Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

The ships are required to counter the control malus which is a scaling modifier up to -100% of all production in that sector. You'll want 4-5 of all the non-scount and dreadnoughts, the last of which you'll usually end up with 2-3 and scout ships you'll just want to use to fill leftover support for knowledge cap.

Soul forge is indeed quite good and required to progress further, you'll also unlock another building for it which lowers the required souls per gem which you'll also want to keep capped.

Andromeda has been out long enough that the script is pretty decent about it all, and will keep your ships where they should be. One early trap is that you shouldn't build any Vitreloy plants (the script typically won't either) as it's the only production facility in the sector so if you DO build one it'll need ships - the Super Freighters stack on top of the normal freighters and are affected by their sector instead.

For general soul gem use I'd suggest capping the script to building 2-3 repair droids, no war droids, and uncapped predator drones with the rest going into ships. Make sure you're also capping out military cap buildings and gene editing out any negative combat traits.

Thanks for the tips. I also realized there's a new stellar forge building that I completely missed and wasn't building. That's probably why everything has seemed so brutally slow so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Any decent idlers for mobile these days?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Farm RPG has been fun, it's a bit different than a traditional idler but I like it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This one's new and sorta good.
Very similar to groundhog life
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.paranoidsquirrels.beyond_idle

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
So as I near the end of my first-ever 3* ascension, I have to wonder: How long does a 4* ascension typically take? A week? 3* is going to take me about 4 days all told. Maybe longer. I just unlocked the space elevator and I know there's a bunch of crap after that. It's a hell of a slog.

My next objective is to build a custom race (slaver for inheritance purposes plus any other good things I can fit in there without costing too much), clean up the handful of 4* MAD (3 races)/bioseeds (1 planet modifier) I'm missing in heavy, then take a run at banana republic and/or truepath and see if I can make any meaningful progress. After that, blackhole over to magic, do the achievements there, BH to micro, achievements, then do a few more 3* ascensions in the other universes.

Is infusing the pillars challenge-level-dependent like everything else? I know the achievements will be, I mean the bonus itself.

I assume 3* technophobe should be done a bit later.

If any of that sounds like a waste of time or something that's way beyond where I'm at, let me know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Somfin posted:

Any decent idlers for mobile these days?

I've been playing:

Grimoire Incremental
Upload simulator
Speedrunner simulator idle

None of them have really demanded money for progress. Upload simulator just seems real generous with the offline gains still

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

So as I near the end of my first-ever 3* ascension, I have to wonder: How long does a 4* ascension typically take? A week? 3* is going to take me about 4 days all told. Maybe longer. I just unlocked the space elevator and I know there's a bunch of crap after that. It's a hell of a slog.

My next objective is to build a custom race (slaver for inheritance purposes plus any other good things I can fit in there without costing too much), clean up the handful of 4* MAD (3 races)/bioseeds (1 planet modifier) I'm missing in heavy, then take a run at banana republic and/or truepath and see if I can make any meaningful progress. After that, blackhole over to magic, do the achievements there, BH to micro, achievements, then do a few more 3* ascensions in the other universes.

Is infusing the pillars challenge-level-dependent like everything else? I know the achievements will be, I mean the bonus itself.

I assume 3* technophobe should be done a bit later.

If any of that sounds like a waste of time or something that's way beyond where I'm at, let me know.

5-7days for a pillar-ascension is pretty normal, yeah.

For your custom species you should take most of the negative traits and just gene-edit out the undesirable ones (-combat) so you can slam in more positive traits. Just note that cost to remove traits scales with how many total traits you have so it'll cost a few hundred plasmids each so only worth it on hard challenges/hell runs/custom pillar-ascension until you hit proper endgame.

Truepath is current endgame and I would highly suggest not attempting it until you're further along - all the crispr unlocked, at least, and probably starting into blood infusions. All the other major perks, etc. Storage especially is a huge bottleneck to third-tier reset truepath.

Pillars are NOT challenge level dependent for the Harmonic Energy bonus. Achievement and Feat are, yes.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 1, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I just picked up NGU again from an older save since it was all I could find. Went from having quests unlocked to having just killed Jeff. Oh well, I have some re-learning to do anyway. I had a stupid amount of PP and Exp that I probably didn't use correctly but whatever, that magic will be useful eventually. I also bought the newbie pack for the second time I think. NGU is good.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Wizard and Minion Idle is pretty darn good. At first it may not seem like much, but it opens up quickly and just piles on more features akin to NGU while doing its own thing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I've been playing:

Grimoire Incremental

This one's a banger

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Alright, finally finishing up this ascension run in evolve idle. I'm just making the 100-segment building at this point, should be done in about a day. That took awhile but w/e, I guess I got the 4* version out of the way first.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

Alright, finally finishing up this ascension run in evolve idle. I'm just making the 100-segment building at this point, should be done in about a day. That took awhile but w/e, I guess I got the 4* version out of the way first.

