Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy5pixelremaster/mods/25

I think this prevents you from naming Bortz however. You'll still need to unlock the Jobs option in the menu by finishing the wind crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Is there a mod like the GBA Fiesta one that unlocks all jobs instantly for the SNES version?

I don't have a rom hack for it, but this PAR code should work:
7E0840FF
7E0841FF
7E0842FF

Or just changing the bytes at 000840 through 000842 to 255 if your emulator has a memory editor but no oldschool cheat support.

Another option is just using a save file edited to have them unlocked, though this does prevent you from having silly Butz name replacements. This is what I do when playing on hardware.

Here's such a file just past the wind temple:
http://modoh.mooo.com/4jf/misc/ff5_save_with_all_jobs.srm
You'll have to rename it to match your ff5 rom filename and place it where your emulator or flash cart expects it.

Flee count of this save is 0, in case you're actually going Brave Blade.

Edit:
Making a hack for this wasn't too hard. Apply this to an unheadered FF5 SNES/SFC rom:
(removed, see below)
Considering I just made this 10 minutes ago it's not extensively tested, but it seems to work. "Job" is greyed out in the menu until you unlock jobs for real, but it still works even before then.

Another Edit:
Apparently the ips patch had the side effect of also letting you use all of the job abilities once you had any of them, which you probably don't want.
The save file and PAR code methods above didn't have this issue.

Fixed version here: http://modoh.mooo.com/4jf/misc/ff5_alljobs.zip

Modoh fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 12, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Awesome, thank you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Voting on The Run ends in a little over a day, so if you're somehow planning to donate fat stacks, please do so soon because the current run of Geo/Zerk/Thief/Dragoon looks like utter rear end.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Voting on The Run ends in a little over a day, so if you're somehow planning to donate fat stacks, please do so soon because the current run of Geo/Zerk/Thief/Dragoon looks like utter rear end.
I am willing to donate towards something, just not sure about what. Maybe Monk/Time/BM/Dancer?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

My god that's a terrible team.

I donated to Time Time Time Time and an extra 100 to just get SOMETHING going as all the other jobs besides maybe dancer and Dragoon are just way too far away. I'd prefer to have dancer over dragoon but the run probably needs durability.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

I am willing to donate towards something, just not sure about what. Maybe Monk/Time/BM/Dancer?

Monk wouldn't really be a good improvement for this particular party since it's a job that wants levels, which just slows down a speed run. Otherwise White Mage/Time Mage/Dancer are the ones that are closest right now, and any of those would be handy to have (buffs for White/Time to cut down on grinding, burst damage for Dancer for difficult bosses).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I was thinking less about the team being powerful and more about it being interesting, but I take your point on Monk slowing things down (not interesting for a speedrun) and not bringing much in return. I'll see what I can do once I get home from work.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The big things Monk brings to the table are Barehanded and its high Strength/Vitality stats. The issue is Berserker also has high STR/VIT so having Monk also is kinda wasted, and Barehanded is really only useful in W1 unless you do a lot of grinding. It can definitely stand out in other parties, but it doesn't really work well here.

Geo/Zerk is fine since !Gaia will actually be handy for level grinding, and since it will be able to deal big damage with Rune Axe. Thief OR Dragoon would be fine, but both just makes things terrible since you get no magic to work with and they're both mostly mediocre. Thief at least gets you some decent steals early on, and Dragoon is tanky and might actually make NED more doable at early levels, but you don't really have a lot of wiggle room with that party when something like Shell/Curaga from White Mage, Quick from Time Mage, or huge damage from Sword Dance.

...I just realized this party might have to do Omniscient, which would be...unpleasant.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I once did a Thief/Berzerker/Geomancer/Dancer run just to see how bad it would be.

I ended up having to grind to level 42-43 just so the Dancer could survive a single Almagest and still have enough HP to use an Elixir before HP leak killed her.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I would have a hard time coming up with a less fun party for a Normal run than Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon

The votes haven't been updated in a while though so hopefully it's better before it closes

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
If playing with Waddler or Balance patch it'd be a fun party.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
How's the Pixel Remaster? I've always played on the GBA, but if it's an upgrade (or at least maintains parity), I wouldn't mind switching platforms.

The iOS port was a strict downgrade in my opinion; it was never on the table.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

It is overall probably a slight downgrade from GBA for fiesta purposes. At least if you aim to triplecrown as much as possible.

The main points in favor of PR is 2 chicken knives by a glitch and being able to break rods from the inventory, meaning that mages can still keep their equipped rod and keep the boost.

Also the chicken knife interacts differently with some abilities. !Mug triggers the random escape, but !Aim and !Mineuchi don't anymore.

