Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Thaddius the Large posted:

Kind of fascinating to see them realize/decide in real time that their only way out is through and to just start doubling down

When they realized that the people storming the capitol was the people they needed to cater to, they changed their minds. Once the initial fear of repercussions was gone, due to a lackluster DOJ, they can freely go around shouting about the same poo poo Trump did to get people to vote for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

HonorableTB posted:

Fetterman's cardiologist was talking about the stroke he had a while back and casually dropped that fetterman also has cardiomyopathy

Oz likely has some recommendations for that.

edit: ironically, probably because it's one of the few areas where he's actually nominally qualified, the supplements and diets oz has promoted regarding heart health seem at least plausible on a quick googling.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 4, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HonorableTB posted:

Fetterman's cardiologist was talking about the stroke he had a while back and casually dropped that fetterman also has cardiomyopathy

Someone buy him the same unstoppable pacemaker Cheney has

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

what's the advantage over invoking one's right to silence?

First off, many people are not familiar with their rights nor what law enforcement are allowed to do. This also assumes law enforcement aren't going to ignore those rights in favor of a quick resolution or to confirm their preconceived theories or notions.

Another part of the issue is that law enforcement has been trained in a method interrogation that automatically assumes guilt and are merely looking for the answers to fill in the blanks. Feds do still use this interrogation technique but usually not on politicians or powerful people.

It's a poor technique but it also causes people to think advocating for themselves will work to convince the people accusing them, when in reality they are giving information that will be used against them, both in the context of the original crime and any others they may have committed (almost everyone commits crimes, including federal, including felonies, sometimes routinely). The next part of the issue is that if the goal is to get someone on anything at all, then lying to the FBI or law enforcement in general or congress is it.

That means that guilt is presumed and even if they're not guilty they still they still might gotten on something, which is a ridiculous idea on it's face but is used to hurt people and ruin lives absent any real reason in the context of the crime that law enforcement want to help prosecute.

In the case of congress, they can still hold you in contempt even if you choose that option.

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone buy him the same unstoppable pacemaker Cheney has

organs that should go to more deserving people

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 4, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
even if something is going to be tossed on appeal or a process thing, that still means potentially being accused of something and arrested. If the information becomes public, that can be ruinous.

Also, in the mean time, if someone is arrested for a crime and they cannot afford bail they go to jail. If they cannot afford a decent lawyer and a public defender tells them to plead down, even if they didn't actually commit the crime in question but are told they are likely to be convicted anyway or else that they are going to be in jail a long time waiting for their day in court, taking a plea is often their best bet.

Add on top of that they get charged high and with everything possible... it's bad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

This was not a new revelation based on what we knew in the early days, basically that he had an ICD implanted and he had afib.

It’s almost certainly stress cardiomyopathy on top of a whole host of other untreated risk factors.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I bought one of his paintings, he’s really doing great since he got out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

If someone with any amount of credibility, and I know it's hard to think of one these days so let's just say Dwayne Johnson, if Dwayne Johnson ran for election in 2024 as an independent with the platform of "If elected I will immediately declare a state of emergency, dissolve Congress, and rule by executive order until this country is set right and people can live without fear and with faith in the future?" what counterarguments would the Republicans and Democrats be able to mount against that?

Remember, things are only going to get worse. After two more years of school shootings, two more years of rising house prices, two more years of rising food prices. If that's not enough, what about in 6 years? How much longer can things keep getting worse before people will be willing to take a chance at a different political system?

This is why I'm beginning to feel like a slide into fascism, or something like it, is virtually inevitable at this point. Trump was the test run for this very thing and was only barely checked by a combination of being too much of a moron to let petty grievances temporarily slide and a catastrophic global pandemic leaving half a million Americans dead on his watch. If covid had never happened there's a fairly solid chance we'd be on Trump's second term.

You cannot constantly tell people that better things just aren't possible under the current system while everything continues to get worse and worse and expect people to continue to feel any loyalty or affection for that system.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 4, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cat botherer posted:

And they will all will continue to experience no real consequences for their hypocrisy on this and many other issues. The Jan. 6 commission is really a joke, as the celebration of the indictment of this comparative nobody shows.

Yeah, its a loving shame too.

I can't help but keep thinking about how things might look different had it been a BLM or LGBT protest and wonder if the response might have taken on a different form or a higher level of seriousness once they'd finally finished scrubbing all the blood off the Capitol steps and handing out medals to all the cops that murdered people.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

selec posted:

I bought one of his paintings, he’s really doing great since he got out.

Where did you get it an can you post it, please?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Beastie posted:

He puts them up on eBay.

