Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

some plague rats posted:

I said it was founded and funded by the CIA, which is true. If you want to argue that it's technically incorrect because when Clinton resurrected it to do the same exact job its funding was handed over to the state department then that's true, but given their identical missions and outlooks on the world it's such an asinine distinction I assumed no one would be pedantic enough to make something of it.

You know what isnt an assanine distinction? The difference between twiiter and weibo.

Heres a cia produced deep fake video for those interested.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/china/video-2651137/Video-Beijing-says-no-limit-China-Russia-cooperation.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Despera fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

You representing that the source should be disregarded because of something untrue about its current status doesn't validate your criticism. Knowing things isn't pedantry.

Do you think the org's funding being switched from the CIA to the state department has made any difference to their stated goals and if so why?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Discendo Vox posted:

You representing that the source should be disregarded because of something untrue about its current status doesn't validate your criticism. Knowing things isn't pedantry.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, it's actually overseen by another wing of the US government and I'm sure they have complete editorial independence.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Terminal autist posted:

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, it's actually overseen by another wing of the US government and I'm sure they have complete editorial independence.

Dumb probe, very emblematic of how this thread is modded, in that pointing out obvious reality is punished, whereas pedantic rhetorical misdirection is not. To support this point: The CIA and the State Department have the same goal in advancing US interests, and are both under the control of the executive. There really isn't much essential difference in a media outlet being run by either of them, no matter how many bureaucratic differences can be found. Arguing about this is like the thread favorite of arguing whether or not the President has influence over legislation. I'll take my probe off the air, thanks.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 3, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Why shouldn't China support Russia anyway?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why shouldn't China support Russia anyway?

For one thing, Russia currently occupies a lot of former Chinese land, particularly in the Amur water basin. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" doesn't always hold when "the enemy of my enemy is also my enemy" basically. China has no ideological or geopolitical interest in being aligned with Russia when they're so obviously needing to be prop'd up, and China doesn't need another North Korea draining its resources. Russia doesn't offer China very much except for resources and technology and China is rapidly catching up on the later and by merely waiting out the current crisis can much more easily acquire the former at a lower cost. Obviously Russia likes to engage in border conflicts with its neighbours and is generally unpredictable, not a stable partner that China would prefer. The United States is honestly a better strategic partner to China than Russia all things considered.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Why is radio free asia the issue when it was just coverage of a chinese news conference? Covered by almost every major news media outlet? A conference that the chinese foreign ministery didnt have to do?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

Why is radio free asia the issue when it was just coverage of a chinese news conference? Covered by almost every major news media outlet? A conference that the chinese foreign ministery didnt have to do?

If this is true then why didn't you choose to link a reputable, unbiased source talking about sino-russian relations?
I mean if you want to make a point about how the Chinese and Russians are relating than why do it using a source whose specific job is to make up poo poo about China?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

some plague rats posted:

If this is true then why didn't you choose to link a reputable, unbiased source talking about sino-russian relations?
I mean if you want to make a point about how the Chinese and Russians are relating than why do it using a source whose specific job is to make up poo poo about China?

Because it's a perfectly serviceable source and story and you've just been wrong about everything about both.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

holy poo poo everyone in this topic shut the gently caress up

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm personally shocked that the OP of the media literacy thread is carrying water for a propaganda outlet. I honestly expect better from D&D, but I suppose nobody is infallible.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I sometimes browse a Chinese news aggregator when I’m procrastinating at work and it’s absolutely full of pro-Russia articles about Ukraine. Article after article about how Europe and will turn on Biden any day, how US special forces and US generals have been captured or killed in Ukraine, or about how the US is planning to attack Russia. You’d think the US invaded Ukraine if it was your only source of news. TV news and more reputable news papers aren’t like that, but social media and popular tabloids are extremely pro-Russia.

