Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Imaginary Friend posted:

Is there a general plan for what will happen with all the weapons after the war? Will every Ukrainian farmer with a tractor have their own missile system in their backyard?

New advances in ballistic farming technology mean we can now plough and plant a square kilometer of land in about 5 minutes, and from up to 20 miles away! No need to leave your farmyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

Are you doing a bit

Yes, i was making a joke on my illiteracy by further confusing Hegel and Gogol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine will be a worse capitalist hellscape post war when the Odessa Mafia has a missile destroyer under their control

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

With all the artillery playing a huge role I wondered how counter battery works. How do you know where these shells are fired from?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Arson at headquarters of Rosgvardia, Russia’s national guard, in Komsomolsk-on-Amur (far east).
https://twitter.com/doxa_journal/status/1532994064466984960

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

With all the artillery playing a huge role I wondered how counter battery works. How do you know where these shells are fired from?

Usually radar

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

LochNessMonster posted:

You have short-wavelength radars scanning for shells, connected to dedicated ballistic computers that use the radar track of the incoming shell to back-calculate the firing point. This is then fed to your own artillery automatically, which then fire at the original launch point.

As you can see, this can take literally seconds. Hence the need to "shoot and scoot" in very short windows of time. Bullshit numbers follow:.

If you fire a rocket from 20km away from a ready counter battery unit, say it takes 60 seconds until you get a solution, and 60 seconds to dial the location in and fire. At 1000m/s shell velocity, the round will have a time on target of 20 seconds.

So about 140 seconds after they fire, you start dropping rounds on them. And you know where they are!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

LochNessMonster posted:

Radar and trajectory calculations. It's an intricate thing. Worth a dive that is more extensive than SA posting can be

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Chalks posted:

Usually radar
What about before radar? Say, in the first World War?

The sound ranging and flash spotting sections were part of field survey units and used
to locate enemy units. A typical observation group had four survey posts that covered
a corps frontage and were situated according to the terrain to be able to spot the
muzzle flashes of enemy guns. Survey posts were coordinated at group headquarters
by a flash and sound buzzer board that ensured that posts were oriented on the same
flash.

Complementing flash spotting were sound ranging sections, which consisted of six
microphones positioned in an arc between 7000 and 9000 yards in length and about
3000 yards behind the line. The microphones were attuned to the low frequency report
of a gun sound wave, with an effective range of about 12,000 yards. The time
difference of the report reaching each microphone was correlated at the section
headquarters and the gun location plotted. Sound ranging could determine the calibre
of the enemy gun and its target, which was useful for collating hostile battery
information.

By 1917, the sound ranging apparatus was also used with calibration screens to
determine muzzle velocity, droop and jump of artillery which increased accuracy

https://www.artilleryhistory.org/history_seminar_series/seminar_no_11_november_2018/seminar_11_documents/seminar_11_speaker_1_notes.pdf

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Imaginary Friend posted:

Is there a general plan for what will happen with all the weapons after the war? Will every Ukrainian farmer with a tractor have their own missile system in their backyard?
There was an article on this just now https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/02/ukraine-weapons-end-up-criminal-hands-says-interpol-chief-jurgen-stock

quote:

“Once the guns fall silent [in Ukraine], the illegal weapons will come. We know this from many other theatres of conflict. The criminals are even now, as we speak, focusing on them,” Stock said.
I guess the extent of this will depend on how chaotic the situation turns out to be at that point, but I think it's unavoidable to some degree. There will be a lot of people out of a livelihood and many weapon stockpiles around, possibly not all solidly accounted for.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Drones most of the time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Drones most of the time.

Drones are only good for counter battery if you are already in position to see it, and Ukraine's been provided with counter battery radars.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Drones are only good for counter battery if you are already in position to see it, and Ukraine's been provided with counter battery radars.

