Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

SK has a registration thing now where you pay money to get an authorization that then allows you to travel "visa free", which is a pretty fun way to impose visas on everyone and collect some bucks without actually having to change the treaties or whatever. Wouldn't be surprised if Japan did something similar.

Alongside the ESTA and Europe’s, I think Australia also has an eVisa that takes a couple dollarydoo fee on your visit.

Kind of shocking so many people have filled ESTAs for Hawaii and Japan hasn’t decided to reciprocate as of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thread poll results 30 May 2022

Did you Japan?
You have already voted on this poll.
Hai sempai 166 38.16%
No 44 10.11%
Unknown 26 5.98%
Goku 199 45.75%
Total: 435 votes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how difficult is it to make your own "tour group". I was supposed to meet up with a friend in Japan a few years before covid and it didn't work out due to scheduling and I'm still mad about it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

So how difficult is it to make your own "tour group". I was supposed to meet up with a friend in Japan a few years before covid and it didn't work out due to scheduling and I'm still mad about it.

If you’re asking this now by the time you’re ready normal tourists will be let in.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
For those who live in Europe and want to travel to Japan - keep in mind that since Russia closed it's airspace, account for 3 to 5 hours extra of flight time. My friend's 9.5 hour flight from Finland to Tokyo is now 14.5 hours.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Last thing we need is another KAL007.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Welp

https://twitter.com/japantimes/status/1531222077033926660

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

wow, who could've ever foreseen this?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Looks like someone forgot to revere the emperor, expel the barbarian.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey we all revere the emperor in our own way

Mine is by turning my lungs to mush

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, I don’t know what they expected. Covid still exists and it’s not like the virus goes away if you declare that it’s over.

If independent, non-tour travel is open back up by October (which it looks like it will), I’m going to revive my Shikoku plan.

Dad’s interested in doing parts of the Kumano Kodo, though. Kumano isn’t near Shikoku, and my thought would be to start from Osaka and curve southwest towards Ehime, ending by riding the expressway to Onomichi->Hiroshima. I’m sure there are good trails like the Kodo in Shikoku, and I wanna work something like that into the trip. Any recs?

Other Shikoku ideas are well appreciated too! It’d be during the second half of October.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 4, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shikoku has its own famous pilgrim route you could do instead: https://www.shikoku88-japan.com/en/pilgrimage/

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

You should do the art islands. Naoshima is awesome

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grand Fromage posted:

Shikoku has its own famous pilgrim route you could do instead: https://www.shikoku88-japan.com/en/pilgrimage/

El Mero Mero posted:

You should do the art islands. Naoshima is awesome

Hell yeah, that works. Guess we’ll make a trip of Seto and the north shore of Shikoku.

How easy is public transportation across the island? We had little to no trouble out east, but I suspect the southwest is less extensive. Should we rent a car?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lol the mid-thirties year old virgin who has since childhood dreamed of having an Asian girlfriend ever since playing as Chun Li in Street Fighter 2 for the Super Nintendo in the op, just autobanned :rip:

anyway i was gonna ask about the iyonada monogatari train in matsuyama since apparently that's a really nice ride, but it looks off your route anyway

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

probably going back again in winter this year. now that russian airspace is blocked i wonder what the "normal" route from europe to japan will be, when my wife left last march she had to fly over the north pole. i guess it will either have to be that or the dubai route. it sucks that there's no feasible overland connection, or ever likely will be

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Hell yeah, that works. Guess we’ll make a trip of Seto and the north shore of Shikoku.

How easy is public transportation across the island? We had little to no trouble out east, but I suspect the southwest is less extensive. Should we rent a car?

There's decent transport for the most part. It's a bit more complex though getting to Kobe and you might need to do transfers to bus or ferry (at least that's what I did when I was there).

I didn't need to rent a car personally, but I also had a bunch of savvy friends in the area who tourguided and knew how to navigate everything. We also had bikes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

On Shikoku, one regular train and one express train go each direction once an hour. Takamatsu and Matsuyama have street cars and frequent buses, but connecting with local buses anywhere else is pretty miserable for tourists.

Ehime and Kagawa have some massive festivals in October, but we're still waiting to hear official declarations about cancellations. At least, the news said that Dogo's mikoshi smashing will happen. Our local festivals will be Oct 14-18, I hope.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lol the mid-thirties year old virgin who has since childhood dreamed of having an Asian girlfriend ever since playing as Chun Li in Street Fighter 2 for the Super Nintendo in the op, just autobanned :rip:

what

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Some guy came in shortly before COVID and posted literally that, basically that he was a 32 year old virgin who is obsessed with anime and Japan and he asks people to call him "[his name] chan", plus iirc additional embarrassing details. He just posted asking to be banned from SA since you can't delete accounts, but it looks like he was banned and then reregistered? since he doesn't have a "BANNED" note next to his avatar. He made a lot of oddly childish but not particularly bad posts, but just the type of stuff you'd expect a shy, nerdy 14 year old to post.

Also on the topic of countries that charge you for visa waivers, in addition to the USA, Europe (from 2023), and Australia, Turkey also does that. And many other countries do it in hidden ways, like charging it in the airport ticket, like Panama.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

Some guy came in shortly before COVID and posted literally that, basically that he was a 32 year old virgin who is obsessed with anime and Japan and he asks people to call him "[his name] chan", plus iirc additional embarrassing details. He just posted asking to be banned from SA since you can't delete accounts, but it looks like he was banned and then reregistered? since he doesn't have a "BANNED" note next to his avatar. He made a lot of oddly childish but not particularly bad posts, but just the type of stuff you'd expect a shy, nerdy 14 year old to post.

Autobans don't change your avatar for a while now. They used to, though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Saladman posted:

Some guy came in shortly before COVID and posted literally that, basically that he was a 32 year old virgin who is obsessed with anime and Japan and he asks people to call him "[his name] chan", plus iirc additional embarrassing details.

don't quote me on this, but i think that might have been a joke?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Stringent posted:

don't quote me on this, but i think that might have been a joke?

I doubt it. He wayyy too consistently posted the kind of stuff that someone who was seriously like that would post. Maybe it’s a decade-long bit that he was doing, but I doubt it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
nm, this isn't the place for that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man...that exchange rate. Doubt it will still be this good when I can come back. Alas.

If you weren't aware it's at 130 yen to 1 usd now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kind of makes me want to buy some right now. I mean there’s no way I don’t spend less than a few grand so it’s not even a big gamble. Just more of the logistics of actually using that in Japan since I don’t have a JPY account.

So in true spirit of being lazy, I will do nothing.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Had some funds just sitting around doing nothing so i made my way to the currency exchange to pick up some yen at a decent price... hopefully i'll be able to use it over there sooner than later

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Come before October before alcohol prices increase.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Come before October before alcohol prices increase.

and everything else too, RIP Sushiro having 100 yen plates.

though costs going up may be enough to actually get companies to nudge wages up. lol. lmao.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

El Mero Mero posted:

There's decent transport for the most part. It's a bit more complex though getting to Kobe and you might need to do transfers to bus or ferry (at least that's what I did when I was there).

I didn't need to rent a car personally, but I also had a bunch of savvy friends in the area who tourguided and knew how to navigate everything. We also had bikes.

I’m not afraid of bus transfers, did that a few times in the TKO trip. But I was thinking maybe the ferry from Osaka/Kobe to Naruto, actually - would give us a nice scenic view of Awajima. Then the Kaido from Imabari to Onomichi. The question is transport along the island itself…

What was traveling with bikes like? How did you transport them, or did you ride them the whole way? Where exactly did you go, and what route did you follow? Dad’s a cyclist, but I’m a lazy rear end in a top hat who hasn’t ridden a bike in years.

peanut posted:

On Shikoku, one regular train and one express train go each direction once an hour. Takamatsu and Matsuyama have street cars and frequent buses, but connecting with local buses anywhere else is pretty miserable for tourists.

Good to know. Looks like we’ll be in the clear once we’re in Imabari (though we might go check out Matsuyama too!), it getting around the north shore - something like this - might be tricky.

Keep in mind that I’d considered arriving on the island at Naruto, though. Should we maybe approach from Okayama instead?

There’s also the fact that dad wants to do a few days of the Henro trail:

And I’m not terribly sure what part of that would make sense to do here. Maybe the part right north of Kochi? Or closer to Kagawa?

quote:

Ehime and Kagawa have some massive festivals in October, but we're still waiting to hear official declarations about cancellations. At least, the news said that Dogo's mikoshi smashing will happen. Our local festivals will be Oct 14-18, I hope.

It’s probably gonna have to be the later half of October, sadly, so festivals might be over by then :( Hopefully not, or hopefully they go later. Still going to be fun anyway!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For the ohenro trail, Saijo is flat and straight except for No. 60 (Yokomine-ji) on top of a mountain, and I also recommend Unpen-ji and Kompira* in Kagawa.

Matsuyama has super cute trains and an excellent castle.

I live in Niihama, if you need a festival or izakaya guide…

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh poo poo yeah, I’ll take any and all help getting around when my conversational skills are worse than a bucket’s :v:

Sounds like we’d do at minimum the trail from Kanonji to Yokomineji (other temples not marked), with a stop-off in Niihama.

I’ve been suggested four days straight of the henro, and I have no idea how much of that I’ll be able to handle :laffo: but we might well walk to Matsuyama, too.

Google Maps is giving me directions directly through cities (not surprising), and dad’s gonna want to see a lot of nature. We might take some more scenic routes instead, but something tells me that won’t be terribly easy. I’ll do some research.

If the festivals are still going on by the time we’re in the area, I’m super down for going to see them!!!!

E: Welp, that got nixed. Too urban, was hoping to connect with nature. :shrug: More interested in the Nakahechi trail over in Kumano - maybe we’ll get a tour guide for that 3-4 day leg, then take a ferry across the bay. Still gonna dedicate a large chunk of the trip to Shikoku!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 7, 2022

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Keep in mind that I’d considered arriving on the island at Naruto, though. Should we maybe approach from Okayama instead?

There’s also the fact that dad wants to do a few days of the Henro trail:

And I’m not terribly sure what part of that would make sense to do here. Maybe the part right north of Kochi? Or closer to Kagawa?

Are you planning on driving? The route you selected is a highway. If you want to bike you can go along Rte 11.

I wouldn't suggest coming from Okayama by car or bike (bike not even possible since they closed the ferries), but if you're taking the train that's the best way. If you're driving you will save a lot of money and time going across at Awajishima.

If you want to do a short Henro experience, the first 10 or so temples in Tokushima are pretty close together and you can walk to all of them in a day or two.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LyonsLions posted:

Are you planning on driving? The route you selected is a highway. If you want to bike you can go along Rte 11.

Sorry, that was just meant to be illustrative of the general direction we’d head in. Clockwise along the inland sea. I would love to hear about our options for traveling along the coast, cars might be doable but trains or buses would be awesome.

quote:

I wouldn't suggest coming from Okayama by car or bike (bike not even possible since they closed the ferries), but if you're taking the train that's the best way. If you're driving you will save a lot of money and time going across at Awajishima.

I was actually thinking of coming in via Awajima. Fly into Osaka, travel across Awajima to Naruto, yada-yada our way to Niihama and gaze upon the sea, hang out in Matsuyama, cycle across the Kaido, chill in Onomichi, travel back to KIX and fly out.

…well, that’s what I would do. But 4-5 days are prolly spent in Kumano now, so I don’t know what I can realistically get done anymore.

quote:

If you want to do a short Henro experience, the first 10 or so temples in Tokushima are pretty close together and you can walk to all of them in a day or two.

Runs into the same problem of being heavily urban.

All green or get the gently caress out. :goleft:

Temple walks like the Kodo or the 88 are unfortunately not going to work, because the nature of pilgrimages means that towns and cities pop up to serve pilgrims over the years, so temples are surrounded by civilization. I know this, you know this. My dad does not.

Admittedly, the Kodo seems to be manicured well enough that it’s mostly green. But I suspect my dad is thinking of his favorite parts of el Camino de Santiago. I dunno how well he’ll take the asphalt roads.

I’ll also admit I’m a little annoyed that we’re going the opposite direction from my original plan

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This is the first time anyone told me Shikoku is too urban

Btw there's an overnight ferry between Osaka and Saijo, and a daytime ferry between Kobe and Niihama
https://www.orange-ferry.co.jp/sp.php

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 7, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

To be fair that was my dad, not me.

I’m probably going to boil it down to (Daikoji-)Unpenji-Sankakuji and the lead up to Yokomineji, see if that’ll appease him.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, pulled the trigger on May 5-28 2023 since I need to lock in my availability for work projects in FY23 and plan any extra resourcing, so this was as good a time as any.

Air Canada /destroyed/ the Aeroplan program so I spent way more travel points than I expected (~190k vs 100k last time I booked), but also the cancellation policy is less flexible than "PLEASE SPEND MONEY DURING COVID" bookings so I'm hoping everything is back to ez-travel-mode next May. Rescheduling is still free for now, so worst case I can push my plans back if necessary.

Anyway, hoping to catch the sumo tournament while I'm there,

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Looking forward to jackal's "well I went ahead and booked my ticket for October 20th 2024" post in the coming months

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

Looking forward to jackal's "well I went ahead and booked my ticket for October 20th 2024" post in the coming months

Hey, third time's the charm :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well goons, it’s finally happening. Radiation levels have dropped enough and the Grand Atlantic Duchy is opening the Iron Gate to anyone emitting less than 3.6 roentgen per diem. I bought a new suit and jury rigged a new plasma harpoon and if the skies are clear of razor hyenas, I’ll soon be welcoming our new golden era by riding blinksharks under the Neo Tokyo-4 ruins! See you all in 2050, and remember: the Moon never happened. The Moon never happened. The Moon never happened. The Moon never happened. The Moon never happened. The M