It’s worth noting that at the start of the war, social media here was quite split in terms of views about the war, but pro Ukraine accounts and views have mostly disappeared. One of the most prominent, maintained by a Chinese guy living in Ukraine and posting about life during the war, was banned after saying China should not support Russia. I don’t think it takes a stretch to reach the conclusion that public opinion is being managed toward support for Russia. The bigger question is why.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Neurolimal posted:

I'm personally shocked that the OP of the media literacy thread is carrying water for a propaganda outlet. I honestly expect better from D&D, but I suppose nobody is infallible.

no, they were not:

Discendo Vox posted:

Radio Free Asia's run through the USAGM, like the rest of the Radio Frees, and is under the State Department, fully separate from the CIA. There's plenty to attack about it, but you're wrong on the basic facts.

and you were asked to drop this.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

no, they were not:

Fritz, he then went on to call it

Discendo Vox posted:

a perfectly serviceable source

Do you think that's not in conflict?

Is it fair game to respond to this after being told to drop it or are only mods allowed to continue a derail to have the last word btw

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

some plague rats posted:

Fritz, he then went on to call it

Do you think that's not in conflict?

Is it fair game to respond to this after being told to drop it or are only mods allowed to continue a derail to have the last word btw

"Serviceable" is not a ringing endorsement, it means something is functional or adequate. That is compatible with "there is plenty to attack."

This whole exchange started with Despera doing a quick google search and just grabbing one of the top hits. This is something they've done before, they caught a probe for it, and they're on a ramp for bad posting itt.

Then you and Discendo Vox had exchanges about RFA as a source, and three posters jumped in to take potshots at DV and complain about moderation.

The whole thing didn't really contribute anything to the thread, which is why GoutPatrol asked people to drop it.

If folks want to continue to discuss Chinese-Russian relations, by all means.

edit: and separate from DV's stance on RFA as a source, Neurolimal was gonna catch a probe for dropping in here to post nothing but a sarcastic swipe at another poster.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 4, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Fritz the Horse posted:

The whole thing didn't really contribute anything to the thread, which is why GoutPatrol asked people to drop it.

I strongly disagree, at least that the topic itself doesn't contribute anything to the thread.
Source criticism is probably one of the most important topics, and biggest source of disagreement, about China right now. I don't think it's too controversial to say that, right now, there is no source for news about China from either direction that is anything even remotely close to neutral or fair.

If I posted some bullshit from China Daily that was trying to promote a pro-China narrative and someone called out some way China Daily is dishonest in how they do China stories I don't think any mods would have a problem with it. If they did have a problem with that that would be worse, because that is what China Daily does. But the same is true for Western media that promotes an anti-China narrative.

So if the mods decide one is fine for discussion, and another people need to "drop" then the mods are deciding to amplify one specific narrative over the other, that one is inherently truthful enough for discussion and the other isn't because of who knows what reason (or I guess, because western media is "serviceable"), and that's kinda bullshit. I'm a huge "gently caress the party" guy but, still, gently caress that.

Despera posted:

One thing I think about when comparing sources for the same story is the way they tell the story, the specific language. You can approach the truth in different ways that imply different things depending on your bias. Like I can tell you an honest story in a way that makes it come off negatively, and someone could tell the same story just as honestly that makes it come off positively. Even in subtle ways, this shows up in all media. The whole "regime" vs "administration" thing I guess, as a general example. I honestly dont believe in neutral media, I really don't think it exists even if you tried your hardest. So even with very "neutral" things like reporting on a news conference I don't think it's ever really "neutral." But that's just my take on this kind of thing.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 4, 2022

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I sometimes browse a Chinese news aggregator when I’m procrastinating at work and it’s absolutely full of pro-Russia articles about Ukraine. Article after article about how Europe and will turn on Biden any day, how US special forces and US generals have been captured or killed in Ukraine, or about how the US is planning to attack Russia. You’d think the US invaded Ukraine if it was your only source of news. TV news and more reputable news papers aren’t like that, but social media and popular tabloids are extremely pro-Russia.

It’s worth noting that at the start of the war, social media here was quite split in terms of views about the war, but pro Ukraine accounts and views have mostly disappeared. One of the most prominent, maintained by a Chinese guy living in Ukraine and posting about life during the war, was banned after saying China should not support Russia. I don’t think it takes a stretch to reach the conclusion that public opinion is being managed toward support for Russia. The bigger question is why.

