Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

going from a 2013 MBP to the m1 14” MBP is nice

Obviously editing monstrous photos is much nicer,

But I’m especially shocked by how fast webpages render??? I was beginning to think spectrum was getting lovely, but no, webpages are just so bloated now that my old laptop was taking 3-5 seconds to render strava.com or amex’s website

Wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I could have sworn there was an Apple TV thread, but the search says no.

Is anyone else unable to issue commands to an Apple TV (4k) via Siri? We used to be able to tell our HomePods to play/pause, fast forward, skip, etc, and they would work as expected. But about 2-3 weeks ago it just replies that it's unable to complete the request at this time after trying for a few seconds. We can't do it either from Siri from our phones, but we can use the remote app to control it.

The Apple TV did a software update in that time, I've restarted it, the HomePods, and the network without any change. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

IUG posted:

Is anyone else unable to issue commands to an Apple TV (4k) via Siri? We used to be able to tell our HomePods to play/pause, fast forward, skip, etc, and they would work as expected. But about 2-3 weeks ago it just replies that it's unable to complete the request at this time after trying for a few seconds. We can't do it either from Siri from our phones, but we can use the remote app to control it.

The Apple TV did a software update in that time, I've restarted it, the HomePods, and the network without any change. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Did you update the HomePods too?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208714

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, they're up to date. Plus the problem happens on our iPhones too, so that would suggest the problem was the network or Apple TV. But the Apple TV updated a few days ago too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anton Chigurh posted:

Probably not. Don't some Kickstarters just deliver the proceeds to the to the creator(s), never to be heard from again?

At least Doobie tried to do the right thing....didn't he? Lol.

Thunderbolt just plum gave out.

IUG posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748522&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Guessing the lack of space between Apple and TV stopped it coming up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anton Chigurh posted:

Probably not. Don't some Kickstarters just deliver the proceeds to the to the creator(s), never to be heard from again?

At least Doobie tried to do the right thing....didn't he? Lol.

I can attest to participating in at least three Kickstarters and one IndieGoGo where the organizers vanished into thin air, so yeah.

There is one IndieGoGo I paid into, the one for the GigaDrive, supposedly 'the fastest TB4 SSD in the world' who at this point in time are $400,000 past their goal in pledges, but were supposed to ship product in August 2021.

However, to their credit, they've apologized constantly, have been keeping up with semi-regular updates, and now claim they're juuuuust about to start shipping product.

They blamed the current conditions in chip making and say they've had to switch components and go to alternate NAND suppliers when their original lined up ones refused to deliver stock.

I paid $400 for two 2 TB drives with cables, so let's see what happens..

Doobie promised combos but then reneged on this when he felt the Internet and Rich Kyanka betrayed him despite getting $14K from Kickstarter from goons and swore that he'd eject the same 'bad froggers' responsible for paying for his business and vent hood, so gently caress him.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Dunno what this guy's record is like, buuuuutttt...

https://twitter.com/LukeMiani/status/1532107675026194436

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hey binary badger thanks for the heads up on the bleach scrub for mbp screens delaminating

Worked like a charm. Just gonna hold on to this computer until I hear about someone needing a new one and I can give it away

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

my money is on a preview of Mac Pro, with an on-sale date of Fall/Winter 2022 or in the first half of 2023, and probably a preview of the AR/VR glasses

no MacBook Air or Mac Mini until November or October

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ok Comboomer posted:

my money is on a preview of Mac Pro, with an on-sale date of Fall/Winter 2022 or in the first half of 2023, and probably a preview of the AR/VR glasses

no MacBook Air or Mac Mini until November or October

I’ll agree with all of that except about the Air - the WWDC announcement image with rainbow colored Memojis and the closest one literally looking into a MacBook suggests those will be unveiled Monday. Beyond that… yeah, that sounds accurate. I’d love to hear about a mini to replace the malingering Intel model with more Thunderbolt ports, but that’ll probably wait.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

I’ll agree with all of that except about the Air - the WWDC announcement image with rainbow colored Memojis and the closest one literally looking into a MacBook suggests those will be unveiled Monday. Beyond that… yeah, that sounds accurate. I’d love to hear about a mini to replace the malingering Intel model with more Thunderbolt ports, but that’ll probably wait.

June is Pride month. I agree that an Air/Mini reveal is possible, but it wouldn’t be the first time Apple dropped a Pride reference into WWDC materials and people assumed it meant the imminent launch of colorful devices

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Hey binary badger thanks for the heads up on the bleach scrub for mbp screens delaminating

Worked like a charm. Just gonna hold on to this computer until I hear about someone needing a new one and I can give it away

No problem, hope it didn't take too much elbow grease

The screen will seem a tiny bit brighter due to the removal of the laminate coating though of course the counter is the loss of the extra protection.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

The $120 option is the 0TB storage config with a free M.2 socket.