The one I bought is in a now-deleted tweet it looks like

https://twitter.com/johnhinckley20/status/1517249871702548480?s=21&t=1qGnBO45yRkEHutww2cEaw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Beastie posted:

For those interested I believe you can obtain at least a print from this website that appears on his Twitter:

e: fb, same tweet as above

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

selec posted:

He puts them up on eBay.

The one I bought is in a now-deleted tweet it looks like

https://twitter.com/johnhinckley20/status/1517249871702548480?s=21&t=1qGnBO45yRkEHutww2cEaw

That's god awful.

I suppose it beats shooting presidents though so I hope he keeps at it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's kinda bullshit that contempt of Congress doesn't carry a penalty of "you stay in jail until you comply with what we want."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

cr0y posted:

It's kinda bullshit that contempt of Congress doesn't carry a penalty of "you stay in jail until you comply with what we want."

That seems like something that could be horrifically abused.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Gripweed posted:

Alex Pareene has a good, short article pointing out that the government's complete inability and unwillingness to solve problems could lead to the general public deciding that democracy is not a good or desirable form of government. We talk about people not voting because they think it doesn't matter, but if people really think that democracy is incapable of improving their lives, something like a "one man, one vote, one time" pitch gets a lot more attractive.

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1529456969643446273?s=20&t=fNSpoT6e8Y1LsUHaODfHlQ

idk you kind of need something that seems more appealing and also seems more likely to solve problems and good luck finding literally anything that americans can agree on is both appealing and likely to solve america's problems. Or even is perceived to be likely to solve america's problems.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Gripweed posted:

Alex Pareene has a good, short article pointing out that the government's complete inability and unwillingness to solve problems could lead to the general public deciding that democracy is not a good or desirable form of government. We talk about people not voting because they think it doesn't matter, but if people really think that democracy is incapable of improving their lives, something like a "one man, one vote, one time" pitch gets a lot more attractive.

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1529456969643446273?s=20&t=fNSpoT6e8Y1LsUHaODfHlQ

A good read. This bit here:

quote:

It is a bit striking how rarely you see a comfortable member of the establishment explain how they might change a young malcontent’s mind about whether the system is capable of working. One strategy, popular in the center, is to glibly assert that things are fine, and will be fine, indefinitely, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a hysteric. Even if that is the case, it still seems a bit of a problem to create a generation of hysterics, unless you assume they will simply grow out of it.

The "everything is fine" tactic was demonstrated with Biden recently saying that the economy is fine and getting better, but we just don't notice it in our day to day. This denial of reality shows that the leaders of the democratic party are largely disconnected from their voters and the general public. Things are horrible out here. People aren't going to care about the Democrats boasting about the jobs report or paying down the deficit when they have to deal with the stress of rising rent, groceries, and healthcare and everything else.

Meanwhile, Congress is pretty much completely MIA on anything major. The Democrats are a party of paralysis. They can't/won't do anything. Can't pass voting rights, queer rights, abortion rights, etcetera. We're largely left to defend for ourselves and can't rely on Democrats on the federal level. And depending on the state and city, the state and local level as well. The system is broken and has been broken for a long time for certain groups. There is a lot of apathy among the younger generations about their future in this world and it's loving bleak.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theCalamity posted:

The "everything is fine" tactic was demonstrated with Biden recently saying that the economy is fine and getting better, but we just don't notice it in our day to day. This denial of reality shows that the leaders of the democratic party are largely disconnected from their voters and the general public. Things are horrible out here. People aren't going to care about the Democrats boasting about the jobs report or paying down the deficit when they have to deal with the stress of rising rent, groceries, and healthcare and everything else.
A good example of this was in 2016 when the Hillary campaign attempted to counter the Trump MAGA slogan by selling hats that said 'America Is Already Great'. You can imagine how well that went over.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cr0y posted:

I believe inherent contempt can last through the end of the session.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Oh boy.

Fetterman discloses that he has had several other serious heart issues that have been going untreated for years because he hates going to the doctor.

Fetterman was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and a decreased heart pump in 2017, he was prescribed medicine, lifestyle changes and follow-up appointments, but he “did not go to any doctor for 5 years and did not continue taking his medications.”

He also confirmed his cardiologist's slip up of revealing that he has cardiomyopathy. He had a defibrillator and pacemaker implanted.

He's going to be staying off of the campaign trail for longer than initially expected.

His doctor says he could die if he continues to live like he was, but if he starts taking medication, exercising, and eating healthy permanently, then he should be fine for the foreseeable future.

quote:

Fetterman discloses extent of heart issues: ‘I avoided going to the doctor.’

The Democratic candidate for Senate in Pennsylvania did not give a timeline for when he would return to the campaign trail.

Lt. Gov. John Fetterman of Pennsylvania, the Democratic nominee in what will be one of the hardest-fought Senate contests in the nation, has a heart condition called cardiomyopathy and appeared to have left other heart issues untreated for years, his doctor disclosed in a statement on Friday.