There was this at the start of the war

quote:

即刻起,乌克兰相关发微博。
都用世面首发,大号再发,推世面,对俄不利、亲酉方的不发。
首发前给我看文案。
评论进行精选控制,先开精选,然后把合适的评论 放出来,要求谁发布谁负责。要真正去关注评论往 外放。每条至少盯两天。注意交接。
如果蹭话题,只用人新央的话题。

Bolded: do not distribute anti-Russian or pro-Western material

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ronya posted:

There was this at the start of the war

Bolded: do not distribute anti-Russian or pro-Western material

What's the source on this? I can't find anything about this leak apart from this one tweet of a screenshot posted by an anonymous, unverified account and it would be nice to have something more elaborated, but I can't actually read the leaked document so I'm probably searching the wrong things

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Coverage at the time:

https://chinadigitaltimes.net/chinese/677306.html
https://chinadigitaltimes.net/chinese/677732.html

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 4, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cool, thanks for that, I'll have a read of em.

e: both those links are completely unreadable on mobile so I'll have to check it out when I get home

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It does fit what we've seen, i.e., that the range of acceptable tones is from neutral to pro-Russian/anti-Western, but responses to the latter are suppressed on Weibo, as is anti-Russian/pro-Western coverage. The result is that the nationalist narrative construction goes about untrammelled.

Same handling of monkeypox coverage (in case anyone wonders if Beijing took any public health lessons from covering Western vaccination deaths hysterically back in early 2021).

A few years down the road the Chinese recall of the Ukraine war is going to confabulate it with Yugoslavia and think that the armies of NATO marched into Kyiv to incite an ethnic cleansing of Russians; it squares the vague popular impression of Russia as a militarily powerful country at the peer level of the US (rather than, say, France) that could not possibly have been stymied by some small European country (rather than, say, a country the size of France).

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 4, 2022

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I think something we can all agree is on that a source that is NOT serviceable is that lovely fuckin Great Translation Movement account that Despera keeps posting in this thread, because even a cursory look at their timeline reveals that they basically just take screenshots of large amounts of chinese text, translate one sentence, and throw on as many hashtags as possible to make it trend about whatever people are mad at China about today.

You'd think a "translation movement" would be dedicated to....well translation, but why translate entire sources when you can extract soundbytes, I guess.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Seriously drawing an equivalence between Chinese state media and western media is a bit on the nose, even for this forum’s many apologists for authoritarianism, when it happens today of all days. A day on which, of course, nothing of any interest happened.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 4, 2022

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Seriously drawing an equivalence between Chinese state media and western media is a bit on the nose, even for this forum’s many apologists for authoritarianism, when it happens today of all days. A day on which, of course, nothing of any interest happened.

They’re not equivalent. Chinese propaganda is hamfisted and easy discern as propaganda. Western propaganda is sophisticated and effective, providing the illusion of debate and objectivity while actually providing a very limited, highly slanted spectrum of views.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Red and Black posted:

They’re not equivalent. Chinese propaganda is hamfisted and easy discern as propaganda. Western propaganda is sophisticated and effective, providing the illusion of debate and objectivity while actually providing a very limited, highly slanted spectrum of views.

Yes, we've all read Manufacturing Consent. Woodward and Bernstein and their like still exist and aren't sent to reeducation camps in Idaho.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Yes, we've all read Manufacturing Consent. Woodward and Bernstein and their like still exist and aren't sent to reeducation camps in Idaho.

sadly that was another time. these days, you whistle-blow on government wrongdoing and we'll throw you into a nice re-education hole in Loretto, Pennsylvania, on the legal grounds that's basically the same as spying during world war two.

still one of my favorite pieces of war on terror trivia, that: the list of people prosecuted for their part in our torture programs, in its entirety, is "the man who let us know they existed." can't even blame Republicans for it, that was an Obama DOJ brainwave.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Uh, no? Go look at recent Pullitzers for current examples of investigative journalism, or the Panama Papers, or the investigation into January 6th, Trump attempts to overturn the election, etc.