You still will need to build a poo poo load of thermal collectors after that, so add 4 or 5 hours for that. I think I needed around 50.

I finished my 3* yesterday afternoon. The ability to create a custom race makes a huge difference -- I'm doing a black hole run with banana republic and it's zooming by minus the soul gem wall. Less than a day to get to BH, and that's with the banana republic restrictions in place.

I'm going to go back and 4* ascension once I clean up some achievements and get the mastery gene. I'm definitely curious to check out the magic universe, although the unmodified balorg achievement seems like it'll be a pain in the rear end.

I don't need to ascend in standard, right? Doing it in heavy got me the benefits for both?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Somfin posted:

This one's a banger

I paid for the IAP after getting a full reset once. I got enough time to justify my Google survey money at it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

I don't need to ascend in standard, right? Doing it in heavy got me the benefits for both?

Correct. There's no reason to ever return to standard unless you didn't get the universe-specific blackhole achievement at 4*

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Evolve idle:

Is there a way to keep piracy to basically nothing or am I supposed to just live with 80% production loss?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

Evolve idle:

Is there a way to keep piracy to basically nothing or am I supposed to just live with 80% production loss?

Apparently you go slow and don't expand until you have piracy under control in your currently unlocked systems. You buy ships and station them in different systems.

The evolve idle script handles optimally distributing them if you don't want to figure it out yourself.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The evolve script sucks at that then, because all my production is poo poo and I'm wondering if I should fiddle with the knobs on the script.

It's hard to know though, because this might just be the best it can do.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
The Evolve script requires a WHOLE lot more tinkering with depending what you're trying to do than the Trimps script does, but that's also because Evolve is far more complicated

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Agent355 posted:

Evolve idle:

So there's a few breakpoints where piracy max increases. Under fleet settings the script tries to compensate for these by having a minimum knowledge required to hit the points which generally should leave you enough time to build up ships before hitting the next one. With enough cruisers and dreads you can get zero piracy even after all the cap increases - don't forget the passive defenses as well. There's also no need to build vitraloy plants so that system can be ignored for ships and defenses to save production elsewhere.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Can races with the terrifying trait not use alchemy? Because that's not called out anywhere I've seen and is kind of loving up my plan for magic universe.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Can races with the terrifying trait not use alchemy? Because that's not called out anywhere I've seen and is kind of loving up my plan for magic universe.

Terrifying can absolutely use alchemy, and if I recall that's how I got past the iridium wall in my own You Shall Pass run.

You do, however, still need to be able to use alchemy in general, which requires the Alchemy tech available after Mad Science (and Rituals, but that's much earlier). And it requires spare mana and crystals to actually perform.

Much, much later - in intergalactic, after Metaphysics - you get another tech, Advanced Transmutation, which upgrades alchemy to a. give 5x more output and b. let you create a wider variety of poo poo from it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I recently had a good time with Orb of Creation. What are some of other people’s favorite short incremental games? The only other one I’ve played is the paperclip one (which was also quite good).

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Vil posted:

Terrifying can absolutely use alchemy, and if I recall that's how I got past the iridium wall in my own You Shall Pass run.

You do, however, still need to be able to use alchemy in general, which requires the Alchemy tech available after Mad Science (and Rituals, but that's much earlier). And it requires spare mana and crystals to actually perform.

Much, much later - in intergalactic, after Metaphysics - you get another tech, Advanced Transmutation, which upgrades alchemy to a. give 5x more output and b. let you create a wider variety of poo poo from it.

Really weird, I guess the evolve script is broken. I have it set to do 50/50 split between rituals and alchemy and it's allocating nothing to alchemy.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

nrook posted:

I recently had a good time with Orb of Creation. What are some of other people’s favorite short incremental games? The only other one I’ve played is the paperclip one (which was also quite good).

A Dark Room is one of the oldies, but it fits the bill.

Spaceplan is kinda similar to paperclips in length.

Trash the Planet is a fun one where you're a racoon that learns about the wonders of capitalism. Has nice graphics to boot.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Really weird, I guess the evolve script is broken. I have it set to do 50/50 split between rituals and alchemy and it's allocating nothing to alchemy.

So, as far as I can tell it's a bug...

let manaToUse = resources.Mana.rateOfChange * (resources.Mana.storageRatio > 0.99 ? 1 : settings.productionRitualManaUse);

If your mana is capped (resources.Mana.storageRatio > 0.99), it completely ignores the split you have defined and uses 100% of your mana for rituals. I can't imagine how that's desirable or correct behavior. Too bad there's no place I can open an issue or submit a PR. I'll just have to fork it myself in the meantime.

