

Atalante herself would debut in the Fate/Apocrypha light novel two years later in 2012. Considering the timing, this might have been originally intended as a call forward for the eventually canceled Apocrypha MMO.

Saber pouts, settling back into her makeshift throne. Gosh, you'd think our opponent in the second round offended her sensibilities or something.

That man has a treacherous nature. And as a king, I deplore him for bearing fangs against a nobleman. Remember this well! I dislike frugality, destitution, and treason! He is all of those in one! It is enough to make my hair curl— Are you even listening, Praetor?!

A king, huh? That's like Leo said. How strange to speak of kings... Well, actually, in this virtual world, kings aren't that odd. ...Now I'm curious. If Leo is a modern-day king, then what did Saber preside over?

Hmn? What sort of ruler was I? That is not easily stated...

For my entertainment, I will have you guess. How am I reflected in your eyes?

Servants are reproductions of historical legends. Then, she was-

A bold emperor?

Perhaps she was an esteemed emperor. This woman may be vain, but it's not born of unfounded arrogance. There is something noble within her that leads her to behave as if she is no mere mortal.

...I see. I would accept such a classification—

Er, no, I guided my people grandly! It was like paradise! My citizens boasted of enjoying three lifetimes in their one! I was immensely popular!

Saber swells with triumph. She really is self-centered. But I get the sense that while she took her position for granted, she was nevertheless an excellent ruler.

Looks like Hakuno was a bit off the mark there.

...She remains silent, as if a memory had asserted itself. Her bright smile fades.

...Hmph. Well, I suppose this isn't something I should be proud of. I was no leader. The people are to be commended for bringing my whims to fruition while I did nothing but wallow in luxury. I seem to have asked you an insipid question, Praetor. Let us warriors forget this conversation.

Saber clams up. Was our discussion really that irrelevant? We're talking about the woman who fights and bleeds in my place. I should get to know her true nature more deeply-

~

A feared tyrant?

Perhaps she was a feared tyrant who tormented her people. I mean, she really looks down on others. She's fast to swing a blade and rash to the point of negligence. It couldn't be easy living under this woman's reign.

Are you insinuating you would like to squirm under my thumb just as my people did?

There seems to be a trend of Hakuno accidentally pissing off their Servant on Week 2.

Would you like to feel the terrible infamy of my name visited upon your body?

I shake my head wildly. Scary! Even though she's half-joking, shivers are going down my spine. Her smile is more threatening than the blade of an enemy Servant.

Just as long as you understand. Even I will sulk if accused of being a tyrant by my charge. Instead, call me fool-no, an earnest emperor incapable of separating business and pleasure.

At any rate, I have no need to be irate. Your answer is, yes, mostly correct.

Saber crosses her arms and nods in satisfaction. ...All right. I'll just pretend I didn't say that. For my own safety.

~

A beloved idol?

Perhaps she was an idol. She's a shorty. She's in a dress. I can picture her singing.

You mean a celebrated artist? Yes, you are exactly right, Praetor! I am an artist before an emperor! I sang songs, and enjoyed writing as well! I also immersed myself in sculpting once, and metalwork!

As Saber bubbles away, for the first time I can see an artist inside that resplendent figure. ...But, could an artist with such an eclectic repertoire become popular?

Hmph, how popular was I? I-I was very much in demand! Upon a triumphant return from battle a small girl laid a crown of flowers upon my head. I was quite popular!

...Isn't that your popularity as a king, not your popularity as an artist?

Wh-What's with that look?! I would not lie! ...W-Well, not every one of my works was a masterpiece, but most of them were quite fine. Perhaps my literary works were... too advanced for their time. They were eschewed by my friends.

Saber might not have noticed, but she just gave us a smoking gun.

See, Tactitus could only refer to Publius Cornelius Tactitus, a Roman historian who lived from 56 AD to 120 AD. He was alive during the reign of one Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, who was born with the name Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus.

Congratulations, Saber! You just gave away your own true name!

Hakuno, for his part, won't figure it out until she reveals it herself in Week 5, naturally.

—Well, in the end I stopped myself. I had grown accustomed to the public lacking an understanding of my art. No one understands genius. My own faith in myself is sufficient. As well as the faith of my Praetor, who places their life in my hands—

She nods expectantly. I have no idea if Saber was a great artist or not, but if I want her to fight willingly by my side, I better approve of her hobbies.

A good response. Some day I will show you I am right. Until then, trust my words.

Saber smiles, encouraging me to agree with her. All I needed to convince me was that smile. It was tasteless of her to command me. ...Anyway, there is some truth in what she says. Only an artist can truly assess the quality of their work. Those who desire others' assessments are not artists but merchant craftsmen.

All three end the scene.

Go meet Rani.

You must understand that we are not the only ones striving to obtain information.

And off to go get those bits for her.

There is benefit in searching for items an enemy Servant has dropped. We should go look for it.

The first place I should search is where that troublesome tree was.

The source of the barrier, the remains of the arrow. The arrowhead in my hands looks antique.

There may be something more. I should keep searching.

Get a level on the way.

And leave.

Next time: Gee, Nero, how come the Moon Cell lets you have two buff skills?