Anyone get tossed in jail for *reporting* on Snowden? Or Chelsea Manning?

There's tons to complain about political and corporate control over US/Western media generally, but it's nothing compared to Chinese media.

The Grauniad, for example, would be shut down. Can you get a copy of the New York Times in Beijing?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

Uh, no? Go look at recent Pullitzers for current examples of investigative journalism, or the Panama Papers, or the investigation into January 6th, Trump attempts to overturn the election, etc.

Anyone get tossed in jail for *reporting* on Snowden? Or Chelsea Manning?

There's tons to complain about political and corporate control over US/Western media generally, but it's nothing compared to Chinese media.

The Grauniad, for example, would be shut down. Can you get a copy of the New York Times in Beijing?

The Guardian is an awful example to bring up.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/31/footage-released-guardian-editors-snowden-hard-drives-gchq

quote:

Footage released of Guardian editors destroying Snowden hard drives
Luke Harding
New video footage has been released for the first time of the moment Guardian editors destroyed computers used to store top-secret documents leaked by the NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Under the watchful gaze of two technicians from the British government spy agency GCHQ, the journalists took angle-grinders and drills to the internal components, rendering them useless and the information on them obliterated.

The bizarre episode in the basement of the Guardian's London HQ was the climax of Downing Street's fraught interactions with the Guardian in the wake of Snowden's leak – the biggest in the history of western intelligence. The details are revealed in a new book – The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World's Most Wanted Man – by the Guardian correspondent Luke Harding. The book, published next week, describes how the Guardian took the decision to destroy its own Macbooks after the government explicitly threatened the paper with an injunction.

In two tense meetings last June and July the cabinet secretary, Jeremy Heywood, explicitly warned the Guardian's editor, Alan Rusbridger, to return the Snowden documents.

Heywood, sent personally by David Cameron, told the editor to stop publishing articles based on leaked material from American's National Security Agency and GCHQ. At one point Heywood said: "We can do this nicely or we can go to law". He added: "A lot of people in government think you should be closed down."

Downing Street insiders admit they struggled to come to terms with Snowden's mega-leak, and the fact that the 29-year-old American was able to upload top secret British material while working at an NSA facility in faraway Hawaii. Snowden wasn't even a full-time NSA employee, but a private contractor, one of 850,000 Americans with access to top secret UK information. "We just sat up and thought: 'Oh my God!'" one Downing Street insider said.

Some five weeks after Snowden first leaked classified NSA and GCHQ material, the British government still had no clue of the scale of the security breach. It was working on the assumption that a small amount of material had been lost.

A small team of trusted senior reporters examined Snowden's files in a secure fourth-floor room in the Guardian's King's Cross office. The material was kept on four laptops. None had ever been connected to the internet or any other network. There were numerous other security measures, including round-the-clock guards, multiple passwords, and a ban on electronics.

The government's response to the leak was initially slow – then increasingly strident. Rusbridger told government officials that destruction of the Snowden files would not stop the flow of intelligence-related stories since the documents existed in several jurisdictions. He explained that Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian US columnist who met Snowden in Hong Kong, had leaked material in Rio de Janeiro. There were further copies in America, he said.

Days later Oliver Robbins, the prime minister's deputy national security adviser, renewed the threat of legal action. "If you won't return it [the Snowden material] we will have to talk to 'other people' this evening." Asked if Downing Street really intended to close down the Guardian if it did not comply, Robbins confirmed: "I'm saying this." He told the deputy editor, Paul Johnson, the government wanted the material in order to conduct "forensics". This would establish how Snowden had carried out his leak, strengthening the legal case against the Guardian's source. It would also reveal which reporters had examined which files.

With the threat of punitive legal action ever present, the only way of protecting the Guardian's team – and of carrying on reporting from another jurisdiction – was for the paper to destroy its own computers. GCHQ officials wanted to inspect the material before destruction, carry out the operation themselves and take the remnants away. The Guardian refused.