The big downsides are a lot of ways to fight Omega are nerfed. No more Quickleak, no more Calmlock. ATB isn't directly tied to agility any more so turn order is slightly randomized, which is a little strange 99.9% of the time but REALLY sucks fighting Omega. Bards can still lock Omega Down at least.

Also Almagest pierces shell, so you either have to kill it fast, hope for MEvade to save you, or grind to 1700HP.

While this is supposed to be a rerelease of the original version, the dummy targets NED had in the SNES and PSX versions are gone.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I have put my thumb on the scale.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

*sigh*

Someone pointed out that Apollo gave me the gift of prophecy:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It has more than 0 synergy. Equip Axe on the Geomancer and Thief is fantastic for most of the game. Artful Dodger speeds up the Berserker and Dragoon. The Thief can steal a Gaia Hammer early and can also get a Partisan early for the Dragoon. Since you have no real healing Thief will help a lot there as well to stock up on consumables.

I just played through and beat NeoExdeath with the party. This was with Waddlers patch, so it made some things a lot easier, but aside from Liquid Flame it really wasn't that bad. I didn't use the new Thief skills and mostly just brute forced my way through things with Equip Axe on everyone or !Gaia.

Considering that the runners aren't playing with the fiesta mod that means they'll have a freelancer up through Garula which is great. Hardest part will be all Berserker party through Liquid Flame.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Artful dodger and equip axe are pretty good but take hundreds of AP to grind out which will suck in a race setting

I actually am running the team right now to see what it would be like and I'm stuck at the crystals. I let the shield burn and tried to get by with the fire crystal healing me, but the fire crystal is the slowest of the 4 and eventually the air crystal will double tap you for 1000 and you can't do enough damage in time. So I'm guessing I have to take it out via doom axe which means I need to grind out equip axe so I can actually target it

Edit: Yep, selective doom axing eventually took down the air crystal... I'm now just into world 3 and things aren't getting any easier.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 4, 2022

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

It has more than 0 synergy. Equip Axe on the Geomancer and Thief is fantastic for most of the game. Artful Dodger speeds up the Berserker and Dragoon. The Thief can steal a Gaia Hammer early and can also get a Partisan early for the Dragoon. Since you have no real healing Thief will help a lot there as well to stock up on consumables.

I just played through and beat NeoExdeath with the party. This was with Waddlers patch, so it made some things a lot easier, but aside from Liquid Flame it really wasn't that bad. I didn't use the new Thief skills and mostly just brute forced my way through things with Equip Axe on everyone or !Gaia.

Considering that the runners aren't playing with the fiesta mod that means they'll have a freelancer up through Garula which is great. Hardest part will be all Berserker party through Liquid Flame.

When I wrote that I meant that team has nothing but artful dodger to slap on berserker, since !Gaia doesn't pass the magic stat, and goon is weaker in every way, so Berserker can only benefit from agility boost.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

FeyerbrandX posted:

When I wrote that I meant that team has nothing but artful dodger to slap on berserker, since !Gaia doesn't pass the magic stat, and goon is weaker in every way, so Berserker can only benefit from agility boost.

Artful Dodger is a top tier passive for Zerky, honestly. Up there with Equip Harps

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Artful Dodger is a top tier passive for Zerky, honestly. Up there with Equip Harps

Anything that gives Zerky Agility is top shelf. Dodger, Equip Harps, even Equip Bows. Anything that gives Magic is almost as good but only once you get your mitts on the Rune Axe or a Gaia Hammer; before that it's a dump stat because your only spell procs are non-damaging (Doom, Poison, Mute from Mage Mashers)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's worth noting, of course, that all the agility in the world does nothing to assist with their first turn slowness, as that's all weird ATB bugs and nothing to do with Agility.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

I have put my thumb on the scale.

Thank you for saving us from a terrible party.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
2017 and 2019 were both White, Berserker, Beastmaster, Dragoon.

And now we get White and Beastmaster again. 50% of the runs in the past 6 years had both of them. At least they have a freelancer and can break rods this time so that The Run doesn't take 12 loving hours to finish.

Watch us get Berserker and Dragoon next year because they won't have the previously used vote penalty. :negative:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

From what I'd heard The Run will be on the Pixel Remaster version, so while this team will be far more fun to watch than team "Just spamming fight, and !Gaia is here too" we'll have a ton of fun with NED ignoring Shell.

So here's some predictions I had a few days ago when the 1000 buck ballot stuffing happened:

1 - Remaster doesn't advance dialog boxes only on the confirm button input, but any button input. So I'm assuming we'll either hear a ton of keyboard clacks, or the runners will just be spnning their analog stick.

2 - I hope we get some rocket tag strats with !Catch/Release taking out all but 15k of Majesti. Because we're either going to have the runners grinding for exp, or abp.