Drones are great for counter battery if you send them to where your radar contact came from so you can pass target coordinates to wherever they displace to after firing. Shells have to get there before they move out of the way of the impact, drones only have to get there before they move out of sight.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Why We Fight

The largest Orthodox wooden church in Ukraine is burning – the Wooden All Saints Skete was attacked by Ukrainian militants…

Why? Because it is a Moscow, Russia Orthodox Church…

Ukraine shelled it. Why? Because they are Nazi…

This is why Ukraine will never get the lands back. Ever never and they keep this stuff up. They will loose the whole country…

https://windowstorussia.com/wooden-...in-ukraine.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Must be another day that ends with a Y.

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1533040940033748993

the popes toes posted:

Why We Fight

The largest Orthodox wooden church in Ukraine is burning – the Wooden All Saints Skete was attacked by Ukrainian militants…

This is why Ukraine will never get the lands back. Ever never and they keep this stuff up. They will loose the whole country…

https://twitter.com/hromadske/status/1533049676924166145

Not the first time it would’ve been shelled by Russia this week either - https://news.yahoo.com/three-monks-killed-russian-shelling-122500710.html

Burns
May 10, 2008

the popes toes posted:

Why We Fight

Scorched earth Baby.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I don't get who this kind of "journalism" is for? I doubt many Americans are up on the nuance of whether or not Crimea is part of Russia. So, I guess this is to try to get people to be mad that Ukraine will attack "Russia," and beg the question about Crimea's status. On the other hand, I would think that most Americans' reactions to being told that Ukraine is on the counter attack into Russia using American weapons would be to say "good." Maybe this is more of the strategy to produce voluminous amounts of propaganda and wear people out with fake complexity?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/apmassaro3/status/1532491950250766336

I seriously wonder how these lunatics plan on accomplishing this?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
ik edit: :nms:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1166995970805936

A claimed Russian helicopter shot down mid air, quality is dogshit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 4, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FishBulbia posted:

If majority russian areas that weren't historically russian as of the 15th century don't count as Russia I have bad news for North America

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

"We must not humiliate Russia so that the day when the fighting stops we can build an exit ramp through diplomatic means," Macron said in an interview to regional newspapers published on Saturday.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-must-not-be-humiliated-despite-putins-historic-mistake-macron-2022-06-04/

I concur that front-line Ukrainian taunting of Russia by humiliating return fire will harm regional stability because it will make Mr. Putin sad.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If majority russian areas that weren't historically russian as of the 15th century don't count as Russia I have bad news for North America

Also like, the area of Leningrad oblast belonged to Sweden.. another empire. Are we returning it to the Swedes? Or telling Petersburgers that they are now actually liberated Novgorodians? It's like Paris must end its imperial occupation of the Vandee. I don't know what the balkanization fetish is about but its about as counter productive of an argument you can make.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 4, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's just dumb trolling that mirrors similar Russian maps of Ukraine. Hardly something to overanalyse.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

Also like, the area of Leningrad oblast belonged to Sweden.. another empire. Are we returning it to the Swedes? Or telling Petersburgers that they are now actually liberated Novgorodians? It's like Paris must end its imperial occupation of the Vandee. I don't know what the balkanization fetish is about but its about as counter productive of an argument you can make.

That guy ends up on my Twitter feed through retweets etcetera every now and then, and he seems to have a real hard-on for balkanisation of Russia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine is embarrassing Russia and that's just horrible

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

Also like, the area of Leningrad oblast belonged to Sweden.. another empire. Are we returning it to the Swedes? Or telling Petersburgers that they are now actually liberated Novgorodians? Paris must end its imperial occupation of the Vandee.
Yes and let's not forget all the stolen Finnish lands.

Also lol RT is actually blocked here but I can see their lovely tweet if it's embedded.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:nms: precision fire of some kind on Russian mechanised forces.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1533103853620576256

So, what’s going on here? Switchblades? Excaliburs?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Paladinus posted:

It's just dumb trolling that mirrors similar Russian maps of Ukraine. Hardly something to overanalyse.

It's as lunacy as those maps of Ukraine with the "Russian gifts" of land. In general I don't approve of redrawing any borders.