After the destruction on Saturday 20 July, reporting switched entirely to the US. Despite these tensions, the paper continued to consult with the government before publishing national security stories. There were more than 100 interactions with No 10, the White House and US and UK intelligence agencies.

Guardian editors destroying Snowden hard drives
The hard drives used to store documents leaked by Edward Snowden are destroyed in the basement of the Guardian's London offices. Photograph: Guardian
Three Guardian staff members – Johnson, executive director Sheila Fitzsimons and computer expert David Blishen – carried out the demolition of the Guardian's hard drives. It was hot, sweaty work. On the instructions of GCHQ, the trio bought angle-grinders, dremels – a drill with a revolving bit – and masks. The spy agency provided one piece of hi-tech equipment, a "degausser", which destroys magnetic fields, and erases data. It took three hours to smash up the computers. The journalists then fed the pieces into the degausser.

Two GCHQ technical experts – "Ian" and "Chris" – recorded the process on their iPhones. Afterwards they headed back to GCHQ's doughnut-shaped HQ in Cheltenham carrying presents for family members, bought on their rare visit to the capital.

"It was purely a symbolic act," Johnson said. "We knew that. GCHQ knew that. And the government knew that," He added: "It was the most surreal event I have witnessed in British journalism."

The Snowden Files includes fresh details of Snowden's early life, his time in the CIA, and the libertarian ideas and political views which shaped his philosophy and his life-changing decision to spill government secrets. Snowden visited the UK several times during his intelligence career, including when he worked for the CIA at the US embassy in Geneva.

On one occasion he visited RAF Croughton, the CIA communications base 30 miles north of Oxford in Northamptonshire. Posting on the technology forum Ars Technica, Snowden said he was struck by the large number of sheep grazing in green fields – a classic English scene. On another occasion he flew to City airport in London. He said he was unimpressed by east London's multiracial neighbourhoods, telling one British user of the forum: "It's where all of your Muslims live. I didn't want to get out of the car."

The book also reveals that the British security service MI5 was behind the controversial detention of David Miranda, Greenwald's partner, at Heathrow airport last August. Miranda was detained under schedule 7 of the UK's Terrorism Act 2000, despite having no connection to terrorism. He was carrying heavily encrypted Snowden material at the time. MI5 tried to conceal its role in the affair, telling the police at Heathrow in a briefing: "Please do not make any reference to espionage activity. It is vital that MIRANDA is not aware of the reason for this ports stop."

It is so bad an example that if you edit your post to remove references to it I will happily edit my post to help you save face. What do you think would have happened to the journalists if they told the police to gently caress off?

As for RFA, you don’t need to go farther than their cartoons to understand the caliber of journalism they’re putting out.

quote:

China has put pro-democracy activists under house arrest ahead of the 33rd anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen massacre, while the strict suppression of June 4 commemorations of victims has spread to once-free Hong Kong, now under mainland-style authoritarian rule. But with the student protesters now well into their 50s, and children born since the killings being raised with scant knowledge of the event, the passage of time is helping the Communist Party erase memories.

quote:

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet began a visit to China with a photo op with Beijing's top diplomat that appeared to confirm the human rights community's fears that the Chinese government will use the May 23-28 tour for propaganda and keep Bachelet from seeing the reality on the ground in troubled Xinjiang and other areas. With cameras clicking, Foreign Minister Wang Yi gave Bachelet “Excerpts from Xi Jinping on Respecting and Protecting Human Rights," a book by China's paramount leader, who has tightened Communist Party control and restricted speech and other freedoms to a degree not seen in decades.

quote:

Chinese leader Xi Jinping's decision to stick with a zero-covid policy that worked in 2020 but has not stopped the spread of the Omicron variant has brought lockdowns in Shanghai, Shenzhen and Beijing among 45 mainland cities, affecting nearly 400 million people. The economic damage to China is now spilling over to U.S., Europe, Japan and others in a global economy struggling with shortages, inflation and the Ukraine conflict.