Mr. Fetterman, who suffered a stroke days before the Democratic primary last month, had a pacemaker and defibrillator implanted on the day of the primary, which his campaign at the time described as a standard procedure that would address “the underlying cause of his stroke, atrial fibrillation.”

His campaign offered few other details about his condition in the days that followed, but doctors questioned the campaign’s characterization of the use of a defibrillator, noting that they are not typically used for atrial fibrillation, and are more often used for conditions like cardiomyopathy — a weakened heart muscle.

“Yesterday I talked to John about how, while afib was the cause of his stroke, he also has a condition called cardiomyopathy,” Ramesh R. Chandra, his doctor, wrote in a note. “The prognosis I can give for John’s heart is this: If he takes his medications, eats healthy, and exercises, he’ll be fine. If he does what I’ve told him, and I do believe that he is taking his recovery and his health very seriously this time, he should be able to campaign and serve in the U.S. Senate without a problem.”

Cardiomyopathy “is a disease of the heart muscle that makes it harder for the heart to pump blood to the rest of the body,” according to the Mayo Clinic. “Cardiomyopathy can lead to heart failure.”

Dr. Chandra said the defibrillator and pacemaker appeared to be “working perfectly and he is doing well.”

Dr. Chandra also wrote that when Mr. Fetterman was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and a decreased heart pump in 2017, he was prescribed medicine, lifestyle changes and follow-up appointments, but he “did not go to any doctor for 5 years and did not continue taking his medications.”

“Like so many others, and so many men in particular, I avoided going to the doctor, even though I knew I didn’t feel well,” Mr. Fetterman said in a statement. “As a result, I almost died. I want to encourage others to not make the same mistake.”

Dr. Chandra is Mr. Fetterman’s cardiologist, but after the stroke he was initially treated by other doctors at Lancaster General Hospital. They have not been made available for questions.

Former Vice President Dick Cheney had a defibrillator implanted in 2001. He finished two terms in the White House, including a hard-fought re-election campaign in 2004.

“Doctors have told me I need to continue to rest, eat healthy, exercise, and focus on my recovery, and that’s exactly what I’m doing,” Mr. Fetterman said. “It will take some more time to get back on the campaign trail like I was in the lead-up to the primary. It’s frustrating — all the more so because this is my own fault — but bear with me, I need a little more time. I’m not quite back to 100 percent yet, but I’m getting closer every day.”

When he does return to the campaign trail, it appears his Republican opponent will be Dr. Mehmet Oz, the celebrity television physician. With a statewide recount still underway on Friday in the Republican Senate primary and no official race call, David McCormick conceded the race to Dr. Oz.

Ed Rendell, a Democratic former governor of the state and a former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said in an interview on Friday that he had no qualms about Mr. Fetterman’s fitness to serve. He downplayed how much Mr. Fetterman’s health would weigh on the minds of voters, saying that he did not think it would be an issue.

“When I was governor, the Republicans used to say I was one cheese steak away from having a heart attack, and I never did,” said Mr. Rendell.

Nancy Patton Mills, the chairwoman of the Pennsylvania Democrats, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday. The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee did not immediately comment on Friday.

Mr. Fetterman has been off the campaign trail since his stroke and has occasionally released brief videos since then. In a sign that Mr. Fetterman was moving back toward some political engagement, Senator Bob Casey, Democrat of Pennsylvania, wrote on Twitter that he’d had a “virtual double date” with Mr. Fetterman and his wife, Gisele Barreto Fetterman, earlier Friday afternoon.

“Looking forward to many more on the campaign trail this summer!” Mr. Casey wrote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/03/us/politics/john-fetterman-heart-condition.html

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the man truly is the physical embodiment of pennsylvania man

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the man truly is the physical embodiment of pennsylvania man

Yeah it's like Chris Christie but from a different state

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
To be fair, I don't think Fetterman has ever hurled D batteries at Santa Claus.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, I don't think Fetterman has ever hurled D batteries at Santa Claus.

way to just leak the october surprise

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If Fetterman passes during the general, what's the procedural outcome?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FlamingLiberal posted:

A good example of this was in 2016 when the Hillary campaign attempted to counter the Trump MAGA slogan by selling hats that said 'America Is Already Great'. You can imagine how well that went over.

The Democrats are absolutely hard-locked into the End of History narrative. All the problems are solved, all the enemies are defeated, America reigns eternally in the age of liberal democracy as all problems slowly fade away under the Process, Kingdom of Conscience.txt.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

selec posted:

Going to go with my unpopular opinion that it should not be illegal to lie to law enforcement until you are on the stand.

It's the same as any government official really. You can't lie to the County Auditor or the Tax Man. It probably wouldn't be good for the society where lying to the government in conduct of official business is allowed.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

It's the same as any government official really. You can't lie to the County Auditor or the Tax Man. It probably wouldn't be good for the society where lying to the government in conduct of official business is allowed.