Even if it meant in jest it's counterproductive. The correct response to the Nuremberg laws isn't joking about passing such laws against Germans. There is little more you could do to directly strengthen the regime than agree with them that this should be an existential conflict for their very existence.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
In the replies...
https://twitter.com/DecodingTrolls/status/1532655941652467713

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hmmyes:

fake-edit: thread moving fast

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FishBulbia posted:

There is a substantial amount of land that, were the world actually just, ought to be returned to Finland; and Kaliningrad should be given to Poland in accordance with the (or at least in the spirit of) the final disposition of the German/Polish border established with the German-Polish Border Treaty of 1990.

I am also a huge fan of self-determination of peoples, and there were a lot of formerly independent countries absorbed by the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union. In practice those places should be allowed to decide for themselves in a binding way whether or not they want to remain part of the Russian Federation; unfortunately, none of this will ever happen.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nms: precision fire of some kind on Russian mechanised forces.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1533103853620576256

So, what’s going on here? Switchblades? Excaliburs?

Certainly looks like something guided, but also the footage is all edited very precisely to make sure you can't see any incoming projectile/munition

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 4, 2022

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Certainly looks like something guided, but also the footage is all edited very precisely to make sure you can't see any incoming projectile/munition

Probably just 120 mm mortars and editing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The video is edited to show hits. You can see after one of the cuts, blast damage from artillery rounds hitting on the road, but not directly hitting a BTR. A warmed up howitzer with good coordinates and fire correction can land within 20 feet or so of point of aim, which is plenty close enough to do bad things, and with enough rounds, score a hit on target vs next to.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

other than chechnya do any of those areas even have anything resembling an independence movement? not a few crazies here and there but any sort of movement at all?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Herstory Begins Now posted:

At least one of those tanks looked like it was pretty well closed in - enough that it would need a very high arc trajectory (unless it was coming from a perfect direction) so I suspect at least one switchblade... maybe used in combination with artillery as a spotter drone before it was committed....?

edit: ...or maybe not.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Probably just 120 mm mortars and editing

Yeah, it's really difficult to tell with these heavily edited videos. For what it's worth, the twitter account that posted it speculates about it being guided, and in the replies someone claims to be from the unit that did it and it was just mortars. Not that this is conclusive in the slightest.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

other than chechnya do any of those areas even have anything resembling an independence movement? not a few crazies here and there but any sort of movement at all?
Tatarstan voted for independence in the 90s (massed Russian troops at its border made that moot), but I don't know what the attitudes are these days. In general there has been too much genocide and settler colonialism for it to be viable, yes.

(Though Petersburg would totally vote to join Sweden and Kaliningrad Germany).

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Cable Guy posted:

At least one of those tanks looked like it was pretty well closed in - enough that it would need a very high arc trajectory (unless it was coming from a perfect direction) so I suspect at least one switchblade... maybe used in combination with artillery as a spotter drone before it was committed....?

edit: ...or maybe not.

mortars are plunging fire

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
In THEORY, I might agree that pointless humiliation for the sake of humiliation isn't helpful and isn't worth making eventual peace negotiations more difficult. But in practice, Macron needs to answer a simple question: What, exactly, counts as "humiliating" Russia? Because there's a whole lot of ways to define that term! Is curbstomping their armies in the field "humiliating"? Is being forced to evacuate the Donbass "humiliating"? Are reparations "humiliating"? Is calling Putin a crybaby stupid little poopypants with a poo poo army "humiliating"? Is forcing Putin to attend peace negotiations wearing a dunce cap "humiliating"?

Unless he explains what, exactly, counts as humiliation and needs to be avoided one can interpret his statement as either bland obviousness (don't do stupid pointless things) or a call for Ukrainian capitulation (Ukraine isn't allow to fully win). Until then this feels like pointless hot air for the sake of projecting a statesmanlike air of reasonableness, which does seem to be up Macron's alley. Are there any French goons here who know how the French public is taking those statements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mlmp08 posted:

The video is edited to show hits. You can see after one of the cuts, blast damage from artillery rounds hitting on the road, but not directly hitting a BTR. A warmed up howitzer with good coordinates and fire correction can land within 20 feet or so of point of aim, which is plenty close enough to do bad things, and with enough rounds, score a hit on target vs next to.

the amount of collateral damage relative to number of hits is very unusually low, but i certainly don't claim to know what was used