Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Thank you for brightening my Friday with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They instinctively understand that the game is about to end and they want to run up the score.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that's because it is

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmao this feels exactly like the "countdown to the rapture" sites and poo poo like that.

It's not wrong (though I don't know about the countdowns), but still

reminded me of (the now defunct) deoxy.org, but for extinction.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

quote:

Justina Rodríguez, a 70-year-old farmer who was never taught to read or write, says she hasn’t heard of climate change and is not worried about a disaster. But she notes that the days are hotter, the nights colder, and the rains are less predictable.

:rip: to the progeny of that lady from Peru who participated in a mob to demolish a flood warning system :rip:

e. here's the full article. What else is interesting is that downstream, NIMBY-types from the city are blocking property values from being re-assessed due to increasing risks of glaciers melting and flooding the entire valley, lol

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2022/06/02/why-peruvian-villagers-tore-down-a-flood-warning-system posted:

When a drought swept across Hualcán, a village in Peru, in 2016 many of its indigenous residents felt they knew what was to blame: antennae at Lake 513, a blue-green pool of water some 1,400 metres above them. Villagers had seen scientists make the trek to visit the antennae over the years, but few knew why. Some said the masts had been put there to block rains to benefit a copper mine. In November that year dozens of Quechua villagers and farmers dismantled them. Within hours, it started raining, claims Juan Reyes, a local. “The antennae seemed to be withholding the rain,” he says.

They were not. Lake 513 is one of hundreds of new lakes that have formed beneath Peru’s tropical glaciers as climate change melts them, threatening villages below with floods and landslides. The antennae were part of a system of sensors, video cameras and radio signals that would trigger sirens downstream when disaster struck.

The story highlights a difficulty involved in helping Peruvians adapt to climate change. Local farmers have vowed to bar scientists from re-installing the system, which would give the inhabitants of Carhuaz downstream about 15 minutes to evacuate. Now the municipality relies on workers at another project to report potential landslides. Officials plan to ring bells and blow whistles.

Christian Huggel of the University of Zurich, who spent four years developing the dismantled system, says his team underestimated the cultural challenges. For locals, water scarcity seems a more urgent problem than a disaster that may never happen. Similarly in Huaraz, a city where thousands live in a flood path, some residents have opposed the mapping of flood risks because of concerns about property values.

Today batteries from the dismantled early-warning system at Lake 513 gather dust in the village church. Justina Rodríguez, a 70-year-old farmer who was never taught to read or write, says she hasn’t heard of climate change and is not worried about a disaster. But she notes that the days are hotter, the nights colder, and the rains are less predictable. Now that the antennae are gone, she says, if another drought strikes, she won’t know what to blame.

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Jun 4, 2022

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Fox News thinking without the Fox News.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Well, since I looked up that YouTube video on plastic mulch my feed has been ... "interesting". gently caress it, Friday night, might as well share the horror.

I had not heard the term "plasticulture" before. Here it is, being pushed by a university extension service. You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3-TGwiVJv0

There's been a lot of discussion over the years about "appropriate technology" - small scale low energy technology to improve the life of peasant farmers without a large capital outlay. It's a rather quaint concept - the obvious solution is to seize the land, clear it of peasants, and turn it over to huge corporations who will rip out the hedgerows and cultivate post to post, as God intended.

If, however, there are still peasants who want to improve their lot through plasticulture, they're covered. A plastic mulch layer for your walk-behind tractor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD10mFBShVY

No walk behind tractor? No problem, you can lay plastic by hand! There's even a spool for the drip tape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fei6Ss637qs

The key to proper environmental stewardship is to pay 2.5x the cost of regular garbage bag polyethylene for the "biodegradable" plastic (polyethylene with a starch matrix?). By the time you get around to "incorporating" it into your soil it will have broken down enough that very little ends up wrapped around your giant rototiller (2:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ira-TO9s85E

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

just so you know, i love your posts on farming and you are one of my top sources of agricultural wisdom right now

Thank you. I should warn you though that I'm a bit of a poser - the only thing I sell for money is honey and that just helps offset the cost of keeping 80,000 arthropods as pets . Driving my truck in to town every day to flog fresh lettuce to restaurants is unappealing, I prefer to leave that to the urban farmers on their bikes. Mainly I just keep my network supplied with asparagus, apples, and pattypan squash and build up the soil over what used to be a gravel pit just in case I need to expand in a hurry when the warlords appear and start farming the farmers.