I’m embarrassed to be paying for this garbage with my tax dollars. Please let me know if the funding doesn’t really work that way:

quote:

The sinking of the Moskva, Russia’s Black Sea fleet flagship, was the biggest wartime loss of a naval ship in 40 years. Despite the major embarrassment for Vladimir Putin and the vaunted Russian military, China's Xi Jinping has maintained his embrace of his fellow strongman. Beyond the reputational damage to China from his alliance with Putin, analysts question whether Xi is getting accurate information about Russian battlefield failures, which may offer lessons for China's military.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 4, 2022

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

In any event the Western media still functions as a sophisticated propaganda outlet, regardless of whether there are bad things happening over there that don’t here or vice versa

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Red and Black posted:

Lot of words to make it sounds sinister that Western propaganda tends to rely on telling actual true events instead of just wholesale making poo poo up. Oh god! they're framing things in a light positive to causes they're sympathetic to and de-emphasizing stories that paint them in a bad light! The horror!

mawarannahr posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/31/footage-released-guardian-editors-snowden-hard-drives-gchq

It is so bad an example that if you edit your post to remove references to it I will happily edit my post to help you save face. What do you think would have happened to the journalists if they told the police to gently caress off?

As for RFA, you don’t need to go farther than their cartoons to understand the caliber of journalism they’re putting out.

I’m embarrassed to be paying for this garbage with my tax dollars. Please let me know if the funding doesn’t really work that way:

Reading this post is like listening to some moron explain Uranium One to me and then sit back like just blew my mind with the truth. I haven't been marinating in your particular echo chamber long enough to understand why I'm supposed to be outraged by any of this or why you think it's a counter to the post you're replying to.

British intelligence made them destroy the hard copies of the classified information they had already reported out without consequence? So what?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

If I may be allowed to quote your own source:

"It was purely a symbolic act," Johnson said. "We knew that. GCHQ knew that. And the government knew that," He added: "It was the most surreal event I have witnessed in British journalism."

Thanks for proving my point - nobody went to jail for publishing Snowden in the Guardian. The whole 'destroy the disks or else' was a pointless symbolic act.

I think you should keep your post just as it is, please.

:rubby:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Lot of words to make it sounds sinister that Western propaganda tends to rely on telling actual true events instead of just wholesale making poo poo up. Oh god! they're framing things in a light positive to causes they're sympathetic to and de-emphasizing stories that paint them in a bad light! The horror!

The Western media can absolutely publish things that are outright false, and does so fairly often. Especially when they’re simply passing out information from government officials and in effect acting as government mouth pieces (much like the Chinese media is accused of being)

This is why you have people in the west believing Kim Jong Un is dead, or that he has executed some official who reappears in public two days later. Or why people believe theres some government assigned social credit number that exists in China that’s just like that black mirror episode. Or why it’s just generally believed that Iran has a nuclear weapons program (they don’t). Or the infamous Iraqi WMDs that provided the impetus for the Iraq war.

On and on and on. There have been entire books written on this

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Lot of words to make it sounds sinister that Western propaganda tends to rely on telling actual true events instead of just wholesale making poo poo up.

the word 'tends' in this sentence is being asked to carry the weight of the entire middle east for the last twenty years, and you can see the concrete cracking around it from the strain.

years of your life are gone, people you knew are dead, and God only knows how many innocent iraqis are no more, all in the name of those weapons of mass destruction saddam definitely had.

that event, and the propaganda blitz surrounding it to this day, does not constitute a one-off 'oopsie'

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

If I may be allowed to quote your own source:

Thanks for proving my point - nobody went to jail for publishing Snowden in the Guardian. The whole 'destroy the disks or else' was a pointless symbolic act.

I think you should keep your post just as it is, please.

:rubby:

I want to ask again, what would have happened if they told the police to go away? Seems a waste of time and money for all of them, which is a material issue, no?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

I want to ask again, what would have happened if they told the police to go away?

I don't know, and neither do you.

quote:

Seems a waste of time and money for all of them, which is a material issue, no?

Well between the Guardian and other non-UK papers they got the story out, which I think is a huge thing even if the Guardian had to drop out after the initial releases. Good for everyone.

The Guardian sold a lot of papers, which is good for them.