$120 is still a ridiculously low price for a TB dock with that many features from a tiny operation (no economies of scale). You can easily pay $120 just for a Thunderbolt M.2 enclosure.

There's a bunch of other red flags. A notable one: the campaign goal was only $6373???? If you believe the timeline they posted, they've got all the engineering done already and now need to invest in tooling, run some pilot production, and ramp to mass production. If you need money to start tooling and production, $6K is a drop in the bucket. Even the $72K they've gotten from the campaign isn't much. If it's a real project that's going to deliver product, it's mostly been funded outside of KS.

So... what's the KS campaign for? Hmmmmmmmmmmm
$120 is the early bird price with retail being $210, so not ridiculously far off of this mostly identical looking layout (minus the wireless charging):

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Thunderbolt-2800Mbps-DisplayPort-Ethernet/dp/B09G145KBK/

Or this one for $165 (...off this site I've never heard of):

https://iswedes.com/product/jeyi-2-...-aluminum-body/

So I'd guess there's some existing reference design they're using. Decent chance it's probably already done. So yeah $6k to lure people in and whatever (if any) losses of early bird pricing is basically just advertising expenses.

Binary Badger posted:

He's the guy that more or less nailed the Mac Studio design, albeit somewhat questionable what looking at his previous stuff. "Some hardware" is incredibly vague in comparison.

Mac Pro and/or MBA are the obvious candidates, particularly with the former specifically being teased at the end of the last event. Then there's the billion other non Mac/iOS accessory things.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
give us an iPad OS that isn’t another deliberately-hobbled insult, Apple, I dare you

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

reality os dev kit, probably

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

japtor posted:

$120 is the early bird price with retail being $210, so not ridiculously far off of this mostly identical looking layout (minus the wireless charging):

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Thunderbolt-2800Mbps-DisplayPort-Ethernet/dp/B09G145KBK/

Or this one for $165 (...off this site I've never heard of):

https://iswedes.com/product/jeyi-2-...-aluminum-body/

So I'd guess there's some existing reference design they're using. Decent chance it's probably already done. So yeah $6k to lure people in and whatever (if any) losses of early bird pricing is basically just advertising expenses.

He's the guy that more or less nailed the Mac Studio design, albeit somewhat questionable what looking at his previous stuff. "Some hardware" is incredibly vague in comparison.

Mac Pro and/or MBA are the obvious candidates, particularly with the former specifically being teased at the end of the last event. Then there's the billion other non Mac/iOS accessory things.

I signed up for two of those kickstarter docs. I just couldn’t do two docks at $240+ each but two for $240 was an easy buy.

And I will absolutely replace at least one of my spinning platter drives with an M2 in that dock, what a great idea.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

when he releases this type of stuff he's been right on the money so far. (He got the last event or the one before 100% right two days prior I think.)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s gonna be a VR/AR prototype I’m predicting

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
VR, huh.

Lord help me but I just don't understand it. Mostly I know VR from gaming, where it is an extremely impressive but niche technology which characteristically struggles to establish itself given its expense, lack of killer apps, and relatively graceless practical operation (ie, it makes you look and feel like fifty times more of a tit than just playing an ordinary video game does). Still, I know I'm resistant to seeing the mass-market potential of new technologies so I'm making more of a concerted effort than usual to keep an open mind and imagine that there are people at Apple who earnestly believe there's a good application for this stuff and who aren't idiots. I'm trying to imagine this, and I just... can't.

Like, okay. Say Apple makes a passable VR headset. They can do that. Less capable companies have done it. Say they manage to market it and drive some nice adoption. They could do that; they're Apple, they can sell expensive nonsense with a little wave of the reality distortion field. Suppose this thing has its own hardware and OS for... some reason? I don't understand this part of the rumour at all, honestly, nobody else does this, but gently caress it, it's Apple, suppose they just do all of this crap and expend this astronomical software effort and create whatever magic rendering nonsense and sell a bunch of them at whatever stupid price is necessary. Say they do that. What would this thing even do? The number one market for VR right now is gaming and we all know Apple is not going to make a gaming device. So are they going to make, like, a general computer... thing that you strap into while sat at a desk and use to send emails and have FaceTimes? Is it going to be a wearable you take out and about that does magical navigation interfaces and fitness tracking and stuff? What even plausibly could the plan be? What could they make that's in any way compelling and competitive with the Macs, iPhones and Watches that people already own?

What is even being rumoured, that anyone plausibly thinks could be revealed this week? My imagination is failing me here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I mean Apple themselves said the Mac Pro was being updated in 2 years … 2 years ago. We’re gonna see it at WWDC for sure.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

VR/AR is catnip for older execs searching for a new revenue stream

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Alyssa still trucking along

https://twitter.com/AsahiLinux/status/1532035506539995136

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
VR lets me play ping pong even though I don't have room for a ping pong table. What else could you want from a technology?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

shrike82 posted:

VR/AR is catnip for older execs searching for a new revenue stream

DeFi Blockchain headsets when?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

prom candy posted:

VR lets me play ping pong even though I don't have room for a ping pong table. What else could you want from a technology?

