Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Who the gently caress do fortunetellers think they're kidding? Fuckity gently caress prophecies

(A greasy haired jack black lookin jock told 12 year old me that the world would end in 2012 and my face turned purple)
(5 years later I would suffer a 650 hour anxiety attack for the whole month of December until the date passed)
(I did not fully recover for three years)

Uhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people talk about "panic attacks"like its the most normal thing in the world but frankly i have never experienced anything like that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The normalcy of panic attacks should be normalized.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
ur posting is so bad its giving me a series of panic attacks

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shibawanko posted:

people talk about "panic attacks"like its the most normal thing in the world but frankly i have never experienced anything like that

People experience things differently from you and you are suprised?

I think telling people to gently caress off if they are filming you should be acceptable in any circumstance. Especially if its so that they can mock you.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Jun 4, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

People experience things differently from you and you are suprised?

i also dont know anybody who has panic attacks or heard anybody talk about them irl. its just one of those things i never hear about outside of this website

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Apparently at least one in five people have had one.

I thought I was having one once but turned out I had arrhythmia and they took me to hospital because my heart rate was over 200 and I had to be medicated lol xd.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

i also dont know anybody who has panic attacks or heard anybody talk about them irl. its just one of those things i never hear about outside of this website

So no-ones told you about it and your reaction has been "its not really real". Most likely some people have experienced them in a friendship group you have but they have, apparently, decided not to tell you. It's like thinking you don't know any autistic folks just because no one has said it to you, or LGBT+.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Most "panic attacks" are self induced attention seeking.

Oh no it's a bit crowded in a place I don't want to be let me pretend to hyperventilate.

It's one of the terrible things that can happen to people that has been latched onto by idiots to make themselves feel better.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What does it cost you to be kind to someone whose having an anxiety attack? What is lost by extending help?

I had to deal with a dying duckling a few days ago at work and had to go and have a little cry and my colleagues were all really helpful. It cost them nothing to be kind to someone who was upset.

Do you think it makes you smarter to say "they are faking it" or more tough? I'm interested to know.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Crying over a dying baby animal isn't an attack its just being sad.

You can just be sad, its okay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm sad reading this thread RN.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guyver posted:

Crying over a dying baby animal isn't an attack its just being sad.

You can just be sad, its okay.

Do you not see how your own ideas apply outward to other, similar, things? Like, it surely isn't too much of a jump for many folks to say that "crying over that is just attention seeking".

Also any response to the other questions?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

same. but i'll believe everyone else is having them constantly.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Do you not see how your own ideas apply outward to other, similar, things? Like, it surely isn't too much of a jump for many folks to say that "crying over that is just attention seeking".

Also any response to the other questions?

Crying is attention seeking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People cry when they're absolutely alone, too, and never tell anyone about it, tho. (This isn't an opinion, sorry.)

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you're crying alone you should try to find some help.

It'll be okay.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Guyver posted:

If you're crying alone you should try to find some help.

It'll be okay.

Ah, yes, why doesn't the person in crisis just "find some help". zeep zorp robot noises, stop leaking salt water, hu-man.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

What do you have against people seeking help?

Need to talk about it?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Guyver posted:

What do you have against people seeking help?

Need to talk about it?

yes, clearly that's what I'm saying and not that it's possible they're crushed by hopelessness and feel that seeking help is pointless or counterproductive or a burden or any of a thousand things.

Lemme guess, depressed people should just try "feeling happy"?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

No because feeling happy is just temporary if that for some people.

You sure you don't need someone to talk things out with?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

So no-ones told you about it and your reaction has been "its not really real". Most likely some people have experienced them in a friendship group you have but they have, apparently, decided not to tell you. It's like thinking you don't know any autistic folks just because no one has said it to you, or LGBT+.

i never said they arent real, although i do think that this place tends to latch onto things like that in a weird way, since it seems to attract a lot of narcissists

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

i never said they arent real, although i do think that this place tends to latch onto things like that in a weird way, since it seems to attract a lot of narcissists

On at least the later point I would agree.

But, regardless of the rest, people you know have experienced them around you. And it doesn't take anything to be kinder to folks who do suffer from it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Josef bugman posted:

On at least the later point I would agree.