Rusbridger seems to have come out of it pretty okay, according to Wikipedia.

quote:

From 2015 to 2021, Rusbridger was principal of Lady Margaret Hall in the University of Oxford. He was appointed chair of the university's Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism in 2016. In 2020, Rusbridger was announced as one of the first members of the Oversight Board created by Facebook. His appointment as incoming editor of Prospect magazine was announced in July 2021.

Lastly, Glenn Greenwald certainly picked up some dedicated fans on SA to this day, gotta score that a win for GG. Really did great off Snowden.

Here's a hypothetical for you, since this is the China thread - you think Rusbridger and Greenwald would ended up as well off if they'd been Chinese journalists?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

I don't know, and neither do you.

Well between the Guardian and other non-UK papers they got the story out, which I think is a huge thing even if the Guardian had to drop out after the initial releases. Good for everyone.

The Guardian sold a lot of papers, which is good for them.

Rusbridger seems to have come out of it pretty okay, according to Wikipedia.

Lastly, Glenn Greenwald certainly picked up some dedicated fans on SA to this day, gotta score that a win for GG. Really did great off Snowden.

Here's a hypothetical for you, since this is the China thread - you think Rusbridger and Greenwald would ended up as well off if they'd been Chinese journalists?

OK. I see your point about it being rhetorical. I’ll see if I can find some more specific information about what likely would have happened. The reason I brought it up is because it is, IMO, a very clear threat to the journalists personally and the organization as well, the kind of thing I’d expect from people like Erdogan’s thugs, and I don’t buy that it was symbolic at all — literally material, but if you believe the journalists’ words under obvious duress then I must not be discussing this correctly. I agree this doesn’t have much to do with China, I responded to it cause I believe it’s a stunningly bad example to use. (I don’t know what would happen to Glenn as a Chinese journalist and wouldn’t know where to start.)

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 4, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

Can you get a copy of the New York Times in Beijing?

Yeah, the poor, propaganda addled Chinese probably never even learned about Saddam's WMDs

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

Yeah, the poor, propaganda addled Chinese probably never even learned about Saddam's WMDs

You really want to claim Chinese media is more reliable than the NYT overall? That's the hill you want to die on? Or what was the point of your comment, if not?

After all, there's been quite a bit of reporting on the subject of Iraqi WMDs, from exposures of Curveball onward, Cheney strong-arming the CIA, the garbage mobile lab photos Powell waved around, etc. All from the horrible corrupt Western media. Yeah, the media in the west can get it wrong, but you skip over the rest of the story, that journalists kept digging. Show me the same process where Chinese media are holding their own government to account, please? Where are the headlines exposing the ongoing Uighur genocide? Criticizing China policy on Ukraine?

Ed:
The post mortem on the WMD stories basically cost Judith Miller her career.

quote:

The New York Times determined that several stories she wrote about Iraq were inaccurate, and she was forced to resign from the paper in 2005. According to commentator Ken Silverstein, Miller's Iraq reporting "effectively ended her career as a respectable journalist".

Cold comfort to be sure, but do Chinese reporters ever suffer from toeing the government line comparably?

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 4, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

You really want to claim Chinese media is more reliable than the NYT overall?

Nah, that wasn't my point at all, and it's hard to imagine how anyone would think it was, unless they were just trying to find a version of it that was easier to argue against.

Point was if you're going to try and make Jarmak's argument that western media relies on true events, or yours that Chinese media is leaps and bounds more evil than it's western counterpart, please bear in mind that within our lifetimes the specific outlet you're holding up as too truthful to be available in China lied us into a war that has killed a million people and counting and the consequences for doing so are that one of the people responsible is having trouble getting bylines 20 years later. Acting like the Chinese media is somehow worse or more propagandistic than western is just asinine, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

Ed:
The post mortem on the WMD stories basically cost Judith Miller her career.

Cold comfort to be sure, but do Chinese reporters ever suffer from toeing the government line comparably?

She immediately started writing for the wall street journal. She's currently a member of the council on foreign relations. That "effectively" and "respectable" is doing an incredible amount of heavy lifting