One friend

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fedule posted:

What would this thing even do? The number one market for VR right now is gaming and we all know Apple is not going to make a gaming device. So are they going to make, like, a general computer... thing that you strap into while sat at a desk and use to send emails and have FaceTimes? Is it going to be a wearable you take out and about that does magical navigation interfaces and fitness tracking and stuff? What even plausibly could the plan be? What could they make that's in any way compelling and competitive with the Macs, iPhones and Watches that people already own?
There was some article recently about the development of the thing that IIRC revealed they landed on making it a standalone device you could use out and about (but with internal cameras to render accurate Memoji eyes on the front 👀) – but yea I can’t imagine what it could do that would persuade me to walk around town wearing one. Rendering navigation directions or floating restaurant ratings are obvious but unappealing options; integration with Pokémon Go–type games seems plausible but even less appealing; rendering your distant friends as Memoji avatars virtually hanging out with you reeks of Metaverse desperation. I really don’t know.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't even like to wear my normal glasses. A headset would just be sweaty and gross.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Some kind of virtual telepresence thing, it's for meetings and relaying and interpreting body language better.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

zachol posted:

Some kind of virtual telepresence thing, it's for meetings and relaying and interpreting body language better.

They would serve that segment better by a kinect like camera for AppleTVs to enable video calls directly to televisions

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

TACD posted:

There was some article recently about the development of the thing that IIRC revealed they landed on making it a standalone device you could use out and about (but with internal cameras to render accurate Memoji eyes on the front 👀)

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

BnH listed M2 Mac mini and Mac mini tower....

Edit: i guess I don't know how reliable things like that are, but i didn't expect those two products.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 5, 2022

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Fedule posted:

VR, huh.
VR for content creation is a growing market in all sorts of industries, and content creation is a really important market for Apple. They might not have wanted to be ahead of the trend, but they definitely don't want to be stuck behind it, so it would be smart for Apple to have a ton of R&D devoted to to VR for a while now.

As for why they're doing it now, perhaps it's a bit like the iPod or iPhone, where the idea is *just* mainstream enough for people to understand, but no-one's quite done it well enough for it to really take off, and now feels like the right time to swoop.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So who's gonna make the thread?

https://twitter.com/thecomputerclan/status/1532830429442715651

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

There’s already a cursed images thread, what do you mean?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

WWDC thread!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Binary Badger posted:

Edit: also suspicious: no shots of what is doubtless a Brobdingnagian power brick.

LOL!! Well played. :golfclap:

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
So, if I'm looking at a base model Mac Studio Max, is it worth spending the $AU300 to go from 24 GPU cores -> 32?

The most intense thing I do with my system is light Python/Xcode dev and ffmpeg video conversions. Also, light gaming (CRPGS like PathFinder KingMaker et al).

I'm hoping an ffmpeg AS build will utilise the SoC encoders and decoders as well as the GPU, and the upgrade of the cores will let me continue light gaming at 1440p.

For reference, I currently have a Late 2012 27" iMac with a 2GB GTX 680MX so... 😳

Thoughts appreciated.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

binarysmurf posted:

So, if I'm looking at a base model Mac Studio Max, is it worth spending the $AU300 to go from 24 GPU cores -> 32?

The most intense thing I do with my system is light Python/Xcode dev and ffmpeg video conversions. Also, light gaming (CRPGS like PathFinder KingMaker et al).

I'm hoping an ffmpeg AS build will utilise the SoC encoders and decoders as well as the GPU, and the upgrade of the cores will let me continue light gaming at 1440p.

For reference, I currently have a Late 2012 27" iMac with a 2GB GTX 680MX so... 😳

Thoughts appreciated.

I got the 32 core GPU. Most YouTube personalities poo poo all over it. But I also fantasize about a little gaming here and there. Baldur’s Gate 3. Kerbal. Maybe try psychonauts 2. Etc. so yeah I got the cores.

Coming from a 2017 iMac it’s definitely faster. Coming from yours it will feel magical.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

binarysmurf posted:

Thoughts appreciated.

It’s one of those things where, like, it’s probably not worth it to spend the extra money over the base configuration at all, but also if your plan is to hold onto it for another ~10 years is $300 amortized over that time really a dealbreaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

binarysmurf posted:

Thoughts appreciated.

For light gaming you’d be hard-pressed to notice a difference. General consensus seems to be that the 32 core GPU is somewhat bandwidth-limited - average speed-up for non-compute workloads is between 10-15% over the 24 core version, but I’d be tempted to spend a little extra for it myself. From everything I’ve heard you’ll absolutely crap your pants seeing the difference over a 2012 iMac, so enjoy yourself!