[edit] Yup, changing that line is now leaving me with half of my mana unused, but it's still not allocating anything to alchemy, so it's probably another bug in the alchemy allocation logic...

Yeah, the logic for weighted distribution makes no sense. I'm going to find another place where it does weighted distribution and see if I can just copy/paste the logic.

Has anyone else ever noticed this problem, is it new, or am I using it incorrectly?

[edit 1000]
Jesus, now it's not turning navigation beacons on because "still have some non-operating buildings", when the only unpowered buildings I have are moon buildings that would be powered if the navigation beacon was on. And I have 18 MW to spare, so there's no reason to not have it on. :argh: I'm just finding all the bugs today.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 4, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

nrook posted:

i just replayed Endless Stairwell which is great fun. I stress it's incremental but not meaningfully idle at all.

The alkahistorian games are good too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cookie Clicker just got a new update. New building, a new tier of upgrades and some other stuff

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xelkelvos posted:

Cookie Clicker just got a new update. New building, a new tier of upgrades and some other stuff
did it change the gold-cookies-and-spells active play meta at all?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Evolve: I've just been super casually puttering around on this for a bit, and I've really hit onto a spot that feels weird: I've gotten to the point where I'm making the Bioseed ship, but it feels like it's just a super slog to get it made. Just hours and hours of Neutronium and Nanotubes (which take Neutronium), and not very good ways to improve this (the only source I have for Neutroniums is Outposts, which are hideously expensive for tiny output, and Drones cost Neutronium to make a tiny overall increase).

Have I missed something obvious or is this something that's just supposed to be a lull that gets better as you gain meta-progression?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Evolve: I've just been super casually puttering around on this for a bit, and I've really hit onto a spot that feels weird: I've gotten to the point where I'm making the Bioseed ship, but it feels like it's just a super slog to get it made. Just hours and hours of Neutronium and Nanotubes (which take Neutronium), and not very good ways to improve this (the only source I have for Neutroniums is Outposts, which are hideously expensive for tiny output, and Drones cost Neutronium to make a tiny overall increase).

Have I missed something obvious or is this something that's just supposed to be a lull that gets better as you gain meta-progression?

Did you push research to quantum manufacturing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Did you push research to quantum manufacturing?

Yes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If this is your first bioseed then yes it's a slow wall you just need to grind through.

Definitely build some drones though - you can math out how much neutronium the rest of the ship will cost you all-up, and from there work out whether each drone will pay back the amount you've spent on it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

If this is your first bioseed then yes it's a slow wall you just need to grind through.

Definitely build some drones though - you can math out how much neutronium the rest of the ship will cost you all-up, and from there work out whether each drone will pay back the amount you've spent on it.

Second, and yeah, there's probably a small gain doing a couple of drones, but the math is a pain since there's a bunch of second-order effects going on.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

It could just be that your mastery and/or plasmids are low. For better or worse this is a game that rewards repetition and only provides upgrades in very small increments at a time. It eventually gets faster but even much further along than you are a 4* bioseed run will take 16 hours or so, and end game runs take a week or longer.

What are your stats (check under the perks tab)? Are you familiar with the challenge modes and how you get better rewards for prestige resets the more you have active?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

It could just be that your mastery and/or plasmids are low. For better or worse this is a game that rewards repetition and only provides upgrades in very small increments at a time. It eventually gets faster but even much further along than you are a 4* bioseed run will take 16 hours or so, and end game runs take a week or longer.

What are your stats (check under the perks tab)? Are you familiar with the challenge modes and how you get better rewards for prestige resets the more you have active?

4.25% General Mastery

I'm ok with it being slow. I'm in no rush. Just wanted to makes sure I had not missed anything yet.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Toshimo posted:

4.25% General Mastery

I'm ok with it being slow. I'm in no rush. Just wanted to makes sure I had not missed anything yet.

Early evolve is very slow. Save your phage unless it's something critical (first level in content or tactical) and you'll speed up in no time. The first run or two of a new tier of reset will always a take a while but afterwards it'll speed up again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm trying to noodle the stock market changes, since I'm still at around 3% progress on the drat one year earnings achievement.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Has anyone else ever noticed this problem, is it new, or am I using it incorrectly?

Mine works fine with the script and alchemy - did you change change the script's weightings off of 0 for the resources you want?

The main reason to do Magic universe for late game is because of ritual scaling, especially for crafting and war magics, so only spending 10-15% of magic on rare resources like Orichalcum is worth it.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 5, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FG Games just started a new idler heavily based on factorio/satisfactory/dyson sphere project type games https://freddecgames.github.io/fgfactory/

It's pretty rough and a few times F5-ing to get the new build got me past where I was stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Needs 100% of capacity to upgrade storage. Also the time that takes to upgrade is bugged, but I won't hold that against them.

edit: upgrading labs doesn't change how long in progress research takes

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 5, 2022