Proof that I am a poser is my inability to reliably open sacks closed with a chain stitch. This includes feed, fertilizer, and bulk sacks of grain and legumes. I had a little extra money last fall and instead of investing it in cryptocurrency I bought sacks of several varieties of wheat. Instead of paper a lot of these sacks now are made of woven plastic, like some tarp material. Still closed with a chain stitch, but if you screw up and take out your knife the plastic does not cut cleanly, you end up spending quality time picking little bits of plastic out of your wheat before you can mill it.

I will not be doing that again. It is time to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_92QgDtoW0

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hexigrammus posted:

Proof that I am a poser is my inability to reliably open sacks closed with a chain stitch.

holy poo poo my hog feed bags are the bane of my existence. thanks for letting me know im not alone in my frustration, maybe that video will take the edge off in the future

everytime i open one its like the intro to a late night infomercial. there's got to be a better way!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

mawarannahr posted:

according to viktor frankl the lmaos never really stop :)
i often think of frankl saying the first time any of them felt any joy after being freed from auschwitz was when they saw a rooster with a magnificent multi-coloured tail :unsmith:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Wakko posted:

But the dead bodies haven't been all bad for business. New beaches have emerged and Scuba divers are flocking to the lake to search for more bodies, said Chad Taylor, who is in charge of sales and marketing for the marina.

"I'm a lake half full kind of guy," he said. "We're still open for business".
lol i will go mad

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Hexigrammus posted:

Proof that I am a poser is my inability to reliably open sacks closed with a chain stitch. This includes feed, fertilizer, and bulk sacks of grain and legumes. I had a little extra money last fall and instead of investing it in cryptocurrency I bought sacks of several varieties of wheat. Instead of paper a lot of these sacks now are made of woven plastic, like some tarp material. Still closed with a chain stitch, but if you screw up and take out your knife the plastic does not cut cleanly, you end up spending quality time picking little bits of plastic out of your wheat before you can mill it.
why even bother picking it out? it adds pflavour

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

atelier morgan posted:

you can convert your chainsaws to run on ethanol like any ICE

just make sure you have 'person who can gently caress with engines' in your community along with the person who has 50 chainsaws

haha, this is Vermont, i can gently caress with engines to some extent and I'm worse at it than anyone else on my road

converting a cheapass chainsaw and getting a federal fuel alcohol license and a still seems like a fun project for next summer. need to find out what proof you have to hit, 160 is easy and cheap but I think getting higher than that needs copper gear and not glass.

a working copper still is prolly also a good thing to have and that's very up my alley

edit: good lord, people report making 180-190 proof stuff for $2/gallon. i pay $80/gal for 200 proof, but 190 is likely "good enough", I have an acre to grow corn and the cost of a still is less than I'll spend on ethanol this year. gears are turning

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 11:20 on Jun 4, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

on easter sunday a raven brought me a hot cross bun

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

the eighty thousand arthropods of hexigrammus would be a good band name

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

you just described how the tech industry works lol

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

this is amazing

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

The Wisest Moron posted:

I think they're aiming for an integer overflow on warming.

Senate Republicans: a half A press is not a button press

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This storm that came through South Florida is a cool little preview of about a foot or so of sea level rise

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Man Musk posted:

:rip: to the progeny of that lady from Peru who participated in a mob to demolish a flood warning system :rip:

e. here's the full article. What else is interesting is that downstream, NIMBY-types from the city are blocking property values from being re-assessed due to increasing risks of glaciers melting and flooding the entire valley, lol

yet more proof american exceptionalism is wrong; we're all dumb and doomed

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Slick "AU"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Lmfao

https://twitter.com/MiamiWaterkpr/status/1529976529870110720?s=20&t=CRfGWqx1ueceQD5_r0G1JQ

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I bought a magnet today

That is all

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The ordinance was kicked down for now but this local news clip has some additional info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApG-sGcyLk4

The commissioner who pushed it forward is a noted Bad Guy who once flipped out on student activists asking about climate change by telling them they shouldn't worry because they're all going to die from nuclear war most likely anyways.

While on my little soapbox, the county also delayed a vote to once again push back the urban development boundary which is supposed to demarcate where construction stops to help the Everglades so that they could build some warehouses. A rich commercial landowner guy went to a county meeting and actually said it was a horrible idea and that seemed to sway some comissioners away from voting yes. BUT the vote was only delayed not fully shut down so they're just waiting for the heat to die down before more than likely passing it.
One fun aspect of this is that the groups wanting to move the boundary to build warehouses said that actually it would be better for the environment if they were there versus the farms currently there because they won't any pesiticide and fertilizer run off from the warehouses. They also contend that this time the warehouses will be built with sustainability in mind, ignoring that this is basically right at the door of the Everglades which happens to be a major source of drinking water for South Florida.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

net work error posted:

The commissioner who pushed it forward is a noted Bad Guy who once flipped out on student activists asking about climate change by telling them they shouldn't worry because they're all going to die from nuclear war most likely anyways.

A nuclear war indirectly or maybe even directly caused by climate change.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hexigrammus posted:

Well, since I looked up that YouTube video on plastic mulch my feed has been ... "interesting". gently caress it, Friday night, might as well share the horror.

I had not heard the term "plasticulture" before. Here it is, being pushed by a university extension service. You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3-TGwiVJv0

There's been a lot of discussion over the years about "appropriate technology" - small scale low energy technology to improve the life of peasant farmers without a large capital outlay. It's a rather quaint concept - the obvious solution is to seize the land, clear it of peasants, and turn it over to huge corporations who will rip out the hedgerows and cultivate post to post, as God intended.

If, however, there are still peasants who want to improve their lot through plasticulture, they're covered. A plastic mulch layer for your walk-behind tractor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD10mFBShVY

No walk behind tractor? No problem, you can lay plastic by hand! There's even a spool for the drip tape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fei6Ss637qs

The key to proper environmental stewardship is to pay 2.5x the cost of regular garbage bag polyethylene for the "biodegradable" plastic (polyethylene with a starch matrix?). By the time you get around to "incorporating" it into your soil it will have broken down enough that very little ends up wrapped around your giant rototiller (2:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ira-TO9s85E

Thank you. I should warn you though that I'm a bit of a poser - the only thing I sell for money is honey and that just helps offset the cost of keeping 80,000 arthropods as pets . Driving my truck in to town every day to flog fresh lettuce to restaurants is unappealing, I prefer to leave that to the urban farmers on their bikes. Mainly I just keep my network supplied with asparagus, apples, and pattypan squash and build up the soil over what used to be a gravel pit just in case I need to expand in a hurry when the warlords appear and start farming the farmers.

I will not be doing that again. It is time to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_92QgDtoW0

lol i had to take community service course in undergrad and picked a gardening one where i learned all the benefits of the plastic in these videos is also provided by just laying down a layer of old hay after the crops have sprouted

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i often think of frankl saying the first time any of them felt any joy after being freed from auschwitz was when they saw a rooster with a magnificent multi-coloured tail :unsmith:

Man's Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl posted:

And now to the last chapter in the psychology of a concentration camp—the psychology of the prisoner who has been released. In describing the experiences of liberation, which naturally must be personal, we shall pick up the threads of that part of our narrative which told of the morning when the white flag was hoisted above the camp gates after days of high tension. This state of inner suspense was followed by total relaxation. But it would be quite wrong to think that we went mad with joy. What, then, did happen?

With tired steps we prisoners dragged ourselves to the camp gates. Timidly we looked around and glanced at each other questioningly. Then we ventured a few steps out of camp. This time no orders were shouted at us, nor was there any need to duck quickly to avoid a blow or kick. Oh no! This time the guards offered us cigarettes! We hardly recognized them at first; they had hurriedly changed into civilian clothes. We walked slowly along the road leading from the camp. Soon our legs hurt and threatened to buckle. But we limped on; we wanted to see the camp’s surroundings for the first time with the eyes of free men. “Freedom”—we repeated to ourselves, and yet we could not grasp it. We had said this word so often during all the years we dreamed about it, that it had lost its meaning. Its reality did not penetrate into our consciousness; we could not grasp the fact that freedom was ours.

We came to meadows full of flowers. We saw and realized that they were there, but we had no feelings about them. The first spark of joy came when we saw a rooster with a tail of multicolored feathers. But it remained only a spark; we did not yet belong to this world.

In the evening when we all met again in our hut, one said secretly to the other, “Tell me, were you pleased today?”

And the other replied, feeling ashamed as he did not know that we all felt similarly, “Truthfully, no!” We had literally lost the ability to feel pleased and had to relearn it slowly.

