Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had to go back and check:
There is a second beaker tripped there. I'm impressed. :toot:

Also get hosed Stuart, you would have written up Cooper if you learned he flipped the switch to get the fans back on and forbidden him if he had been stupid enough to ask permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Maybe he’ll match his gender inequality arc by making this ultimately about old white guys again.

Yeah. Maybe.

A quick phone call from Al Gore should settle this one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Throwing this in just because:

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

who's holding the phone

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

If Les and his living wife are at the mall and show up to help them so help me...

It'll somehow turn into Les whining about how hard it is for him to live with a Black woman who suffers from racial discrimination, or something equally clueless.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

What the hell is happening here?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Presto posted:

The dog got into the leopard skin storage closet.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Leona Seems Alright

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

....faaaaaaaaaarrrrtttt....

Also, I'm gonna be on vacation until next Friday if anyone wants to take on posting in my absence, otherwise, I'm fine making catchup posts.

Bonus F Minus that made me laugh:

Anyone posting F Minus these days? If not, I will take it up when I get back.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Presto posted:

Pressure cooker filled with chili exploded, covering Andy, getting some on dad, and presumably covering the kitchen.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

Bonus F Minus that made me laugh:

Anyone posting F Minus these days? If not, I will take it up when I get back.

Yeah, Murdstone does. Including this one earier today! They also post Rex Morgan, Phantom, and New Mark Trail, so I guess I get it if you blocked them or something

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Q-Rais Talks to Himself

End chapter 2!

Night Visitors

This is a popular snack called (basically) "pointy corn".

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Julet Esqu posted:

Yeah, Murdstone does. Including this one earier today! They also post Rex Morgan, Phantom, and New Mark Trail, so I guess I get it if you blocked them or something

Well that's what I get for skimming.

Have a bonus F Minus that is the only thing I've ever used GoComics' "save this strip" feature for:

Vargo fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 4, 2022

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

My Lovely Horse posted:

who's holding the phone
I'm imagining it'll turn out like this old reddit post.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

I like restaurants with pictures of their notable patrons on the wall. No restaurant has ever put me on the wall but I’m not sure I’d want to be if the picture wasn’t black & white with me in huge horn rims with a massive ‘tache.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

There seems to be about 0% chance that this Bobbins date will go well but I'm still holding hope; don't want the characters to be sad :ohdear:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

This one made me tear up a little bit.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (May 11-12, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 30, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 21-22, 1991)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "256 - Jucika In The Library"

"csendet kérünk! = quiet please!"

"257 - Jucika's Going To A Ball"

"Jelmez kötelező = Costume is mandatory"

---

I wish Blind Alley would actually do more Tell, Don't Show instead of this awkward Show, Forever, And Never Tell that was kind of interesting dozens of strips ago but I could swear that's the third identical foreshadowing strip of a kid dreaming about something sad, to go with the ten strips that the birds are robots and gasp what's this HARD PERSPECTIVE CHANGE.

It's not Phantom levels of bad but for goodness sake you've got the set-up down pat, now do something!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hempuli posted:

There seems to be about 0% chance that this Bobbins date will go well but I'm still holding hope; don't want the characters to be sad :ohdear:

At least for Ryan it all works out in the end...

I mean aside from that time he died...

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

howe_sam posted:

At least for Ryan it all works out in the end...

I mean aside from that time he died...

I think you're thinking of Eustace "The Boy" Boyce. He died, went to hell with Erin, then they both came back in New Bobbins.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

I feel like there's being mysterious, and then there's this. I wish something would actually happen.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I think this Bobbins run takes place *before* Scary-Go-Round, so... it does all work out for Ryan in the end.

It's just going to take another seven years of sometimes questionably-drawn comics for us to get there.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EasyEW posted:

Don't You Do It, TomBat
My prediction for the plot on this; "Yeah racism is bad, but what if cancer?"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

somepartsareme posted:

Did his ICE arc end with them calling Bill Clinton to stop the deportation, and then sitting down for laughs and pizza with the ICE agents, or did I hallucinate that

You did not imagine it. It’s so real and so crazy bad I saved a bunch of the strips in my phone. Mostly because Baituk’s Bill Clinton is terrible, like, hilariously badly drawn.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

somepartsareme posted:

Batiuk is definitely about to do a racial prejudice arc with the third and fourth black characters I've ever seen in his work, who were both seemingly introduced about a week ago
Well, both characters have been in the strip for 6 or 7 years. It's just that Batiuk finally gave a name (Malcolm) to the middle-aged looking male teenager

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (March 9-11, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (May 26-28, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Post-Election Hangover (March 9, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 12-14, 1936)

Blondie From Zero (April 4-6, 1932)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Other posted:

I think you're thinking of Eustace "The Boy" Boyce. He died, went to hell with Erin, then they both came back in New Bobbins.

I'm thinking of that time in SGR when Ryan gets "killed" by Eisegesis so he can see his murdered French girlfriend again. Only she's turned into a skellington which Ryan isn't into at all. So more of a Flatliners experience than a true death, but close enough.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: You can't tell in my scans, but in the colour version, you see that both ol' Jim and Red are now completely white-haired. It really pushes home the point that they are now very old men, or Gamers rise up, or This is almost certainly an allusion to the Trail of Tears genocide under President Andrew Jackson, but of course there were many other forced relocations besides from that. I couldn't go into all the details that such a subject deserves, but as a brief, it was just one of the many, many imperialistic outrages that the U.S. has unleashed upon the world

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

gleebster posted:

Well, both characters have been in the strip for 6 or 7 years. It's just that Batiuk finally gave a name (Malcolm) to the middle-aged looking male teenager

I thought there might be a possibility this was the case, I just couldnt remember seeing them in the like 3 years I've been reading this thread

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The dog is large and wants to gently caress his owner's wife.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

This is a popular snack called (basically) "pointy corn".

We have this in America too, we call them Bugles.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 28, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 5, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So, I'm having some problems getting this strip. There's a part of the population that's legally entitled to eat another part of the population and everyone is okay with this arrangement?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You're already putting more thought into this than Holbrook has or ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

I wish Blind Alley would actually do more Tell, Don't Show instead of this awkward Show, Forever, And Never Tell that was kind of interesting dozens of strips ago but I could swear that's the third identical foreshadowing strip of a kid dreaming about something sad, to go with the ten strips that the birds are robots and gasp what's this HARD PERSPECTIVE CHANGE.
That's not showing or telling. "Show, don't tell" means that instead of, for example, saying in narration that two characters are friends, you just have them interact in a way that makes it obvious. It doesn't mean you don't convey the information, it just means to use the story to explain the setting and characters to the reader rather than infodumping.