If they're allowed to lie to me I should be allowed to lie to them.

Discendo Vox posted:

If Fetterman passes during the general, what's the procedural outcome?

I believe the PADEMs would be allowed to select however they chose whichever replacement to take his place on the ballot, so the procedural outcome would be Lamb losing to Oz most likely

edit - I'm going through the rules listed on padems.com and it's silent on the issue and hasn't been updated since 2005, I'm sure there's something up to date somewhere but I can't find it because it either doesn't exist or I don't know the keywords to search

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 4, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I believe the PADEMs would be allowed to select however they chose whichever replacement to take his place on the ballot, so the procedural outcome would be Lamb losing to Oz most likely

edit - I'm going through the rules listed on padems.com and it's silent on the issue and hasn't been updated since 2005, I'm sure there's something up to date somewhere but I can't find it because it either doesn't exist or I don't know the keywords to search

Fetterman's hypothetical widow appears like a shoo-in in that case, rather than gunning for Lamb.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Fetterman's hypothetical widow appears like a shoo-in in that case, rather than gunning for Lamb.

I've long since stopped trying to divine the goals and intentions of red and purple state Dem parties lest I go mad, but what you're saying here is probably the smartest possible move they could make and absolutely one they could if they wanted

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I feel like things are accelerating as the GOP pushes our country down the hill toward the cliff.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1532861299226460161?s=20&t=8XvnN5NlIGVm3A3Vt2i5QQ

quote:

Brandishing a copy of the graphic novel "Gender Queer" as evidence, Campbell said "this is not sexual education, this is child porn and sex trafficking. This book is being pushed out in our public schools."
Actually, the book about teens and young adults grappling with their sexual identity is not part of any known public school curriculum, but has been dropped by many libraries around the country after activists made it an issue.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 4, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

but if he starts taking medication, exercising, and eating healthy permanently, then he should be fine for the foreseeable future.

ah so if he makes lifestyle changes for the first time ever in his life he'll be fine :rolleyes:

my question is if this hurts his tough guy persona or if it makes him relatable. It's not like Dr Oz is some great symbol of strength either

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gripweed posted:

Well, the problem here is that United States is already not a democracy, so the non-Republicans shouldn't be blaming democracy of all things for their problems.

bird food bathtub posted:

That's kinda the deal fascism makes with it's supporters. "Give us political power, we'll use that power to hurt the targeted out group that we've convinced you are the cause of your problems."

That's what makes Trump's base so cultishly devoted to him. For, like, 60 years now the general population of the U.S. has gotten nothing, politically speaking, from their elected officials. Voters don't get fired up and enthusiastic about tax cuts for the 1%, deregulation, and more money for the military industrial complex but that has been the only thing on the table from both parties. It's been endless gaslighting, politician speak, and bullshit for generations.

When the fascists come along and promise they'll hurt the 'right' people, well, gently caress it, nobody else is offering them anything. Might as well go with spite and anger to hurt the 'other'. At least they're getting something they want out of the deal.

You could give them actual things, they would still pick spite and anger because they are the type of people who would vote for Republicans and be part of Trump's base. Spite and anger are the most powerful motivators in their own, you don't really need it as the last option.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 4, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like things are accelerating as the GOP pushes our country down the hill toward the cliff.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1532861299226460161?s=20&t=8XvnN5NlIGVm3A3Vt2i5QQ

The GOP has always been on the LGBTQ+ = pedophiles but I feel there is an even stronger concerted push for it right now.

Our town's Pride event's FB page is just being bombarded with "groomers and pedos" talk from its citizens.

I feel like they're setting this up to be one of the pillars of their Gilead so they can simply hang/imprison them without a shred of evidence.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

ah so if he makes lifestyle changes for the first time ever in his life he'll be fine :rolleyes:

my question is if this hurts his tough guy persona or if it makes him relatable. It's not like Dr Oz is some great symbol of strength either

I think it definitely feeds into his everyman persona, there are tons of blue collar dudes his age doing the same thing. Hopefully this is the wakeup call he needs to start taking his health seriously

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

They’ll figure out a way to force Lamb in. They’re already looking for one.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Having a stroke is a Congressional requirement now anyways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

"They are teaching your kids the gay, but we also expect them to carry and kill mass shooters"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

The MA GOP is a huge collection of nobodies but Rayla is at least a really strong example of demographics don't equal destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I mean dude shot Reagan and made him feel a portion of what Salvadoran massacred civilians or AIDS victims dying on the streets of America got...I'd at least go there to thank the man for his service even if his music sucked. Most justice Reagan ever got, even if it wasn't enough or why Hinckley did it.