-

Psychologically, what was happening to the liberated prisoners could be called “depersonalization.” Everything appeared unreal, unlikely, as in a dream. We could not believe it was true. How often in the past years had we been deceived by dreams! We dreamt that the day of liberation had come, that we had been set free, had returned home, greeted our friends, embraced our wives, sat down at the table and started to tell of all the things we had gone through—even of how we had often seen the day of liberation in our dreams. And then— a whistle shrilled in our ears, the signal to get up, and our dreams of freedom came to an end. And now the dream had come true. But could we truly believe in it?

Everyone should read Frankl, imo. He has lessons that will help us cope with our future.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol i had to take community service course in undergrad and picked a gardening one where i learned all the benefits of the plastic in these videos is also provided by just laying down a layer of old hay after the crops have sprouted

Plastic mulch is just insanely effective. Weeds will grow in hay or basically any other mulching material you can think of, and you won't get the same heating benefits, either. Clear plastic will straight up solarize (ie, kill anything and everything under it) soil if that's what you're after, and you can use black or white plastic depending on the crops you're growing or your specific needs. Note that all of these options are heavily sold as being environmentally friendly because they don't involve dousing the soil in pesticides or herbicides to deal with the problem.

Plastic mulch is one of those things that's just laser-targeted at our regulation-hating capitalist sensibilities. It's labor-saving, cheap as gently caress, and incredibly good at what it does, just as long as you ignore any long-term effects at all.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Plastic mulch is just insanely effective. Weeds will grow in hay or basically any other mulching material you can think of, and you won't get the same heating benefits, either. Clear plastic will straight up solarize (ie, kill anything and everything under it) soil if that's what you're after, and you can use black or white plastic depending on the crops you're growing or your specific needs. Note that all of these options are heavily sold as being environmentally friendly because they don't involve dousing the soil in pesticides or herbicides to deal with the problem.

Plastic mulch is one of those things that's just laser-targeted at our regulation-hating capitalist sensibilities. It's labor-saving, cheap as gently caress, and incredibly good at what it does, just as long as you ignore any long-term effects at all.

We used newspaper and hay/clumps of dirt to hold it down. Not sure how much better that is considering its just laying tree carcasses instead of plastic bags.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

nomad2020 posted:

We used newspaper and hay/clumps of dirt to hold it down. Not sure how much better that is considering its just laying tree carcasses instead of plastic bags.

I mean, lots of things work. We use scrap cardboard from shipping boxes in our garden paths and it's effective, but it tends to break down quickly (sometimes in less than one season) and hardy weeds will just dig their roots right into the cardboard. Traditional mulches like straw or wood chippings work great, which is why people have used them since forever. It's just that none of that stuff is as quick and easy as running a big loving sheet of plastic behind your tractor and then either ripping it up and burning or digging the plastic right back into the soil.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

nomad2020 posted:

Cellulose can be broken down though, that plastic mulch is forever lol

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, lots of things work. We use scrap cardboard from shipping boxes in our garden paths and it's effective, but it tends to break down quickly (sometimes in less than one season) and hardy weeds will just dig their roots right into the cardboard. Traditional mulches like straw or wood chippings work great, which is why people have used them since forever. It's just that none of that stuff is as quick and easy as running a big loving sheet of plastic behind your tractor and then either ripping it up and burning or digging the plastic right back into the soil.

Just weird how the correct™ way of doing things seems to also be the way to kill us all.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A nuclear war indirectly or maybe even directly caused by climate change.

Yes but he was saying it as a handwave-y thing a la "The Green Dream or whatever"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A good thing to do right as we're facing food shortages. :)

https://twitter.com/wilfredchan/status/1533062471845552129

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

A good thing to do right as we're facing food shortages. :)

https://twitter.com/wilfredchan/status/1533062471845552129

Finland instituted free school lunch for everyone in 1948. We still have it today. How hard can it be for such an advanced country as USA to feed the country's children?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

Finland instituted free school lunch for everyone in 1948. We still have it today. How hard can it be for such an advanced country as USA to feed the country's children?

america uses it as a handout to food corporations primarily

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's intentional depopulation and immiseration not a policy failure what the gently caress

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
"Why are they criminalizing homelessness? :downs:"
"The money we gave to Ukraine could solve homelessness :downs:"
"The money we gave to Ukraine could end world hunger :downs:"

They pay prisoners $0.15 an hour for labor this is not a difficult puzzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy