Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leaf miners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
That site didn’t mention the squish method, which is my favorite.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Ahhh thank you! I’ve never dealt with them before. Sprayed everything with neem this morning.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

PokeJoe posted:

I'm gonna get one and presumably kill it

I love to hear it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got a net, I've got shiny things, and the owl that doesn't work. I've lost 2 tomatoes, 4 broccolis, and something ate all of the leaves off my peppers. I hope a crow gets stuck in the net and chokes.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My fake dead crow is working, so you could try that.

I doubt they believe it’s a real crow but they’ve stayed away so that’s a win!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
you need to kill and eat a crow in front of them op

it’s the only way now

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
There’s probably a more appropriate thread for this but since I saw it in the garden I’m asking here. Can anyone identify this moth?

Closest I can find is a underwing moth but this one seems to lack the brown top wings I see in all the pictures of those. But maybe they’re just folded? This is in northern New Jersey.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am nervous and excited. I finally went back to a gardener/landscaper I'd talked to last fall, and he had people ready to go. So I had a talk with him, and he pretty much removed all the vegetation in the back yard. The back yard was set up for a vacation house: plants that would look reasonably pretty year-round without much care. Unfortunately, many of them are extremely flammable, and all of them are dull.

I hate rockroses (aka Cistus sp.)

There were also enormous flammable hedges of something flowering and yellow, an enormous flammable hedge of rosemary, two trees without virtues, and something whose name I forget that had been protected by hoops of cattle wire, through which it put out branches for the deer to nibble. (I had been cutting out the cattle wire with boltcutters, but it was slow and painful going.) Down to the ground and out to the chipper. That was phase 1. Phase 2 is going to be the designer coming over, looking at the roots, deciding how far he can dig them down, and starting to plan out what the actual beds are. I was unhappy that he was driving the bus more than I wanted. I said desperately that I wanted to choose my own plants, then I wrote him a long email saying "Look, I know that it's safer to grow what other people in the area grow, but I love rare and unusual plants and I'm willing to take the risk of their not thriving." He wrote back saying "Oh, I didn't realize this was a passion for you. I feel the same way, but most of my customers don't want to spend money on plants and then have to replace them." So I think we have a meeting of minds.

I don't have the knees or the stamina to do this myself any more, and neither does my husband. With beds laid out and the big plants put in, I'll be free to noodle around and put in plants that appeal. Much of the space in the back yard is taken up by the leach field for the septic tank, and I need to keep things shallow-rooted there. I'm planning for a mix of creeping herbs. Roman chamomile, Corsican mint (to be babied), a variety of creeping thymes, and other plants that smell nice when you walk on them. It's going to be a low-traffic area, and I also plan to put in a small breeze block path with thymes growing through it. On the side will be the raised beds and a couple of rose pillars in front of the water tank.

Where one of the trees went I'm putting in a plum (variety to be determined), which thrive here. In a relatively sheltered place -- the wind blows straight off the sea onto my garden -- a self-fertile Cox's Orange Pippin apple. Other plants TBD; if it's in my garden, it's at least one of white, blue, silver, scented, or edible. This is going to be fun. The trickiest part will be protecting the things that need to go in now from the deer until August, when the fence guy will be available. My plan is on caging the trees and any shrubs, and planting mostly annuals.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

z0331 posted:

There’s probably a more appropriate thread for this but since I saw it in the garden I’m asking here. Can anyone identify this moth?

Closest I can find is a underwing moth but this one seems to lack the brown top wings I see in all the pictures of those. But maybe they’re just folded? This is in northern New Jersey.

That looks like a type of skipper butterfly to me. Zabulon skipper maybe?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
My poor tomato has some malformed leaves up high, but I lower leaves are looking a bit diseased. Ideas?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

sexy tiger boobs posted:

That looks like a type of skipper butterfly to me. Zabulon skipper maybe?

It’s definitely a skipper. Thanks! Somehow my scientific googling for “orange and brown moth” wasn’t coming up with that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Aphids make me feel like I have a murderer inside of me somewhere. I actually get happy when I turn over a leaf and there's a whole little aphid family there, not even flinching as I crush a whole generation under my thumb.

This is what I do for tomatoes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Crappy cellphone photos ahead.

Before.

After.

I am both terrified by the current look and overjoyed to have the scope to improve. All those shrubs are full of deadwood and a very bad choice for fire country. I'm going to put in varied-height plantings all over the place (yes, even in fire country, I admit the fault), a mix of edibles*, fragrant plants, some natives, and a lot of blue and white flowers. First, though, grind all those stumps, bring in good soil, add appropriate mycorrhizae, and lay out beds appropriate to the steep slope of the property.