But, regardless of the rest, people you know have experienced them around you. And it doesn't take anything to be kinder to folks who do suffer from it.

Exactly the sort of thing I would expect a deeply decent person with the love of humanity in their heart to say

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

oldpainless posted:

Exactly the sort of thing I would expect a deeply decent person with the love of humanity in their heart to say

Woah woah woah, let's all calm down before we start giving compliments we can't take back here!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I love this because people always tell on themselves with it.

'Nobody I know is willing to trust me with their vulnerabilities and inner life, therefore nobody has any! Beep boop.'

Congrats you let the whole thread know everyone rl thinks you're kind of a dismissive prick too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Olives are great cause you see someone eating olives and you walk up and say "You gonna eat Olive those?!" guaranteed chuckles right there
Are you a dad? That's a certified dad joke.

Caufman posted:

Why do olives taste like zombie testicles while olive oil tastes delicious?
Same reason tomatoes taste like zombie testicles while ketchup tastes great

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
uncultured swine

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I hope so. Its up to all of us to try and be better. Even if it is by telling a teenager to gently caress off when he starts taking pictures of your girlfriend as "Snapchat laughs".

Robobot posted:

Woah woah woah, let's all calm down before we start giving compliments we can't take back here!

True. But I am grateful for the compliment.

Captain Monkey posted:

I love this because people always tell on themselves with it.

It does sometimes feel that way.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Shibawanko posted:

I'm sorry for your limited experience in life. You seem kinda of a dick tho so not that sorry.

*for you, personally; we must all of course bear the suffering of mankind

doverhog has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Jun 4, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve personally experienced a panic attack. It wasn’t pleasant! I’d rather not go through it again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doverhog posted:

I'm sorry for your limited experience in life. You seem kinda of a dick tho so not that sorry.

*for you, personally; we must all of course bear the suffering of mankind

im said to be a nice person. i just really hate narcissism and people who love to spotlight themselves

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
In my 20s I'd had two panic attacks, which were at that time all the ones I'd had in my entire life, but in my 30s a doctor prescribed me Adderall and throughout the year kept increasing the dose and I was having panic attacks several times a week. I haven't had a panic attack in five years since getting off Adderall, but my experience left me with loving wounds. I am terrified of panic attacks now, or the idea that I could have one. I mean, it's not going to send me into a panic attack, worrying about panic attacks, but it's still a thing that I now regularly have to add to my fuckin baggage. Being reduced to a blubbering mess, where all I hear is SOUND and my lungs feel smaller than a dime, it's a loving awful state.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Same reason tomatoes taste like zombie testicles while ketchup tastes great

Not sure about that. Ketchup tasting that way probably has something to do with the fact that they put 3 lbs of sugar per teaspoon of ketchup.

Plain tomato juice tastes like the blood you get from squeezing a very ripe zombie's testicles.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

credburn posted:

In my 20s I'd had two panic attacks, which were at that time all the ones I'd had in my entire life, but in my 30s a doctor prescribed me Adderall and throughout the year kept increasing the dose and I was having panic attacks several times a week. I haven't had a panic attack in five years since getting off Adderall, but my experience left me with loving wounds. I am terrified of panic attacks now, or the idea that I could have one. I mean, it's not going to send me into a panic attack, worrying about panic attacks, but it's still a thing that I now regularly have to add to my fuckin baggage. Being reduced to a blubbering mess, where all I hear is SOUND and my lungs feel smaller than a dime, it's a loving awful state.

that sounds like it sucks. so you think it's a meds thing?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

im said to be a nice person.

Who said that?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

that sounds like it sucks. so you think it's a meds thing?

No, I experienced it before without the meds, but Adderall did shoot my panic threshold to such a degree that it didn't take much to trigger it.

Should also say that Adderall under the right dosages and responsible management can really help people and I know people who take it and it works great for them; it just didn't for me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shibawanko posted:

Never? and that doesn't scare you?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

TBF I never had a classical panic attack (that I know of) but if you are always either drunk or in alcohol withdrawal it's probably hard to tell.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jun 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: AI-generated pictures aren’t art