Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
e. too slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

:actually:

The chess board is sideways -- each player should have a light square on the near right corner.

If they're in the northern hemisphere, the sun goes the other way.

Ooh, lookit Encyclopedia Brown over heah.

Seriously, those would both make better mysteries than what EB comes up with.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Doomykins posted:

quote:

$21 in 1938 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $430.59 today

What the hell is Moonraker borrowing this money for

apparently brand-new cutting-edge full-featured bicycles back then were as much as thirty dollars, so presumably all of the stuff he keeps buying (it was quite the pile) add up even if he's buying used/inexpensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sy0WFVhbZk

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

invincible comics

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oh It's...Feminism? And A Mistaken Identity Romance Goof Thing? Together? Okay, I Guess? Why Though?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
few pages late, but I liked Funny Online Animals shortly after its early strips, it wavered in quality since then but consistently looked pretty good, but I think everything past that multi-week creepy horror story arc that ended in the ||mouse and cat/spy vs. spy joke|| (which I loved) has basically just been terrible.

Speaking of terrible,

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales May 19, 1925

The '20s Were Pretty Rough

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

I was going to post here to say something along the lines of "Don't they mean Benjamin Button?", until I remembered that in the Portrait of Dorian Gray the painting aged and corroded instead of Dorian, so this still works. :shrug:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Doomykins posted:

What the hell is Moonraker borrowing this money for

He has to pay Jaws to steal Moonraker 5 off the British government when one of his own shuttles develops a fault which cannot be remediated within the timetable of his master plan.

Edit: dammit, missed a page

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 4, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (March 6-8, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (May 22-24, 1919)

Dok's "You Broke My Ethnic Signifier, You Jerk!" Duck (March 8, 1914)

Will our mystery reference sign in, please...

Little Lefty (October 8-11, 1936)

Meanwhile, Black Legion Lou has apparently taken the vows. (The Banker and Butler took this Sunday off.)

And meanwhile meanwhile, Blondie From Zero is Blondie back to zero, thanks to a potential mother-in-law with a whim of iron. (March 31-April 2, 1932)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 7, 1919

And He Did! June 19, 1919

Cat Tales May 20, 1925

Oaky Doaks November 16, 1936

Mopsy January 25, 1938

Up Front May 23, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 6, 1952

Those Were the Days January 12, 1961

Wee Pals August 9, 1966

Dogbert May 18, 1967

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, here it's pork belly rather than cured bacon as such. Mostly I went with "bacon" so it would fit better in Q-Rais' extremely narrow speech bubbles.

Just want to chime in to mention that making anything fit inside the speech bubbles is a ludicrously important aspect of translating comics compared to anything else. I don't like using bigger words, and sometimes I add smaller words to prevent too much obviously white space from appearing in a panel next to the bigger ones. It's all very silly. It's also not something you'd ever notice if I didn't explicitly tell you. By contrast, the whole paladin thing required wordplay that obviously couldn't translated into English directly. In Korean that word could be read as "sex engineer" in addition to many other interpretations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's new adventure of Blueberry: Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind? Charlier says 'no'!, or Jim McClure, with the old-school hustle and grind mindset, with just as much success!, or gee, can YOU guess who McClure was thrown into?!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales May 20, 1925

Cat's ghost riding the whip back in the 20s?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

The dog, you see, is large and needs to pay more attention to energy conservation.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 27, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

It's the no school, kid.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 05, 1951)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

Ramp >
-Here I've got one that stings pretty badly.

Ajo = Drive
Silta = Bridge
(not sure what kind of ramp would have such a massive sign, but whatever)

Ajos = Abscess ("a collection of pus that has built up within the tissue of the body")
Ilta = Meeting (literally "evening", but can be used similarly as terms like "game night" = people gathering to play games)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: An amazing whirlwind (43/1937)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

thisusedyet posted:

Cat's ghost riding the whip back in the 20s?

Car couldn't make it up the hill loaded.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

~Coxy posted:

And He Did!
A Cautionary Tale

Thank you for this. I haven't thought about this book in... 25 years, I think? But this made me remember it instantly.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/3/02

Stephen Collins is political and mildly cannibalistic.

Brenda Starr 11/14/48

Smokey Stover 4/18/48

("Plug" was also slang for an old, worn-out horse.)

Retail from the 1930s 3/23/35

"You should hear what Madge's been saying about you -- that you're refined, stuck-up, and always acting like a lady."

Bonus Letter to the Editor! Someone has no fear of messing with Texas.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Oh no, they put bows on the boy dog, I guess? That's it, that's the punchline.

quote:

Safe Havens

What the christ.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (June 7, 1975)

Don't You Do It, TomBat

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 4, 1939)

We've reached a milestone with these Out Our Way posts, because yesterday's post was the final batch of dailies from the sixteen year Digital Comics Museum stockpile I've been milking since 2013. In case you came in late, here's the full collection, and thank you to DCM member JonTheScanner for the gift I have ruthlessly pillaged lo these many years.

Anyway, we're launching into 1939 today, so whoever was wondering a few pages back how OOW would deal with WW2, you won't have to wait much longer now. (January 2-4, 1939, so hey, we caught up with Popeye, too.)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Is Out Our Way set in its current era, in this case 1939, or is it supposed to take place earlier, around the turn of the century? I somehow got the impression it was all about nostalgia that adults in the 1920s and 1930s might have for their own childhoods.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kid Fenris posted:

Is Out Our Way set in its current era, in this case 1939, or is it supposed to take place earlier, around the turn of the century? I somehow got the impression it was all about nostalgia that adults in the 1920s and 1930s might have for their own childhoods.

I think that's what the "Born Thirty Years Too Soon" strips are aiming at.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Yeah, by the time Williams reaches the end of his run in the 50s, Worry Wart's sitting in front of a TV while he's having his moments, which pretty well settles it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Don edition)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Batiuk is definitely about to do a racial prejudice arc with the third and fourth black characters I've ever seen in his work, who were both seemingly introduced about a week ago

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

somepartsareme posted:

Batiuk is definitely about to do a racial prejudice arc with the third and fourth black characters I've ever seen in his work, who were both seemingly introduced about a week ago

Maybe he’ll match his gender inequality arc by making this ultimately about old white guys again.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Did his ICE arc end with them calling Bill Clinton to stop the deportation, and then sitting down for laughs and pizza with the ICE agents, or did I hallucinate that

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"We almost ruined your life, lol!"

"Bill Clinton ate pizza here once, I'll call him up for a personal favor!"

"That was easy, I guess immigration policing isn't all it's cracked up to be! You ICE guys are just doing your jobs!"

LAUGH TRACK

"Hey, did that broad bring back my pizza warmer bags she lost when her life was almost ruined?!"

Hauntingly real, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

If Les and his living wife are at the mall and show up to help them so help me...

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Were you looking at another man? Maybe you lied about what you were doing?"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G