3 - If the runners do grind for abp, there might be a visit to Phoenix Tower to bribe magic pots. The PR did away with the chance of needing to cast return if it doesn't flee on the first usegiving multiple elixirs, you just need one. Trip to phoenix tower might help get a dancer the rainbow dress too without having to fight 1-3 Alte Riotes fights. Runners might purge their game data if they do end up wanting the old man dress, as without the bestiary entry the first Alte Riote fight will die without turning into Jura Aevis.

4 - NED will get alpha striked with the 3 magic lamp castings, 4 Breath Wings, Holy and hopefully the 50% Sword Dance will take Majesti down before it shakes. Beastmaster will either have !Dance as a backup with the second chicken knife or Equip Ribbons if the runner is more concerned about dealing with Grand Cross.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

It is overall probably a slight downgrade from GBA for fiesta purposes. At least if you aim to triplecrown as much as possible.

The main points in favor of PR is 2 chicken knives by a glitch and being able to break rods from the inventory, meaning that mages can still keep their equipped rod and keep the boost.

Also the chicken knife interacts differently with some abilities. !Mug triggers the random escape, but !Aim and !Mineuchi don't anymore.

The big downsides are a lot of ways to fight Omega are nerfed. No more Quickleak, no more Calmlock. ATB isn't directly tied to agility any more so turn order is slightly randomized, which is a little strange 99.9% of the time but REALLY sucks fighting Omega. Bards can still lock Omega Down at least.

Also Almagest pierces shell, so you either have to kill it fast, hope for MEvade to save you, or grind to 1700HP.

While this is supposed to be a rerelease of the original version, the dummy targets NED had in the SNES and PSX versions are gone.

unless they fixed it since release, MP also refreshes on form changes so you can't effectively run liquid flame's tornado form out of mp

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I didn't know about the PR change with breaking rods. Just being able to do it from the inventory screen is great, but getting the boost as well? Should keep them relevant longer.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

I didn't know about the PR change with breaking rods. Just being able to do it from the inventory screen is great, but getting the boost as well? Should keep them relevant longer.

Just to clarify, you still have to be able to equip the thing you want to use as an item, so you can't just have dragoon break a rod or a knight use the masamune for a free haste.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Shyfted One posted:

They also don't do half damage from multi targeting, last I heard, which makes them better than Syldra and almost as powerful as boosted leviathan.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
I recall Matrix making Heavy enemies and players immune to Breath Wing, Blaze and Lightning. Is this the same on Pixel Remaster or does Breath Wing function like SNES/GBA?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CourtlyHades296 posted:

I recall Matrix making Heavy enemies and players immune to Breath Wing, Blaze and Lightning. Is this the same on Pixel Remaster or does Breath Wing function like SNES/GBA?

Those attacks work properly. You can kill W2 Exdeath with 4 yellow dragons.

Oh yeah there is one other gently caress you however: Death By Math was nerfed. L2 Old does check for old immunity.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I should force myself to play a run with Beastmaster where I go all in on !Catch. I think why I don't like Beastmaster that much is that I feel like I need to learn so much about where to go to catch what for each situation and sometimes the team composition sucks at doing just enough damage to be able to capture (at least before you get the gourd). Chemist kinda annoys me the same way, but I've gotten better with quickly being able to remember what I need to do, so it bugs me less. Conversely, for whatever reason, Blue Mage and death by Math I find very very fun. I love to cast Lvl 2 Old (with a Dark Spark or 2) and then start spamming lvl 5 Death and hoping for a hit.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Thank you for saving us from a terrible party.
I was :f5: near the end there because RK wasn't saying anything. Not even "last day" or "last X hours" or "I'll process donation votes when I get a chance".

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I feel like chemist bothers me less because the only thing you ever really need to grind is turtle shells and that’s both pretty easy and will last you a while if you’re not solely relying on mix. I find I stop using catch as soon as I have anything pretty decent because I hate stopping to backtrack to get catches.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Backtracking for catches has never really bothered me. There's usually always a pretty strong monster pretty close by, and it's not a solution you use for literally every boss fight, just the tricky ones.

Though honestly, I think most people are gonna prefer Chemist because at this point you're comparing the arguably best class in the game to a situationally good damage dealer.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Did anyone else notice that the players list currently doesn't list Team 375 players at all?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I, and many other 375 players, are on the list?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maigius posted:

Did anyone else notice that the players list currently doesn't list Team 375 players at all?

If it wasn't it's now fixed.

I do see 29 unfun morons on the list as well.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

I do see 29 unfun morons on the list as well.

At first I thought you were referring to Team 375 players, then checked the list and realized there are 29 Natural players tallied.

In case reiterating it here helps anyone: Don't. Play. Natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

zzMisc posted:

In case reiterating it here helps anyone: Don't. Play. Natural.
:emptyquote: