Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Delighted to report movement around the maze like interior of my Idris is easily as smooth and intuitive as that seen in Pac Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Posted on the main :reddit: with the title When NPCs Actually Work...Their Mocap Is Next Level

Behold!

https://v.redd.it/o9d3sgsy5g391/DASH_720.mp4

Comments:

:laffo:

Even Skyrim chars whining about arrows in their knees make eye contact, head track and stop and walk on when you bunny hop away.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

quote:

$500M FUNDING REWARD?

Since we didn't get a reward for the project reaching $400M, do you think we will once we hit this historic milestone? Personally, I don't mind if we don't but what about you all? Love to hear the community's opinion and generate some discussion.  

What would you like to see as a possible gift back to the community for reaching half a billion in funding?

quote:

This excessive entitled mooching is getting to the point that I hope they never give us another thing again. What began as an appreciation has become an expected dole.

quote:

I think there's enough other discussion going on to not stir the pot with this, clearly flame bait.

quote:

I don't see much reason to have one, it'll be the same old song and dance.

Kotaku will make some article claiming it's still not done and a thousand places will run with it, they'll just continue making the game.

quote:

So very true, those "journalists" sure have a lot of free time on their hands for people who are supposed to be playing games and giving honest reviews. I'll just stick to Youtubers and content creators to see real people's opinions.

quote:

Do y'all get this worked up and demand free poo poo when Wal-Mart posts a record profit each quarter?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'll grant the last mo-cap face looked pretty impressive, but generally it's... fine. It's current gen, maybe PS4/X1 level.

I mean this is the problem where none of the hardcore fans have played any other video games that came out in the last ten years. Like games have gotten pretty good at this part, facial capture tech advanced a lot and depending how much of a budget a game has the faces can look pretty real. What I've seen of Aloy in Horizon: Forbidden West is really convincing. (And that's a console game, no less.)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'll grant the last mo-cap face looked pretty impressive, but generally it's... fine. It's current gen, maybe PS4/X1 level.

I mean this is the problem where none of the hardcore fans have played any other video games that came out in the last ten years. Like games have gotten pretty good at this part, facial capture tech advanced a lot and depending how much of a budget a game has the faces can look pretty real. What I've seen of Aloy in Horizon: Forbidden West is really convincing. (And that's a console game, no less.)

Yeah, to be fair, the last two characters look pretty good in terms of body gestures/facial expressions. But otherwise it looks like, well, your standard gaming scene. I'm not an artist so couldn't tell if it's polygons/lighting/colours, but it instantly screams video game 101. And it's not even a bad thing in itself, I never really cared for amazeballs graphics, but when it's the alleged focus, well... let's call it tier 0 I guess...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

quote:

This excessive entitled mooching is getting to the point that I hope they never give us another thing again. What began as an appreciation has become an expected dole.

Cue someone playing the clip of Chris Roberts being disappointed that people where not sending CIG as many gifts as they where in the pass. :trustme:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/glQzmf9.mp4

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yep, they mostly looked good but not anything that anyone normal would think worth mentioning. LA Noire is 11 years old so why are we still talking about that? The faces weren't even that great in it.

The backers are frozen in some time warp from a decade ago given how easily impressed they are.

I've watched some Love, Death + Robots episodes that should be the modern comparison, like The Secret War episode or something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Fidelitious posted:

LA Noire is 11 years old so why are we still talking about that? The faces weren't even that great in it.

yeah but the memes

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

The new face tech looks so good that even goon fudsterailures have to admit that it looks „pretty good“ yet another win for CIG

(no more winning please)

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

More great stuff from Spectrum.

CIG and coding.

quote:

A lot of developers leave their games with 'messy' code. Bethesda is one of the biggest culprits of this. I have to think it is mostly due them being pushed to meet publishing deadlines. There's no other excuse for it.

CIG, despite everyone's screaming on forums, have no such deadlines or corporate backing push to finish sooner rather than later. This is why their code is getting quite organized and it shows. Their continued efforts to streamline and organize their code have paid off. I mean, I can play the game at 4k with 30 to 50 fps but there will be massive slow downs into the teens in some areas. Which is why I have gone back to 1440, for now. I am enjoying being at 50 fps on stations rather than 25. Plus, I spend a lot of time on or very near planets and moons.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fifty_nested_if_statements.png

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CIG and coding.

Yes this code must be organised because the game runs

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

all gamescode consists of

// HACK:
// WTF HOW DOES THIS WORK
// TODO:
// FIX BEFORE RELEASE:
// BRUTAL HACK BECAUSE DEADLINE IS TOMORROW, WILL FIX LATER

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CIG and coding.

:lol:

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
The game runs at a smooth 4k/30 except all the times it doesn't which is apparently a lot since I had to drop down to 1440.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The game runs smoothly sometimes, therefore the code is cleaner than Skyrim's.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sebmojo posted:

La noire came out in 2011 lol

yea long time ago lol

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
performance has nothing to do with code organization. as a 15 year veteran of the automotive software industry (project management), if anything more organized code has fewer performance-related hacks PLUS theres tons of fluid dynamics calculations going on at every moment to get the precise argon level around your ship as it cancels out turbulence while it flies through the atmosphere. SC will run better when computers get better :smugbert:

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
Is this game still raising millions of dollars a month with no finished product in sight?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

cmdrk posted:

performance has nothing to do with code organization. as a 15 year veteran of the automotive software industry (project management), if anything more organized code has fewer performance-related hacks PLUS theres tons of fluid dynamics calculations going on at every moment to get the precise argon level around your ship as it cancels out turbulence while it flies through the atmosphere. SC will run better when computers get better :smugbert:

I hear the first exa-scale has been delivered, will that be enough?

:fingerscrossed:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

BigSexy posted:

Is this game still raising millions of dollars a month with no finished product in sight?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

CIG and coding.
I can't wait for the modding manual sold by CIG to find its use when modders will release Unofficial Star Citizen Patch, but Arthmoor will randomly add Oblivion gates to major space stations

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Do any other games put out modding manuals?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lammasu posted:

Unreal sort of did, back in 1998. :haw:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's usually just access to a toolkit that the devs themselves would use if they advertise mod support.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

That's excluding the tax credits and Calders investments (about 40m?), right? Even so, it's mindboggling. The only solace from that waste of resources is that it is hopefully redistributed to an army of young developers, and not exclusively into yacht funds.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lammasu posted:

I mean, this one hasn't either...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Lammasu posted:

Yes, and even release a handful of tools of varying quality. Star citizen remains unreleased despite hundreds of tools of varying quality working on it.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

quote:

[...]a substantial new scene for chapter five that features the player getting into an elevator.

Imagine how long it will take CIG to copy Captain America’s elevator scene.

They will still be talking about it in 2030.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Work has progressed on iterating the elevator scene. Forth enemy spy has been added and the frame rate is improving (currently at 5 fps).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

Don't say "other" like sc has done it.

They are only selling a modding manual that has never actually been written or distributed anywhere to anybody, for 10 years.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Early days

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Triple AAA studios are just playing it safe, and indie devs are just asset-flipping garbage peddlers. CIG may not have delivered the modding manual yet but at least they have the Ambition (tm) to do so. Checkmate, fudster.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Tbh I had been thinking about buying the modding manual as it’s the cheapest ticket into the inevitable class action.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Lord Stimperor posted:

That's excluding the tax credits and Calders investments (about 40m?), right? Even so, it's mindboggling. The only solace from that waste of resources is that it is hopefully redistributed to an army of young developers, and not exclusively into yacht funds.

It's not just mindboggling, it's actually unbelievable, given what CIG actually gets done in any given month. If you told me they were including the tax credits and investments and, I don't know, the profits from undersea treasure-hunting expeditions and bank robberies they're committing on the side, I'd still have a hard time believing those numbers are real. I'd be more likely to believe that they hit the "gently caress it, just put out numbers that look successful, we'll either go bankrupt or turn things around before we can possibly get caught, and by then it's not going to matter how much we lied" point.

And even if the numbers were real, I'd be shocked if more than half of that money made it down to the employees instead of directly into the pockets of Chris and his cronies.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Tangential, but it puts the term 'flight model' into perspective for me. Developer of the X-Plane flight sim on his flight model:

https://developer.x-plane.com/article/x-plane-12-flight-model-report/

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 4, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Beexoffel posted:

Tangential, but it puts the term 'flight model' into perspective for me. Developer of the X-Plane flight sim on his flight model:

https://developer.x-plane.com/article/x-plane-12-flight-model-report/

there's nothing like a beautiful rolling green scalar field

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

Lol but seriously how is this taking in so much money? How was 2021 their biggest year? They can’t be attracting that many new people to a project that’s 10 years in and only has a buggy alpha to show for it? Where is the money coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

BigSexy posted:

Lol but seriously how is this taking in so much money? How was 2021 their biggest year? They can’t be attracting that many new people to a project that’s 10 years in and only has a buggy alpha to show for it? Where is the money coming from?

It's been said before but it's almost certainly either just made up or money laundering.