* no, not that kind

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Chad Sexington posted:

Aphids make me feel like I have a murderer inside of me somewhere. I actually get happy when I turn over a leaf and there's a whole little aphid family there, not even flinching as I crush a whole generation under my thumb.

This is what I do for tomatoes.

It's what they deserve.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Impulse bought some seed potatoes earlier in the year and every single one of them that went in the ground is growing like crazy. A bunch are flowering:

Also have a shitload of volunteer Japanese sweet potatoes (satsumaimo, the kind used in yakiimo, not the purple Okinawan sweet potatoes) from last year. Word of warning to anyone planting them: they regrow back from tiiiiiiny loving pieces of root. Like mattock'd-up shreds of root thinner than a pencil and less than an inch long producing multiple slips.

That guy grew from a wee scrap of root that I dug out from under the eggplants and transplanted (a couple weeks ago) into the grow bag you see it in now.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
is there an "authoritative" source on tomato plant growing? I'd like to follow the methods of one grower/system instead of mixing and matching techniques from different growers

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'm trying to grow dill again this summer! I've been trying since April, actually, but the weather has not cooperated, and when it has, something seems to be eating the seeds and sprouts. (We've got multiple bird nests this year and I suspect some of them.)

Anyway! After 4 days of sun and 4 days of unrelenting rainfall, I finally got some uneaten sprouts this week. I also got a nice batch of inky cap mushrooms (coprinellus setulosi per an ID website). Makes me think I should try to grow edible mushrooms instead of herbs.

They look so pretty that I don't mind leaving them, but will they impact my dill in a negative way? (I know not to eat the mushrooms.)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I'm remembering why my tomatoes were a mess last year. I get way too sentimental about pruning well-developed branches and suckers that have already put out flowers. Trying to be ruthless, but I am terrible at that.

effika posted:

I'm trying to grow dill again this summer! I've been trying since April, actually, but the weather has not cooperated, and when it has, something seems to be eating the seeds and sprouts. (We've got multiple bird nests this year and I suspect some of them.)

Anyway! After 4 days of sun and 4 days of unrelenting rainfall, I finally got some uneaten sprouts this week. I also got a nice batch of inky cap mushrooms (coprinellus setulosi per an ID website). Makes me think I should try to grow edible mushrooms instead of herbs.

They look so pretty that I don't mind leaving them, but will they impact my dill in a negative way? (I know not to eat the mushrooms.)

It's definitely an inkcap but there are a bunch of different varieties. I get pleated ones all the time. Usually they fruit overnight and into the morning and then are gone by the afternoon. Totally harmless and usually a good sign that your organic matter is being broken down.

Some people swear that if the black goo they turn into interacts with their plants that it inhibits growth, but I've never found that to be true.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

effika posted:

Since you're growing them in a bucket, put netting across the bucket. It doesn't have to be "bird netting"; a piece of hardware cloth secured down would do nicely, or some window screen.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm remembering why my tomatoes were a mess last year. I get way too sentimental about pruning well-developed branches and suckers that have already put out flowers. Trying to be ruthless, but I am terrible at that.

I have that problem too. This summer I’ve been pruning off the large suckers and rooting them in water. I figure if I can’t find a spot for them I can give them away to neighbors. Maybe I will keep them in pots and play around with optimal shade locations for the heat of the summer. It’s totally normal to have a huge tomato plant on a cart, right?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Joburg posted:

I have that problem too. This summer I’ve been pruning off the large suckers and rooting them in water. I figure if I can’t find a spot for them I can give them away to neighbors. Maybe I will keep them in pots and play around with optimal shade locations for the heat of the summer. It’s totally normal to have a huge tomato plant on a cart, right?

Yes. I hear it’s also totally normal to have a bunch of peppers around them on the cart too.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m going to need a bigger cart.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bergeoisie posted:

And for folks in the PNW, they also carry a bunch of citrus that they've bred to be hardy to zone 8b. They were super helpful picking stuff out in person. Highly recommend stopping by if anyone is ever in the area.

I've ordered from them twice now and each time the plants were perfectly packed, shipped very quickly and arrived in great condition. Already have three of these citrus plants, and I'm looking to add 2-3 more.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've noticed some clover hitchhikers in both the blueberry bushes I ordered from Home Depot; the ones at the base of the Silver Dollar blueberry bush are starting to flourish.

Do I need to purge these Alabama fucks? Or will it be okay since both these bushes came in 2.5 gallon pots?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What's eating my zucchini plant? We don't really get rabbits or deer around here, could it be squirrels, or even my dog?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

effika posted:

I can't say for sure, but I will say that if these guys are harmful then I've never noticed. My beds end up absolutely crawling with them on some mornings, to the point that there are probably hundreds in a single 8x4 raised bed. I'm guessing it's the result of the completely raw wood chips that I use in my paths.

Anyway my plants always grow super well and I've never noticed any problems in the beds where they sprout up. Sometimes I pull them out because they get in the way of weeding (plus they can go in the compost).

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Mikey Purp posted:

What's eating my zucchini plant? We don't really get rabbits or deer around here, could it be squirrels, or even my dog?

Last year groundhogs ate EVERYTHING in one of my beds. :argh:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

I can't say for sure, but I will say that if these guys are harmful then I've never noticed. My beds end up absolutely crawling with them on some mornings, to the point that there are probably hundreds in a single 8x4 raised bed. I'm guessing it's the result of the completely raw wood chips that I use in my paths.

looked them up and

quote:

The flesh is thin and the taste mild. It can be eaten but is poisonous when consumed with alcohol – hence another common name, tippler's bane.

cool

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

About a month ago we had surprise pea-size hail (surprise as in first time in May in at least 17 years and never like this) and it shredded a bunch of leaves on various semi-recently plants, including tomatoes, cucumber, eggplant, an okra plant, and peppers. The tomatoes laughed it off and the peppers have been 50/50 on recovery, but the rest seem like they're really crapping out early. Is this because I didn't cut off the damaged leaves and the plant is... confused or something? At the time I left the damaged leaves on because there wasn't much else - the recovered ones had sufficient other leaves and kept growing in spite of the damage (and are now somewhat absurd). Some of the plants are in a hydroponic system so I'm used to much more aggressive growth and the stalling out is confusing.

Related, do some plants stunt the growth of others if planted within some nearby range of each other? One cucumber is sitting in tomato town.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zachack posted:

Related, do some plants stunt the growth of others if planted within some nearby range of each other? One cucumber is sitting in tomato town.

They can. It’s called “allelopathy”, and the classic example is walnuts.

It’s generally considered rare but is understudied.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's our rotating compost, it's not very big, we'll have to see if it suffices

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Drove up to visit my mom for the evening and got to see how my garden is going (she's been taking care of it).

The vincas (above the orange zinnias) seem like they were a failed experiment. Maybe not getting enough sunlight? Maybe the cooler than usual spring? Whatever the reason they don't seem to have done well at all.

On the other hand the mystery bulbs and the snapdragons seem to be doing well.

I might see if I can get some plants and plant some stuff here at my brother's place. I'll be here at least for the entire summer, so I could remain active with gardening until we get a new house built, since the drive is too far for me to keep up with the one back home.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Well, hell. I need a place to store my gardening tools that isn't exposed to the salt air. I have no space inside the house. I had, until a week ago, a decade-old Rubbermaid box, about a 2 feet cube, with a hinged lid that clamped down with a bail. It had all my small tools, my seeds, and flotsam. The clasp just broke in a not-repairable way. I cannot find a search term that gives me an air-tight outdoor storage box. The closest I can find is "deck boxes", which tend to have open handles and be too large. The only semi-suitable thing I could find in the hardware store was construction yellow and black.

Can anybody suggest the search term I'm missing, or suggest a box?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, hell. I need a place to store my gardening tools that isn't exposed to the salt air. I have no space inside the house. I had, until a week ago, a decade-old Rubbermaid box, about a 2 feet cube, with a hinged lid that clamped down with a bail. It had all my small tools, my seeds, and flotsam. The clasp just broke in a not-repairable way. I cannot find a search term that gives me an air-tight outdoor storage box. The closest I can find is "deck boxes", which tend to have open handles and be too large. The only semi-suitable thing I could find in the hardware store was construction yellow and black.

Try searching for a deck box. There’s a bunch out there in greys and browns and less bright colors.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are a couple Rubbermaid product lines that sound kinda like what you had. "Roughneck" is the consumer/home version, and the super rugged commercial version is the "Brute".

Those are generic storage totes in various form factors.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If we are just talking hand tools get a 5 gallon bucket and food storage lid.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I use an old cooler. It isn't great at UV resistance but it is a nice tight closure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SubG posted:

There are a couple Rubbermaid product lines that sound kinda like what you had. "Roughneck" is the consumer/home version, and the super rugged commercial version is the "Brute".
That was the magic key I was looking for, thank you. This thing is going to have to be visible in the garden, because there is no exterior storage space at all, and the old one at least blended in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Three sisters setup with sunflowers instead of corn seems to be going well. Pole beans have grabbed the sunflowers and are currently climbing. Seminole pumpkins haven't exploded yet but I'm sure will be giving me ground cover soon.

Mostly I'm just pleased with the sunflowers. My biggest mammoth sunflower is 8.5 feet tall and still growing. And this evening sun variety is a show-stopper.

Will deffo be curious what kind of bird action I see though once the flowers put out seeds.